Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Sorry, but you don’t know what you’re talking about.

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/pixel/2018-02-01

Oh I know what I'm talking about. I know what you are talking about as well and I do understand the reasoning for these patches and what they are.

I know my previous post may not say that explicitly.

Middle of the month when the releases are pretty much the first of the month (first week usually) so that could mean I update in a day or so and get my device back to standards only to do it again in perhaps 2 weeks?

Really I do understand and I knew what I was getting in to when I rooted my device

:)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Oh I know what I'm talking about. I know what you are talking about as well and I do understand the reasoning for these patches and what they are.

I know my previous post may not say that explicitly.

Middle of the month when the releases are pretty much the first of the month (first week usually) so that could mean I update in a day or so and get my device back to standards only to do it again in perhaps 2 weeks?

Really I do understand and I knew what I was getting in to when I rooted my device

:)

What do you root for anyway?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
What do you root for anyway?

Mostly to block ads on web pages but I guess Firefox will do that, I've been trying to use it for a while and it's not too smooth on any of my devices.

Also I used to adjust the mixer paths to boost my volume on my Nexus devices, I guess you can't do so on the pixel

And lastly Xposed but that was mostly for gravity box but and to block the ota notification. I haven't used it much.

Actually to be honest, trying to maintain root and keep Android up to date and Xposed and the ad blocker and magisk (was SuperSU but that's gone now) has been an almost constant task bordering on the fact it's actually detracting me from actually using and enjoying the device seeing as I'm spending time to maintain things.

It's almost to the point I'm losing interest maybe because of constant maintenance? There are possible other reasons too...

Maybe I'll try rootless for a bit when I flash the stock boot image in preparation for the ota?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Mostly to block ads on web pages but I guess Firefox will do that, I've been trying to use it for a while and it's not too smooth on any of my devices.

Also I used to adjust the mixer paths to boost my volume on my Nexus devices, I guess you can't do so on the pixel

And lastly Xposed but that was mostly for gravity box but and to block the ota notification. I haven't used it much.

Actually to be honest, trying to maintain root and keep Android up to date and Xposed and the ad blocker and magisk (was SuperSU but that's gone now) has been an almost constant task bordering on the fact it's actually detracting me from actually using and enjoying the device seeing as I'm spending time to maintain things.

It's almost to the point I'm losing interest maybe because of constant maintenance? There are possible other reasons too...

Maybe I'll try rootless for a bit when I flash the stock boot image in preparation for the ota?

Thanks. Wasn’t meaning that in a “why the heck would anyone root” but was curious. I think you’ll enjoy the rootless life if you try it, though. It’s nice to not worry about things.

Reactions: slitherjef

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Well, my phone life has come full circle. Started with an iPhone X, then Pixel 2 XL (3x - all bad), then iPhone 8 Plus + Pixel 2. Well just sold this combo and got myself an X again. As much as I liked the 8 Plus and Pixel 2 combo (for the same price as ONE X) I just like the X better. And I can only use one phone at a time really so having 2 good phones was less rewarding than just having one great phone.

In the end, I'm a pretty extreme tech geek (like many here) and while the X and 8 Plus are good I missed having the latest and greatest in the X. It sounds petty but I like having the best and newest. I do this with a few other things too, not just phones. Back to my Silver iPhone X (man is it pretty). I'll be staying subscribed to this thread though because you are all a pleasant bunch (for the most part haha). :D

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Chrome is adding ad blocker functionality starting tomorrow.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Wow rooting sounds like a lot of work. I don’t really see many ads due to using Samsung browser with an ad blocker on it. Now if you download an app that causes ads to pop up, I guess that needs to be addressed somehow. That’s never happened to me, yet, but it happened to my husband. Fortunately he was able to kill that quickly.

I took the sim out of my Pixel 2 and put it into my SE so I could wipe the SE and set it up fresh. I was almost going to update it from iOS 10.3 to 11 but didn’t and I’m so glad because it meant I was able to set up my email accounts without having to go through the huge pain of generating those new two factor authentication keys for each email account.

The sim will be popping into all the phones I own as I go through the laborious process of updating the ones that I can update. So poor Snowball is currently running on WiFi. I have two Samsungs running on Marshmallow and one on Nougat that need to get on Oreo. The HTC is on Nougat, I think.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Chrome is adding ad blocker functionality starting tomorrow.
I'm so excited for this. While Samsung Internet is great, Chrome runs very well on the Pixel 2 and it'll be so nice to use one browser across all of my devices. I've just been waiting for mobile ad-blocking.

Last edited:

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
unboxed my new Pixel 2 XL, earlier today.

I guess I am kind of very lucky. Don't have that blue-ish screen. As far as I can see, my display is perfectly fine.

I didn't expect it with it's 6 inch display, but wow, the ergonomics are still very very good (I know, its personal as it depends of the size of your hands/fingers). Ergonomics are very important for me

I start to think that my hunt for the perfect Android device (have an iPhone X as well) will end with this Pixel 2 XL.
The last 6 to 8 weeks I had the OP 5T, LG V30, Pixel 2 (non XL).

8.1 Oreo on this Pixel 2 XL is superb, much much much better then 11.2.5 on my iPhone X.

I know its too early to have an hones opinion, but so far I am very happy with this Pixel.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm so excited for this. While Samsung Internet is great, Chrome runs very well on the Pixel 2 and it'll be so nice to use one browser across all of my devices. I've just been waiting for mobile ad-blocking.

Button to scroll back to the top of the page though...
[doublepost=1518633200][/doublepost]
unboxed my new Pixel 2 XL, earlier today.

I guess I am kind of very lucky. Don't have that blue-ish screen. As far as I can see, my display is perfectly fine.

I didn't expect it with it's 6 inch display, but wow, the ergonomics are still very very good (I know, its personal as it depends of the size of your hands/fingers). Ergonomics are very important for me

I start to think that my hunt for the perfect Android device (have an iPhone X as well) will end with this Pixel 2 XL.
The last 6 to 8 weeks I had the OP 5T, LG V30, Pixel 2 (non XL).

8.1 Oreo on this Pixel 2 XL is superb, much much much better then 11.2.5 on my iPhone X.

I know its too early to have an hones opinion, but so far I am very happy with this Pixel.

I give you a week. :p

Reactions: Geert76

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
My battery hasn't been great since the update either. Regular 2.
I'm on 16 percent now so for 9pm that's not bad. But I use my phone a lot in the evening from around this point onwards til I go to sleep.

Feels like I normally have more juice left than this at this time unless I've been using my phone heavily throughout the day. Which I haven't today.

I'll keep an eye on it. It still gets me through the day so can't complain really.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Got my device prepped and attempting to install the security update... and it just failed!? Trying again.

Been on "Security update installing...." for a while now. Makes me wonder if it borked, um now at step 1 of 2....

Update failed again!

Not sure what is going on, im sure I flashed the right boot image?

EDIT:

And another fail BUT!! I just decided to shelve the update for now (evidently I can hide the notice) and just rooted again and just set things back up. Not sure what is going on with the update and why its failing unless I messed something up or modified the system by accident. If that is the case, ill have to start from scratch.

At least I was able to get back to where I was. Will look into the update a bit more later.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Got my device prepped and attempting to install the security update... and it just failed!? Trying again.

Been on "Security update installing...." for a while now. Makes me wonder if it borked, um now at step 1 of 2....

Update failed again!

Not sure what is going on, im sure I flashed the right boot image?

EDIT:

And another fail BUT!! I just decided to shelve the update for now (evidently I can hide the notice) and just rooted again and just set things back up. Not sure what is going on with the update and why its failing unless I messed something up or modified the system by accident. If that is the case, ill have to start from scratch.

At least I was able to get back to where I was. Will look into the update a bit more later.
Is your bootloader unlocked? I had head that an unlocked BL would cause the updates to fail.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Is your bootloader unlocked? I had head that an unlocked BL would cause the updates to fail.

Has to be since I'm rooted? I'm sure both bootloader and critical are unlocked.

I re flashed the correct stock boot image twice (and rebooted)

Edit:

Yup both are unlocked, adb gave me an error stating both was unlocked.

I mist have did something wrong when I uninstalled magisk. Maybe my /system was modified some how.

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Well, I think I screwed up yet another android phone by rooting it. My normal procedure to update don't work any more. Full unroot, I even ran the installer, rebooted, uninstalled adaway rebooted, flashed the stock boot image, rebooted, then rebooted again, then tried the OTA and it failed. Rebooted and tried again and failed. Just says installation problem try again...

Not sure I can run the flash-all batch file seeing as I am using a mac to refresh my device. I am not sure what would happen if I just flashed the system image, but I suspect something has borked somewhere in the process and now I can't take an OTA

Luckily this device is just a secondary one and not my daily driver (though it goes with me most of the time)

---

I guess since I basically need to start from scratch to get any more updates, I either should just stay on this release (jan security patch), attempt to flash the latest factory image (and may have to start fresh) or run more experiments and try xposed on this thing... :confused:

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I think I screwed up yet another android phone by rooting it. My normal procedure to update don't work any more. Full unroot, I even ran the installer, rebooted, uninstalled adaway rebooted, flashed the stock boot image, rebooted, then rebooted again, then tried the OTA and it failed. Rebooted and tried again and failed. Just says installation problem try again...

Not sure I can run the flash-all batch file seeing as I am using a mac to refresh my device. I am not sure what would happen if I just flashed the system image, but I suspect something has borked somewhere in the process and now I can't take an OTA

Luckily this device is just a secondary one and not my daily driver (though it goes with me most of the time)

---

I guess since I basically need to start from scratch to get any more updates, I either should just stay on this release (jan security patch), attempt to flash the latest factory image (and may have to start fresh) or run more experiments and try xposed on this thing... :confused:

But at least you can block ads! :)

I kid, I kid. Good luck fixing it.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

---

If you get stuck going back to stock and locking bootloader, flashing the images to both a/b slots tripped me up and I got stuck without a bootable OS. Background, I was rooted with magisk and unrooted successfully. But when I wanted lock my BL so that my home alarm system app would work, I had all sorts of problems.

If you get stuck like I did trying to back to stock, I did find this script that was able to flash the stock images back to my phone to both slots. I then re-locked the bootloader successfully ("fastboot flashing lock_critical" then perform the regular "fastboot flashing lock")and started with a fresh copy of 8.1. All is working now.

As for running a flash_all script, I was able to run it on my iMac. Just do this:
Open Terminal, type in sh /path/to/file and press enter.

Faster is to type sh and a space and then drag the file to the window and release the icon anywhere on the window.

edit: cleanup post a bit

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
But at least you can block ads! :)

I kid, I kid. Good luck fixing it.

I could block a lot more if I end up bricking it lol :p
[doublepost=1518661464][/doublepost]I'm just going to hang back a couple of days and try again, maybe just reflash the stock image. I shouldn't need to lock bootloader.

Maybe I'll find a nice ROM to try out
[doublepost=1518662928][/doublepost]I've downloaded root explorer and did a quick check and found a magisk folder in my /system partition

I don't think it should be there? I may have installed it wrong...

Reactions: 5105973

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
It took my Pixel 1 hour to charge from 40-68% last night (after reading 56 until I rebooted for the correct number). And then another hour to charge to 96%. Said fast charging.

Looking like I'll have to reset the phone before contacting Google because I can see a replacement coming.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
To echo others, I have no idea at what rate my Pixel 2 XL is supposed to charge or discharge.

Sometimes it last ages, sometimes it drops 20% in an hour. Sometimes it charges rapidly... You get the message.

It always gets me through the day, though, so I'm not sweating it right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.