Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
That sucks

What you going to do phone wise? Get something else?

I don't really want anything else to be honest.
I really love this Pixel 2 and nothing else on the market at the moment is desirable to me.

Apart from an iPhone X which I did have previously (and also loved) but I don't have a spare grand knocking about sadly haha. I also prefer Android (marginally).

I'm hoping this March security patch solves if but if it doesn't then I will look for something else. :(

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I don't really want anything else to be honest.
I really love this Pixel 2 and nothing else on the market at the moment is desirable to me.

Apart from an iPhone X which I did have previously (and also loved) but I don't have a spare grand knocking about sadly haha. I also prefer Android (marginally).

I'm hoping this March security patch solves if but if it doesn't then I will look for something else. :(

Why don't you just get it replaced by Google? It's obviously faulty.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Why don't you just get it replaced by Google? It's obviously faulty.

1. It isn't 'obviously faulty'. This is an intermittent problem that is plaguing several Pixel 2 and XL handsets since the Feb patch which Google are supposedly looking into.
I am just getting a bit fed up of my phone being boiling hot everyday and my battery not lasting til 1pm in the afternoon despite doing every work around I have found / been advised to do online.

2. I am not getting it replaced unless I absolutely have to, as it would mean me not having a phone until they return it which I'd rather not do when this looks to be a firmware issue and not a hardware fault.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've been toying with the idea of picking up an iPhone X. Love my Pixel 2 XL, but I just can't shake the desire to pick up another X. I've owned one before and ultimately returned it in favor of keeping the 2XL, but I don't know.

Foolishness? probably.

Nah, perfectly normal feeling, especially amongst the members of this forum. ;)

I’ve been recently experiencing the same sentiment in reverse. I really like my iPhone X but find myself periodically considering getting another 2 XL, even though none of the previous issues I had with it have changed. :p

We all just love playing with new toys. :D

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Nah, perfectly normal feeling, especially amongst the members of this forum. ;)

I’ve been recently experiencing the same sentiment in reverse. I really like my iPhone X but find myself periodically considering getting another 2 XL, even though none of the previous issues I had with it have changed. :p

We all just love playing with new toys. :D

This is why I’m getting the S9+. Android, but a different flavor of it.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I know this isn't exactly the same thing, but the Moto version of Pure Android feels very fluid. Plus it solved a few concerns I had like replying from a lock-screen without unlocking the device like 3D Touching w/ iOS.

I am actually excited to see how Google and other Pure Android software implementing OEMs use the new partial Iris scanning changes google is implementing. Trusted Faces isn't sufficient enough for the battle against Apple.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I've been toying with the idea of picking up an iPhone X. Love my Pixel 2 XL, but I just can't shake the desire to pick up another X. I've owned one before and ultimately returned it in favor of keeping the 2XL, but I don't know.

Foolishness? probably.
Gotta go where your curiosity leads you. I think different experiences with phones leads to a better understanding of the overall technology and user experience.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You are an enabler!
:D
I prefer to think of @jamezr as “a comforting presence” lol. Actually I’m serious. I was over on the main part of the board and a couple of forum members made it known they think people who upgrade phones annually are “parasites”. But thinking as highly of Jamezr as I do, as well as my other fellow “phone hobbyists” here, I don’t feel quite as phone-shamed as I otherwise might. I feel I’m in unique and good company!

But it’s hard knowing some folks out there think annual upgraders somehow strip the earth of her rare metals and cause landfills to be filled and workers to be exploited. And that’s what they think of people who upgrade ONE phone annually. Since I got my S7/S7 Edge, I have been annually upgrading Apples and Samsungs and just added Pixel to the mix. I don’t want to know what that makes me to the MR community. I’m a smartphone Jezebel, I guess. :oops:

Well anyway, most of my phones stay in the family and only a handful have gone back to Apple, which we know recycles that which can not be refurbished and resold. So I’m not filling landfills immediately. When all of the family members who want my old phones don’t want or need them and I don’t need to trade for a discount or keep some for VR, I have found several local battered women’s shelters that will take any I have to spare. Still, I do feel oddly uncomfortable on MR sometimes talking about my smart phones because I did amass a small herd of them in the last three years.

Fortunately, I seem to have reached an odd plateau. My 8 Plus is all I want and need of an iOS device and will be staying with me. I have zero interest in upgrading to the new Apple notched life paradigm, and if I do want something different for awhile, I will just take my husband’s X. And he’s not looking to upgrade anymore, either. But his X display is crap so I won’t blame him if he does.

I’d love a Pixel 3 but I think they’re still not going to have it all pulled together this year. They just got their HTC team together. I’ve got a 2 year warranty on an amazing phone that manages to capture what my eyes see in person and make things look even more clear. It has front facing speakers! I won’t need to upgrade that. Lol, but if they put the headphone jack back on, I’m giving the Pixel 2 to the daughter who called dibs on it!

That leaves the S9+. If I get that, I get to the same place with Samsung as I am with Apple and my 8 Plus (and SE), I’ll have what I wanted a Samsung phone to be.

Just keep me away from The Essential 2 phone. :D

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
If I go Pixel 2 XL or Pixel 3, I am retiring from frequent phone news reading and annual upgrades.

2 year warranty, 3 year software updates, high end hardware.

My only quibbles with the Pixel 2 are the following: smaller screen, huge bezels, no replying to texts from the locksreen (Moto X4 can do this), no Iris Scanner/3D facial recognition.

My ideal Pixel 3 would offer an 18:9 aspect ratio with like a 2160 x 1080p or 2960 x 1440p display, Iris Scanner/3D facial recognition, retained FP sensor, 6+ GB RAM, Band 71 and 5G speed support.

I don’t mind no dual cameras or no wireless charging.

If I get the S9+, I know I am right back in the Pixel 3 mix.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If I go Pixel 2 XL or Pixel 3, I am retiring from frequent phone news reading and annual upgrades.

2 year warranty, 3 year software updates, high end hardware.

My only quibbles with the Pixel 2 are the following: smaller screen, huge bezels, no replying to texts from the locksreen (Moto X4 can do this), no Iris Scanner/3D facial recognition.

My ideal Pixel 3 would offer an 18:9 aspect ratio with like a 2160 x 1080p or 2960 x 1440p display, Iris Scanner/3D facial recognition, retained FP sensor, 6+ GB RAM, Band 71 and 5G speed support.

I don’t mind no dual cameras or no wireless charging.

If I get the S9+, I know I am right back in the Pixel 3 mix.

We all say we are going to stop buying multiple phones a year...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
We all say we are going to stop buying multiple phones a year...
No I didn’t quite say that. I said I won’t be getting a 2018 IPhone, probably not a 2018 Pixel unless they put the headphone jack back in. I’m planning on getting an S9+. :D If I can work out the trade in of my S7Edge and get the S9+ price down. My S7 Edge was free from an AT&T promotion.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just another issue here to add to the list.
Anyone seen this before? Keeps happening to me.

DfAGVHZ.png

Trying to just simply edit a photo I just took but it's proving very difficult as I keep getting this weird message.
My internet connection is fine so I don't get it.

:rolleyes:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

DfAGVHZ.png

Trying to just simply edit a photo I just took but it's proving very difficult as I keep getting this weird message.

I haven't had that issue. And honestly, haven't had any of the issues you've been having lately. I wonder if you got a lemon (or me a unicorn?) Hope it gets sorted!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

What kind of edits are you trying to apply? I just checked and was able to apply an edit within the Google Photos app and in Snapseed.

I can’t help but wonder what got messed up in your firmware when you updated. It almost seems like your hardware got broken. I’m truly empathetic to what you’re dealing with but I unfortunately can’t help because Snowball is doing fine, and seems to be fully updated.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
What kind of edits are you trying to apply? I just checked and was able to apply an edit within the Google Photos app and in Snapseed.

I can’t help but wonder what got messed up in your firmware when you updated. It almost seems like your hardware got broken. I’m truly empathetic to what you’re dealing with but I unfortunately can’t help because Snowball is doing fine, and seems to be fully updated.

I was just trying to apply the 'auto' filter which just brightens the image slightly. It worked eventually but only after returning to the app in the afternoon.

Yeah it's definitely strange. It was perfect one minute and borked the next.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I was just trying to apply the 'auto' filter which just brightens the image slightly. It worked eventually but only after returning to the app in the afternoon.

Yeah it's definitely strange. It was perfect one minute and borked the next.
It sounds like one of your other apps is taking over something in the background. Have you tried removing all of your social media apps (I know you may need to keep in touch but maybe just use the website for each one if possible) and see how it goes. That’s the only obvious difference I know offhand between Snowball and your Pixel 2. I have only one app that you’re not likely to have because it’s for my school. I don’t have Snapchat, Instagram, FB or even any form of Twitter App nor any other third party versions for those services.

See if one of them is tying up resources. It may not be related to the other problem you had with the battery and overheating. You may have different causes for all of the different problems you’re experiencing. If not for the Optimizing app that Samsung provides I would never have figured out on my own very easily, anyway, all the weird and terrible things Pokémon Go was doing to my camera app.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It sounds like one of your other apps is taking over something in the background. Have you tried removing all of your social media apps (I know you may need to keep in touch but maybe just use the website for each one if possible) and see how it goes. That’s the only obvious difference I know offhand between Snowball and your Pixel 2. I have only one app that you’re not likely to have because it’s for my school. I don’t have Snapchat, Instagram, FB or even any form of Twitter App nor any other third party versions for those services.

See if one of them is tying up resources. It may not be related to the other problem you had with the battery and overheating. You may have different causes for all of the different problems you’re experiencing. If not for the Optimizing app that Samsung provides I would never have figured out on my own very easily, anyway, all the weird and terrible things Pokémon Go was doing to my camera app.

I use social apps all day everyday so removing them isn't really something I want to get into unless I absolutely have to.

FWIW, I have had no problems since Friday with the battery. Returned to normal over the weekend there's just other things going on now.

I think I will just see how it goes and wait for the March update. I don't want to have a device that can't run an app without overheating regardless of whether it's the app at fault or the phone itself. It's never happened with any phone I've used before.
I also think that this is firmware related as I had no problems what so ever until that Feb patch.

I'll keep an eye on it. :)

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.