Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I've startrd my smartphone use with Android. The Nexus-One being my first. Out of 20+ smartphones I think I've only had 3 iPhone's, just could never get comfortable with iOS always seemed frustrating to use and so locked down, it always upset me.

Stock Android to me is hands down the best smartphone OS currently, in my opinion. iOS just not my cup of tea, even though I try it out every couple years, I never like it, it feels so outdated and poor design.

Reactions: slitherjef

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
This might be the wrong place to post this, and I think the HomePod can be a good product, but I'm rolling my eyes at Apple releasing a half-baked product. One that was already delayed! Seems to be becoming the norm for them, and it's what has driven me away from their products. Meanwhile I love my Google Home (which was free w/promotion and already $220 cheaper)

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Started with the iphone 4. Then the 4s and 5. Then the htc one m7- samsung s4-htc one m8- iphone 6-iphone 6s-samsung s6-samsung s7-samsung s8-iphone 8-pixel 2 and now the iphone 8 haha. No preference but do like to use the iphone more.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I’ve probably used iPhones more in the last 7 or 8 years than I have Android. It’s only the last two or three years that I have started using Android more and haven’t used iOS for a long period since the X.

For me, I like where Android is right now. And I could happily be given an Android device and use it without issues. But because the OS’s are so close together now in terms of what they can do, it generally ends up coming down to hardware for me.

Android hardware isn’t quite there yet. It is in some devices, like the V30, even the Galaxy phones, but they don’t come with that same software experience of something like a Pixel.
The iPhone X is the first device I’ve used that has the perfect blend of both. Size, design, screen, software. It’s all there. Of course, it’s just my opinion as I know lots find the X too small, or don’t like the notch, but it’s just right for me.

I think if the Pixel 2 was designed a bit better, I wouldn’t look at the iphone, but because I had the X first, it’s now really difficult to have to switch to something else. Also, I have made zero tweaks to my iPhone X since I got it. As in, everything just works.

With the Pixel I’ve had to change all sorts to get it where I want it to be. That’s not necessarily a negative, and I love that you can do that with Android more freely, but having used Android for a while now it’s nice to have the simplicity of iOS along with the great hardware.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I’ve probably used iPhones more in the last 7 or 8 years than I have Android. It’s only the last two or three years that I have started using Android more and haven’t used iOS for a long period since the X.

For me, I like where Android is right now. And I could happily be given an Android device and use it without issues. But because the OS’s are so close together now in terms of what they can do, it generally ends up coming down to hardware for me.

Android hardware isn’t quite there yet. It is in some devices, like the V30, even the Galaxy phones, but they don’t come with that same software experience of something like a Pixel.
The iPhone X is the first device I’ve used that has the perfect blend of both. Size, design, screen, software. It’s all there. Of course, it’s just my opinion as I know lots find the X too small, or don’t like the notch, but it’s just right for me.

I think if the Pixel 2 was designed a bit better, I wouldn’t look at the iphone, but because I had the X first, it’s now really difficult to have to switch to something else. Also, I have made zero tweaks to my iPhone X since I got it. As in, everything just works.

With the Pixel I’ve had to change all sorts to get it where I want it to be. That’s not necessarily a negative, and I love that you can do that with Android more freely, but having used Android for a while now it’s nice to have the simplicity of iOS along with the great hardware.

100% agreed. Throw in the ecosystem and it’s just so tough to go away from the iPhone X, though I have been tempted to go back to the Note 8 because I’m switching carriers.

Reactions: Aneres11

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
This might be the wrong place to post this, and I think the HomePod can be a good product, but I'm rolling my eyes at Apple releasing a half-baked product. One that was already delayed! Seems to be becoming the norm for them, and it's what has driven me away from their products. Meanwhile I love my Google Home (which was free w/promotion and already $220 cheaper)

The fact that HomePod only works with Apple Music is insane.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
The fact that HomePod only works with Apple Music is insane.
Totally. I mean it does three things, right? Siri, Apple Music and HomeKit? So a $350 half-working product with only three very basic features. I'm sure the sound quality as a speaker is very impressive, but this is a very confusing product to me, and it might be the most locked down product Apple has functionality wise.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Totally. I mean it does three things, right? Siri, Apple Music and HomeKit? So a $350 half-working product with only three very basic features. I'm sure the sound quality as a speaker is very impressive, but this is a very confusing product to me, and it might be the most locked down product Apple has functionality wise.

Some day it will do AirPlay stuff too.

Reactions: Cryates

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Apple "innovation" at work :rolleyes:

Is it me or does apple appear to have a massive product line that is for the most part utterly redundant? Almost as if they painted themselves in to a corner? Nevermind the fact things are severely limited in functionality at times?

Apple really needs to get their act together and focus. Things are all over the place, it's almost confusing to use their products or even pick one o_O

Sorry veering off tangent again :confused:

Now back to my potentially defective xl 2 and weird windows 10 issues... o_O

--

Took about 2 hours and change to get my pixel charged this morning. I used it a couple quick times while it was charging. This seems to be about the normal charge rate for me. It almost slows down once it gets to 90ish %

Reactions: 5105973

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Ngl after me saying I was gonna miss out on the Pixel 2/2XL due to QC issues, I’m still really tempted to get one... I must resist, but this thread, Google’s advertising of it, and the still discounted price at Carphone Warehouse isn’t helping! :D

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So Pixel users. What wallpaper are you guys rocking on your devices?

As much as I love my Kinda Blue 2, I do feel a little bit limited with what wallpaper I can use as if I go too colourful it jarrs between the screen and the colourful back ha.

I've stuck to the pre-set one that is set when you first boot the phone up, as I love the multicoloured G in the search bar.
I've tried loads of different wallpapers but nothing else seems to look as good.

What about you lot?!

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth

As much as I love my Kinda Blue 2, I do feel a little bit limited with what wallpaper I can use as if I go too colourful it jarrs between the screen and the colourful back ha.

I've stuck to the pre-set one that is set when you first boot the phone up, as I love the multicoloured G in the search bar.
I've tried loads of different wallpapers but nothing else seems to look as good.

What about you lot?!

I was using Galaxy pack a live wall paper I got from the play store. Just using the default one for right now until I get my replacement sat back up

Reactions: Aneres11

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

What about you lot?!

I don't make sure my wallpaper meshes with the back, because it's the back after all. I have landscapes set to refresh daily. Mixes it up everyday without me having to think about it. I think you can have any of the categories in the wallpaper selection screen refresh daily.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I don't make sure my wallpaper meshes with the back, because it's the back after all. I have landscapes set to refresh daily. Mixes it up everyday without me having to think about it. I think you can have any of the categories in the wallpaper selection screen refresh daily.

Probably me and my OCD wanting it to match haha.
The landscape ones are the nicest selection on there I think. And they do look really good on screen.

I guess it's different for the XL users too as you can definitely fit more apps on screen without compromising the background image too much. :)

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
So, I needed to upgrade my headphones and I got the Bose QC35 with Google Assistant built in and oh my god.

Sorry to bog down this thread with a non-Pixel device, but I'm sooooo impressed with GA in pretty much every facet I've used it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So, I needed to upgrade my headphones and I got the Bose QC35 with Google Assistant built in and oh my god.

Sorry to bog down this thread with a non-Pixel device, but I'm sooooo impressed with GA in pretty much every facet I've used it.
We surrender a LOT of data, and I mean a lot, to Google, so that Assistant damn well better be as good as it is. I sometimes get queasy knowing how much data I surrender and that is even with me locking it down and doing without some features. However, they do let you see what they collect. Pretty much all of it, and you can also delete it. It’s just a pain to keep cleaning out your data trail.

It’s mostly the location tracking that creeps me out, yet I am a stay at home mom who literally stays at home most of the time, not giving Google much to track anyway. I live on leftovers for lunch, do my own hair and nails, go clothes shopping only every 2-3 years, and window shopping for fun a handful of times a year, if that. My volunteer routine is centered around school, which is already part of my carpool commute. I walk a lot and kayak, but out in the country where there are no merchants’ tracking beacons. Whoa...I just realized why I can afford all these phones. :eek: I pretty much don’t exist! :p

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I've been using the Pixel buds for a few days. Sound is really good. They fit in my ears fine. The case is janky as hell, especially compared to Airpods. Although reviewers insisting it's "confusing" to place them in the case correctly are morons. It's easy. Unfortunately, where they also come up short compared to Airpods is there is the tiniest, but noticeable, delay in audio when watching any kind of video. However, I LOVE the way the touch controls work with the right earpiece. Again, reviewers were complaining that it's too easy to set off a command but I don't know what they're doing. It's not hard to NOT touch your right earpiece unless you intend to.

Reactions: slitherjef

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I've been using the Pixel buds for a few days. Sound is really good. They fit in my ears fine. The case is janky as hell, especially compared to Airpods. Although reviewers insisting it's "confusing" to place them in the case correctly are morons. It's easy. Unfortunately, where they also come up short compared to Airpods is there is the tiniest, but noticeable, delay in audio when watching any kind of video. However, I LOVE the way the touch controls work with the right earpiece. Again, reviewers were complaining that it's too easy to set off a command but I don't know what they're doing. It's not hard to NOT touch your right earpiece unless you intend to.
Also possible there have been software updates since the initial reviews. The initial reviews are what kept me away from them. Well that, and unfortunately, the wire.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Also possible there have been software updates since the initial reviews. The initial reviews are what kept me away from them. Well that, and unfortunately, the wire.

I don't think they're worth the current price tag. A friend ordered a Pixel and offered if I wanted the half-off deal on the buds, I said hell yes. I don't understand the point of the wire if they're supposed to compete with the Airpods but in any event at $80 I think they're a pretty good product.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Just for kicks, I fired up my OG Pixel XL and installed the Camera NX app on it from apk-mirror. This is the port of the Pixel 2 camera app with portrait mode and AR stickers. I was curious how it would do on the OG Pixel XL running 8.1 Oreo.

Well, to my surprise it runs just like it does no the Pixel 2 itself! Portrait mode works fantastically on both the rear camera AND the selfie camera! And AR stickers work perfectly too. I may just stick with my Pixel XL considering the problems I’ve had with the 2XL. The first gen still runs like a champ and now that I’ve got the newer camera features I feel like I’ve got the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I don't think they're worth the current price tag. A friend ordered a Pixel and offered if I wanted the half-off deal on the buds, I said hell yes. I don't understand the point of the wire if they're supposed to compete with the Airpods but in any event at $80 I think they're a pretty good product.
That definitely makes sense. Yeah, the biggest bummer is the price-point in relation to the function and design. Google was just not ready to design fully wireless earbuds, and that's still a very tough market anyways. Somehow they played it safe but still semi-botched it. At $80, that's a good deal. Unfortunately it'll probably be awhile before Apple has a real competitor in that market. Curious to see what AirPods 2 bring.

On another note, I thought the AirPods pairing/connection was great with my Pixel until I started using my Bose last night, and it's night and day difference. When I flip the Bose on, they connect instantly every single time. Have yet to require going to the bluetooth settings and picking them.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
That definitely makes sense. Yeah, the biggest bummer is the price-point in relation to the function and design. Google was just not ready to design fully wireless earbuds, and that's still a very tough market anyways. Somehow they played it safe but still semi-botched it. At $80, that's a good deal. Unfortunately it'll probably be awhile before Apple has a real competitor in that market. Curious to see what AirPods 2 bring.

On another note, I thought the AirPods pairing/connection was great with my Pixel until I started using my Bose last night, and it's night and day difference. When I flip the Bose on, they connect instantly every single time. Have yet to require going to the bluetooth settings and picking them.

I own a pair of wireless Bose, can't say as I've ever noticed a difference in connection speed. Although one difference I do notice between bluetooth on iOS vs Android is that devices connected to Android tend to drop audio much more than on the iOS. Dunno why that would be but that's been my experience.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just for kicks, I fired up my OG Pixel XL and installed the Camera NX app on it from apk-mirror. This is the port of the Pixel 2 camera app with portrait mode and AR stickers. I was curious how it would do on the OG Pixel XL running 8.1 Oreo.

Well, to my surprise it runs just like it does no the Pixel 2 itself! Portrait mode works fantastically on both the rear camera AND the selfie camera! And AR stickers work perfectly too. I may just stick with my Pixel XL considering the problems I’ve had with the 2XL. The first gen still runs like a champ and now that I’ve got the newer camera features I feel like I’ve got the bets of both worlds.

That's very interesting, thanks for posting.
I do love the OG Pixel, probably more than the 2. I also find the XL to be a nicer size.

I've changed the screen on my 2 to be saturated from boosted and think I prefer it. Colours really do pop now, even if they do venture into Samsung levels of rich.

Also, I'm absolutely loving the Google search thing when swiping right on the home screen. It’s so so much better than any news apps on other phones and even the news that iPhone provides. If ever I’m bored, I just swipe into it and there’s always something I want to read about. Clever Google.

I still need a good case for my Pixel. I want a clear one, as thin as possible and I want it to be hard. I hate these flexi gel ones. They’re always too thick and bulk the phone out. I have a hard clear shell on my X and it was so cheap from carphonewarehouse but I love it as it keeps the back safe and is thin enough to not add bulk and weight.

Might nip in over the weekend to see if they do a Pixel flavoured one.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Would absolutely love it if they came out with a really big screen XL version with slim bezels and a 16:9 FLAT screen. That would make for a great alternative to these narrow & curved hipster phones ;)

You think so, but the Nexus 6 was a surfboard. And imagine carrying a phone the size of the iPhone 8+ but smaller bezels. That'd be difficult to hold.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
My replacement XL 2 came in a little bit ago. Can't tell if it's a refurb or new one.

So I guess I'll be getting the current device reset, packaged back up and sent back to Google here in a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.