Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have an iPhone 6S+ which is giving me some problems (switches off after I take a few pics on my camera when I'm out and about even when the temperature is in the 40s and 50s) and was looking at getting the Note 8. Then after seeing the S9+, figured I might as well jump on to that but then the wife vetoed it.

Then the choice was between Note 8, S8+ and Pixel 2 XL. One Plus 5T was an outside contender but was quickly passed on because apparently, the camera wasn't as good.

Note 8 - Heard the battery life is pretty horrible
S8+ - is still a contender but is now a generation old. Don't know how much it affects things, but I may want to take time before deciding.
Pixel 2 XL - Seen some reviews that claim that the display is pretty bad at different viewing angles.

Out of nowhere, Pixel 2 became a contender because it has pretty much the same specs as the Pixel 2 XL with a slightly low res screen and costs around $700 (incl tax).

Then I hop on to Reddit and this thread and I see some people are having battery issues with a particular update. I've been through that phase with the Nexus and I don't know if I want to sit through that again.

Back to drawing board, I guess.
I haven’t had any battery issues on my Pixel 2. In fact I got insane battery life on the road yesterday streaming video on my LTE signal. I’ve got an unlimited data plan so it was possible to do that affordably.

I think there must be some app or combination of apps that is running rogue since the update. I would suspect it’s a social media app because those are popular, and this would make the problem appear as widespread as it is. I don’t use social media except for a very specific app used by schools in my area. I don’t use Facebook or Instagram or Pinterest or Snapchat. Oh wait, I forgot, I do use Twitter, but only on my iPhone and Samsung. I don’t use it often enough to bother putting it on my Pixel 2.

Why does your wife not want you to get an S9+ but is okay with the Note 8? There may very well be some good promotions for the S9+ that make it a good deal. You just need to pay attention and look around.

The S8+ is good but it was in many ways the first generation iteration of the new form factor and a new organic OLED that they hadn’t used on the prior generation. Lol, I got a wonky pink one. I didn’t honestly find it as satisfying and efficient to own as I’d hoped.

The S9+ is a refinement on the new form factor and feature set and I expect to enjoy greater longevity with it. If you’re looking to get your money’s worth and keep it over this year and next and beyond, it may be the better buy even if there are not the deals you’re looking for while it is new.

If you want to wait for the price to drop, have you looked into seeing if your battery is aged and needs replacement? That’s often the culprit behind odd behavior on older iPhones.

So far, all of the iOS devices we have in my family that are a year or more old and get regular use are experiencing accelerated battery drain. It’s very pronounced on the iPhone 7 Pluses we’ve had. I traded my 7 Plus in because of it and got the 8 Plus. Originally i had intended to hold onto it for a year but it was acting odd and the battery was dismal. Since it was past the warranty I decided to just go ahead and trade it in on a discount for the 8 Plus so I could get wireless charging and the improved camera as well. Now my daughter is having the same problem with her 7 Plus. Our iPad mini 4’s aren’t faring great either.

With the S8+ my husband and I are constantly doing maintenance to clear up laggy behavior. We haven’t heard many complaints about that on a Note 8 so we are hoping the extra ram on the S9+ will help make operations a bit smoother.

If you’re switching from iOS to Android make sure the apps you value the most will run well on Android. My husband can’t leave iOS in part because the financial services apps he relies on daily don’t offer fingerprint authentication and he has to enter his complicated passwords every single time he wants to check something when he’s using his Samsung.

If you rely heavily on being able to differentiate your VIP emails from ordinary emails by assigning the VIP senders a distinctive chime, you can do that on iOS and on Samsung’s mail app. But my husband didn’t find an easy way of doing that on stock Android. He said he found an app but users reported that it significantly drains battery and is a bit of a kludge of a solution.

It’s for reasons like this that together he and I are exploring three main upgrade paths for awhile: Iphone, Samsung and Google. I keep an eye out for news on other manufacturers as well. (I’m still rooting for HTC to make a comeback someday). We do plan on settling with one at some point.

Reactions: throwthedice

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
After the Note 7 debacle, my wife doesn't really want to be among the first few people to own a new Samsung. Note 8 has been in the wild for a few months now without any issues similar to that of Note 7, so she is fine with that. It's probably irrational but she's the boss and I respect her veto.

Fortunately I do not have any specific application requirements and do not use social media apps like Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat. This I think also takes care of the problem where some of these apps are poorly built for Android in comparison to iOS.

All I am looking for is a phone that lasts me through the day and has a good camera.
I've always been wary of Samsung and it's bloatware. I don't really mind if the OS is a generation behind as long as it does not lag.

I briefly considered iPhone 8+ and iPhoneX but iPhone 8+ seemed to have the same design as my 6s+ and probably can be considered as a minor update. The other one.. iPhoneX - I played around with it for a bit and it seems nice but somehow doesn't clearly stand out for the price.

Last edited:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
After the Note 7 debacle, my wife doesn't really want to be among the first few people to own a new Samsung. Note 8 has been in the wild for a few months now without any issues similar to that of Note 7, so she is fine with that. It's probably irrational but she's the boss and I respect her veto.

Fortunately I do not have any specific application requirements and do not use social media apps like Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat. This I think also takes care of the problem where some of these apps are poorly built for Android in comparison to iOS.

All I am looking for is a phone that lasts me through the day and has a good camera.
I've always been wary of Samsung and it's bloatware. I don't really mind if the OS is a generation behind as long as it does not lag.

I briefly considered iPhone 8+ and iPhoneX but iPhone 8+ seemed to have the same design as my 6s+ and probably can be considered as a minor update. The other one.. iPhoneX - I played around with it for a bit and it seems nice but somehow doesn't clearly stand out for the price.
If that's all you're concerned about, then the Pixel 2 XL sounds like a slam dunk.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

:eek:Oh wow I wish I could be a boss! :D I have not once, but three times so far in my life scared large attacking pit bull mixes into submission and even faced down gang members with nothing but pure attitude. I’ve commanded respect from CEO’s and other corporate executives even when I was a low-paid humble assistant. I have soothed toddlers out of tantrums and into smiles. But I still can’t make the most simple statement without my husband immediately reflexively refuting it. Hardly a day goes by that this doesn’t happen. It’s really just a reflex on his part and only with me specifically as far as I can tell.

Even if he agrees on generalities of a situation, he will find some small specifics to hash out until I want to knock myself unconscious. I have never met a more contrary, stubborn person in my life. Fortunately I find the whole thing amusing, most of the time. When I was younger and earlier in our marriage I found it upsetting and degrading, but looking around at other marriages, I decided if this was my biggest complaint, I was fortunate indeed and could learn to just roll with it.

Still, I am always in complete awe and envy when I run across a person who actually is willing to listen to their spouse without mounting a Supreme Court-worthy presentation of dissenting opinions. :p

Well good for you and your lucky wife! I went through the Note 7 fiasco and ended up with a pink display on my S8+ so I don’t think your wife is being irrational at all. She sounds pretty level headed, actually.

If you’re willing to wait for all the reviews and owner reports to come out, the S9+ may be the one to get over the S8+ at least. An article on Android Central came out today saying pretty much what we’ve said on this thread about the improvements being significant if you are trying to decide between those two. I don’t have the Note 8 so I can’t help much there.

I love my Pixel 2 for the many reasons I’ve written about in previous posts, but I can’t deny other people have had many issues with theirs. My first Pixel 2 was defective. It produced odd blocks of pixelization when attempting to make exposure adjustments in video. Fortunately it’s easy to do returns with Google. But nobody wants to endure the inconvenience of a lottery situation for their daily driver.

Oh one other thing to be aware of with the Pixel 2, and maybe the Pixel 2 XL, in low light, when you’re viewing a video you made yourself or a movie you bought, any darkly lit scenes are going to look like blocky mushy crap. I don’t know why. I’m not sure what this phenomenon is or how it’s caused. I think it’s called black smear, but I don’t remember for sure. It doesn’t happen if you’re viewing the video in a brightly lit room. But at night with the usual dim light of a table lamp, yeah it can be a dealbreaker for some people.

As for the iPhone 8 Plus, well the dual camera is nice to have. The zoom has let me get shots of wildlife on hikes that I wouldn’t otherwise have gotten as clearly using digital zoom. The display is beautiful and I love True Tone on it. It works well on the 8 Plus. True Tone quality is hit or miss on the highly variable OLED displays of the iPhone X, which I had for a month. I personally did not find the iPhone X worth all that extra money, plus needing more expensive Apple Care Plus to cover the extremely elevated cost of repairs.

I really do like my 8 Plus very much. But Siri is awful. And iOS 11 needs fixing. And I’m a bit concerned that our batteries are dying so fast on it. My 7 Plus battery was never the same once iOS 11 was put on it. Our new Apple TV 4K has been a complete pain in the tail. So I’m just a bit sour on Apple right now. As are many of my family members and a growing number of friends this past year.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Just a quick update from me - this has seeminlgy been a fix for my battery (whisper it quietly!) so far. :)

Rest of Saturday, Sunday and yesterday it was behaving as normal. To the point where it didn't even give me a low battery warning before it went on charge at the end of the day!

Recommend anyone having similar battery drain / heating issues to try it out.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Just a quick update from me - this has seeminlgy been a fix for my battery (whisper it quietly!) so far. :)

Rest of Saturday, Sunday and yesterday it was behaving as normal. To the point where it didn't even give me a low battery warning before it went on charge at the end of the day!

Recommend anyone having similar battery drain / heating issues to try it out.

It did fix the heating issue on mine, but by the end of the day my SIM was back in my iPhone anyway.

Reactions: Aneres11

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Anyone notice any issues scrolling like in Twitter scrolling up or down is sometimes taken as a click or web pages go left or right when scrolling up. Sometimes taps are not registered?

It's a bit weird and hard to explain?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Might have known I spoke to soon. Phone boiling hot again and more battery drain.

I'm also having a strange problem where images sent to me or even some pics I take cannot be viewed in photos. I just have a black screen with the circle arrow on as if it's loading, but images never actually load. This has been on and off for a few days.

:(

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Might have known I spoke to soon. Phone boiling hot again and more battery drain.

I'm also having a strange problem where images sent to me or even some pics I take cannot be viewed in photos. I just have a black screen with the circle arrow on as if it's loading, but images never actually load. This has been on and off for a few days.

Not good. Is this a widespread issue? Kind of sounds like the latest security update is kind of borked.

---

This is one of the reasons I henced my distaste towards these monthly security patches.

I also think there is something wonky in the battery and charging software and hardware layers. But I can't really prove it. But some of these battery issues make me wonder.

---

Did you try flashing back the previous system image and see if that works?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

not good! I haven't had any issues with mine but I did start fresh at the February update and re-loaded my apps and text messages from Google backup. My battery has been worse since 8.1 major update rolled out but doesn't seem any worse or better with the February update.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Not good. Is this a widespread issue? Kind of sounds like the latest security update is kind of borked.

---

This is one of the reasons I henced my distaste towards these monthly security patches.

I also think there is something wonky in the battery and charging software and hardware layers. But I can't really prove it. But some of these battery issues make me wonder.

---

Did you try flashing back the previous system image and see if that works?

No haven't tried flashing back or anything.
Turning the phone off completely, letting it cool and turning on again has helped neofre for a short time, but that didn't do anything today. My phone has basically been charging all day.

I tweeted Google and they said they're looking into the issue and just pointed me in the direction of the forums.

It isn't great when you feel like you're playing Russian roulette with you phone everyday. :oops:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
It isn't great when you feel like you're playing Russian roulette with you phone everyday. :oops:

That's one reason I've been avoidant of fully embracing pixel Nexus devices for a daily driver. Experienced issues with all of them and spent time doing work arounds.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I tried that workaround that was posted the other day that seemingly worked for me. However that hasn't had any effect this time.

I have rebooted three times today and waited for the phone to go cold before powering back on. Each time as soon as the phone is back on it's warm to touch.

At a complete loss with what to do. But I sure can't carry on with it like this as it's becoming a nuisance.

Times like this I wish I did have two devices so at least I'd have one I could rely on. :(

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I tried that workaround that was posted the other day that seemingly worked for me. However that hasn't had any effect this time.

I have rebooted three times today and waited for the phone to go cold before powering back on. Each time as soon as the phone is back on it's warm to touch.

At a complete loss with what to do. But I sure can't carry on with it like this as it's becoming a nuisance.

Times like this I wish I did have two devices so at least I'd have one I could rely on. :(

I know it's a PITA, but have you tried a factory reset?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I know it's a PITA, but have you tried a factory reset?

I really really didn't want to have to do that. However I have just woke up (day off today) and took it off charge. Just browsing social media and once again, it's boiling hot.

I have a tennis lesson this morning so when I'm back I'm going to do that because this is becoming a joke. It's making me resent the phone. :mad:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm ready to smash it to be honest.

Starts a restore but before I did I made sure everything was backed up.
What was weird was that some things had a back up date of today (photos etc) but other things such as contacts or phone or calendar were all from a week ago.

Not entirely sure how to change it so it did a back up today / now, so just left it as I don't think there's anything in those apps that I needed anyway.

Made sure that my gmail account was linked to the back up and then hit erase.

Restoring now and it can't find my back up. So now I'm having to set up from brand new.
Perfect! Cheers Google I'm having a great time at the moment. :mad:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
@Aneres11 Yikes! :confused::eek: Okay, what you’re dealing with is bad enough, but Google’s response is unacceptable!

Is this really a software thing? My HTC 10 was prone to spontaneously heating up to alarming levels. All of my phones from that era based on the Snapdragon 820/821 chips heated up fast and hot but the HTC 10 got especially hot.

I’ve made no secret how much I loved my HTC 10. I actually loved it enough that I went completely without the iPhone for a few months and put my main sim in the phone. I had friends delete me from group chats (I didn’t participate in many back then) and took myself off of iMessages. But the reasons I went back to my IPhone were the news app prioritized the most appalling tabloid style news and the phone tended to overheat and chomp through battery. The lack of oleophobic coating on the camera lens was a significant pain in the tail, too.

I’m just wondering if overheating issues are part of the HTC DNA. This is only my second HTC-made phone so I don’t know.

I’ve not had overheating but I have no social media apps installed. I’m home now and a bit busy but I’m going to see what other people are saying about this problem. I take it you are not the only one having these issues.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Resetting to factory and setting up as new has done the job so far.
Cool as cucumber and no drain out of the ordinary.

Just need to sign into every single app again now :confused:.

Reactions: 5105973

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm ready to smash it to be honest.

Starts a restore but before I did I made sure everything was backed up.
What was weird was that some things had a back up date of today (photos etc) but other things such as contacts or phone or calendar were all from a week ago.

Not entirely sure how to change it so it did a back up today / now, so just left it as I don't think there's anything in those apps that I needed anyway.

Made sure that my gmail account was linked to the back up and then hit erase.

Restoring now and it can't find my back up. So now I'm having to set up from brand new.
Perfect! Cheers Google I'm having a great time at the moment. :mad:

It seems you have to force backup everything via ADB (XDA Link). I've done this before factory resetting the device and when I restored, everything was included, even the most recent text messages.

Resetting to factory and setting up as new has done the job so far.
Cool as cucumber and no drain out of the ordinary.

Just need to sign into every single app again now :confused:.

hey, at least you can use a password manager to log into apps (via Google, LastPass, etc.). Still a PITA but much better than even doing it on Nougat.

Reactions: jamezr and Aneres11

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Heyyyy. Welcome to the Pixelbook club. :)
Hope you love it as much as I love mine!

One thing I discovered on mine earlier is that pushbullet can send images to my phone just by right clicking an image and hitting pushbullet. Wowzers . You can tell I'm just discovering pushbullet now can't you haha.

I just need to get a sleeve or case now for mine. And maybe that Pixel Pen .

someone on the forum suggested pushbullet as well. I thank yall. Push bullet allows me to use my company's PC to receive SMS. Yay! It's amazing.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Something in the new update is not playing nice with an app. Unfortunately it would take ages to figure out which app is causing the problems because you’d have to install 1 app then use the phone extensively, install another and repeat. Then do this until the phone starts heating up.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Sigh.

My joy didn't last long.

Currently got a very hot phone and experiencing an issue where the full stop (punctuation mark) is coming a space after the word .Like that .

Brilliant. My white Pixel 2 had this issue originally and I couldn't understand it and now this is doing it.

I'm kinda done with this phone at the moment.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sigh.

My joy didn't last long.

Currently got a very hot phone and experiencing an issue where the full stop (punctuation mark) is coming a space after the word .Like that .

Brilliant. My white Pixel 2 had this issue originally and I couldn't understand it and now this is doing it.

I'm kinda done with this phone at the moment.
That sucks

What you going to do phone wise? Get something else?

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I've been toying with the idea of picking up an iPhone X. Love my Pixel 2 XL, but I just can't shake the desire to pick up another X. I've owned one before and ultimately returned it in favor of keeping the 2XL, but I don't know.

Foolishness? probably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.