Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Just a quick update on my daughter, for those following the thread. She’s had flu since Saturday and today her fever appears to be gone. Another day home with popsicles and movies and she can probably go back to school. Gotta be fever-free for 24 hours. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. She’s been a trooper through it all.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Google flips on Pixel 2's HDR+ feature for your go-to photo apps

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/05/google-enables-pixel-2-hdr-feature-third-party-apps/

The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL include Pixel Visual Core, Google's first custom imaging chip that allows for HDR+ quality pictures in third-party apps like Instagram and Snapchat. But Pixel 2 users haven't been able to take advantage of those capabilities because the co-processor hasn't been enabled. Well, they'll be able to soon because Google announced today that it's turning on Pixel Visual Core, bringing the HDR+ technology that's been available through the Pixel 2's main camera app to other photography, social media or camera apps.

Pixel Visual Core uses computational photography and machine learning to boost image quality in third-party apps that allow users to take photos. Now that it's enabled, Pixel 2 users can just take a pic in another app, and Pixel Visual Core will automatically make it brighter, more detailed and clearer. You can check out a before and after above.

Google says the update that will switch on Pixel Visual Core is rolling out over the next few days along with other software improvements. Additionally, new winter sports-themed AR stickers should be available later this week.

Reactions: 5105973 and JaySoul

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Ended up returning my Fabric case. My jeans rubbed off on them within a week.

Now using it naked until another case arrives tomorrow - it feels so good without a case, so tempted to keep it this way!!

I returned my fabric case too, but I didn't like how slippery it made the phone for me. I just go without a case 80% of the time.

Reactions: JaySoul

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Shot with my XL 2 and loaded up in Snapseed on my s7e and HDR lightly and dumped the exposure a bit more, so I could upload to my IG. Then I pulled the Snapseeded shot from photos and download to my pixel to post here...

Yeah... A bit convoluted I suppose but it finally uploaded here!

IMG_20180205_143906_910.jpg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So now I have an Android Wear watch again and I'm loving it. Let's hope Google makes one that's even better. Android Wear is amazing.

Reactions: 5105973

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
My pixel 2 xl came in last week. Unfortunately, I shipped it back to google. The screen banding was terrible on white backgrounds. Will try again next week

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My pixel 2 xl came in last week. Unfortunately, I shipped it back to google. The screen banding was terrible on white backgrounds. Will try again next week
Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I need to tell my husband. He's trolling me about getting a Panda. He thinks all the issues are fixed. Or he is saying that to get my goat. I hope the next Pixel you get is perfect. They really are a lot of fun to own when you get a good one.

@LukinLedbetter thank you for the update on your daughter. I am glad to hear she's doing better. My thoughts and prayers are still with her for a full recovery and smooth return to school.

@jamezr is the cast off? Need a manicure? :p I know a bunch of 12 and 13 year old girls who would love to try out the purple polish they got for Christmas on a test subject. ;)

Actually they're threatening to corral me to be their guinea pig. :eek: They have a tendency to try out all the colors they own...on the same nail! :rolleyes:

I'm still enjoying my fabric cases. I have the salt and pepper shades. One has a green power button and the other has an orange button. I can't see any dye transfer from my jeans yet, but all of my jeans are at least three years old and have been through the wash countless times. So I've been pleased with the fabric cases so far. I don't find the cases especially slippery for the little Pixel 2. But they are kind of itchy. I'm not a huge fan of the feel of the fabric.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I've opted for a fence straddling option when it comes to smart watch. I wear a Garmin Fenix 5. Absolutely love it. I do triathlons so it's perfect for the sport. And it works just as well with iOS or Android.

To make this post more relevant to the thread topic, my 2xl pairs perfectly with it. ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
@jamezr is the cast off? Need a manicure? I know a bunch of 12 and 13 year old girls who would love to try out the purple polish they got for Christmas on a test subject. ;)

Actually they're threatening to corral me to be their guinea pig. :eek: They have a tendency to try out all the colors they own...on the same nail! :rolleyes:
The cast is off! Now another couple weeks of PT. I can't grip or bend my finder yet. But it's coming along!
Thanks for asking!
First thin I did was scrub all the dead skin off and clip my finger nails lol

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Ironically that Fabric Case - which I loved, it's just I always keep my phone in my back pocket when walking - was £29.99.

And my cheap as chips £2.99 clear plastic case arrive from eBay today - it's perfect! Just what I wanted. Shows off Panda back, super thin, offers enough protection. They even threw in a cheap screen protector.

That's me sorted :D

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just a quick update on my daughter, for those following the thread. She’s had flu since Saturday and today her fever appears to be gone. Another day home with popsicles and movies and she can probably go back to school. Gotta be fever-free for 24 hours. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. She’s been a trooper through it all.
Great news! Glad she is feeling better!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ironically that Fabric Case - which I loved, it's just I always keep my phone in my back pocket when walking - was £29.99.

And my cheap as chips £2.99 clear plastic case arrive from eBay today - it's perfect! Just what I wanted. Shows off Panda back, super thin, offers enough protection. They even threw in a cheap screen protector.

That's me sorted :D
I was the opposite. I went from a clear TPU case that cost roughly what you paid in American $ to the fabric case. Of course if I had the Panda it would be in a clear case, too! I admit to having a little bit of Panda envy because my husband keeps taunting me with the threat he will get one and wave it in my face. He is pure evil!

@jamezr that is great news! Yeah I remember helping my mom take care of her leg when she got her cast off. It’s a bit of a shock isn’t it!

Reactions: jamezr and JaySoul

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Love my fabric case so far but it is a bit bulkier than I like. Plus it gets dirty quickly but it can be washed, so no big deal. I'm going to eventually get the blue Peel case when it comes back in stock. It's been out of stock for weeks.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I know how to block a number on a iPhone. Is there a similar way to do that on the Pixel 2? I don’t have a pressing need to block any telemarketers on my Pixel at the moment but had to block some on my iPhone so it just occurred to me I’d better learn how to do that for the Pixel as well.

As far as getting cases dirty, it’s not been a problem yet, in winter, because with flu season I’m washing my hands constantly and wiping my phone fronts down with alcohol (they’ve got display protectors on). Spring and summer will be a different story.

Oh and I’ve been looking at Chromebooks. I’m not sure if they will do what I want them to do so I’m just learning about them now. I’ve been doing some complicated photo editing to try and mix bits of photos with my hand drawn artwork. I’ve been doing that on an iPad Pro. Huge pain in the butt on how the workflow operates for what I’m doing and the apps I’ve been using.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
In the phone app go to the 3 dots on the upper right. From there to "settings" and about the fifth item down is "call blocking". You can add a number to be blocked there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.