Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Just got my Blue Pixel 2 less than 24 hours after convincing myself I need one. Love it so far! It feels (and looks?) so tiny in my hand. Guess I just got used to my 8 Plus.

p2.jpg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Right, but I think Google really has to go all in on everything for it to make sense for a lot of people. I prefer Google over Apple, but having to buy a watch from Fossil, a phone from Google, a Chromebook from Samsung, and Android TV from Nvidia is kind of a pain in the butt.

We need Google to make a wearable chip. Then a Pixel Watch. And a new Pixel TV box with the Snapdragon 845. Also, Pixel book.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just got my Blue Pixel 2 less than 24 hours after convincing myself I need one. Love it so far! It feels (and looks?) so tiny in my hand. Guess I just got used to my 8 Plus.

View attachment 747700

Congrats dude. Nice to see you have it so soon!!
It will definitely feel tiny compared to an 8 Plus no question. How do you find typing and generally navigating the phone? One handed use is pretty sweet, right? :)

I've got the typing down on my Pixel 2 now. I have the Gboard height set to tall and have removed the numbers from the letter view along with the voice input button and emoji button.
It isn't ideal, but it allows me to actually type now and not make mistakes as often as I was when the keyboard was more cramped.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Been offered a Pixel 2 XL at an amazing price...

Trying to decide between keeping my S8 or going for an 2 XL...

Wow, the price of the S8 has dropped massively to sell it on eBay.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I use Airpods with Android devices all the time.
AirPods actually work great with my Pixel and Pixelbook. A little bit of functionality is lost, but that's to be expected. As for true wireless earbuds, AirPods might the best option on the market right now for android devices.

I think it's great everyone gets to use them (not exclusive to IOS). I'm sure future pixel buds will match their functionality. When they do, together with Google Assistant, they may surpass the Airpods.

As for now, I use that extra functionality as it completes their acclaimed all-round package that merges mobile device, completely wireless ear buds & all audio sources.

The future of Bluetooth ear buds is one of the more exciting tech areas I like to keep my eyes on.
[doublepost=1516411766][/doublepost]
Has anyone here tried the Pixel Buds?
I don't think they've been out for very long, so your best bet would be YouTube reviews.

One thing I don't like is the cord makes it a task to store them in their case. Compared to the Airpods which snap in via magnets, I'd be annoyed every time I needed to put the Google Buds in the case.

The sound is meant to be slightly better than the Airpods though.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
The future of Bluetooth ear buds is one of the more exciting tech areas I like to keep my eyes on.
Agreed. AirPods are the single best all-around option right now in the category, but I still have plenty of issue with them. I'm waiting on someone to create that one perfect set for me. I've actually tried a lot of different rue wireless earbuds over the last year, and a surprising pair for me was Skybuds. They fit excellently, looked good in-ear, sounded good, but the battery was doing weird things. That was such a bummer.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Congrats dude. Nice to see you have it so soon!!
It will definitely feel tiny compared to an 8 Plus no question. How do you find typing and generally navigating the phone? One handed use is pretty sweet, right? :)

I've got the typing down on my Pixel 2 now. I have the Gboard height set to tall and have removed the numbers from the letter view along with the voice input button and emoji button.
It isn't ideal, but it allows me to actually type now and not make mistakes as often as I was when the keyboard was more cramped.

Typing and one handed use in general on this thing is great. It feels so nice in the hand compared to my 8 plus brick. No issues whatsoever compared to all the issues I had on the 2 xl. And the blue color is really nice. I am going to use the phone as my daily for the next few days so I’ll report back after some extended use.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Not sure if it's Hangouts being weird, my device or the network but I'm not getting notifications today. My s7e is. Normally I get them. Not sure what's up. I'll need to reboot probably anyway.

I do get the messages just no notification for them on the device.

Rebooted and of course there is an update for Hangouts. Will be a while before I can update since I'm at work.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Finally hit the limit warning this morning with 1 day left. Have a little over 100mb left out of my 1gb plan.

It was manageable but really was cramped and could not upload much of anything so I think I will bump it to 2gb.

Still not sure what is going on with Hangouts and my notifications, I checked settings and it's set to notify. Will update the app later when I get the chance, may just be a bug.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Typing and one handed use in general on this thing is great. It feels so nice in the hand compared to my 8 plus brick. No issues whatsoever compared to all the issues I had on the 2 xl. And the blue color is really nice. I am going to use the phone as my daily for the next few days so I’ll report back after some extended use.

Yeah I’m really curious to know how you like it. The bezels bug me but with all the qc issues with the XL the regular 2 seems like a safer bet.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah I’m really curious to know how you like it. The bezels bug me but with all the qc issues with the XL the regular 2 seems like a safer bet.
Frankly I prefer them, without edges on my Samsung I was always doing something by accident just holding it. Pixel 2 is fine.

Indoobidubly

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2013
Quick question from someone looking to go from iOS to Android:
On Android, is it possible to play youtube in the background or with the screen off? I can do this easily with my iPhone, but since Google owns Youtube and Android they've been stopping apps from doing this. Apparently OGYoutube stopped development.

If there's an easy way to do this (without buying a Youtube Red account) I will switch.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
On Android, is it possible to play youtube in the background or with the screen off? I can do this easily with my iPhone, but since Google owns Youtube and Android they've been stopping apps from doing this. Apparently OGYoutube stopped development.

If there's an easy way to do this (without buying a Youtube Red account) I will switch.

Only with YouTube red. Or split screen apps as far as I know. iPad style.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia

The only way I knew how to do this on IOS was by using YouTube within a browser. But that functionality ended a while ago.

Maybe those on Android can use this method as a workaround?

Reactions: jamezr

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So I got a Pixel 2 XL yesterday...

It was such a good deal, couldn't pass it up (£250 off RRP) and the seller was great.

Got a Panda. I absolutely love it. So tempted to go caseless but have picked up a clear case. It's all set up but I'll wait till the screen protector and case arrive because I'm a paranoid android.

First impressions are fantastic thus far.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
The only way I knew how to do this on IOS was by using YouTube within a browser. But that functionality ended a while ago.

Maybe those on Android can use this method as a workaround?

I tried that last night and the sound cuts straight away. When I used to do it on the iPhone, you could pull down the music player to start playing it again but no such option on Android.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Absolutely you can do this on Android, that's the beauty of rooting, but even this YouTube background playback can be done on stock non rooted phones for free. I use it on all 3 different Abdroud phones right now, it works perfectly on my Pixel 2 XL.

I run something called YouTube OG with MicroG+. It has zeo commercials zero ads. Allows background play even with the screen off, or background play while your in a different app. Allows downloading of videos.

Look up YouTube OG. It's two files to download and install. And you do not need to be rooted to use it or install it.

There's an even better one for rooted phones, called like iYTBP look it up on XDA.

Have fun :)

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Absolutely you can do this on Android, that's the beauty of rooting, but even this YouTube background playback can be done on stock non rooted phones for free. I use it on all 3 different Abdroud phones right now, it works perfectly on my Pixel 2 XL.

I run something called YouTube OG with MicroG+. It has zeo commercials zero ads. Allows background play even with the screen off, or background play while your in a different app. Allows downloading of videos.

Look up YouTube OG. It's two files to download and install. And you do not need to be rooted to use it or install it.

There's an even better one for rooted phones, called like iYTBP look it up on XDA.

Have fun :)

You think someone moving from iOS is going to root a phone now?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I have Red and have never been able to get this to work on iOS or Android. I have turned it on and never does it.

I have red and it plays in the background on my pixel. in fact, when I hit the home button while in youtube, it does picture in picture with the YT video on my home screen. even if I close that window, the video controls show up in my notification bar and I can control play/pause there. But maybe that's a pixel exclusive feature? I doubt it.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6308116?hl=en

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
You think someone moving from iOS is going to root a phone now?

Why not ? It's easy.

Anyways, that YouTube OG is free and no root required. I have it on my wife's LG G6 too, and that's totally stock not rooted.
[doublepost=1516635800][/doublepost]XDA: iYTBP - Modded YouTube app, featuring background play. No root required.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/797eun/xda_iytbp_modded_youtube_app_featuring_background/

YouTube OG;

https://www.official-plus.com/ogyoutube

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.