Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The battery on my Pixel 2 has been absolutely awful today.
Since full charge which was this morning - I have had 3 hours 23 mins screen on time. That's it.
Instagram has been used for 20 minutes and has taken up over 20% battery life which doesn't seem right.

I have already had to plug it in to charge whilst I was cooking tea (dinner) earlier this evening which is not normal at all.

Will be keeping an eye on this.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The battery on my Pixel 2 has been absolutely awful today.
Since full charge which was this morning - I have had 3 hours 23 mins screen on time. That's it.
Instagram has been used for 20 minutes and has taken up over 20% battery life which doesn't seem right.

I have already had to plug it in to charge whilst I was cooking tea (dinner) earlier this evening which is not normal at all.

Will be keeping an eye on this.
Yeah keep us posted. Mine died last night on standby. My sim is still in the iPhone SE at the moment. I’m about to go on a road trip this weekend and really want the battery to last me all day. I was planning on taking a lot of pictures and video at a kids sporting event. Fortunately I’ve got the 8 Plus and the S8+ to back me up but I’m really counting on that Pixel 2 camera.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So my Pixel 2 has just come off charge as I've woke up. As usual I have just spent the first ten mins of my weekend browsing social media etc.

The phone is hot at the back where the glass section is and it never normally heats up. It's also dropped 4 percent in 11 minutes? Brightness is on the lowest setting (it's still early and my eyes are tired haha).

Pretty worrying stuff so far I don't understand the change.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
1zUrRY2.png

This is terrible.

I have never known battery drain like it.
50 minutes screen on time and just over half of my battery left. I have hardly touched my phone all day - it's only 13:25 in the afternoon.

It has also been extremely warm to touch all day since it came off charge - whilst it is in standby mode too.

Very alarming.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
1zUrRY2.png

This is terrible.

I have never known battery drain like it.
50 minutes screen on time and just over half of my battery left. I have hardly touched my phone all day - it's only 13:25 in the afternoon.

It has also been extremely warm to touch all day since it came off charge - whilst it is in standby mode too.

Very alarming.

Are you on the Feb patch?

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I am indeed.
Not experienced anything like this since that damn patch.

Lots of sources have posted reported issues such as yours since the Feb patch.

Issues such as this pretty much scare me away from Android, and Pixels. Sure malware and whatnot is bad. But I’d also like to not worry about how google is going to screw me up with monthly security patches

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Lots of sources have posted reported issues such as yours since the Feb patch.

Issues such as this pretty much scare me away from Android, and Pixels. Sure malware and whatnot is bad. But I’d also like to not worry about how google is going to screw me up with monthly security patches

I'm really surprised by it all tbh. I've had a lot of phones over the years and I always read stories like this of updates causing problems etc, but I've never had any of those issues affect my devices.

I've just got a low battery warning now so looks like I need the charger again.
This isn't acceptable. It's a good job it's a non working day and I don't really need my phone seeing as I'm at home.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Isn't Google usually in top of these kind of things? I'd imagine if there's a problem it will be fixed in the next patch.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Yes there are plenty of reports about battery troubles since the Feb patch (which I'm also on).

Battery is definitely all over the place, not sure about it getting hot because I use a case.

Beware the Ides of March, Google!!

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Ok now I'm getting kind of glad my OTA kept failing :eek:

I've also noticed that of you play with the phone while it's charging it really slows down the charge rate, almost as if it's using more power then what's coming in. o_O

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter dropped my Pixel 2 XL in the shopping cart. Huge spiderweb cracks in top corner, with big gouge by earpiece. Screen is pretty much wrecked. I am so upset. I know it was an accidental drop by my daughter, but still sucks.

Ugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this phone. Luckily I have an old backup phone.

Is there anyway to have this repaired easily ? Or even locally ?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Got some Jabra Elite 65t earbuds today and man, Bluetooth 5.0 is glorious. They connect with my Pixel the second I take them out of the case. Like, literally - it's instant.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter dropped my Pixel 2 XL in the shopping cart. Huge spiderweb cracks in top corner, with big gouge by earpiece. Screen is pretty much wrecked. I am so upset. I know it was an accidental drop by my daughter, but still sucks.

Ugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch! What a bummer! These phones definitely feel fragile for sure. As far as repair? Not so sure, maybe a diy kit but I don't even know if they exist yet. Maybe contact Google and see if they are willing to help? Probably be a long shot but you never know. Did you have insurance on the device?

I just did a quick search and this came up...

https://www.ubreakifix.com/google-repair/google-pixel-2-xl-repair

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Ouch! What a bummer! These phones definitely feel fragile for sure. As far as repair? Not so sure, maybe a diy kit but I don't even know if they exist yet. Maybe contact Google and see if they are willing to help? Probably be a long shot but you never know. Did you have insurance on the device?

I just did a quick search and this came up...

https://www.ubreakifix.com/google-repair/google-pixel-2-xl-repair

Yeah I heard about that iFix place. It states $219 repair, and there's a location two towns over. Not sure how trustworthy they are, and if they even stock Pixel parts ?

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Yeah I heard about that iFix place. It states $219 repair, and there's a location two towns over. Not sure how trustworthy they are, and if they even stock Pixel parts ?

I’ve had to call them before about repairs. They are the authorized Google repair shop in the States. They stock OEM parts and do good work from my experience.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Another place to check out would be ifixit to see if they have a teardown and or parts list. And still maybe contact Google and see what they have to say at least out of curiosity

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not sure what to think. My house is kept at 67-69F in the winter unless we have our wood stove going, which is rare, then it gets up to 71F. I charge my Pixel 2 when I sleep so can’t say it’s charging fast or not. I use the charger that came with it. I got normal battery life out of it on the road yesterday. No overheating and no fast draining and if held onto AT&T signal for weak signal areas where my 8 Plus struggled with signal strength. I’m thinking I’ve been spared the latest battery snafu. I do not have any social media apps loaded on at all. It’s almost stock with some added Google apps like Snapseed and Google Translate. And a couple of Amazon apps. No games or anything that might cause trouble. All of those apps are loaded on my Samsung, and they are few even on my Sammy.
[doublepost=1518981373][/doublepost]
Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no, :eek: I’m sorry to hear that. You have one of the good ones, too. Jeez Louise, that’s some bad luck but this stuff does happen. That’s why I got otter boxes when I had the X, I was terrified of accidents the entire time I owned that phone, even with AppleCare Plus.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, sorry to hear that... Please don't return
Maybe this is what’s happening to the guy here with charging issues:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...much-slowly-certain-temperatures-doesnt-tell/

What... the... hell!!!

How bizarre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.