Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just got the update for the new Winter Olympics AR stickers
5d3271125c99545265d74b2188427b43.jpg

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
so, I am on some sort of hunt for the most perfect (stock!) Android device out there (got an iPhone X as well).

Had the LG V30, OP 5T, S8 and Pixel 2 (sold all of them), I now have the Pixel 2 XL coming in next week.
I have seen a lot photos taken with this Pixel 2 XL, some of them are like, unreal. Just breath taking.

Really looking forward to next week! :)

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Officially test-driving Project Fi over the next week or so to make sure it works well for my needs/area. Already discovering some of the small added benefits of being a Fi customer.

Reactions: slitherjef

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
so, I am on some sort of hunt for the most perfect (stock!) Android device out there (got an iPhone X as well).

Had the LG V30, OP 5T, S8 and Pixel 2 (sold all of them)

What didn’t you like about the Pixel 2.

I would really like to upgrade my personal phone to a Galaxy S9 with a DeX Station next month. But the S9 doesn’t work on Fi. My free year on Sprint ends in July and I like to have as many options as possible for cellular service.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Too small for me.
Other than that, a very very solid fast phone
Yeah it’s a bit strange for me as a huge fan of the iPhone SE, which I never felt was too small when I was using it, even when downsizing from a 6s Plus, that my Pixel 2 sometimes feels a bit cramped. I can’t quite figure that one out.

Reactions: Geert76

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
Tempted to pick up a Pixel XL 2 to have next to my iPhone X. Is it a wise decision to have one and just switch my AT&T sim between them?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Tempted to pick up a Pixel XL 2 to have next to my iPhone X. Is it a wise decision to have one and just switch my AT&T sim between them?
If you’re heavily dependent on iMessage and especially if you’re in a long running group chat it’s not an easy thing to do. You’d have to decide to pick one and stay with it for the duration of any group chat you start on either phone. I did ok going to my HtC 10 for a few months (from my SE). Switching every week would have been a pain. All because of how iMessage is. Otherwise it’s not a big deal for most people I know.

Oh one thing you can do is just enjoy your alternate phone on WiFi. I have a Samsung I use on WiFi all the time. I can’t make calls on it or do anything else that requires my phone number but I can do a lot of other things with it

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Decided to give project fi a go on my 2xl. Ported my number over from ATT. Lets see how it goes.
It's been crazy good in my area so far. Coverage has been both better and more consistent than AT&T, and the data speeds have been crazy good in comparison. Typical AT&T speeds around here are about 5mbps consistently on LTE. I'm getting anywhere from 25-75mbps on Fi consistently.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
If you’re heavily dependent on iMessage and especially if you’re in a long running group chat it’s not an easy thing to do. You’d have to decide to pick one and stay with it for the duration of any group chat you start on either phone. I did ok going to my HtC 10 for a few months (from my SE). Switching every week would have been a pain. All because of how iMessage is. Otherwise it’s not a big deal for most people I know.

Oh one thing you can do is just enjoy your alternate phone on WiFi. I have a Samsung I use on WiFi all the time. I can’t make calls on it or do anything else that requires my phone number but I can do a lot of other things with it

exactly.

I think iMessage such a strong messaging platform in the US and perhaps the main reason what keeps people away from Android devices.
Other than that, sometimes I have a feeling that people make or think that is hardly impossible to switch from their iPhone to an Android phone.

Here in Europe, WhatsApp is a very strong messaging platform. I am in 4 group apps (work/private), don't miss iMessage for a second.
I even think WhatsApp is more powerful (more options) then Apple's iMessage.

Nearly almost all of my collegues and friends (about 80) all use WhatsApp (and Telegram as well), about 70-80% have iPhones

I still use my iCloud services like Mail en Calendar on my Android devices. They work perfectly fine, from Android to Apple device and vice versa.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I’m not too far from Chattanooga, so I hope to have a similar experience
Cool! Hopefully it works for you. I'll be heading up to Nashville on Tuesday, so that will give me a good road test for it. Around Chattanooga though, it's been pretty stellar so far.

I didn't port my AT&T number yet. I signed up for Fi with a new number temporarily and will do a late port if I decide to stick with it. So right now I'm running a dual SIM operation.

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So just a bit of an update with my replacement device, one is I never contacted Google back about the survey, two, I've been using my Nexus 6p cable and charging brick to charge the thing, three, I could push two normal days with out charging, in fact I normally just top it off a bit before bed just because, four, I literally have to try to drain the battery on this thing on wifi by watching YouTube and Twitter and such. Five, I haven't noticed any burn in on the nav bar like my previous device, I suspect the white chrome uses now helps with that.
Six, I know an OTA has dropped but I haven't gotten the prompt and that is ok since I'm rooted.

I wish I could have ordered the panda as a replacement :D

Reactions: co.ag.2005

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Anyone after the Feb. update experiencing lower than normal battery life? Every couple days I have to restart my Pixel 2 because either Google Play Services or the Phone app have gone crazy. Also doing the simplest of things (web browsing or writing this post) take much more power than before.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Anyone after the Feb. update experiencing lower than normal battery life? Every couple days I have to restart my Pixel 2 because either Google Play Services or the Phone app have gone crazy. Also doing the simplest of things (web browsing or writing this post) take much more power than before.
I just got the update Sunday so I don’t know. I’ve been using AR stickers a lot which is a battery hog anyway. But I’ll keep an eye on this the next few days and report back.

Stan Lee

Suspended
Feb 12, 2018
Yeah it’s a bit strange for me as a huge fan of the iPhone SE, which I never felt was too small when I was using it, even when downsizing from a 6s Plus, that my Pixel 2 sometimes feels a bit cramped. I can’t quite figure that one out.
You still have your SE? Or sold it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You still have your SE? Or sold it.
I’ve still got it! The 64 GB storage is close to full though. I need to do some maintenance on it. By some quirk, it takes shockingly good pictures, with better detail and color than my 6S Plus does.

Speaking of the 6S Plus, it is with my sister-in-law, who is busting ghosts with it or some such thing. She has some app that supposedly records ghost voices that we can’t hear with just our ears. :confused::eek: I’m going to assume someone programs weird noises into these apps. Please don’t tell me there’s all these invisible ghosties everywhere waiting to do Animoji karaoke. :eek:

In other news, namely the front page of this site, let me say I am gobsmacked (a most excellent British word, by the way) that Google is going to accommodate notches in Android P.

I can’t imagine they’d do this just accomodate the handful of cheap Chinese knockoffs that use a “vanity” notch. Oh please don’t tell me Pixel 3 might have a notch! :eek:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Got an update prompt for 8.1.0 not to long ago. It's 53.3mb

I'm already on 8.1.0 though? :confused:

Meh these monthly "updates" need to go. I know they are "security patches" but personally I think they are just updates for the sake of an update for the most part.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Got an update prompt for 8.1.0 not to long ago. It's 53.3mb

I'm already on 8.1.0 though? :confused:

Meh these monthly "updates" need to go. I know they are "security patches" but personally I think they are just updates for the sake of an update for the most part.

the february update also included bug fixes and other things outside of just the security update. I like that Google releases them on schedule... unlike other manufacturers... cough LG cough...

Reactions: JaySoul and 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.