Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I got my Pixel 2 about 2 weeks ago and haven't taken the sim out of it since. Actually sold my iPhone 8 Plus here yesterday so now the Pixel 2 is my ONLY phone. I feel a bit anxious not having any iPhone, but I'll get by.

The S9+ awaits.
I just got off of an hour long call with my dad. I was on my Pixel 2. I just realized if I were ever in a position anytime soon where I could have only one phone it would have to be the Pixel 2 and iMessage and Apple watch be damned. That's because my Pixel 2 is the only phone that lets me have a clear hour long phone conversation in which both parties can hear each other clearly the entire time. My 8 Plus and the X I had weren't anywhere near as bad as my 7 Plus was, which was almost unusable for some reason. But the connection isn't as clear nor does it hold up for however long we want or need to talk. For some reason as the conversation progresses, the connection seems to degrade on the iPhone. There will be static and echos and other distractions gradually creeping in on both sides. I also have to be more careful how I hold the phone or my dad starts complaining he can't hear me and asks me if I fell down a well. I lack the technical knowledge to figure out why this all is the case. It just is.

I had good luck on my S7 and S7 Edge. My S8+ is prone to static.

Ok that's all I popped in to write. Busy day. I'm going to read back on this thread.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Anybody know if the free Google Home Mini promo is still a thing? I'll be ordering my wife a Pixel soon and I don't see anything about it on the Google Store.

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Anybody know if the free Google Home Mini promo is still a thing? I'll be ordering my wife a Pixel soon and I don't see anything about it on the Google Store.

It ain't there no more. They were running a half off Pixel buds deal if you ordered a Pixel, don't know if that's still active or not but it replaced the previous Google Home offer.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Unfortunately it was just a pre order thing. And Christmas perhaps?

It ain't there no more. They were running a half off Pixel buds deal if you ordered a Pixel, don't know if that's still active or not but it replaced the previous Google Home offer.

Bummer! I must have gotten mine as part of a Christmas promo. Oh well, we don't really need another one anyways.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Just got done putting the Whitestone Dome glass on my 2xl. Installation has a few steps, but it isn't hard.

I really like it. The only thing I'm contending with at the moment is some of the adhesive has come out a couple sides. I'll wait until tomorrow, when I'm sure it's good and cured, and I'll cut it off with a small blade.

For $45 it's pricey. But it's the best tgsp I've used yet on the 2xl.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
The only thing I'm contending with at the moment is some of the adhesive has come out a couple sides. I'll wait until tomorrow, when I'm sure it's good and cured, and I'll cut it off with a small blade.

I thought you were suppose to be able to wipe that off with an alcohol wipe before it cured.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
You're right, I missed that part. If it bothers me too much I'll keep it off and reapply it. It shipped with two tubes of the adhesive

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I just got an alert from Google, with a 'Meow Movie' of my cat photos and I'm in love lol

This has become a nearly routine post of mine, but I just love everything Google is doing from a software and services standpoint. There's so much they have implemented that makes me smile. The Pixel feels far more personal to me than my iPhone ever did. It actually helps me get where I'm going quicker, or assist me with questions or reminder throughout the day. I'm actively engaging with my Pixel, Home, Home Mini and Pixelbook on a daily basis, and that includes using the assistant on each one. I don't remember ever having this much enjoyment out of the iOS/Mac ecosystem.

I didn't realize it before, but Apple really never hit home for me on the human touch. I feel like Google has that, and it's only going to get better. There's so many little things on a daily basis that give me that feeling. That feeling that it can relate to me and what I need or want out of it. In retrospect, Apple/Siri just feels sort of cold and unrelatable, like they don't know what I need or want, and don't care.

It's a good feeling.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I just got an alert from Google, with a 'Meow Movie' of my cat photos and I'm in love lol

This has become a nearly routine post of mine, but I just love everything Google is doing from a software and services standpoint. There's so much they have implemented that makes me smile. The Pixel feels far more personal to me than my iPhone ever did. It actually helps me get where I'm going quicker, or assist me with questions or reminder throughout the day. I'm actively engaging with my Pixel, Home, Home Mini and Pixelbook on a daily basis, and that includes using the assistant on each one. I don't remember ever having this much enjoyment out of the iOS/Mac ecosystem.

I didn't realize it before, but Apple really never hit home for me on the human touch. I feel like Google has that, and it's only going to get better. There's so many little things on a daily basis that give me that feeling. That feeling that it can relate to me and what I need or want out of it. In retrospect, Apple/Siri just feels sort of cold and unrelatable, like they don't know what I need or want, and don't care.

It's a good feeling.
Our home now is a mix of Alexa and Google. I have two Google Home minis and the white one is set up in the kitchen and the coral colored one will be the one we take when we go on vacation. It will be convenient to have a voice assistant on holiday with us, especially with my in laws traveling along and now used to asking Alexa/Spotify to play songs for them.

Of the two, Alexa is the more personable, but both are very helpful.

Siri was clearly not designed with the idea of providing full hands free assistance in mind. So many of Siri’s responses require you to consult your phone for a visual response to questions. I hope now that Apple wants to sell us on the Home Pod that they have further developed Siri’s capabilities.

I once very much enjoyed interacting with Siri but gradually, to the point I can’t pinpoint exactly when it happened, something changed and it became exceedingly difficult to communicate with her. She would try to execute a response before I had finished speaking or she would cut me off or there would be a huge delay between when she started listening and when I said “Hey Siri”. So the result would be she didn’t catch the first few words I said to her.

And she overall acts very hard of hearing and senile much of the time. It’s actually a bit sad, because it parallels what I’m going through with my mother. It’s kind of a constant reminder of the challenges I’m dealing with when I am trying to help my mom.

Siri didn’t used to work so poorly for me, so I used to use her daily. I can not understand how Apple actually let her decline. I can understand stagnation but I can’t forgive decline of the kind I’ve experienced using Siri. I don’t mind that she’s lacking Alexa’s charm and personality but I am frustrated at how fractured our ability to communicate on the most basic level has become.

In other news my Touch ID on my IPhone 8 Plus stopped working for two days. None of my prints were unlocking Apple Pay or the phone itself consistently. Then this morning they started working again. My prints worked fine on the Pixel 2 all this time, so I don’t know what’s going on.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Gotta brag on the portrait mode. I’ve used the iPhone X and it’s notorious for blurring a lot of areas that are not desired. I had to take my oldest to the doctor today to get checked for flu (which she has). While sitting there I figured I’d try the portrait mode on her to see if it got all of her in focus, or just parts. It did fantastic!

Now I just gotta get my little girl back to good health!

Attachments

• EEA9F939-48B0-4A21-9C8D-88CEE17D2EF9.jpeg
    EEA9F939-48B0-4A21-9C8D-88CEE17D2EF9.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 177

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Gotta brag on the portrait mode. I’ve used the iPhone X and it’s notorious for blurring a lot of areas that are not desired. I had to take my oldest to the doctor today to get checked for flu (which she has). While sitting there I figured I’d try the portrait mode on her to see if it got all of her in focus, or just parts. It did fantastic!

The in focus part of the picture shows fantastic detail. Hope your girl gets better soon.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

She is soooooo beautiful and adorable! Yeah the camera did a good job there, but it breaks my heart to see that sweet little girl feeling poorly. :(

Please keep us posted on how she’s doing or if you don’t want to post drop me a private message. I’m glad you got her to the doctor. Watch her like a hawk. Some people swear by Vitamin C for this flu season. I don’t know. I’m sure the doctor will tell you what’s safe to do and what not to do.

When I first got sick, I had no idea how different this flu season is from all the ones we’ve been through in recent years. I’m used to bouncing back in a few days. Well here it is a month later and I still need medications to help me breathe. :confused: Y’all take care!

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
She is soooooo beautiful and adorable! Yeah the camera did a good job there, but it breaks my heart to see that sweet little girl feeling poorly. :(

Please keep us posted on how she’s doing or if you don’t want to post drop me a private message. I’m glad you got her to the doctor. Watch her like a hawk. Some people swear by Vitamin C for this flu season. I don’t know. I’m sure the doctor will tell you what’s safe to do and what not to do.

When I first got sick, I had no idea how different this flu season is from all the ones we’ve been through in recent years. I’m used to bouncing back in a few days. Well here it is a month later and I still need medications to help me breathe. :confused: Y’all take care!

That sounds terrible. Fortunately for her, it's the Influenza B, which according to the doctor, is not the severe strain of A. She's is good spirits and watching some movies while eating orange sherbet.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm pondering replacing my s7e which is my main line. Thing has over 430 apps it routinely scans to make sure they are safe. Probably 400 more then I use or need. No wonder it's choppy and lags and sputtering at times.

And my mom said no on replacing her note 5 so... Maybe the smaller one.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm pondering replacing my s7e which is my main line. Thing has over 430 apps it routinely scans to make sure they are safe. Probably 400 more then I use or need. No wonder it's choppy and lags and sputtering at times.

And my mom said no on replacing her note 5 so... Maybe the smaller one.
My S8+ lags and sputters and is choppy and I have only a select few apps on it and most are trusted brand names. The exceptions would be some theme packs from the Samsung store and a carefully selected calculator app that doesn’t serve ads. I’m at a loss to know why I’ve had lag problems. The S8+ and I just failed to gel after the initial excitement of customizing it wore off. My husband loved his and has repeatedly tried to make and keep it his daily driver but he’s had to battle lag to a level that is wearing his patience down. That’s why he decided to skip the Note 8.
[doublepost=1517691941][/doublepost]
That sounds terrible. Fortunately for her, it's the Influenza B, which according to the doctor, is not the severe strain of A. She's is good spirits and watching some movies while eating orange sherbet.
Glad to hear she’s doing well. I don’t know what I had, I wish I did. I went to an urgent care clinic due to my regular doc being off for the holiday and the clinic doctor didn’t do any tests. He just took a look at me and asked me a few questions and said I have the bronchitis that is going around town and he put me on steroids and antibiotics.

I only got more sick so I went to my regular doctor who put me on some kind of breathing machine that my mother-in-law uses for COPD/emphysema from smoking most of her life, so that I could at least leave his office able to breathe. I was given a flu test but tested negative, but the doc said that was likely a false negative because the fast test is pretty much useless. He sent me home with medicine for asthma that was part of some free samples he gets from the salespeople that visit him. I feel so special. :rolleyes:. The medicine messes up my heartbeat to the point I almost pass out, so I had to stop taking it as prescribed and take it only when my breathing seizes up.

Seeing as how younger healthier people than myself with similar symptoms and progression of their illness have ended up on ventilators or with sepsis, I can’t complain. I’m almost normal except all of a sudden out of the blue I’ll get a coughing fit or my chest will feel like it’s being crushed for a minute or two. I get exhausted if I walk around too much. I am used to walking and hiking for miles and hours even up steep hills, so this is a new existence for me. I’m really alarmed by what I’ve been hearing on the news. Not for my sake, since I’ve had it, but for the kids and my parents and in-laws and their friends. My mom and dad have been sick for a week now. They won’t let me come over to check on them so I have been calling on the phone.

The whole family had this virus but I am the only one that got severely messed up from it. Thank goodness. I wouldn’t wish this on anybody.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
My wife just ordered a panda 2XL, and I'm just hoping she gets one as good as mine. Time will tell. She's been using a 7 Plus for the last year, and she is over it. She will be holding on to the iPad Pro for the time being since it's so good. Maybe in time I can't convince her on the Pixelbook.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My wife just ordered a panda 2XL, and I'm just hoping she gets one as a good as mine. Time will tell. She's been using 7 Plus for the last year, and she is over it. She will be holding on to the iPad Pro for the time being since it's so good. Maybe in time I convince her on the Pixelbook.
Lol my husband keeps saying he’s going to get a Panda. I keep yelling at him! I say “No, you are NOT. You returned the first one because it wasn’t spoiling you with extras like your Samsung. Well it isn’t going to suddenly spoil you now. Wait for Pixel 3”. He did really drive me nuts pointing out how it didn’t do this, that or the other thing like his Samsung does. So that’s why I’m busting his chops about the idea of getting a Panda.

What I’m really worried about is if he gets a Panda, I’ll be tempted to steal it from him! I hope your wife enjoys her Panda Pixel. :D

Reactions: jamezr and Cryates

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Lol my husband keeps saying he’s going to get a Panda. I keep yelling at him! I say “No, you are NOT. You returned the first one because it wasn’t spoiling you with extras like your Samsung. Well it isn’t going to suddenly spoil you now. Wait for Pixel 3”. He did really drive me nuts pointing out how it didn’t do this, that or the other thing like his Samsung does. So that’s why I’m busting his chops about the idea of getting a Panda.

What I’m really worried about is if he gets a Panda, I’ll be tempted to steal it from him! I hope your wife enjoys her Panda Pixel. :D
Haha yeah, the phone won't magically have those features it was already lacking.

My wife is into photography, and is constantly taking pictures, so it will be exciting to watch her with it. She has this natural instinct of taking fantastic images, even by accident sometimes. She's excited for it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Prayers and thoughts for your daughter!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.