Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Coming from an iPhone X my 2 XL felt massive and still feels wide. I owned a 7 plus and a 6s plus before that and I don't remember them feeling this wide but they must of been.

Would you say that you have got used to the size yet or do you find the XL a bit unwieldy?

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
Would you say that you have got used to the size yet or do you find the XL a bit unwieldy?

I still find it a bit cumbersome for certain tasks but it's ok. I don't think I would want a smaller phone though.

Also a case might provide some extra grip. I'm using it naked at the moment.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I still find it a bit cumbersome for certain tasks but it's ok. I don't think I would want a smaller phone though.

Also a case might provide some extra grip. I'm using it naked at the moment.

I guess most will be cumbersome compared to an X or a smaller Pixel 2, as they're such hand friendly phones.
I so wish the Pixel 2 had a bigger screen like 5.2" or something. It'd make such a difference.

I think I have come to the conclusion that I want to use the Pixel 2 as my main phone, but I don't know which device would be best.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I guess most will be cumbersome compared to an X or a smaller Pixel 2, as they're such hand friendly phones.
I so wish the Pixel 2 had a bigger screen like 5.2" or something. It'd make such a difference.

I think I have come to the conclusion that I want to use the Pixel 2 as my main phone, but I don't know which device would be best.

I've used both for awhile and all things considered, I much prefer the Pixel 2 non XL. I do wish the screen was a bit bigger but besides that it's perfect to me. The XL was similar feeling to my iPhone Plus models but having more screen to reach for since it has smaller bezels. In addition, the lottery with the XL screen is just too risky IMO. Just weigh in the fact that I have an iPhone 8 Plus as well so if I want a bigger screen I can use that for the day. I suppose if you don't mind the heft of the 2 XL and win the screen lottery then the XL could be great. And finally, I love the Blue Pixel 2 (although the Panda is pretty also).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I've used both for awhile and all things considered, I much prefer the Pixel 2 non XL. I do wish the screen was a bit bigger but besides that it's perfect to me. The XL was similar feeling to my iPhone Plus models but having more screen to reach for since it has smaller bezels. In addition, the lottery with the XL screen is just too risky IMO. Just weigh in the fact that I have an iPhone 8 Plus as well so if I want a bigger screen I can use that for the day. I suppose if you don't mind the heft of the 2 XL and win the screen lottery then the XL could be great. And finally, I love the Blue Pixel 2 (although the Panda was pretty also.

Interesting, thanks.

I too, love the blue Pixel 2, and ideally don't want the hassle of having to swap out, even though it isn't too much of a big deal.
I just feel like if I want to use the Pixel 2 full time, I might be better getting used to a larger phone again rather than living with some compromises, like the text input being trickier and the smaller screen.
I know that the screens are a lottery, but blue shift doesn't really bother me unless it's really bad as I found the 'saturated' screen mode was really quite good at getting the 2XL screen close to somewhere it should have been originally.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Interesting, thanks.

I too, love the blue Pixel 2, and ideally don't want the hassle of having to swap out, even though it isn't too much of a big deal.
I just feel like if I want to use the Pixel 2 full time, I might be better getting used to a larger phone again rather than living with some compromises, like the text input being trickier and the smaller screen.
I know that the screens are a lottery, but blue shift doesn't really bother me unless it's really bad as I found the 'saturated' screen mode was really quite good at getting the 2XL screen close to somewhere it should have been originally.
Just to throw my two cents in I went from the iPhone X to the 2XL, and while at first the size adjustment was weird, I'm plenty used to it now and hardly notice it.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Getting the replacement xl 2 set up now. Bootloader and critical unlocked, downloading system updates then spend a bit of time getting the device set back to standards.

Does anyone know the path to push files to the downloads folder on the device from adb?

Interestingly I got an email not too long ago from google after I dropped my problematic pixel back in the post that pretty much read "Thanks for sending in your old device!" :confused:

would be nice if they went ahead and released the hold on my account now, but I suspect a few more days :rolleyes:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I think first and foremost I need to actually use the Pixel 2 as my main phone before I make any wild decisions.
I've just put my X in a drawer and the Sim in my Pixel 2 and I'm already loving it haha.

Isn't Android just so nice to use when it's as fluid as this?

I really like being able to work through notifications just by swiping down and choosing which alert I want to act on first. And if there are any I don't want to deal with there and then, they'll stay there until I want to deal with them.

Also, a revelation that the comma (,) is on the keyboard without having to access special characters.
I could go on. But y'all know all this already. :D

Reactions: 5105973

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Getting the replacement xl 2 set up now. Bootloader and critical unlocked, downloading system updates then spend a bit of time getting the device set back to standards.

Does anyone know the path to push files to the downloads folder on the device from adb?

Interestingly I got an email not too long ago from google after I dropped my problematic pixel back in the post that pretty much read "Thanks for sending in your old device!" :confused:

would be nice if they went ahead and released the hold on my account now, but I suspect a few more days :rolleyes:

I think it's just /sdcard/downloads

Reactions: slitherjef

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Those Libratone ones looked pretty good. They are Google verified or whatever they call it. Good reviews on those.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I can't get a tempered glass protector to sit nicely on the 2 let alone the 2 xl.

Is the xl more curved? I thought I read somewhere they were both 2.5D or something?
I’ve had good luck with a full screen brand called “SuperShieldz”. From Amazon. That’s the one that I broke last week, but it saved my display!

I got SuperShieldz full coverage for my 8 Plus It works great but it turns my white bezels black because the part that covers the bezels is black. They apparently don’t make a white one. That’s okay, my 8 Plus looks kind of cool with silver and black and a white home button. I had the clear case friendly version but that was too skinny and didn’t protect enough of the glass for my liking.

I got a bubble in my installation but it worked itself out after a day. They seem to have the best and most forgiving adhesive I’ve cone across so far.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
New device, new cable, new charging brick, run the phone down to 6% toss it on to charge, it clicks up to 7% reads charging rapidly and 10 min later, same thing

was this thing supposed to charge in like 15 min to like 40% or something?

It may be the power strip but my computer has no issue? Nor does anything else I plug into the strip?

In a new wall outlet by itself now to see if that helps.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
New device, new cable, new charging brick, run the phone down to 6% toss it on to charge, it clicks up to 7% reads charging rapidly and 10 min later, same thing

was this thing supposed to charge in like 15 min to like 40% or something?

It may be the power strip but my computer has no issue? Nor does anything else I plug into the strip?

In a new wall outlet by itself now to see if that helps.
I don’t know much about these things but I do know we once bought my mother-in-law a small Keurig coffee maker. It would never work at all on any outlet in her house. It was just dead. Sorry that’s bit much help to you but your problems reminded me of that situation we ran into with the Keurig.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
My sister's phone seems to charge no problem. I've rebooted, swapped outlet, flipped the cord and charger around..

May try to power it off and try. My other phone before I sent it back the issue was intermittent.

At one point it read 5 hours. I took a screenshot and replied to Google.

Found this:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-2-xl-charging-speed-functionally-capped/

Next time I dump the battery and put it on the charge maybe I'll set a stopwatch up on a separate device.

It's at 21% at noon...

Edit again

22% 9 hours to full.
I.
Kid.
You.
Not.

I took another screen shot

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
My sister's phone seems to charge no problem. I've rebooted, swapped outlet, flipped the cord and charger around..

May try to power it off and try. My other phone before I sent it back the issue was intermittent.

At one point it read 5 hours. I took a screenshot and replied to Google.

Found this:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-2-xl-charging-speed-functionally-capped/

Next time I dump the battery and put it on the charge maybe I'll set a stopwatch up on a separate device.

It's at 21% at noon...

Edit again

22% 9 hours to full.
I.
Kid.
You.
Not.

I took another screen shot

Not sure what is going on. I've had 3 pixel 2's and all charge rapidly with included charger. Even charges pretty quick with a standard QC 2 charger.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Unplugged for now. Will contact Google support again Monday (maybe the device will be fully charged by then) not sure what other options I have since this was a warranty replacement.

I will say if they offer me a refund I'm going to take it. I'm done. :(

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Unplugged for now. Will contact Google support again Monday (maybe the device will be fully charged by then) not sure what other options I have since this was a warranty replacement.

I will say if they offer me a refund I'm going to take it. I'm done. :(
I do not blame you. This is beyond annoying. My husband's XL 2 charged fine so it's insane you got two in a row with the same problem.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just been into Currys to try and get a case for my Pixel 2 but there was nothing grabbing my fancy.

I had a look at the 2 XL whilst I was in there. It's a big ol' bugger. Think I've decided a little too big. I really do prefer the black XL though in person and like the stormtrooper in pictures haha.

I also like the feel of it more, definitely more grippy.
I have really become accustomed to the little Pixel 2 now. And this blue is just delicious. :p

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Something curious...

The device has been in standby since I unplugged it yesterday and has not dropped a single percentage in like 18 hours...

When I get home I'll try a couple different chargers to see if the one it came with is the issue.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Is anyone having issues having to swipe notifications away multiple times to get it to actually swipe away? It drives me nuts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.