Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Jeez, the promised trade in price beats the price I got for my iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB. But if they are giving you that kind of run around that sucks. I think they are contracting with a third party service for the trades, aren’t they? That may be the reason for the slow decision making and communication.

Yeah it's a 3rd party doing the trades. I'll just sit back on wait. If google wants to screw me on this I'm done with them. I'll pull the damn nest thermostat off the wall and replace it with an Ecobee at this point. lol

Reactions: 5105973

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
I literally have everything crossed for you.
I think you deserve a good one after all the problems you've had.

I understand why everyone keeps having pangs to go back to their Pixels, or to keep trying.
It really is a fantastic phone.

I was looking through some pictures before on my Google photos (which my iPhone X pics also sync to) and this one I took in a lower light setting having breakfast one morning at the Trafford Centre speaks volumes:

iPhone X

dPgTD7J.jpg

Pixel 2

2jx8YGs.jpg

The light in the middle is the one. The Pixel just gobbles up the photo (in a good way) and the iPhone struggles.
I still can't get over how good the camera is on Pixel.
One thing I noted earlier in this lighting situation with X is to manually enable HDR as needed rather than rely on the phone to. I found it doesn't get used often enough and really helps in these situations, taking a much more comparable photo between my two devices

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Connecting through Bluetooth I get so much better sound through non-Beats speakers and headphones on my Pixel 2 than I do my iPhone 8 Plus (and the X when I had it). I vaguely remembering there was a technical reason for the difference but not being an intense audiophile I don’t remember what exactly it was. Something about Apt x or something like that.

Edit update. Okay I just saw the article on the Apt X codec. I don’t know if that’s at play here in what I observed.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
One thing I noted earlier in this lighting situation with X is to manually enable HDR as needed rather than rely on the phone to. I found it doesn't get used often enough and really helps in these situations, taking a much more comparable photo between my two devices

Oh, interesting, thanks for the advice! Will try that! :)

It certainly might help, as in my experience of both phones, the Pixel 2's camera always came out on top, apart from maybe needing that second optical zoom which is a much used feature by me on my iPhone.

Imagine the Pixel camera with dual lenses. :eek:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think, though...not sure, will need to do some tests, that zooming on the Pixel 2 really doesn’t lose you significant detail and the zoomed photos will still look good compared to the 2X zoom photos or an 8 Plus. Not so sure compared to an X, though.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Have both the XL and X on vacation with me. Even in the best of light, it’s not a contest unfortunately. And in dim lighting, the extra lens plus OIS is a big asset.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Have both the XL and X on vacation with me. Even in the best of light, it’s not a contest unfortunately. And in dim lighting, the extra lens plus OIS is a big asset.

You think the X is a better camera than the Pixel 2? In dim lighting?
o_O

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Optical zoom is always going to trump digital zoom. I'm craving a Pixel 3 with dual lens, and that's surely got to happen I'd think.

I'll be taking a trip to the mountains to photograph some waterfalls and such with the 2XL this weekend. Can't wait to see the results.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
My sisters 2 XL is updating to the january patch (I presume), that is if I didn't break the device. I uninstalled magisk and flashed the boot image from the current (not OTA) then accepted the OTA after things booted up. I think she is just going to forgo root access and leave the device as stock as she can.

Mine? Still no OTA yet

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Some would say deranged. Others - silly. Some might go with foolish.
Most would say addicted. Lots would agree on crazy.

I say, thorough. :D.
And this one is here to stay. X is on eBay and the profits will go towards things that we need in the home.

I REGRET NOTHING.
Currently...

bddVp5p.jpg

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas

And this one is here to stay. X is on eBay and the profits will go towards things that we need in the home.

I REGRET NOTHING.
Currently...

bddVp5p.jpg

This made my day. Lol

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois

I REGRET NOTHING.
Currently...

bddVp5p.jpg

You and I are in the same boat, my across the pond friend. I love the X, I really do, but it just isn't worth all that extra money for me. I'm going to give my Pixel 2 (or OnePlus 5T) a go for the foreseeable future. Because I also like to live dangerously...

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I guess for me there was just something about the Pixel 2. There is also something about the X and it will be difficult to wave it off goodbye but I think ultimately, the money from the X sale will really come in handy. I just love the form factor of this little Pixel too.

I think if I didn't have the Pixelbook, I may not be in this predicament... But it works so well with it that it almost seems silly not to own a Pixel 2, especially with how cheap they are now and how much I like it.

Also, I think the sale for the Pixels are ending tomorrow over here. So it will be back up to £629 instead of £499 from then. That's kinda why I jumped on it again now just in case I regretted it next week...

The Kinda Blue is gorgeous. More Kinda Grey, but I like it all the same.
After owning the 2 XL for a few days, the only thing I missed from it was that orange button. But got me a minty fresh one now, so imma happy man!

WxGsMVE.jpg

Uw8NU39.jpg

VAgRzi3.jpg

It also seems to not have the weird quirk my white one did (Frosty, lol).
When I double tapped to get a full stop (period), at the end of a sentence, my white one used to almost have a delay and I'd end up with a space and then a full stop.
Like this .

This blue one doesn't do that, thankfully. :)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
You and I are in the same boat, my across the pond friend. I love the X, I really do, but it just isn't worth all that extra money for me. I'm going to give my Pixel 2 (or OnePlus 5T) a go for the foreseeable future. Because I also like to live dangerously...

If you want an iPhone X without spending that huge sticker price? Galaxy S8 is pretty damn comparable and then some. Ok, no dual cameras or Dolby HDR compliance, but you get a higher resolution screen, more RAM, etc.

If you want the best android software experience, Pixel 2 or XL 2 has a great blend of hardware and software.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013

I REGRET NOTHING.
Currently...

bddVp5p.jpg
Lol

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Got the OTA for my device not too long ago, didn't know I had an OTA until it told me it failed the install. Guess I need to switch of automatic updates.

So, unrooted uninstalled magisk, reflashed the stock boot image and got my fingers crossed this thing don't hang since I have tinkered with it. :eek:

Edit:

I wonder if I am crazy enough to attempt to install the beta xposed framework... o_O

Edit 2

Looks like everything went according to plan. Magisk updated and re installed, Jan 5 ota patch patched, adaway looks to be working.

Next patch, probably the same thing. Kind of a bit of a bummer as this root is kind of tethered but so far manageable.

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I'm trying not to mention the Pixelbook but there's seems very few places people discuss it. I've been trying to find out some kind of list of apps (or at least major apps) that work properly on it. Do any of the Pixelbook owners here know of anywhere?

The 256gb currently has a delay in the UK store. So tempted to order one to try but also don't want to pay full price and miss out on another deal like I did my Pixel by a week.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No definitely not. But digital zoom vs optical zoom? Yes, in that scenario.
Thanks! You saved me some effort testing. Ugh, I’m getting bogged down in chores and stuff until Sunday, so though I can visit here I can’t play a whole lot with my Pixel 2, Snowball. I’m going to do a quick test of the video in daylight on Wednesday, but that’s it.

Snowball and “Ermine” (8 Plus) —named after the animal in my current avatar, are both behaving well so far. Ermine gets tested on a call with my dad tomorrow. That’s where my returned 8 Plus failed. But I’ve already been on calls with my husband on it and the call quality was excellent.
[doublepost=1515542352][/doublepost]
:eek:

I REGRET NOTHING.
Currently...

bddVp5p.jpg
I don’t believe what I’m reading. :eek::eek::eek:

I saw the pictures under the post that I’m replying to. Wow it’s gorgeous. I love that mint green button. Mint green was my favorite color in the 80’s.
[doublepost=1515542710][/doublepost]
I'm trying not to mention the Pixelbook but there's seems very few places people discuss it. I've been trying to find out some kind of list of apps (or at least major apps) that work properly on it. Do any of the Pixelbook owners here know of anywhere?

The 256gb currently has a delay in the UK store. So tempted to order one to try but also don't want to pay full price and miss out on another deal like I did my Pixel by a week.
I wish I could answer your questions. I just got my husband’s 2016 IPad Pro for my birthday last summer so I guess I don’t need a pixel book anytime soon. And my really old retina mini and mini 4 are still staggering along under all the wonky iOS updates.

But give me a year to check out my daughter’s new but cheap chromebook and to learn more from everyone here and maybe, just maybe, next birthday I might join the Pixelbook club, too. They might go on sale, since an updated one would be released a couple of months later.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Just a fi update if anyone is interested...

So far burned through 530mb of my 1gb and have about 10 more days left in my billing cycle.

In other data news, I've burned through almost 40gb on wifi lol :eek:o_O

I'mma data junkie :confused:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013

Unfortunately, I do not know of such a list that exists. I believe that all of the apps are technically compatible. Some are optimized for the Pixelbook, but most run in their mobile window size/full screen.

An app like Twitter however, can be resized however you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: michael9891
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.