Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I have yet try out the p alpha. I got a bit of suspicion I am going to have to "factory reset" via fastboot and re install the factory images. Not looking forward to that.

Almost inclined to just buy another device and go rootless so I can get updates and such without a hassle...

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I just got a pixel 2 XL and oh my is this device ever so fast and fluid

Love the "living" wallpapers
My husband had one of the first batch ones and wasn’t too impressed. But he saw one at Best Buy today that looked gorgeous. Google really must have done something to improve their displays. There were two sample units that had beautiful displays to rival most other displays I’ve seen.

He loved the fluidity of stock Android and if he doesn’t get along well with the S9+ he ordered he will send it back and get a Pixel 2 XL. He has enjoyed Samsung in the past so he felt he’d give them one more chance to impress him.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Well, with sadness, the Pixel 2 has gone back.

I went for a cafe / shopping trip this morning and next door to the shop we were in is the place I bought my Pixel 2 from. Well, I got it from their online site, but the shop was there. (Currys).

So out of curiosity I went in to ask what I should do as once again, I was having rapid drain and boiling hot phone.

Before I went in this is what I was dealing with:

Q8JLldb.png

The drain is very real. I've tried everything, factory reset, restored from back up, set up as new, waited for the March patch - which seemingly fixed everything, but I guess it was just the reboot which had cooled it as often would provide a fix. Temporarily.

So I went in and spoke to the guy thinking I'd need to send it away for repair. He messed about on his store PC for ages and said "yeah, the system says we'll just exchange it or refund".
I was like "whut". o_O

Normally in the UK, outside of your first 14 days, if there's a fault or problem with the device it them goes away for repair which can take up to 28 days to get back. I was so fed up I planned to just send it away and use my mum's old 5c whilst I waited.
Anyway he said as they don't stock phones in stores (they technically do, as carphonwarehouse stores are built into Currys stores as they're sister companies...) he would have to refund.

So I went home, wiped to factory, boxed it up and just got refunded.
Being Pixel-less (and phoneless lol) SUCKS.

What to do now. :confused:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

I went for a cafe / shopping trip this morning and next door to the shop we were in is the place I bought my Pixel 2 from. Well, I got it from their online site, but the shop was there. (Currys).

So out of curiosity I went in to ask what I should do as once again, I was having rapid drain and boiling hot phone.

The drain is very real. I've tried everything, factory reset, restored from back up, set up as new, waited for the March patch - which seemingly fixed everything, but I guess it was just the reboot which had cooled it as often would provide a fix. Temporarily.

So I went in and spoke to the guy thinking I'd need to send it away for repair. He messed about on his store PC for ages and said "yeah, the system says we'll just exchange it or refund".
I was like "whut". o_O

Normally in the UK, outside of your first 14 days, if there's a fault or problem with the device it them goes away for repair which can take up to 28 days to get back. I was so fed up I planned to just send it away and use my mum's old 5c whilst I waited.
Anyway he said as they don't stock phones in stores (they technically do, as carphonwarehouse stores are built into Currys stores as they're sister companies...) he would have to refund.

Dang. I kind of figured it needed to go back. Sounded like you had a bad unit but glad you’re able to get a refund. Keep us updated with what you get. I imagine you already have a X again ;)

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas

Q8JLldb.png

I was like "whut". o_O

What about the S9? I prefer stock Android too much, but it is a tempting phone!

Reactions: 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Dang. I kind of figured it needed to go back. Sounded like you had a bad unit but glad you’re able to get a refund. Keep us updated with what you get. I imagine you already have a X again ;)

Ha nope.
Too expensive. If I was clamouring to go back to iOS then I would consider it, but having used Android and especially, stock Oreo Android - I want to try and stick with that.

I'm tempted to give an XL a go and see if I can adjust to that even though I have found it too big. I picked my partners 7 Plus up before and it wasn't offensive (and I have used bigger phones before) but the screen is slightly more manageable I guess due to the bigger bezels. Foot print nearly identical though.

I would try the smaller Pixel again but seeing as I have the opportunity to do something else with this refund and not an exchange it has me thinking.
Also, if I do opt for an XL then I will just buy from CPW and I will have the opportunity to swap it out for the smaller one again no questions asked if it wasn't suited. :)
[doublepost=1520785213][/doublepost]
What about the S9? I prefer stock Android too much, but it is a tempting phone!

Same thing as you. Stock is just so so nice.
The S9 looks great, but Samsung phones just aren't really my bag. I don't want to start an 'update' war but the rate in which they actually update their devices considering how many people use them and have access to them is embarrassing.

I also don't believe the camera is as good on the S9 from all the reviews and comparisson videos I've watched.

The Pixel experience is just so good.

Bass

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
UK
Sorry to hear about your struggles with your Pixel 2. As others have said, it must have just been a bad unit.

I can fully endorse the XL though, if you do decide to go that route! Thankfully, I've had no issues whatsoever. When I ordered it, I was concerned it might be too big and initially it was a bit of a struggle to use. I adjusted quite quickly though and now it feels normal and quite natural to use.

As you say, the Pixel experience is so awesome that I'd really struggle to give it up now. Come on, go XL! ;)

Reactions: 5105973

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I've picked up the XL and it's such an amazing device. Love it already. The camera is amazing and stock Android, for me, is so much better than what you get on devices from other manufacturers. It's buttery smooth and so snappy. I'll post some pictures as I capture good ones.

Reactions: Cryates and 5105973

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
So any rumors about the 3/3XL? I know I just got the S9 but even before that I decided I will be getting the 3. Haven't owned a Pixel yet since Google refuses to launch them here, but hopefully that will change now that assistant is coming here officially.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Ha nope.
Too expensive. If I was clamouring to go back to iOS then I would consider it, but having used Android and especially, stock Oreo Android - I want to try and stick with that.

I'm tempted to give an XL a go and see if I can adjust to that even though I have found it too big. I picked my partners 7 Plus up before and it wasn't offensive (and I have used bigger phones before) but the screen is slightly more manageable I guess due to the bigger bezels. Foot print nearly identical though.

I would try the smaller Pixel again but seeing as I have the opportunity to do something else with this refund and not an exchange it has me thinking.
Also, if I do opt for an XL then I will just buy from CPW and I will have the opportunity to swap it out for the smaller one again no questions asked if it wasn't suited. :)

The S9 looks great, but Samsung phones just aren't really my bag. I don't want to start an 'update' war but the rate in which they actually update their devices considering how many people use them and have access to them is embarrassing.

I also don't believe the camera is as good on the S9 from all the reviews and comparisson videos I've watched.

The XZ2 is out in less than a month if you can hold out

Reactions: Aneres11

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Anyone use the T-Mobile Pixel 2 promo from last year? I saw the OG Pixel got people about $400-$450 in credit. Plus T-Mobile reimbursed 50% of the value of the Pixel 2 if you added lines to your account. I was thinking about getting another Pixel 2 for about $450 and use that until October with a promo to move onto the Pixel 3.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ha nope.

If ever a phone needed to go back for a refund, that one did! Goodness what a time you've had with it. Yikes.

I'm so glad there was a satisfactory resolution to your problem with that phone.

I saw two Pixel 2 XLs at the store yesterday and the displays were beautiful. Google must have adjusted something to production because they were so much improved over what my poor husband dealt with when he had his. I think he's really wanting one. I'm not sure he's going to keep the S9+ when it arrives. But he might give it to me if I decide I prefer blue to lilac.

I've got a daughter who has fallen madly in love with Snowball and is begging me to let her have Snowball while I have the Sim in the S9+. I have mixed feelings about that. I'm so thrilled that finally a rabid Apple fanatic in the next generation is willing to expand her horizons. But...it's my favorite phone right now. I guess I can consider a loan. Maybe. I wish she were interested in my S8+ instead. Or my S7. But no.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada

Q8JLldb.png

I was like "whut". o_O

Well that's a shame it worked out that way, but you gave it more than a fair chance.
You took some very nice photos with it, I have to say.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
If ever a phone needed to go back for a refund, that one did! Goodness what a time you've had with it. Yikes.

I'm so glad there was a satisfactory resolution to your problem with that phone.

I saw two Pixel 2 XLs at the store yesterday and the displays were beautiful. Google must have adjusted something to production because they were so much improved over what my poor husband dealt with when he had his. I think he's really wanting one. I'm not sure he's going to keep the S9+ when it arrives. But he might give it to me if I decide I prefer blue to lilac.

I've got a daughter who has fallen madly in love with Snowball and is begging me to let her have Snowball while I have the Sim in the S9+. I have mixed feelings about that. I'm so thrilled that finally a rabid Apple fanatic in the next generation is willing to expand her horizons. But...it's my favorite phone right now. I guess I can consider a loan. Maybe. I wish she were interested in my S8+ instead. Or my S7. But no.
I was a bit nervous about the screen issues that I read about on the Internet and on forums. I'm pleased to say I've not suffered from any of these and am happy with the screen on my phone. Not sure if I've got higher tolerance compared to others or if the screen issues have been ironed out by Google but nonetheless, I'm happy

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
For those wondering...

BCITsBw.jpg

I'm not done with the Pixel 2 just yet. :D

I love it too much to lose it to be honest. I thought about changing for something else, or waiting for the XZ2 but ultimately, I've made that mistake before where I've swapped a phone out due to "new device lust" (technical term that lol) only to regret it later.

And I knew I would here. No other Android experience would have been as good.

Went with the XL so I could at least use my 14 day no fuss returns on this one and move back to the smaller one if needed.
But so far, I am digging this huge screen.

Oh and @GrumpyMom you could be onto something re the screens. This one has hardly any blue shift at all and is crisp, bright and clear. Zero complaints here. :).

I wanted the black one, but they only had white so picked up this really cool case which has given it a really nice look I think!

:cool:

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
That was quick! What color do you have the display set up as? What are your initial impressions over the regular Pixel 2? I feel like I'm still going to get the regular Pixel 2 but the extra screen is tempting.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
For those wondering...

BCITsBw.jpg

I'm not done with the Pixel 2 just yet. :D

I love it too much to lose it to be honest. I thought about changing for something else, or waiting for the XZ2 but ultimately, I've made that mistake before where I've swapped a phone out due to "new device lust" (technical term that lol) only to regret it later.

And I knew I would here. No other Android experience would have been as good.

Went with the XL so I could at least use my 14 day no fuss returns on this one and move back to the smaller one if needed.
But so far, I am digging this huge screen.

Oh and @GrumpyMom you could be onto something re the screens. This one has hardly any blue shift at all and is crisp, bright and clear. Zero complaints here. :).

I wanted the black one, but they only had white so picked up this really cool case which has given it a really nice look I think!

:cool:

Welcome to the XL club. My XL screen is pretty much perfect. I think they are getting better screens out there than the first few batches that shipped.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Considering the Pixel 2 XL. FaceID is driving me crazy! I get so many failed attempts. Ugh. I have had many Android phones in the past but stock Android is the only choice for me. I have decided that I can handle not using my Apple Watch, using my AirPods on Android, giving up iMessage and using Duo instead of FaceTime. The biggest thing I hate about iOS is the notification system so I really want to try Android's again.......I would need to get it and try it out. Then if I love it sell my iPhone X on Swappa. I would also need to get a refund for my bundled AppleCare Plus.... Anyway....enough of that.....my question for you all is has anyone financed through Google? If so how was that experience? Also what is the return experience like for Google? Thanks!

Reactions: Cryates

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Considering the Pixel 2 XL. FaceID is driving me crazy! I get so many failed attempts. Ugh. I have had many Android phones in the past but stock Android is the only choice for me. I have decided that I can handle not using my Apple Watch, using my AirPods on Android, giving up iMessage and using Duo instead of FaceTime. The biggest thing I hate about iOS is the notification system so I really want to try Android's again.......I would need to get it and try it out. Then if I love it sell my iPhone X on Swappa. I would also need to get a refund for my bundled AppleCare Plus.... Anyway....enough of that.....my question for you all is has anyone financed through Google? If so how was that experience? Also what is the return experience like for Google? Thanks!
My wife and I financed through Google. It goes through Synchrony Bank. It's been incredibly easy. Approval happens within seconds, and you just make the $30-40 payment each month like you would on carrier installments. Taxes and preferred care (if you add it) are rolled in as well so nothing due upfront.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
My wife and I financed through Google. It goes through Synchrony Bank. It's been incredibly easy. Approval happens within seconds, and you just make the $30-40 payment each month like you would on carrier installments. Taxes and preferred care (if you add it) are rolled in as well so nothing due upfront.

Thanks!! I like that they add in taxes. You have to pay taxes up front when financing through Apple. Glad it has been a good experience.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Pixel 2 owners: What is your SOT and how is your daily battery usage? When I had mine for a few days, I noticed the battery wasn't as good as my 8+.

What is a good price to pay for a new Pixel 2 64gb White or Blue?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Can't necessarily speak for the smaller Pixel 2, but my 2 XL is getting 6-7 hours SOT regularly. That with location services on, bluetooth on, etc. It's been even better after the March security patch. I've been hitting 7-8 hours since the update.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.