Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
I realized today that there is a bright side to having to RMA 3 times for the Pixel...

I now have 3 sets of the OEM Google PD Charger and USB cable. Have one for home, work, and the travel bag.

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I guess for me there was just something about the Pixel 2. There is also something about the X and it will be difficult to wave it off goodbye but I think ultimately, the money from the X sale will really come in handy. I just love the form factor of this little Pixel too.

I think if I didn't have the Pixelbook, I may not be in this predicament... But it works so well with it that it almost seems silly not to own a Pixel 2, especially with how cheap they are now and how much I like it.

Also, I think the sale for the Pixels are ending tomorrow over here. So it will be back up to £629 instead of £499 from then. That's kinda why I jumped on it again now just in case I regretted it next week...

The Kinda Blue is gorgeous. More Kinda Grey, but I like it all the same.
After owning the 2 XL for a few days, the only thing I missed from it was that orange button. But got me a minty fresh one now, so imma happy man!

It also seems to not have the weird quirk my white one did (Frosty, lol).
When I double tapped to get a full stop (period), at the end of a sentence, my white one used to almost have a delay and I'd end up with a space and then a full stop.
Like this .

This blue one doesn't do that, thankfully. :)

I was never that sold on the blue Pixel but it looks gorgeous in your pictures! I was in the same position as you just before Christmas only my GF ended up with the iPhone X, she gave me her 8 Plus that I just paid off the iUP yesterday so I can go sell it in town at weekend.

I absolutely love my Pixel 2.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
So tempted to pick up Pixel 2 from CPW while they are cheap(ish).

I loved my original one when I had it and kind of wish I never sold it. Trouble is with a 8+ and watch series 3 I'm finding it hard to justify it.

Need to scratch my Android itch again... must resist.

Subjective I know, but how does the blue one feel in hand vs the white? Does either one feel more premium than the other?

Reactions: kkh786

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I realized today that there is a bright side to having to RMA 3 times for the Pixel...

I now have 3 sets of the OEM Google PD Charger and USB cable. Have one for home, work, and the travel bag.
Oh I didn’t know you’d get full refund if you kept anything. Lol I would have kept the dongle for the headphones. I’m always misplacing my Apple ones.

Reactions: jamezr

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

The email returns instructions I received clearly said to include all accessories. Lucky to get away with not doing so.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
The email returns instructions I received clearly said to include all accessories. Lucky to get away with not doing so.
All 3 of my RMA emails stated to keep all cables and accessories, as the replacement unit may not come with any. I also double checked with the Google reps each time and they confirmed for me to keep my accessories. I think they're operating under the assumption that my RMA may be refurbished, but obviously this early in the Pixel 2 product cycle all replacements are brand new as far as I know. I've returned my previous 2 RMA's phone only without any issues, so I can't imagine it's any different this time around. Maybe the procedure is different over in the UK?

Also this is the RMA procedure; if you were doing a full return to the Google store for refund you'd have to include everything.

Reactions: Ralfi and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
All 3 of my RMA emails stated to keep all cables and accessories, as the replacement unit may not come with any. I also double checked with the Google reps each time and they confirmed for me to keep my accessories. I think they're operating under the assumption that my RMA may be refurbished, but obviously this early in the Pixel 2 product cycle all replacements are brand new as far as I know. I've returned my previous 2 RMA's phone only without any issues, so I can't imagine it's any different this time around. Maybe the procedure is different over in the UK?

Also this is the RMA procedure; if you were doing a full return to the Google store for refund you'd have to include everything.
I guess that makes sense to have different policies for different kinds of returns. Mine was the return within the return period. So was my husband’s, though he discovered after the fact he forgot to pack his charger back in but they credited him anyway.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Must be. I should have been allowed to keep them for all the hassle!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So tempted to pick up Pixel 2 from CPW while they are cheap(ish).

I loved my original one when I had it and kind of wish I never sold it. Trouble is with a 8+ and watch series 3 I'm finding it hard to justify it.

Need to scratch my Android itch again... must resist.

Subjective I know, but how does the blue one feel in hand vs the white? Does either one feel more premium than the other?

They feel identical.
It's only the black which differs, I believe as it is a bit more grippy.

Reactions: andy2141

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Phase one of my @GrumpyMom transition is complete. I returned my iPhone X and picked up a gently used 8 Plus from a friend for $600. Now begins phase 2 in trying to find a good deal on a Pixel 2. All the deals on Swappa are for black ones. I really am only interested in blue or white.

How's your 8 Plus/Pixel 2 combo going GrumpyMom?

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Phase one of my @GrumpyMom transition is complete. I returned my iPhone X and picked up a gently used 8 Plus from a friend for $600. Now begins phase 2 in trying to find a good deal on a Pixel 2. All the deals on Swappa are for black ones. I really am only interested in blue or white.

How's your 8 Plus/Pixel 2 combo going GrumpyMom?
Going great so far. I called my dad on the 8 Plus and the call quality was definitely improved over the unlocked one I had returned. :D

There was a new member on the iPhone part of the forum who found out her 8 Plus camera refused to flip over to selfie mode, so I checked that this morning. I gave myself quite a scare. :eek:

I will never ever look at the selfie cam first thing in the morning again. :eek::confused: I looked like I had been fighting raccoons over a roast chicken carcass in the trash. My hair was sticking up, and you could look at my eyes and tell I hadn’t had any coffee yet. Yikes.

Anyway, my Pixel 2 is doing great. I just wish it had a bit of support from my carrier. I do have a problem with my AT&T voicemail on it. Calls go to voicemail just fine but sound garbled and I can’t make the words out. I was testing from my iPhone 8 Plus. I’ll need to do a bit more testing from different phones.

I didn’t get a chance to test daylight video on either phone yet. I did a night video on the Pixel 2 and it did fine.

I’m in smartphone Nirvana right now. Neither is perfect but where one is weak, the other is strong so I’ve got a fabulous team.

I would love to hold onto this 8 Plus for as long as possible. Apple certainly spent enough years perfecting this form factor and I see that and appreciate it. Yes, it looks a bit dated, but it’s very utilitarian. I love this display. True Tone looks good on it. Definitely much better than it did on my X and even my husband’s X. I appreciate that repair costs and Apple Care costs, though high, won’t wreck our budget.

As for the Pixel, it’s so much fun. It’s smooth and fast.

Oh before I forget, a bit of warning for those of us with the light colored finishes especially, but this happens to dark phones as well: watch out for chemical staining from silicone and rubber cases. There’s something in them that causes etching into anodized and painted finishes. Perhaps glass, too, though I have yet to see it. I’ve got a bit of a honeycomb pattern from my case on Snowball now. I think it could cleaned off at this point but it’s faint so I’m leaving it alone if a light buff with distilled water doesn’t get it clean. On my 8 Plus I used to use isopropyl alcohol but I don’t know how the paint on the Pixel 2 would react to that.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Loving my replacement Pixel 2 XL Panda....it has been perfect so far. really love how easy and buttery smooth Android is on a Pixel device designed for it. Love the way notifications are handled and how much control I have over apps and which ones i want notifications and how they notify me. Then the camera is to die for......

Broke my hand the other day breaking up a dog fight at the dog park. This 110 GS had a JRT by the neck an trying to kill it so I punched him in the head and he let go but also broke 2 bones in my hand!

So i haven't been quite as involved in the forum lately as it is hard to type left handed! lol

Attachments

• 20180106_094906.jpg
    20180106_094906.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Loving my replacement Pixel 2 XL Panda....it has been perfect so far. really love how easy and buttery smooth Android is on a Pixel device designed for it. Love the way notifications are handled and how much control I have over apps and which ones i want notifications and how they notify me. Then the camera is to die for......

Broke my hand the other day breaking up a dog fight at the dog park. This 110 GS had a JRT by the neck an trying to kill it so I punched him in the head and he let go but also broke 2 bones in my hand!

So i haven't been quite as involved in the forum lately as it is hard to type left handed! lol
Ouch,wish you a fast recovery bro!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Oh my days that’s horrible. Hope the dog was ok? And hope your hand recovers quickly too.
Good on you for stepping in, very brave.

Glad you’ve seemingly got a keeper!! It was about time the Pixel 2 gods were good to you!! :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Oh goodness! Get well soon. I do sympathize. I've got anecdotes of my own I'll spare you, but suffice it to say I know what GSD attacks are like. So does my husband. We kicked rather than punched. I especially can't punch hard enough because I'm too small of a woman. But I have big feet! I'm a Hobbit. :p.

Our closest dog park has sections for big, medium and small dogs. But owners are more interested in socializing with each other so they ignore the warning signs. It's the small dogs who end up paying the price. Even people get mowed down and injured when the big dogs decide to run as a pack.

I know most other dog parks mix the sizes so everyone is just pressing their luck. The last two times we went my dog got injured and ended up at the vet. We have since moved out to more open rural land and she wanders the fenced in field next to my house.

I'm so happy you're enjoying your Panda Stormtrooper this time around.
I just downloaded Snapseed and quite like it! I also downloaded Google's File Go. And still learning my way around. I haven't picked an email app yet. I'm trying all of the suggestions out and that takes time to get a good feel for each of them.

I did finally get comfortable on the Pixel 2' thumboard. I like it just fine.

Oh I did get the rubber chemical stains off of Snowball. I did end up having to resort to isopropyl alcohol which I quickly rinsed off with distilled water on a wet tissue paper.

Snowball is once again naked. I do want a case to protect the camera lens when I set the phone down.

I think I'll order a Google fabric case for Snowball. I can't find any other kind that have microfiber lining.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Ouch.

But good job sticking up for the little guy saving his life.

Dog parks can be great places and also sketchy and scary at times, if bad people show up with their aggressive dog.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Anybody have the ambient display set to always on? I set that this morning, but I'm worried about the potential of burn-in. Hopefully they are doing some slight pixel shifting.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Anybody have the ambient display set to always on? I set that this morning, but I'm worried about the potential of burn-in. Hopefully they are doing some slight pixel shifting.
Yes mine is always on. It was something I used to wish the iPhone X had. I love it on my Samsung phones. On my S7 Edge I even had Shiba Inu on my display.

Google has a sale of $8 off on the fabric cases. I got two of them so I could get free shipping and have a tiny bit of variety. I got two that are pretty similar: Cement and Midnight. I wanted the colored buttons.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yes mine is always on. It was something I used to wish the iPhone X had. I love it on my Samsung phones. On my S7 Edge I even had Shiba Inu on my display.

Google has a sale of $8 off on the fabric cases. I got two of them so I could get free shipping and have a tiny bit of variety. I got two that are pretty similar: Cement and Midnight. I wanted the colored buttons.

Google is sneaky. $8 off a case but then you no longer get free shipping as you did before the sale.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Google is sneaky. $8 off a case but then you no longer get free shipping as you did before the sale.
I think there was always a minimum purchase amount for free shipping.
[doublepost=1515711976][/doublepost]
Pixel family,

I'm at a loss for words at this point. The replacement P2XL is now randomly starting to do this. Nearly blinded me earlier on the drive home when I went to unlock my phone.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pgB2q6tZZSct9Kcj2
Oh jeez. You don’t happen to be one of those people who can’t wear a watch because they stop running or make street lights flicker when you walk by? ;) Sorry, I know it’s not you. Google has a problem on their hands with the larger Pixel 2. I don’t know what kind or how much oversight they provided on the manufacture of the 2 XL but it clearly wasn’t enough.

Wow. I don’t know much about LG-made phones but this doesn’t speak well of their manufacturing process to have so many customers have to return their XL versions. The smaller Pixel 2 is not without flaws, as I found out with my first one. But as I peruse various forums and posts, the XL comes up way more often when problems are reported.

I hope @jamezr has luck with his.

I know my husband wants another one but I am going to urge him to wait for 3 or to consider the smaller 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.