Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
The contract is up on my moms note 5. I am thinking about getting her set up with a Pixel 2 non xl and maybe ditch AT&T and get her going on fi on a second line either from my sisters account or mine. She is a bit into photography as well. I am sure an unbloated stock device would be a step up from her note 5.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The contract is up on my moms note 5. I am thinking about getting her set up with a Pixel 2 non xl and maybe ditch AT&T and get her going on fi on a second line either from my sisters account or mine. She is a bit into photography as well. I am sure an unbloated stock device would be a step up from her note 5.
Yeah it used to be the iPhones were what we gave to our moms and dads for simplicity’s sake.

Well, I don’t really consider having to hunt through accessibility rather than the display settings in order to turn off auto brightness as something that would make my dad too happy. He’s decent at figuring his way around smartphones and computers. He’s 80, but seems more like late 60’s. But something as illogical as that would throw him a bit. It threw ME.

I can not imagine my dad and in-laws trying to master the X. They count on that home button. Even the kids who have seen my X say they don’t want to give up their home buttons. They’d rather get an onscreen one like on most of the current Android phones.

I liked the gesture based controls, myself. But I think it can be challenging at times to bring up the app switching display.
[doublepost=1515726640][/doublepost]
RMA #4 on the way from Google. Poured myself a nice glass of Blanton's and calling it a night.
What’s your backup phone?

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
GrumpyMom said:
What’s your backup phone?
None, this is another advanced RMA so I will keep using this P2XL until my replacement arrives. My wife told me to cut my loses and move on, so I'll sleep on that and make a decision this weekend.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
[QUOTE="GrumpyMom]What’s your backup phone?
None, this is another advanced RMA so I will keep using this P2XL until my replacement arrives. My wife told me to cut my loses and move on, so I'll sleep on that and make a decision this weekend.
If it’s an advanced RMA, can you still get your money back? Or does she mean to sell the unopened replacement as a means of cutting your losses?

My ultimate backup phone is the HTC 10. That’s because there is not much other purpose for it. Nobody in the family wants it. I don’t want to part with it anyway. It’s among the finest phones I’ve owned, but was worth only $40 in trade back to HTC themselves for an upgrade. They were offering hundreds for Samsung and IPhones but wouldn’t take their own flagship back a year later for even a $100. That’s why I will drool over HTC phones but can’t bring myself to buy another one. Owning the Pixel 2 is the closest I can get to having another good HTC phone but not lose nearly all of its value in a year.

I’m feeling a bit adrift about the future. My iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB cost about $1050 or thereabouts with tax last year. Within a few months it was running noticeably poorly thanks to iOS 11. The battery drained at different disappointing rates on different versions of iOS 11. While it remained an excellent smart phone, it was never again as good as it had been out of the box. Of course performance degrades over time but that was within a month or two and coincided with the release of an iOS that the processor should be able to handle with ease. And I can’t overlook the fact it was a terrible phone for actually talking on. So was my husband’s. That is a disgrace especially at $1000.

And I can’t go riding off into the sunset with Samsung, because my S8+ and my husband’s have both slowed down noticeably. His has many apps and was used heavily. Mine has very few added apps and is used very moderately. I don’t want to play into the “Lagdroid” stereotype about Samsung phones because most people don’t have any complaints. And my S7 didn’t lag. But I can only go by my own experience and based on that I’ll hang back and see if there’s a good word on the next iteration of Touchwiz/Samsung Experience.

My hopes for the future largely are on the Pixel. But it’s got a rather rough present.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
If it’s an advanced RMA, can you still get your money back? Or does she mean to sell the unopened replacement as a means of cutting your losses?

My ultimate backup phone is the HTC 10. That’s because there is not much other purpose for it. Nobody in the family wants it. I don’t want to part with it anyway. It’s among the finest phones I’ve owned, but was worth only $40 in trade back to HTC themselves for an upgrade. They were offering hundreds for Samsung and IPhones but wouldn’t take their own flagship back a year later for even a $100. That’s why I will drool over HTC phones but can’t bring myself to buy another one. Owning the Pixel 2 is the closest I can get to having another good HTC phone but not lose nearly all of its value in a year.

I’m feeling a bit adrift about the future. My iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB cost about $1050 or thereabouts with tax last year. Within a few months it was running noticeably poorly thanks to iOS 11. The battery drained at different disappointing rates on different versions of iOS 11. While it remained an excellent smart phone, it was never again as good as it had been out of the box. Of course performance degrades over time but that was within a month or two and coincided with the release of an iOS that the processor should be able to handle with ease. And I can’t overlook the fact it was a terrible phone for actually talking on. So was my husband’s. That is a disgrace especially at $1000.

And I can’t go riding off into the sunset with Samsung, because my S8+ and my husband’s have both slowed down noticeably. His has many apps and was used heavily. Mine has very few added apps and is used very moderately. I don’t want to play into the “Lagdroid” stereotype about Samsung phones because most people don’t have any complaints. And my S7 didn’t lag. But I can only go by my own experience and based on that I’ll hang back and see if there’s a good word on the next iteration of Touchwiz/Samsung Experience.

My hopes for the future largely are on the Pixel. But it’s got a rather rough present.
Appreciate your insight into the many devices you've used. Sorry you've had little luck in finding 'the one', but hoping the Pixel stands up for you.

Also, you're not grumpy at all.:D

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
Pixel family,

I'm at a loss for words at this point. The replacement P2XL is now randomly starting to do this. Nearly blinded me earlier on the drive home when I went to unlock my phone.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pgB2q6tZZSct9Kcj2

That's... very dramatic. Sorry, I do know it's a legitimate issue that has been brought up by others in the past but this is the first time I've seen someone explain it in this fashion. Try an RMA.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Oh before I forget, a bit of warning for those of us with the light colored finishes especially, but this happens to dark phones as well: watch out for chemical staining from silicone and rubber cases. There’s something in them that causes etching into anodized and painted finishes. Perhaps glass, too, though I have yet to see it. I’ve got a bit of a honeycomb pattern from my case on Snowball now.

The same thing happened to my wife's silver iPhone 5 from a Speck Candyshell grip case.

When possible, I try to put a Bodyguardz protective film on the phone to protect from it.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Appreciate your insight into the many devices you've used. Sorry you've had little luck in finding 'the one', but hoping the Pixel stands up for you.

Also, you're not grumpy at all.:D
Lol, thanks. Yeah usually I’m pretty laid back. I’ll get grumpy or squirrelly sometimes, though, because...poop happens. But generally, I’m a pretty happy person otherwise, very blessed and grateful for everything.

I feel so very fortunate and floating on clouds, actually, to have such a good team with my IPhone 8 Plus, Pixel 2 and S8+. No one by itself is my ultimate, but I pick up whichever one is the best for a given task. The S8+ is a great entertainment device. I love VR though I haven’t had a chance to use it for that in a while. I am trying to get my home office finished, which is slow going.

Lol, trust me, I haven’t always been able to own so many expensive phones at once. It started in 2016 when I had a 6s Plus and got an SE for pocketabilty. That’s probably the first time I could afford to do that. My husband made a few good jumps in his career in very recent years and works for a new company with better benefits and compensation, so we can finally breathe a bit better. I’m still very frugal in most other areas of my life, so here I am with “the team.”

Anyway, I’ve always only had one iPhone at a time and traded the old one on AT&T Next a lot of the times before. Though sometimes I passed an older phone on to family.

It’s pretty awesome to be able to test these phones out. Unfortunately the gravy train isn’t going to run indefinitely. When the college tuitions hit and we are living on the retirement income rather than the current paychecks, my phone hobby will have to come to an end. I’ll have to pick a platform, pick a manufacturer, pick a phone and hold onto it more than a year.

As an iPhone user of many years and an “ecosystem” dweller of theirs, I had been rooting for Apple. However, “they’re emphasizing things that may not match well with my needs going forward” is probably the fairest way of putting it.

And it’s a gray January day and I’m a bit worn out from being sick for weeks so I was feeling a bit sad that I don’t feel the same way about Apple as I have for so many happy years when choosing them was a no-brainer.
[doublepost=1515773231][/doublepost]
That's... very dramatic. Sorry, I do know it's a legitimate issue that has been brought up by others in the past but this is the first time I've seen someone explain it in this fashion. Try an RMA.
Yeah but that’s like the replacement of the replacement of the replacement he’s talking about. So, not dramatic at all. Many folks on this thread and others are on their third or fourth replacements. There’s a bit of a QC problem for the Pixel 2 XL...is the understatement of the week. :p

Reactions: Ralfi and jamezr

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel

My issue is a bit tricky in that I bought this via private party. So my only choices are to RMA for issues, or sell it myself on the marketplace.

comper said:

I unlocked my phone in the dark, at night, sitting in my car. Have you had the flash go off in your face, in the dark, when you didn't expect it? I don't know how my description could be dramatic. And also this is my 4th RMA, so I apologize if I sound like I'm complaining too much to you...

h3r0matXL2

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
Georgia
Ok, what's a RMA? and can someone explain/discuss/update me on the"flashing problem". I just got my Pixel 2XL replacement today (my fault, but Verizon will never know *evil laugh*) and last night, I was making sure all my stuff was backed up in a cloud and my phone did something weird. I didn't really know what happened, so I tried to reproduce whatever happened. I successfully did so. If I held my pixel2xl a certain way, pressed the button on the side to make it go to sleep a certain way, the screen would flash as the phone went to sleep. I was able to reproduce the results numerous times, even in safe mode, and I have no idea what or why this is happening. [btw this pixel2xl is the smoothest, basically THE best phone I've ever had and I highly recommend it] 1 more + Google support is very fast and very friendly, and very helpful for the most part (if you can understand the csr that answers )

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, what's a RMA? and can someone explain/discuss/update me on the"flashing problem". I just got my Pixel 2XL replacement today (my fault, but Verizon will never know *evil laugh*) and last night, I was making sure all my stuff was backed up in a cloud and my phone did something weird. I didn't really know what happened, so I tried to reproduce whatever happened. I successfully did so. If I held my pixel2xl a certain way, pressed the button on the side to make it go to sleep a certain way, the screen would flash as the phone went to sleep. I was able to reproduce the results numerous times, even in safe mode, and I have no idea what or why this is happening. [btw this pixel2xl is the smoothest, basically THE best phone I've ever had and I highly recommend it] 1 more + Google support is very fast and very friendly, and very helpful for the most part (if you can understand the csr that answers )

Return Merchandise Authorization. It's when you want to return something and Google says "Ok, go ahead and return and we will replace it."

Last edited:

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
h3r0,

The issue you're experiencing is the same as me. People are saying its due to the 8.1 update, an rogue app, or faulty hardware. No one knows at this point as I'm reading the LG V30 has this issue as well (most closely related to the P2XL). I just know that my previous replacements did not have this issue, so for me personally I'm leaning more towards an hardware issue.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Sitting at 34% right now since last full charge 2 days and 11+ hours ago. Have about 8 more hours before I'm off and can charge. Phone estimates about 10 hours left... Cutting it a bit close :eek:o_O

Let's see if I can make it the rest of the work day

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Does anyone else who uses Facebook on their Pixels get notifications?
I'm getting nothing and have never got them on any of the Pixels I have owned so far.

I can click onto the Facebook app and will have notifications of likes or comments or being tagged in a photo, but I never get a notification about any of it.
Notifications are turned on, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app but no joy.
Don't understand it. Ever other app gives me the little dot but I've never had it for Facebook which is pretty annoying.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm getting nothing and have never got them on any of the Pixels I have owned so far.

I can click onto the Facebook app and will have notifications of likes or comments or being tagged in a photo, but I never get a notification about any of it.
Notifications are turned on, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app but no joy.
Don't understand it. Ever other app gives me the little dot but I've never had it for Facebook which is pretty annoying.
I get FB notifications on mine...

Reactions: Aneres11

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois

This is going to sound strange, but do you get Facebook notifications through chrome on your Chromebook or computer? If you do, you need to turn those off. They can override it.

I had this issue on my iPhone and it took me months to figure it out. Once I deleted that in Chrome all has been good.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
This is going to sound strange, but do you get Facebook notifications through chrome on your Chromebook or computer? If you do, you need to turn those off. They can override it.

I had this issue on my iPhone and it took me months to figure it out. Once I deleted that in Chrome all has been good.

Interesting. Thanks.
I do have the Facebook app for my Pixelbook but I had to check as I’ve never used it and i have never got notifications on that either...

I still have my X in use and that gets them and always have, but any google device doesn’t work. Although the LG V30 I had recently did show my Facebook notifications. Hmm.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013

My wife has Facebook and has no issues that I know of.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Sitting at 34% right now since last full charge 2 days and 11+ hours ago. Have about 8 more hours before I'm off and can charge. Phone estimates about 10 hours left... Cutting it a bit close :eek:o_O

Let's see if I can make it the rest of the work day

Made it the work day with 9% left. Not too shabby, mostly did Hangouts and texting with a bit of browsing here on MR while on break.

---
Debating on installing Xposed but it'll break safety net and make updating even more of a challenge o_O:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.