Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
My fault for misinterpreting the article. I hadn't fully read it, but had seen some Twitter talk that said newer ones were better. It does seem it's very much still luck of the draw.

I'm just glad I seem to have gotten lucky. :D

On a similar note, this has got to make Apple at least a little nervous to use LG for it's larger displays this fall, right? Perhaps they think they can right the ship.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
My fault for misinterpreting the article. I hadn't fully read it, but had seen some Twitter talk that said newer ones were better. It does seem it's very much still luck of the draw.

I'm just glad I seem to have gotten lucky. :D

On a similar note, this has got to make Apple at least a little nervous to use LG for it's larger displays this fall, right? Perhaps they think they can right the ship.

If Apple has a hand in the manufacturing process or QC, sure. Noway will Apple let what's happened to the Pixel 2 XL spill over to it's product.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So I am thinking about making the switch from the iPhone X to the Google Pixel 2 XL. The X is a good phone but I’m really starting to notice that Apple is just not as stable as it used to be. I’ve had so many pop-ups on safari and minor lagging issues that I’m starting to look elsewhere.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1. Do you get used to the form factor after a while? The couple of times that I have played with it in the store I came away feeling a bit unimpressed, especially after owning the iPhone X.

2. Really minor, but is it possible to get the G on the Google search widget to have colors? I played with one in the store and couldn’t get it to switch from that ugly gray.

3. I know the camera is great and all judging by the reviews but I’m curious how good it is in situations where an object is moving. My kids are in sports and I don’t want every picture to come out blurry.

4. Do you consider this phone being one that you could use for months, possibly years? Or is it a phone that you’ll be happy with for a couple months and then get all excited about the new Galaxy phone came out?

5. Any other major annoyances? Like for me, my major annoyance with the iPhone X is that I’ve had many pop-ups come up on websites. Is there a way that I can block them on the Pixel without rooting?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
h3r0,

The issue you're experiencing is the same as me. People are saying its due to the 8.1 update, an rogue app, or faulty hardware. No one knows at this point as I'm reading the LG V30 has this issue as well (most closely related to the P2XL). I just know that my previous replacements did not have this issue, so for me personally I'm leaning more towards an hardware issue.

Are you switching over back to iPhone are contemplating on going the Pixel route for the fifth time?
[doublepost=1516129308][/doublepost]
5. Any other major annoyances? Like for me, my major annoyance with the iPhone X is that I’ve had many pop-ups come up on websites. Is there a way that I can block them on the Pixel without rooting?

Did you try using a blocker like Purify or does that only apply to ads

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I prefer the Samsung Internet browswer over Chrome and you can install "AdBlock Plus for Samsung Internet Browser" and it works wonderfully.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So I am thinking about making the switch from the iPhone X to the Google Pixel 2 XL. The X is a good phone but I’m really starting to notice that Apple is just not as stable as it used to be. I’ve had so many pop-ups on safari and minor lagging issues that I’m starting to look elsewhere.

1. Do you get used to the form factor after a while? The couple of times that I have played with it in the store I came away feeling a bit unimpressed, especially after owning the iPhone X.

2. Really minor, but is it possible to get the G on the Google search widget to have colors? I played with one in the store and couldn’t get it to switch from that ugly gray.

3. I know the camera is great and all judging by the reviews but I’m curious how good it is in situations where an object is moving. My kids are in sports and I don’t want every picture to come out blurry.

4. Do you consider this phone being one that you could use for months, possibly years? Or is it a phone that you’ll be happy with for a couple months and then get all excited about the new Galaxy phone came out?

You too eh? Haha.
The form factor is purely a preference thing. For me, the X is one of the best designs in years. Feels premium, looks fantastic, great build materials etc.
The Pixels just do not compare IMO. They basically feel cheap in comparison.

No idea re the Google search sorry.

Moving pictures are very good as the camera is so quick. Just as quick as the X, and does produce better results.

I don't think it is a phone that I would personally keep for a while. It's just not exciting enough. Some people love the software experience, and it is pretty unrivalled on the Android front, but the minute a sexier design comes along I know I will want to switch. But that's different peoples strokes. I also have an addiction. :D

The only other annoyances I have about the Pixel are the design. The 2 is my preference, as the XL is a bit too large, but it's almost just a touch too small. I also don't like fingerprint scanners on the back too much, so it's a little annoyance of mine.

Good luck. If I were you I'd try one out whilst you have your X so you can decide between them, but then you might end up torturing yourself like I have done!

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
You too eh? Haha.
The form factor is purely a preference thing. For me, the X is one of the best designs in years. Feels premium, looks fantastic, great build materials etc.
The Pixels just do not compare IMO. They basically feel cheap in comparison.

No idea re the Google search sorry.

Moving pictures are very good as the camera is so quick. Just as quick as the X, and does produce better results.

I don't think it is a phone that I would personally keep for a while. It's just not exciting enough. Some people love the software experience, and it is pretty unrivalled on the Android front, but the minute a sexier design comes along I know I will want to switch. But that's different peoples strokes. I also have an addiction. :D

The only other annoyances I have about the Pixel are the design. The 2 is my preference, as the XL is a bit too large, but it's almost just a touch too small. I also don't like fingerprint scanners on the back too much, so it's a little annoyance of mine.

Good luck. If I were you I'd try one out whilst you have your X so you can decide between them, but then you might end up torturing yourself like I have done!

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. I might try to hold both for 2 weeks too and going from there.

Man, I also really liked the Note 8 too. Anyone want to give me $2,000 so I can have all 3? Lol!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. I might try to hold both for 2 weeks too and going from there.

Man, I also really liked the Note 8 too. Anyone want to give me $2,000 so I can have all 3? Lol!

I think if you prefer Android and you have some issues with iOS, then the build quality and feel can be overlooked with the X. Android on Pixel really is just that good.

But for me, I can't seemingly get over how amazingly premium and sexy the X is in hand compared the the plasticy, bevelicious Pixel 2... And that' where my predicament seemingly is.
So I'm running with both at the moment! Which is not ideal.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I think if you prefer Android and you have some issues with iOS, then the build quality and feel can be overlooked with the X. Android on Pixel really is just that good.

But for me, I can't seemingly get over how amazingly premium and sexy the X is in hand compared the the plasticy, bevelicious Pixel 2... And that' where my predicament seemingly is.
So I'm running with both at the moment! Which is not ideal.

Someone that likes both iOS and android, how has the switch away from iMessage been for you?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Someone that likes both iOS and android, how has the switch away from iMessage been for you?

It doesn't bother me as I don't actually use iMessage...
My whole family are iPhones, but none of us have ever used it as we all much prefer WhatsApp.

I find it a bit over complicated for a messaging app personally. It can kinda do a little bit too much for my tastes, when 95% of the time I want to use a messaging app to send a message...

If you are a big iMessage user though, well I can understand why you'd not want to leave it behind!
[doublepost=1516135949][/doublepost]Oh BTW, I've just changed my wallpaper to be one of the live wallpapers - the one that's applied whne you first turn the phone on. And that's given me the multi-coloured 'G' in the search bar at the bottom?!

The other live wallpapers don't change it from grey, but this one does, strangely?

R8COemf.jpg

Think it should always be coloured, personally.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Oh, one other question. How would you all say the phone is in direct sunlight? Like if I’m at a resort, will I be able to even use this thing?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh, one other question. How would you all say the phone is in direct sunlight? Like if I’m at a resort, will I be able to even use this thing?
That’s the one thing I haven’t tested. It’s been so cold or gotten dark so quick I have only been outside long enough to get the mail or get to and from the car. I can’t really use my phone in winter when walking the dog, either. Back when I had my first Pixel 2 in October and took it outside I don’t recall any problem seeing the display.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Are you switching over back to iPhone are contemplating on going the Pixel route for the fifth time?
I'm done with this generation of Pixels. Hopefully Google steps up their QA as outside of the hardware lottery plaguing the LG units, this phone was close to being perfect for me.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I haven’t noticed any pop ups on my iPhone 8 Plus and I also had the X for a month and didn’t see pop ups. Do you run an ad blocker? I’m running Norton Ad blocker on my iPad mini 4. I forget what’s on my iPhone. It was Crystal before, but I have a new one on. My iPhone is on the charger for the night in the bedroom so I’ll get back to you when I check on it in the morning. I don’t want to wake my husband so I can’t check it now.

When I’m on my Pixel 2 I have an ad blocker for the Samsung Browser and a tracking blocker as well.

I don’t notice any lag on my 8 Plus or my Pixel 2. I can’t say I had any problems with my X, either, beyond difficulty with the display bothering my eyes. And the battery draining very fast.

Apple needs to get better batteries. My Samsung S8+ has a large display and holds a charge much better than my X could. Is it iOS 11 draining the batteries like mad? My poor 7 Plus battery capacity was never the same after iOS 11. My 8 Plus is doing alright.

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I haven’t noticed any pop ups on my iPhone 8 Plus and I also had the X for a month and didn’t see pop ups. Do you run an ad blocker? I’m running Norton Ad blocker on my iPad mini 4. I forget what’s on my iPhone. It was Crystal before, but I have a new one on. My iPhone is on the charger for the night in the bedroom so I’ll get back to you when I check on it in the morning. I don’t want to wake my husband so I can’t check it now.

When I’m on my Pixel 2 I have an ad blocker for the Samsung Browser and a tracking blocker as well.

I don’t notice any lag on my 8 Plus or my Pixel 2. I can’t say I had any problems with my X, either, beyond difficulty with the display bothering my eyes. And the battery draining very fast.

Apple needs to get better batteries. My Samsung S8+ has a large display and holds a charge much better than my X could. Is it iOS 11 draining the batteries like mad? My poor 7 Plus battery capacity was never the same after iOS 11. My 8 Plus is doing alright.

I haven’t run any ad blockers so good call there.

I might try to hold out a bit since I just heard that the S9 might be released less than 2 months from now. It all depends on my job situation too as I use the iPhone X for work but I’m hoping to get a different job ASAP. I really like what Samsung brought to the table last year but I’m not super excited by the leaks we’ve seen so far. The Pixel just sounds like such an amazing experience.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Gona switch back to the iPhone 8 Tonite ,as someone wants to swap his iPhone 8 64gb silver against my pixel 2 64gb white. Very happy as the oled screen on my pixel killing my eyes.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I haven’t run any ad blockers so good call there.

I might try to hold out a bit since I just heard that the S9 might be released less than 2 months from now. It all depends on my job situation too as I use the iPhone X for work but I’m hoping to get a different job ASAP. I really like what Samsung brought to the table last year but I’m not super excited by the leaks we’ve seen so far. The Pixel just sounds like such an amazing experience.
The software is amazing. I’m happy with my Pixel 2 hardware, too. Just be aware there have been a lot of multiple returns per customer on the larger Pixel 2 hardware. It is what it is. Some people have been fed up, some people are okay with it and willing to do RMA returns until they get a “good one.” As long as you’re making an informed decision, you should do alright.

I only use Bluetooth to connect to my headphones and speakers. I am not sure if there are any connectivity issues to automobile systems. That is something some prospective buyers should check out. The first generation Pixels had issues, or so I’ve heard. I’m sorry I can’t tell you about the second gen and cars. I tend to use my iPhone for the car, when I use anything at all. Mainly I rely on my built in music and dash navigation.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Gona switch back to the iPhone 8 Tonite ,as someone wants to swap his iPhone 8 64gb silver against my pixel 2 64gb white. Very happy as the oled screen on my pixel killing my eyes.

Good move long term with regards to selling the device down the road. iPhones probably sell quicker and depreciate slower.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
True. I will use the iPhone 8 until apple releases another LCD based iPhone. I now know,AMOLED isn't for my eyes.
That's too bad. What's the actual issue? (apologies if you've mentioned it already) Is it the same as what others have already said with the Pixel 2 screen or is it non-Pixel 2 exclusive for you ie. all AMOLED screens (Samsung Galaxy too)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.