Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
I unlocked my phone in the dark, at night, sitting in my car. Have you had the flash go off in your face, in the dark, when you didn't expect it? I don't know how my description could be dramatic. And also this is my 4th RMA, so I apologize if I sound like I'm complaining too much to you...

Yeah I was talking about the "nearly blinded" part of your original post on this matter. A camera flash is much brighter than the screen of a 2XL and you had just used the screen, while not fully white necessarily, so it just seemed like a hyperbolic statement when I originally read that post. Regardless, sorry to hear that you've had such bad luck so far. I was not aware of your personal history of various problems with this particular phone.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I wouldn't call it an issue, more something strange. If I'm using the eBay app and use the app switcher button, you can see it in the list of other apps open. But if use the app switcher while in another app, eBay disappears and have to open it from the home page icon. Anyone else have this?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sorry, I don’t use FB or EBay anymore. In fact, I’m so happy FB doesn’t come installed on Pixels. It infuriates me FB is embedded into Samsung and has some hooks into what Apple does, though iPhones don’t have it installed.

I was with extended family yesterday and gave the video cameras on Snowball (Pixel 2) and Ermine (iPhone 8 Plus) a workout. They both did very well. It was all very punishing lighting conditions like rooms lit only with modest chandelier lighting and Christmas lights. Both made good usable video on 4K @ 30 FPS.

The only issue I had was that Snowball got very hot at times. Ermine stayed cool. I once took a two hour video on my 7 Plus on 4K@30 FPS and it got hot only during the last half an hour or so. So I wasn’t surprised that the 8 Plus stayed cool. I was just surprised that the Pixel 2 got so hot. But my Androids always have done on 4K. My videos were from 1-5 minutes long.

For still photography, the 8 Plus did a nice job reproducing the lighting as I saw it. The Pixel 2 lets in a lot of light and makes a dark room look a lot brighter than it actually is. There are advantages to both and you just need to know how to work them. The 8 Plus did get some blurry shots. My X rarely got blur in bad lighting. So there’s a difference between the capabilities of the X and the 8 Plus. A lot of people say it’s not pertinent, but if you’re kind of demanding about these things as the family paparazzi in crappy lighting conditions, you will notice the difference. Still, it’s not a difference I can personally bring myself to pay $1300-$1500 for.

I didn’t notice any blurry photos with my Pixel 2.

Reactions: jamezr

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
It's been nearly two weeks with the 2 XL and I'm still absolutely in love. Also, I just discovered yesterday (by dumb luck) that I can have Google Assistant give me tomorrow's weather at a specific time of the day each day, as well as one interesting fact and one joke each day at a specific time. Goole Asisstant is truly impressive.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Reactions: akuma13

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I hope the Pixel 3/XL 3 have better QC. The 3 better also have minimal bezels and a similar form factor to modern flagships out these days. Let's see if Google takes the Synaptics route with an under-the-screen FP sensor or goes the Apple mainstream approach w/ a FaceID 3D sensor concept.

I prefer the 3D sensor concept since Apple made it more mainstream.

What I like about Google is their trade in prices are pretty solid for a Pixel 1st gen and the 7/7+ iPhones. If I can get like $425-$450 for my 8+ come November this year and it's only $500 selling on a Swappa or something? I might just go through Google because you have to pay out fees and shipping to get it done and it wouldn't be so worth it.

I am on the fence of the Pixel 2 XL, iPhone X 2017, or wait for the Pixel 3 or iPhone 2018 models to come out myself, but the Pixel 3 could be the leading candidate for my next phone if it fits into my budget of spending $300 on top of a trade in.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting. I just checked the manufacturer date of my 2 XL, and it says December 14th. So I'm assuming I have one of these newer ones without the issues.

According to the article it has little to do with the date and is just luck of the draw at this point.

That was my understanding from the article but then I read Cryates post above and wasn't sure I read it correctly.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Did anyone order a free Google Home mini based on a code you got even though you returned your Pixel?

I got a code for a free home mini for the first Pixel 2 I had ordered, even though I returned it. It looks like I can still redeem it. I just wonder if I'll get charged somehow because I did return the first Pixel 2. I was supposed to get a code for my second one but haven't received it yet. So I was thinking of redeeming the one for the first mini.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Did anyone order a free Google Home mini based on a code you got even though you returned your Pixel?

I got a code for a free home mini for the first Pixel 2 I had ordered, even though I returned it. It looks like I can still redeem it. I just wonder if I'll get charged somehow because I did return the first Pixel 2. I was supposed to get a code for my second one but haven't received it yet. So I was thinking of redeeming the one for the first mini.

You won't get charged. It's their error for sending you an email saying "Have a free Google home mini on us". When you go through the order process it says it costs £49 (in English money) with the total cost to pay £0. I'd place it now before it expires (if it does). I've had 3, despite only keeping 1. Technically I should have had 4 but 2 were on the same order. And not like I can complain. lol

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You won't get charged. It's their error for sending you an email saying "Have a free Google home mini on us". When you go through the order process it says it costs £49 (in English money) with the total cost to pay £0. I'd place it now before it expires (if it does). I've had 3, despite only keeping 1. Technically I should have had 4 but 2 were on the same order. And not like I can complain. lol
It expires February 28. I went ahead and redeemed the offer. We use Amazon Echo and Echo Dots around the house but I would like to try the Home Mini out, too. And of course the Siri Spot. Oh wait...I must have dreamed that product up. ;) Home Pod...I did want that but my husband vetoed the very idea as too expensive and too restrictive.

Reactions: michael9891

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I meant when I put my imei in, it didn't give me the manufacture date. Just some other details about my phone.

Did you use the second link that I posted? The first link that @Cryates posted, provided me with what you experienced. The second link gives out more detail about the phone, including manufactured and ship date.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.