Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So technically, you could exchange it for the cheapest phone they sell (£14.99) and get all the rest back?

Yup. If you wanted to lol.
I'm sure they may persuade you not to haha but as far as I know you could.
[doublepost=1517313085][/doublepost]
Ah I see, good to know. How’s the smaller Pixel 2 treating you?

It's a dream.
The XL is a great phone in it's own right. But a 6" screen is far too big for me to comfortably carry around unless I have a handbag or something to throw it into day to day. :p. Which I do not. :D

The screen is better on the smaller model and there is nothing you are losing other than battery (and the battery is very good) and obviously, larger screen.

Everyone's tastes are different and that's why it's good to have choice. I toyed with the idea of a 2XL but it's just far too big. I felt validated in that decision when I was out with a work mate last night who has an S8 Plus which isn't too dissimilar in size to a 2 XL.
That size is just all kinds of wrong for me now. I love using my phone one handed. And dat kinda blue. :D

Reactions: Sparky2012

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I'm still amazed at how well Google has nailed software. It took a long time to get there, probably too long, but the software on the Pixel is near-perfect in my opinion. If they get the hardware issues sorted out in time for the Pixel 3, then my lord that will be very exciting.

My wife will be ordering the 2 XL panda this week, so I'm hoping she gets a good one. She's leaving iOS after 5+ years of being in the ecosystem.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Same here! First time in a long time I'm considering going a full year with the same phone! :cool:

I've had my Pixel 2 XL for one month now and I'm extremely satisfied happy with it there's nothing on the horizon I care to switch to anytime soon.

On the Android front coming this year nothing that would make me switch away. Not the new Samsung Galaxy phones no thanks LG not sure what they have but no thank you HTC nope OnePlus no, so yeah none of those would be a massive upgrade or make me want to switch away from my pixel. I prefer stock Android and that's the main reason I stick with a pixel don't want to go to a different Android UI other than stock Android

The next Generation iPhones coming in the fall? Only unless ios12 have some good revisions in it like a new home screen and some UI overhaul I would possibly think of switching , otherwise it will just be the pixel 3 for me

Bass

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
UK
Just to echo what a few others have said, I've had my 2XL for about a month now. I came from a Samsung S7 Edge, which was my first Android phone after several years of iPhones. My experience with the S7E was pretty good, but the clean, stock Android experience of the 2XL is just on another level.

Hardware wise, I think I got a good 2XL. Blue shift is there, but honestly I don't really notice it much. Also, for me, the software experience far outweighs the more cosmetic kinda issues.

Not sure I'll deviate far from Google / Pixel in the future. Maybe for something else that's pretty much stock, but that something else would have to be very, very special!

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
It does make me chuckle how incredible Android is on the Pixel this year when iOS 11 has been so beset by problems, Apple are basically Snow Leoparding iOS 12.

Then I remember Oreo is barely on any other Android phones...

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Then I remember Oreo is barely on any other Android phones..
Fragmentation is easily Android's biggest problem. Couple that with other device manufacturers putting their own (unnecessary) skin over a near-perfect OS, and those are the two reasons I'll be sticking with Google for the foreseeable future.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I caved, back to the iPhone X :oops:

In comparison, I have just sold my X and I am sticking full time with my Pixel 2.

I felt a little sad that I was selling it on, but not sad enough to make me think I was doing the wrong thing.
I've been using the Pixel 2 for over a week now with the X in a drawer, and I haven't missed the iPhone at all.

The Pixel 2 is just such a great phone.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
In comparison, I have just sold my X and I am sticking full time with my Pixel 2.

I felt a little sad that I was selling it on, but not sad enough to make me think I was doing the wrong thing.
I've been using the Pixel 2 for over a week now with the X in a drawer, and I haven't missed the iPhone at all.

So you decided to stick with the 2 over the XL after all? Wise choice. I almost tried a 4th XL this week but didn't cave! A friend had (3) 2 XLs that he was selling (he is a bit of a reseller) and I checked out all 3 and all 3 had the horrendous blue shift that I saw on my original units. So I'm literally 0 for 6 in finding a 2xl with minimal shift. Yet my friend ordered one from Google and won the lottery first try!

Last edited:

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015

I could of happily kept using the Pixel full time, it wasn't a total disaster but all the small things adding up really.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So you decided to stick with the 2 over the XL after all? Wise choice. I almost tried a 4th XL this week but didn't cave! A friend had (3) 2 XLs that he was selling (he is a bit of a reseller) and I checked out all 3 and all 3 had the horrendous blue shift that I saw on my original units. So I'm literally 0 for 6 in finding a 2xl with minimal shift. Yet me friend ordered one from Google and won the lottery first try!

Yup, not going for the XL.
Even people who like big phones have said (on other forums etc) that the 2 XL Is just a little too big for the screen size.
Something like an LG V30 is a more manageable size and form factor for a bigger phone IMO.

Also, looking at the 2 compared to the XL, there seems to be more detail on the white / blue models. Particularly the silver around the screen - it really sets it off.

I just love the one handed use above all else, and I am digging this unique colour (kinda blue) over all the black and silver slabs out there these days.

Reactions: 5105973

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yup, not going for the XL.
Even people who like big phones have said (on other forums etc) that the 2 XL Is just a little too big for the screen size.
Something like an LG V30 is a more manageable size and form factor for a bigger phone IMO.

Also, looking at the 2 compared to the XL, there seems to be more detail on the white / blue models. Particularly the silver around the screen - it really sets it off.

I just love the one handed use above all else, and I am digging this unique colour (kinda blue) over all the black and silver slabs out there these days.

What case (if any) are you using on your Kinda Blue 2? I'm using the Cement Google Fabric case now. I like it but it is a bit bulky (compared to what I normally use). I want to get the Blue Peel case but it's out of stock. https://buypeel.com/products/super-thin-pixel-2-case?variant=52717314643

I tend to not go for the cheap cases on amazon and would rather spend more on official mfg cases or something super slim like the peel.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
What case (if any) are you using on your Kinda Blue 2? I'm using the Cement Google Fabric case now. I like it but it is a bit bulky (compared to what I normally use). I want to get the Blue Peel case but it's out of stock. https://buypeel.com/products/super-thin-pixel-2-case?variant=52717314643

I tend to not go for the cheap cases on amazon and would rather spend more on official mfg cases or something super slim like the peel.

Naughty, but I'm going nekkid as the day God made it haha.

I just love how slim it is and like the feel of that coating on the back.
I think because it isn't glass on the back I don't feel as precious.
If I can find hard plastic clear case that adds little bulk, I'll get that. But I hate the rubbery flexible ones so don't wanna go there and as much as I like the Google live ones, they will cover that delicious blue, which is not ideal!

Reactions: 5105973

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

I picked up a Google Fabric case too: Midnight colour... Totally out there and a bit crazy looking - so distinctive.

Have a Panda 2 XL and was desperate to use it naked. Alas, I'm just not that guy... If I dropped it, I'd feel gutted! So screen protector and case are a must, always.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
I trade my xl for a ipx 256gb but i will sold to get another pixel i love stock android so much i was a ios guy before i got a s8+

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
FWIW, this is the “clear white” case from MNML. You can find them on Amazon for $15. It’s the same thing as the Peel Cases, but cheaper. I think it looks fantastic on the Panda!

Just realized how that sounded like a sales pitch. I am in no way affiliated with any thing i listed above. Just like the case.

Attachments

• 0DB3C0C7-5308-48F5-906A-F4D5F183A1B5.jpeg
    0DB3C0C7-5308-48F5-906A-F4D5F183A1B5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
FWIW, this is the “clear white” case from MNML. You can find them on Amazon for $15. It’s the same thing as the Peel Cases, but cheaper. I think it looks fantastic on the Panda!

Just realized how that sounded like a sales pitch. I am in no way affiliated with any thing i listed above. Just like the case.
I went with this one so it would still show the black on my panda!
Spigen Liquid Crystal Google Pixel 2 XL Case
51v65TH172L._SL1000_.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So you decided to stick with the 2 over the XL after all? Wise choice. I almost tried a 4th XL this week but didn't cave! A friend had (3) 2 XLs that he was selling (he is a bit of a reseller) and I checked out all 3 and all 3 had the horrendous blue shift that I saw on my original units. So I'm literally 0 for 6 in finding a 2xl with minimal shift. Yet my friend ordered one from Google and won the lottery first try!
My husband’s iPhone X has a terrible blue shift. Even though I borrowed it for a couple of days it never struck me how bad the blue shift was until yesterday when he was trying to show me something on his phone and he had to put the phone precisely in front of me so I could see the photo without a horrid teal tint obscuring the proper colors. Alas, that X will likely be passed on to me when he upgrades.

My Pixel 2, “Snowball,” is still going strong. I even read a couple of chapters of an ebook on it because I ran the battery down on my 8 Plus after forgetting to charge it. Reading on it was okay. I’ve resigned myself to just not being able to endure that type of OLED flicker for very long. It’s fine, we shouldn’t be staring at any display all day, anyway. It’s still better than what I endured on my X display. No way could I read an ebook on that one.

My unexpected pleasure in owning Snowball comes from how nice it sounds on my ratty old Bluetooth speaker that I’m always using. None of my other phones make my Oontz curve speaker sound so good. I was planning on replacing the Oontz, which was a Christmas gift from a few years ago, but then I got Snowball and it’s like I got a new speaker, too. Snowball sounds great playing music on all of my Bluetooth devices. But don’t ask me how it sounds on AirPods. I keep forgetting I even own AirPods. I really need to dig them out of my purse!
[doublepost=1517494140][/doublepost]
I went with this one so it would still show the black on my panda!
Spigen Liquid Crystal Google Pixel 2 XL Case
That looks great! Hey, how’s your hand healing up?

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.