Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Got back on Sunday from the East coast and taking some pictures with my Pixel 2. The Oculus, 9/11 Memorial, and picture of NY skyline are with a Moment Wide lens.
97b769eab257920fd6fba20e0b5fa909.jpg
bb1ebfa6527d6f3e4cc96763cbeff277.jpg
3e0fb254ceeb2475b93478ccc1382df8.jpg
94148909c159da46e022f3956eac4ed1.jpg
a5213f2bee59efeae3f4a6feb2b5cf18.jpg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well first question should be do you prefer ios or android

I don’t really have much of a preference. iOS is more of a consistent experience for me, but Android feels faster because I disable animations on any Android Phone.

steelcityguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Florida East Coast
Had the Note 8, sold it. Didn't do anything for me.i now have a LG v30. Nice, but I wish gotten the Pixal 2x. If I sell my LG, I will buy 2x. I have owned many IPhones, just not thrilled with the latest iPhone. The Pixel is a great phone.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
That's too bad. What's the actual issue? (apologies if you've mentioned it already) Is it the same as what others have already said with the Pixel 2 screen or is it non-Pixel 2 exclusive for you ie. all AMOLED screens (Samsung Galaxy too)?

Eye fatigue and pain behind the eyes. It happened with the Samsung aswell. The LCD of the iPhones is easier to look at.

The deal didn't go through tho,the guy didn't let me know anything. Quiet upset about it,as I was really looking forward to the LCD with true tone on ,

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Eye fatigue and pain behind the eyes. It happened with the Samsung aswell. The LCD of the iPhones is easier to look at.

The deal didn't go through tho,the guy didn't let me know anything. Quiet upset about it,as I was really looking forward to the LCD with true tone on ,
I don’t know what folks like you and I are going to do. Everyone is declaring LCD dead. But OLED hurts some of us. I don’t have it as bad with my S8+ but nothing is as comfortable as my LCD on my 8 Plus. And Apple is rumored to be killing it to go with a cheaper TFT LCD for their next phone that has LCD.

I wonder if there is such a thing as an OLED display that will not bother our eyes. I may eventually have to go back to reading ebooks on actual Kindle e-ink devices, which I find kind of clunky compared to reading on my phone. Well I’ll just have to hope my 8 Plus lasts me a good few years. Depending on the rumors I may end up buying a spare 8 Plus at the end of the year just in case. Lol...I know I’m getting a bit paranoid and bonkers. :p
[doublepost=1516284577][/doublepost]
Got back on Sunday from the East coast and taking some pictures with my Pixel 2. The Oculus, 9/11 Memorial, and picture of NY skyline are with a Moment Wide lens.
Those are amazing photos. I was so very close to pulling the trigger on a Moment Wide case and lens combo because of a recent discount I saw on them. But we are still paying off the holiday bills so I am being restrained in my spending. And I did wonder how well they actually worked. Wow. They work well. I’ll definitely be picking up a wide lens in time for summer vacation. Thank you for sharing these photos.

Reactions: ultravegeta1981

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
I don’t know what folks like you and I are going to do. Everyone is declaring LCD dead. But OLED hurts some of us. I don’t have it as bad with my S8+ but nothing is as comfortable as my LCD on my 8 Plus. And Apple is rumored to be killing it to go with a cheaper TFT LCD for their next phone that has LCD.

I wonder if there is such a thing as an OLED display that will not bother our eyes. I may eventually have to go back to reading ebooks on actual Kindle e-ink devices, which I find kind of clunky compared to reading on my phone. Well I’ll just have to hope my 8 Plus lasts me a good few years. Depending on the rumors I may end up buying a spare 8 Plus at the end of the year just in case. Lol...I know I’m getting a bit paranoid and bonkers. :p
[doublepost=1516284577][/doublepost]
Those are amazing photos. I was so very close to pulling the trigger on a Moment Wide case and lens combo because of a recent discount I saw on them. But we are still paying off the holiday bills so I am being restrained in my spending. And I did wonder how well they actually worked. Wow. They work well. I’ll definitely be picking up a wide lens in time for summer vacation. Thank you for sharing these photos.

Yes,if I could afford it I would have bought 2 iPhone 8s. One for use and the other for spare. I don't think apple is stupid enough to go to full oled,or they would and solve this pwm issue.

Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Guys, guys, I need help. I can’t choose between the X, the Pixel 2XL, or the Note8. :(
I would really love all 3

iPhone is what I will always have as my daily driver so cost wise I couldn’t justify 2 never mind 3. I always get tempted but have resisted somehow.

In the end ecosystem wins for me

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Man. I wish the regular pixel 2 didn’t have those horrible bezels. That’s my preferred phone size.

Plus, I could pick one up for under $600 on swappa.

Reactions: Ralfi

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
for those Pixelbook owners, a free pen loop (I think only for USA customers? not sure though)

https://madeby.google.com/pen-loop-for-pixelbook-promotion/

Sweet thanks!

I think UK'ers can get it too as it asks for your country and UK is on the list! :D.

I will fill this out, not that I have a Pixel Pen... yet. But I do want one although I'm struggling to justify the cost when I don't think I will get serious use out of it.

Cheers for this info though! :)

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I just bought a Blue Pixel 2 thanks to your post. You're a bad influence! :)

Haha amazing!!
Who knew what power I held! :D

What are you using at the moment? And what's made you decide to go for one in blue?! It is a really great look on the Pixel 2 and that green button is the little pop it needs to stand out nicely. :)

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Haha amazing!!
Who knew what power I held! :D

What are you using at the moment? And what's made you decide to go for one in blue?! It is a really great look on the Pixel 2 and that green button is the little pop it needs to stand out nicely. :)

Returned my X a week ago and am now using an 8 Plus (bought in mint for nearly half price of my X). I have a Nexus 5x in the blue color and really like it. This color reminds me of it and even better. Love the pop of the button. I gave up on the 2 XL after 3 tries. Hoping my Pixel 2 experience goes better than the 2 XL!

Do the glass screen protectors work well on the Pixel 2 (unlike the Pixel 2 XL)?

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Returned my X a week ago and am now using an 8 Plus (bought in mint for nearly half price of my X). I have a Nexus 5x in the blue color and really like it. This color reminds me of it and even better. Love the pop of the button. I gave up on the 2 XL after 3 tries. Hoping my Pixel 2 experience goes better than the 2 XL!

Do the glass screen protectors work well on the Pixel 2 (unlike the Pixel 2 XL)?

Ahh that's right, I remember reading this.

Not missing the X then?
Yeah the reg 2 is such a nicer phone to hold (IMO) and it's funny how much you get used to a pocket / hand friendly phone.
I used a 7 Plus for a while and always said I wouldn't go back to a smaller phone yet here we are. Today I was updating my mum's 7 for her and I loved the feel in hand. So much nicer to not have to use 2 hands.

I have had 2 Pixel 2's now and both of them have been pretty perfect. No screen issues, no burn in, not much in the way of blue shift - really nice.
I personally found the screen on the 2 to be much better than the XL I had, but I know the XL is a bit of a lottery.

When I had my XL, I had to change the colour to 'saturated' to make it look half decent. Saturated on the normal 2 does too much, whereas 'boosted' just sets it right.

Hope you really like it. When will it be here? Do post some thoughts / pics when you get it! :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Not missing the X then?
Yeah the reg 2 is such a nicer phone to hold (IMO) and it's funny how much you get used to a pocket / hand friendly phone.
I used a 7 Plus for a while and always said I wouldn't go back to a smaller phone yet here we are. Today I was updating my mum's 7 for her and I loved the feel in hand. So much nicer to not have to use 2 hands.

I have had 2 Pixel 2's now and both of them have been pretty perfect. No screen issues, no burn in, not much in the way of blue shift - really nice.
I personally found the screen on the 2 to be much better than the XL I had, but I know the XL is a bit of a lottery.

When I had my XL, I had to change the colour to 'saturated' to make it look half decent. Saturated on the normal 2 does too much, whereas 'boosted' just sets it right.

Hope you really like it. When will it be here? Do post some thoughts / pics when you get it! :)
The display on my Pixel 2 is pinkish on the right hand side. That’s the curse of Samsung on me. All of my phones from 2017 on with displays made by Samsung have the Pink Curse on them. But I don’t mind this iteration of it because it’s not a picture frame around the display the way the pink is on my S8+ and my ex-IPhone X.

Somewhere along the line I must have offended the great goddess Hello Kitty and she has put this curse on me. I think it’s because when my my daughter outgrew Hello Kitty I put all of the plushies in a plastic bag and sent them to the basement storage room.

88FF72AE-7DDC-40FC-94B0-3A2C01EF927B.jpeg

Reactions: Aneres11

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Not missing the X then?

I bought it locally from a friend so I should have it tomorrow.

I've had my 8 Plus for a week now and I don't miss the X at all really. To get the same speed for half the price was a no-brainer for me. The battery life on this 8 Plus is much better than I had on my X. I got through a day with my X but this is just much better. With my X I'd be at 30-40% when I got home from work. Yesterday I was at 65% when I got home with my 8 Plus. The wider screen is also nice as I feel it's easier to read and type on the 8 Plus. Really the only thing I miss about my X was just how cool it looks. Yes, my 8 Plus is huge and heavy but I used Plus models for years and this one just works great.

Now I'll have the much smaller Pixel to to complement my 8 Plus for those days that I wear my skinny jeans (j/k sorta).

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
One thing that’s made it a bit more enticing to move away from the iOS ecosystem is that all the movies and tv series that I’ve purchased through iTunes can now be accessed on the Movies Anywhere app. Previously I hadn’t found a way to get them on a non iOS device. That’s pretty huge.

Reactions: 5105973 and Cryates

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
One thing that’s made it a bit more enticing to move away from the iOS ecosystem is that all the movies and tv series that I’ve purchased through iTunes can now be accessed on the Movies Anywhere app. Previously I hadn’t found a way to get them on a non iOS device. That’s pretty huge.

Just movies, not TV series. And it's not universal since not all studios joined on; for example, my movies anywhere account has ~150 movies but I own > 300 in iTunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.