Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
So, do updates usually take a few days? The February security update released yesterday still hasn't shown up on my phone, even after going to check for it manually. The January update was there when I first set up my phone when I got it.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So, do updates usually take a few days? The February security update released yesterday still hasn't shown up on my phone, even after going to check for it manually. The January update was there when I first set up my phone when I got it.
I'm still on the Jan patch too. I think Google only releases the patches and updates by region. This way they can load balance their servers and update process. Thats just my guess though.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Wife's panda was supposed to be delivered today, BUT, there is a delay with FedEx. This is not starting out too well..

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Wife's panda was supposed to be delivered today, BUT, there is a delay with FedEx. This is not starting out too well..
Does it have anything to do with the ice storms? There are some along the east coast of the US.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Think I'll be moving from AT&T to Project Fi soon. Also cutting the cord and switching to YouTube TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: slitherjef

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was able to get the Feb security update patch via this method from Reddit. Was fast and very easy...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7vtcaw/updated_to_google_play_services_beta_and_check/

226017556037cbc2c70e5bc9c5635195.jpg

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Think I'll be moving from AT&T to Project Fi soon. Also cutting the cord and switching to YouTube TV.

I'm loving YouTube TV. It's missing a few channels but the user interface and DVR functionality are hard to be beat by other competitors. Plus the Shield TV (and now Apple TV) app works very well!

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I'm loving YouTube TV. It's missing a few channels but the user interface and DVR functionality are hard to be beat by other competitors. Plus the Shield TV (and now Apple TV) app works very well!
YouTube TV is phenomenal. The quality of the stream are so good. I've got a Roku and running the 'stats for nerds' metrics show me it's very high quality streaming. I agree on the interface and DVR. Also, I watch so much local sports and they run at 60fps on YTV which is glorious. Channel limitations will be solved overtime hopefully. I've been in the free trial period for a few days now and it's got me hooked.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
YouTube TV is phenomenal. The quality of the stream are so good. I've got a Roku and running the 'stats for nerds' metrics show me it's very high quality streaming. I agree on the interface and DVR. Also, I watch so much local sports and they run at 60fps on YTV which is glorious. Channel limitations will be solved overtime hopefully. I've been in the free trial period for a few days now and it's got me hooked.
I was going to give it a go but going from reviews DirecTV Now is the best and I only pay $20 a month after my $15 credit. Do any of you have experience with both?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
What exactly does the February update bring?
The usual monthly security patches. But also it turns on the separate V core chip to outside applications. So more apps will be able to use the better picture taking and enhancements. It might also bring AR to some of those apps too.

Reactions: LukinLedbetter

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Looks like my 2 XL is having charging issues. I plug it in for a while and it shows no increase in battery percentage. Have to do a reset or 3 for it to show what it's actually gone up to. And then takes a few minutes for it to show the actual date and time (keeps saying 1st Jan 8am).

It's now been plugged in for another 10 minutes and not increased at all (says rapidly charging and will take 5 hours from 47%). Will be seriously unimpressed if I have the hassle of doing a factory reset. Even more so if it needs replacing.

Not sure whether to reset now or wait until I get the security update.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Welp, my plan to sign up for YouTube TV permanantly may not work for me afterall. There is a local sports team I get on DirecTV (Nashville Predators) that I apparently do not get with my zip code on YouTube TV. Unfortunately, that's a deal breaker for me. However, the zip code two miles away (across the GA/TN border) where I work would get them.

I wonder if I can just sign up with that zip code and still use it at my house in another zip code?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Looks like my 2 XL is having charging issues. I plug it in for a while and it shows no increase in battery percentage. Have to do a reset or 3 for it to show what it's actually gone up to. And then takes a few minutes for it to show the actual date and time (keeps saying 1st Jan 8am).

It's now been plugged in for another 10 minutes and not increased at all (says rapidly charging and will take 5 hours from 47%). Will be seriously unimpressed if I have the hassle of doing a factory reset. Even more so if it needs replacing.

Not sure whether to reset now or wait until I get the security update.
I would reset first....

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Welp, my plan to sign up for YouTube TV permanantly may not work for me afterall. There is a local sports team I get on DirecTV (Nashville Predators) that I apparently do not get with my zip code on YouTube TV. Unfortunately, that's a deal breaker for me. However, the zip code two miles away (across the GA/TN border) where I work would get them.

I wonder if I can just sign up with that zip code and still use it at my house in another zip code?

you might be able to but I think YT TV uses your device location to try to match your billing zip code. It may be worth a shot though

Reactions: jamezr and Cryates

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just wondering why reset before the update? Wiping the phone is a major pain. Not like on iOS where you can simply restore with all the apps & pics in place.
It is a process of elimination. If you reset and your phone works perfectly as you would expect it to great then update.. Then after you update and it starts to have issues you can narrow it down to the update.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
It is a process of elimination. If you reset and your phone works perfectly as you would expect it to great then update.. Then after you update and it starts to have issues you can narrow it down to the update.

A bit late now, the update showed up so I did it. It does seem to charge fine, just today (and once briefly last week) it’s been showing inaccurate stats until I mess around restarting/unplugging/plugging in etc.

Not sure if it’s typical of Android or the Pixel but restoring a backup seems pointless. It’s easier to download a bunch of apps at a time (like photo & video) and put them into a folder from the home screen, rather than restore them all and spend ages searching through the app drawer for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.