Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My replacement XL 2 came in a little bit ago. Can't tell if it's a refurb or new one.

So I guess I'll be getting the current device reset, packaged back up and sent back to Google here in a while.
Good luck! I hope everything works out well this time.

I’m doing well with my Pixel 2 but kind of wishing it had a bigger display. Not too much bigger, just a little bit bigger. I think that’s because I bounce back and forth among the 8 Plus, S8+ and Snowball.

I’m drooling over the Red Hydrogen phone now. Wow. I wonder if it will deliver on all the promises. That would be incredible if it did.

Reactions: slitherjef

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Absolutely loving my XL 2 thus far. A few things:

- got a Google Fabric Case for it (the Midnight colour) - not as nice as Samsung Alcantara but still great!

- No headphone jack is still taking some getting used to, it's basically driven me to buy a pair of Airpods

- Considering Pixel Buds but already have a cheap pair of wireless ones with a cable

- There is a pair of pre-owned Pixel Buds going on eBay UK right now: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-P...055845?hash=item2f143dc6e5:g:mgYAAOSwQwZaabo8

- The one issue I'm having is making phone calls, sometimes no sound comes out at all, but can receive fine, any ideas?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Absolutely loving my XL 2 thus far. A few things:

- got a Google Fabric Case for it (the Midnight colour) - not as nice as Samsung Alcantara but still great!

- No headphone jack is still taking some getting used to, it's basically driven me to buy a pair of Airpods

- Considering Pixel Buds but already have a cheap pair of wireless ones with a cable

- There is a pair of pre-owned Pixel Buds going on eBay UK right now: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-P...055845?hash=item2f143dc6e5:g:mgYAAOSwQwZaabo8

- The one issue I'm having is making phone calls, sometimes no sound comes out at all, but can receive fine, any ideas?

By chance are you not putting the airpods back in the case by chance? That's happened to me a few times on accident and the phone was still connected.

Reactions: JaySoul

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
By chance are you not putting the airpods back in the case by chance? That's happened to me a few times on accident and the phone was still connected.

Haven't received my Airpods yet!

The only thing it's connected to via Bluetooth is my smartwatch.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Are any of you using Airpods with your Pixel 2? Just wondering what functionality I'd lose with Android vs iOS.

Got some coming. Had a pair with Samsung S8, worked brilliantly.

From memory, only functionality missing is Siri and the tap function.

Once you set it up, it pairs nice and quickly, rarely cuts out... Hence why I'm getting a pair for Pixel 2 XL.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I’ve had a couple of issues with my AirPods and Android.
Sometimes the sound is reduced to the point that having the volume full blast still isn’t loud enough. A google search found that this is a common problem. The only way I’ve managed to overcome it is to forget the AirPods and pair again in the settings.

I’m not sure if the music / video pauses when an AirPod is removed? I’m sure that functionality is also lost?

Really, they don’t work together as nicely as I’d like. I much prefer their interaction with an iPhone (obviously) and pairing with Android does leave a fair bit to be desired. No connection issues though, other than the sound thing.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Got some coming. Had a pair with Samsung S8, worked brilliantly.

From memory, only functionality missing is Siri and the tap function.

Once you set it up, it pairs nice and quickly, rarely cuts out... Hence why I'm getting a pair for Pixel 2 XL.

I’ve had a couple of issues with my AirPods and Android.
Sometimes the sound is reduced to the point that having the volume full blast still isn’t loud enough. A google search found that this is a common problem. The only way I’ve managed to overcome it is to forget the AirPods and pair again in the settings.

I’m not sure if the music / video pauses when an AirPod is removed? I’m sure that functionality is also lost?

Really, they don’t work together as nicely as I’d like. I much prefer their interaction with an iPhone (obviously) and pairing with Android does leave a fair bit to be desired. No connection issues though, other than the sound thing.

Thanks! What I'm most interested in is if they will pair/activate/whatever once I take them out and put them in my ears or if I have to manually connect each time? Same for removal. And it'd be nice if the music paused when you removed an AirPod.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Thanks! What I'm most interested in is if they will pair/activate/whatever once I take them out and put them in my ears or if I have to manually connect each time? Same for removal. And it'd be nice if the music paused when you removed an AirPod.

1) You don't have to manually connect them each time! That would be annoying, I wouldn't even bother them, even my cheaper £12 bluetooth headphones connect automatically :D

2) Don't think it has the pause function when you remove an AirPod.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Unrooted, factory boot image loaded back up. Now just to top off the charge on the device (which could take hours :rolleyes:)

then go back into bootloader and factory reset the device then box er up and find a fedex. Not sure on relocking the bootloader or not, I don't think it matters.

My replacement is still sitting in the box not sure when I am going to open it...

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

In my experience with the airpods, they connect right up to my Pixel when I take them out of the case. I've read that some have to manually select them if they had connected to another pair of BT headphones in between. But my phone is constantly connecting to my car's bluetooth during my commutes and the airpods still connect right away when I take them out of the case at work or at home. On a rare occasion, the airpods auto connect, disconnect, and then re-connect on their own when taking out of the case. Otherwise, they are working great for me!
[doublepost=1516980697][/doublepost]
Unrooted, factory boot image loaded back up. Now just to top off the charge on the device (which could take hours :rolleyes:)

then go back into bootloader and factory reset the device then box er up and find a fedex. Not sure on relocking the bootloader or not, I don't think it matters.

My replacement is still sitting in the box not sure when I am going to open it...

Re-locking the bootloader will wipe the device, so you can skip the factory reset step.

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
In my experience with the airpods, they connect right up to my Pixel when I take them out of the case. I've read that some have to manually select them if they had connected to another pair of BT headphones in between. But my phone is constantly connecting to my car's bluetooth and the airpods still connect right away when I take them out of the case. on a rare occasion, the airpods auto connect, disconnect, and then re-connect on their own when taking out of the case. Otherwise, they are working great for me!
[doublepost=1516980697][/doublepost]

Re-locking the bootloader will wipe the device, so you can skip the factory reset step.

I suspected as much. After a reboot and reflashed boot image, charging seems to be more on the normal side where as when I first plugged it in this morning it was really dragging

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Mine have to be reconnected each time. But my AirPods go from being connected to my X, to my PixelBook to my Pixel 2, so that could be why.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Thought I goofed. I issued the command to lock the bootloader first after hitting selecting lock then hitting power to confirm, the device rebooted and erased before I could issue the command to lock critical.

adb did not see the device on the set up screen so I could reboot into fastboot to lock critical, on a whim I powered the device down and manually entered fastboot (kind of surprised) then tried the fastboot command to lock critical. To my surprise, it popped up the confirm selection on the phone again, and allowed me to chose to lock, then it erased my device... once again.

So, it is now in setup mode and powered off. Time to start packing and get ready to find a USPS office :(

Then I get to set up another device

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yikes. I completely forgot I own Airpods. :eek::confused: I got them for Christmas. I put them in my purse and forgot they exist. I tend to favor wired connections or headphones as opposed to earbuds. To be fair I also had something akin to pneumonia around Christmas and the whole holiday season was a bit of a blur. I tried to be coherent and upbeat posting to this forum, but I was not in the best shape.

Oh well, goodie, I will go play around with my new toys now that I'm better. I got a lot of stuff I haven't properly paid attention to yet, like an R2-D2 robot. We still have our tree and decorations up. I'm taking everything down this weekend. We had to have our holiday get togethers in the past week because the flu knocked everyone out.

I just talked to my parents who are still sick. I'm checking in on them regularly. My dad likes to help me evaluate my phones. He loves talking to me when I'm on Snowball. We both hear each other so well on it.

The 8 Plus from AT&T isn't bad. It's not barely usable like the unlocked one I returned or my 7 Plus had been. But the Pixel 2 is the best, even over my S8+. It's almost on a par with my HTC 10, which gave me crystal clear calls. I'm so pleased! :)

I hope HTC will be the maker of the Pixel 3.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So you just go into bluetooth settings and tap on the airpods each time?

Yup, basically.
But then it always says connected very quickly, but they are not actually connected. I always have to wait a good minute or two (and keep clicking connect) until it works.
When they're connected, it's no problem, but it is a bit of a pain.

You might be alright though if they stay connected exclusively to the Pixel 2.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yup, basically.
But then it always says connected very quickly, but they are not actually connected. I always have to wait a good minute or two (and keep clicking connect) until it works.
When they're connected, it's no problem, but it is a bit of a pain.

You might be alright though if they stay connected exclusively to the Pixel 2.

Yeah that's a huge dealbreaker for me. I'll use them with multiple devices. The benefit of them is the ease of connection so I'll probably pass for now. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Did anyone here use the smaller 2 and move to the XL?
I absolutely love how the smaller Pixel feels in the hand, and much prefer the screen as there's no blue shift at all on this one of mine. But I am kind of slowly realising the more I use the Pixel 2 just how much I prefer it over my X in most ways. It's just such a joy to use.
The only issue I have is that I feel like I'm compromised a bit with the screen both for typing and viewing media - especially photos and video etc. And gaming which I'm slowly starting to get into on mobile.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Did anyone here use the smaller 2 and move to the XL?
I absolutely love how the smaller Pixel feels in the hand, and much prefer the screen as there's no blue shift at all on this one of mine. But I am kind of slowly realising the more I use the Pixel 2 just how much I prefer it over my X in most ways. It's just such a joy to use.
The only issue I have is that I feel like I'm compromised a bit with the screen both for typing and viewing media - especially photos and video etc. And gaming which I'm slowly starting to get into on mobile.
No but I feel the same way as you. I wish the display were bigger. Or that I could have sprung for the XL 2. But that was more money than I wanted to lay out and I didn’t like the curved glass. I despise curved glass. I love my screen protectors and want them to fit properly!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
No but I feel the same way as you. I wish the display were bigger. Or that I could have sprung for the XL 2. But that was more money than I wanted to lay out and I didn’t like the curved glass. I despise curved glass. I love my screen protectors and want them to fit properly!

Amen to that.
Curved glass is not my thing either, but it doesn't put me off a device.

I think if I did opt for the XL again :rolleyes: (me and this bloody phone) I'd get a black one. The white didn't really do it for me outside of that orange button, and it strangely made the phone look bigger?

I'll have a think - go and play with a 2 XL tomorrow I reckon and see how it treats me.

Reactions: 5105973

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I can't get a tempered glass protector to sit nicely on the 2 let alone the 2 xl.

Is the xl more curved? I thought I read somewhere they were both 2.5D or something?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
And away it goes...

My XL 2 just went into the post this morning on its way back to google or who ever. The warranty replacement is still sitting in the sealed box

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
Coming from an iPhone X my 2 XL felt massive and still feels wide. I owned a 7 plus and a 6s plus before that and I don't remember them feeling this wide but they must of been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.