Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
The 'Check for Update' button is indeed working :D

I have to say, I've had two months with the Pixel 2XL, and I'm still impressed by it to this day. I'm serious when I say I have not had a single hiccup with this device, nor has my wife with hers. The thoughts of returning to iPhone did popup, like they always have in the past when I've tried to switch, but at this point I'm completely content with the Pixel and those thoughts are long gone. I hope QC improves this next round with the Pixel 3, and I also hope things like RCS get figured out, but I'm here for the future of Pixel. I could care less about Android fragmentation and this and that. Google is prioritizing the Pixel line and that's the place where I want to be.

Last edited:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I'm on the Google Play Services beta as well, so that's likely why it worked for me.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
So it's technically not available yet then unless you are enrolled in this beta?

It's available. The OTA files are on Google's server. You could sideload if you want, it's pretty easy.
https://developers.google.com/android/ota

Alternatively, you'll have to wait till it gets pushed to your phone I guess (back to waiting on Google's regional / selective push) or you can try the Google Play Services beta.
https://developers.google.com/android/guides/beta-program

Reactions: jamezr and Aneres11

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
No OTA update yet but i’m willing to wait a few days. The update was just released so not in a rush.
This is the first android phone i’ve been seriously satisfied with and i’ve not had issues. Other than some apps that crash surely do to the black theme i’ve applied (through the Substratum theme engine.) it’s been perfect. @Aneres11 it sucks you’ve been experiencing issues but i too think you might have a lemon. A factory reset might have to be done or a warranty replacement.

Oh yeah, I finally gave in and returned my IPhone X. I’ll miss it but not as much as i would have missed the Pixel 2XL.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
No OTA update yet but i’m willing to wait a few days. The update was just released so not in a rush.
This is the first android phone i’ve been seriously satisfied with and i’ve not had issues. Other than some apps that crash surely do to the black theme i’ve applied (through the Substratum theme engine.) it’s been perfect. @Aneres11 it sucks you’ve been experiencing issues but i too think you might have a lemon. A factory reset might have to be done or a warranty replacement.

Oh yeah, I finally gave in and returned my IPhone X. I’ll miss it but not as much as i would have missed the Pixel 2XL.

Hey

Yeah I've done the factory reset and it did help with the heating issues as I've had nothing since.

I also (in the end) was kind of glad I reset as previously I must have had my display set to some sort of zoom as apps looked a lot smaller in my app 'drawer' after the reset and it's so much better.

The full stop issue (period?) seemingly is Chrome exclusive as none of my messaging apps, Samsung Browser or social apps do it so that's fine.
The photos app is the only thing that's weird but that has been behaving too since Sunday.

I think if it was any other phone, it would have gone by now. But I love this Pixel 2.
For all of the issues I've had (since the Feb patch), it is still an amazing phone. Best camera I've ever had, I love the screen, feel, size, look. Dat blue. And stock Android it so easy to get along with. Although it is missing some features that Sony or Samsung auto add to their Android versions (which are helpful), I can do without them for such flawless navigation and device fluidity.

Hopefully the March patch puts and end to the issues once and for all.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
No OTA update for me. Still don't have last months either. But I silenced the prompt after repeated failures to install.

I guess it's to the point where:

I can have root or
The latest update

Not both.

Not sure how I botched a systemless root method...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No OTA update for me. Still don't have last months either. But I silenced the prompt after repeated failures to install.

I guess it's to the point where:

I can have root or
The latest update

Not both.

Not sure how I botched a systemless root method...
I’m not rooted at all and I can’t get it OTA, either. I’ve noticed I’m usually several days to a week behind most folks on this forum when the updates roll out.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I got the Pixel 2 the other day, my wife isn't into phones so likes to keep her Doro (yeh, I know) for making calls and texting, thats great for me, I get an upgrade every year, so I got a Pixel and kept my Galaxy S8 just in case I wasn't impressed. S8 now sold, Pixel is without a doubt, the best phone I have had.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I got the Pixel 2 the other day, my wife isn't into phones so likes to keep her Doro (yeh, I know) for making calls and texting, thats great for me, I get an upgrade every year, so I got a Pixel and kept my Galaxy S8 just in case I wasn't impressed. S8 now sold, Pixel is without a doubt, the best phone I have had.

Love a Doro.
Used to sell so many of them when I worked at CPW.
Pretty cool phones to be fair!! :)

Glad you're loving your Pixel 2!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Love a Doro.
Used to sell so many of them when I worked at CPW.
Pretty cool phones to be fair!! :)

Glad you're loving your Pixel 2!
I’d never heard of them here in the US. I had to Google search them.
[doublepost=1520379242][/doublepost]
I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying your Pixel 2 so much. Yes, I like it better than my S8 as well. It’s very smooth and the camera is fantastic. Snapseed integrates so well into the photo editing interface in Google photos.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...proximity-sensor-issues-expect-coming-months/

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? It seems like this Pixel release has been really snakebit both hardware and software. And it seems updates are the problem, which is a strike against one of the reasons for choosing a Pixel over other devices.
No, everything has been fine. Quick question, what is the name and date of the most current OS and security update? I’m thinking I may not be completely updated after all. I certainly do not have any March updates.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
No, everything has been fine. Quick question, what is the name and date of the most current OS and security update? I’m thinking I may not be completely updated after all. I certainly do not have any March updates.
The March Security update is the latest from Google

Reactions: 5105973

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...proximity-sensor-issues-expect-coming-months/

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? It seems like this Pixel release has been really snakebit both hardware and software. And it seems updates are the problem, which is a strike against one of the reasons for choosing a Pixel over other devices.

I actually haven't seen this issue on my P2XL
[doublepost=1520448107][/doublepost]
Anyone here brave enough to put P on their phone?

I probably will load the first Dev preview :) I'll have the S9+ then so I'll tinker with the P2XL and P

EDIT: I see it was released today. I may try over the weekend but am not in a rush. I usually dive in at the 2nd dev preview but I always like to tinker

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.