Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I've had enough experience with iOS betas in the past, so I'll be waiting until the official release on this one.

I guess the box in the new launcher is fine. It will help the dock icons and search bar stand out a little bit. The added microphone in the search bar is a good addition, but honestly I just like using the squeeze function too much.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I've had enough experience with iOS betas in the past, so I'll be waiting until the official release on this one.

I guess the box in the new launcher is fine. It will help the dock icons and search bar stand out a little bit. The added microphone in the search bart is a good addition, but honestly I just like using the squeeze function too much.
I wish they would let us change the dot notification colors as well as make them more noticeable.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I have a very hot phone again. :(

I don't have to March update yet though, so just waiting for that to hit.
If it does get hot any time after that though, it's going.

Reactions: 5105973

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I like quite a bit of what I'm seeing UI wise with Android P, except for the time being moved to the top left. That seems..odd.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Got the March update yesterday evening.

It has changed my life.... (in no way whatsoever).
:p:D

I checked before going to bed last night and there was no March security update. I saw your post and decided to check one more time and finally it is there. I’m also updating my iPhone. That iOS update notification has been driving me nuts for days. I was making a recording of a once in a lifetime performance of a friend’s child in a school play and when I went to turn the camera back on to get another friend’s kid’s dance sequence the pop up reminding me I had an update popped up and needed to be killed and I missed getting the recording. :mad: I’d been using my Pixel most of the way through, but had decided to try the optical zoom on my iPhone. Bad choice.

Apple and their aggressive update notifications! :rolleyes: Funny how I end up ignoring those, yet go to seek out Android updates. Well the thing is, I’m an adult, Apple, and know when I have the time and best opportunity to install an update and don’t neeed to be reminded at the oddest random moments.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Oh hey, I got the update!

XPPAzAX.png

And obviously the battery is too low to install it.
Oh the irony.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Well it's 3pm here now and you can see my battery percentage from my screen shot.
That's the drain I've had to deal with today.
I've hardly even used it either. :rolleyes:

Probably the worst it's been today. It went on charge last night and was hot and I took it off charge and it was hot.

See what happens when I finally get to install it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well it's 3pm here now and you can see my battery percentage from my screen shot.
That's the drain I've had to deal with today.
I've hardly even used it either. :rolleyes:

Probably the worst it's been today. It went on charge last night and was hot and I took it off charge and it was hot.

See what happens when I finally get to install it.
You’re an incredibly patient and persevering person. I would have gotten a cheap backup phone and then sent that one back to Google, insisting on an exchange. I had a Galaxy S7 that was constantly overheating and acting weird. It was a loaner and I sent it back rather than taking up the option to keep it. After talking with forum friend MRU about his experience with the S7 I decided to give the S7 another chance because I did like the size and flat display. It was a completely different experience. That’s a wonderful phone. I still have it and I haven’t had any of the same problems I had with the first S7.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
You’re an incredibly patient and persevering person. I would have gotten a cheap backup phone and then sent that one back to Google, insisting on an exchange. I had a Galaxy S7 that was constantly overheating and acting weird. It was a loaner and I sent it back rather than taking up the option to keep it. After taking with forum friend MRU about his experience with the S7 I decided to give the S7 another chance because I did like the size and flat display. It was a completely different experience. That’s a wonderful phone. I still have it and I haven’t had any of the same problems I had with the first S7.

To be honest, if it were behaving this way since I bought it I would have swapped it out long ago. But due to not having a single issue until that Feb update and then the news that others had the same thing it seemed hasty to go through a return process (because it would have been a repair job not a straight swap which takes up to 28 days...) when there could have been a fix applied.

That 'fix' seemingly hasn't been ironed out as Google have been a bit hush hush with it other than saying 'we're looking into it'. So if it persists now this update has applied, I'll look to send back. :(

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
You know what sucks? I would get this phone on Google right now if they had iPhone X as an option to trade in. Yeah I know, sell it on Swappa. I just don't have the time to deal with it and would rather just put it in a box with a label and send it on its way.

The problem? You can't trade in the iPhone X on the Google Store yet. So I may end up going S9+ instead.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You know what sucks? I would get this phone on Google right now if they had iPhone X as an option to trade in. Yeah I know, sell it on Swappa. I just don't have the time to deal with it and would rather just put it in a box with a label and send it on its way.

The problem? You can't trade in the iPhone X on the Google Store yet. So I may end up going S9+ instead.
It’s so early to tell and of course I only have the Pixel 2 right now, but my looks at review videos show the Pixel and S9+ running very close to each other. In some situations the Pixel outshines the S9/9+ in taking photos or videos, in others the Samsungs come out on top. In terms of smoothness the S9/9+ is described as very good and fluid.

It can’t match the simplicity of a Pixel and Samsung has been criticized for having too many duplicate services and packed the camera app with too many options in the menu. But Samsung does do things plain Android doesn’t. So the chances are good you would do well with the S9+. I just hope it gets updates on a decent schedule.

Reactions: jamezr

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
Just picked up a Pixel 2 XL for £559 after trading in a very old Note 4 I had lying around. Daily driver is an iPhone X and that will remain to be but keen on using the Pixel to see what it's capabilities are (especially the camera). Always liked Android and the vanilla version of how it's supposed to be is something I'm really looking forward to using.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I almost pulled the trigger on another Pixel 2 yesterday. I saw "new other" for $480 on eBay. Wasn't sure about it having a 2 year warranty and rather go for an XL model because the regular Pixel 2 feels too compact.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
How many here running the Android P Alpha ? Is it even daily driver enough to use, or only meant to play around with and not for full time use ?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
How many here running the Android P Alpha ? Is it even daily driver enough to use, or only meant to play around with and not for full time use ?

If I had a Pixel 2, I wouldn't use the Alpha. It will be meant to be play around, which I would not do with my daily driver. Battery life would tank, endless bugs, and a loss of major functions aren't worth it for P (I think I will call it Peppermint because of the green/red Easter egg I think).
[doublepost=1520701497][/doublepost]Did anyone take advantage of T-Mobile USA's Pixel 2 promo last year? How was your experience with it? Did you go Verizon Pixel 2 or Google Store Pixel 2? I was thinking about going with that promo this year if they offer it again. 50% off the original phone through a reimbursed gift card seems legit to me. Adding a line is annoying, but it is what it is.

I was trying to swap my iPhone 8+ for the Note 8, but that plan seems to be falling through. I was thinking about two plans:

1. Get a Pixel 2/2XL, use that till October, take advantage of a T-Mobile promo, trade in the Pixel 2/2XL towards the Pixel 3/3XL.

2. Get a LG G6 or Moto Z2 Force for cheap, use that until October, trade it in or sell it, then T-Mobile promo for the Pixel 3/3XL.

Reactions: Tig Bitties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.