Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So yesterday my battery seemingly returned to some form of normal. Got a fill day out of it with pretty moderate to heavy use and the phone was stone cold all day.

This morning I've unplugged it at 6:45am, got ready for work, stuck it in my pocket and drove to the office and when I took it out my pocket it's really hot and I've lost 12 percent battery. Through doing nothing. Haven't even turned the screen on.

Dropped to 85% just typing this now.
Starting to pee me off.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
uhhhh you were 100% right :rolleyes::rolleyes:
The Pixel 2 XL is just a tad to big for my daily usage. Sold it.

I hear some really good things about the first Oreo 8.1 beta on the Essential Phone. It solves a lot software related things from previous complaints.
Might import one of those.

the saga continues :D

Lol I knew it!!
The 2 XL is a bit too big, I agree. I have contemplated switching to an XL a few times but each time the size puts me off as I just love the feel of the regular model so much.
I wish I had actual man sized hands then I'd appreciate the XL lol.

Although I will admit. Even I have been tempted by the Essential following the new colours and all the updates. But then I remember that vibration motor from when I had one last and it's the worst thing ever so :p.

Reactions: Geert76

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
So yesterday my battery seemingly returned to some form of normal. Got a fill day out of it with pretty moderate to heavy use and the phone was stone cold all day.

This morning I've unplugged it at 6:45am, got ready for work, stuck it in my pocket and drove to the office and when I took it out my pocket it's really hot and I've lost 12 percent battery. Through doing nothing. Haven't even turned the screen on.

Dropped to 85% just typing this now.
Starting to pee me off.

Could be wake locks and the bad Feb patch.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Could be wake locks and the bad Feb patch.

It's definitely the Feb patch.
I turned my phone off completely once getting into work this morning and seeing the huge drain. When I turned it back on it didn't hear up again and battery has been stable / normal ever since. Hope I don't have to do that every day until this is resolved. :rolleyes:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I started at 6am this morning with 100% and with a full day's normal usage, I'm now at 23% so it's not really a problem for me.

I'm sure Google will sort it out in the next few weeks. Meanwhile I'm just in love with the camera!!

Also regarding size, I like how big the 2 XL is - when I have a bigger phone, I'm not as addicted to it, I don't use it in bed, I'm much more responsible using it.

If a phone is too ergonomically easy to use, I don't like it. The S7 Edge was great for me, the S8 was too well made! I know it sounds weird but bigger phones are healthier for me, personally.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It's definitely the Feb patch.
I turned my phone off completely once getting into work this morning and seeing the huge drain. When I turned it back on it didn't hear up again and battery has been stable / normal ever since. Hope I don't have to do that every day until this is resolved. :rolleyes:

Does this mean Pixel owners can’t really enjoy having fast updates because Google has some major bugs so often?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Does this mean Pixel owners can’t really enjoy having fast updates because Google has some major bugs so often?

Well outside of this issue, which only appears to be affecting me on this forum so far, I've had no issues.
Can't speak for anyone else.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Well outside of this issue, which only appears to be affecting me on this forum so far, I've had no issues.
Can't speak for anyone else.

I read some Reddit users aren’t thrilled with Feb’s patch either. I think I’ll wait for the 2XL to drop in price or try the Pixel 3.

Is it reasonable to expect the Pixel 3 to have minimal bezels, 3D facial recognition, and a more premium build quality?

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I read some Reddit users aren’t thrilled with Feb’s patch either. I think I’ll wait for the 2XL to drop in price or try the Pixel 3.

Is it reasonable to expect the Pixel 3 to have minimal bezels, 3D facial recognition, and a more premium build quality?
I think it depends on when Google starts development of next gen models. With the acquisition of the HTC hardware team just finalized,not sure it is safe to assume wellw see the fruits of that investment manifest themselves this year. At least not in a meaningful way.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I think it depends on when Google starts development of next gen models. With the acquisition of the HTC hardware team just finalized,not sure it is safe to assume wellw see the fruits of that investment manifest themselves this year. At least not in a meaningful way.

I have faith they will address growing mobile trends much more in 2018. Dual cameras are staples w/ Samsung, LG, Apple, OnePlus, and other major OEMs. Minimal bezels are expected with the Moto G6/G6 Plus since they both feature FHD+ screens. LG and Samsung brought stronger facial recognition into more mainstream phones with the LG G6/Q6/V30 series and S8/S8+/Note 8 respectively. Apple's FaceID is popular; thus, Google needs an answer stronger than Trusted Faces.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I have faith they will address growing mobile trends much more in 2018. Dual cameras are staples w/ Samsung, LG, Apple, OnePlus, and other major OEMs. Minimal bezels are expected with the Moto G6/G6 Plus since they both feature FHD+ screens. LG and Samsung brought stronger facial recognition into more mainstream phones with the LG G6/Q6/V30 series and S8/S8+/Note 8 respectively. Apple's FaceID is popular; thus, Google needs an answer stronger than Trusted Faces.
I think Google should add dual cameras like how LG does it. 1 will be like how it functions now with portrait mode through software and the other a wide angle lens. I don't think anyone could argue with that setup.

Face ID imo is not a must have for me. People might say get with the times because that's the future. But in my use case I can never see face id being quicker to access my phone. I always keep it in my pocket and once I reach for it my finger is already on the finger print scanner. So my phone is unlocked before I even look on it.

I do welcome having both though!

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I'd only want to see Face ID on the Pixel 3 if it means Touch ID stays on the back as well. While that's unlikely, giving the user options can never backfire, especially with biometric security. I just hope Face ID would be more than the half-baked version Samsung implemented this past year.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I haven't kept a phone this long in forever. The iPhone X has called my name a few times, but I can't leave this camera!

My boy is about to turn 5 months and is getting big! 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180220151452679_COVER-2016x1512.jpg

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I haven't kept a phone this long in forever. The iPhone X has called my name a few times, but I can't leave this camera!

My boy is about to turn 5 months and is getting big! View attachment 751901

OMG I love him haha.
Looks like my dawg only mine is more ginger. He has ginger ears. :D
Which I like as they look like chicken schnitzels so I often try and pretend bite them off when he wants to play.
Wow, I sound weird.
Dog owners, eh! :p

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
I'd only want to see Face ID on the Pixel 3 if it means Touch ID stays on the back as well. While that's unlikely, giving the user options can never backfire, especially with biometric security. I just hope Face ID would be more than the half-baked version Samsung implemented this past year.

I have the X and a Pixel 2. I feel the size / screen of the X is perfect but it's not my Goldilocks phone. FaceID blows. I hate it. It feels like it's gotten slower and many many times where I had to take extra steps to unlock. You constantly have to tilt the phone for it to see you or enter your PIN. Etc. It just kinda sucks honestly. I do however appreciate the edge to edge screen so for that reason, I am liking the format of full front screen and rear FP reader like on Android devices.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Anybody else start using 'Reply' yet? For an early beta app release, it's pretty awesome! It basically adds contextual quick reply options to any text notifications and supports several apps.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have the X and a Pixel 2. I feel the size / screen of the X is perfect but it's not my Goldilocks phone. FaceID blows. I hate it. It feels like it's gotten slower and many many times where I had to take extra steps to unlock. You constantly have to tilt the phone for it to see you or enter your PIN. Etc. It just kinda sucks honestly. I do however appreciate the edge to edge screen so for that reason, I am liking the format of full front screen and rear FP reader like on Android devices.
I don’t know what could possibly be the cause, but when I had the X my Face ID stopped working well toward the last week and half or two weeks that I owned it. So I re-registered my face (after all that face training) and it started working again. I had to do it something similar for the IPhone 8 Plus I have now. The fingerprint sensor simply stopped working well. And to be fair, this happens to me all the time with even more annoying frequency on my Samsung phones. So far it’s not happened to my Pixel 2, not even close! Nor did it ever happen to my HTC fingerprint sensor.

For iPhones I’m thinking it’s an iOS issue, but I don’t know or understand enough to hazard a guess as to what precisely is happening. I don’t think it’s the hardware because re-registration wouldn’t otherwise have any effect if the hardware is what is failing. It’s almost like a memory leak kind of thing. Lol-it’s leaking the memory of what our face or fingerprints look like. :p

I’m not as picky as most iPhone peeps on this forum seem to be about where fingerprint sensors are placed. I think the location on my S8+ is absurd, but I got used to it. If it’s stuck on there somewhere, I’ll find it. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes when people were getting absolutely livid during the time some rumors proposed that Apple would put the fps on the back of an iPhone. I’d rather have it there than not available as an option at all.

I think the reason I’m willing to be flexible about FPS placement is that I do truly fear the manufacturers will follow Apple in declaring fingerprint sensors obsolete and force battery hungry Face ID or iris scanners on us exclusively. And after having my eyeballs fried by the Samsung iris scanner (the pain got to be lingering and horrible) I am hesitant to accept without question that this tech is completely safe for everyone’s eyes. I’d like options.
[doublepost=1519225142][/doublepost]Why I love the Pixel 2 so much:

EA6ABD07-651C-4E54-91E6-D799CB5699FF.jpeg

97E99B41-208F-459F-95D3-3E5A05EDBE62.jpeg

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
If any of you are using the AirPods with your Pixel (or any android device), there's a cool app called AirBattery that shows the battery percent of your case and each airpod, not only in the notification bar but in a little pop up at the bottom of the screen (like the iPhone does) when you first open your airpod case.

Also, the dev released an update today that includes in ear detection for spotify! Take your airpod out of your ear and it pauses spotify. Works pretty well in my limited testing and the dev says it's experimental. But it's cool to get some of the functionality back from the airpods while on Android.

screenshots from my phone: https://imgur.com/a/M9w1B

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
If any of you are using the AirPods with your Pixel (or any android device), there's a cool app called AirBattery that shows the battery percent of your case and each airpod, not only in the notification bar but in a little pop up at the bottom of the screen (like the iPhone does) when you first open your airpod case.

Also, the dev released an update today that includes in ear detection for spotify! Take your airpod out of your ear and it pauses spotify. Works pretty well in my limited testing and the dev says it's experimental. But it's cool to get some of the functionality back from the airpods while on Android.

I use Airpods with my Pixel 2 XL!! Will definitely keep an eye on this...

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands

Nice! Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.