Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
So I received my 3rd RMA P2XL, but kept it sealed in box because I was afraid of playing the phone lotto again. My wife was kind enough to lend me her iPhone X for a few days just to see if I'd be interested in switching back.

After 2 days, I factory reset and set it back up for her as I just couldn't forget about the Pixel. The fluidity and functions I was so used to on Android just wasn't there, and as much as I loved the X's quality and feel in hand I found I much preferred this iteration of Android and how well it worked for me in my day to day. This weekend I had both my original P2XL and X with me, and after taking some photos it is extraordinary just how incredible the photos came out with the Pixel.

So a few minutes ago just before this post, I opened up my sealed replacement P2XL and its.... a keeper. No build quality issues like my last 2 replacements and the screen is comparable to my original unit. Side by side the OLED screen on the iPhone X is definitely better, but its a difference I feel i could only tell on white/lighter colors backgrounds or comparing them side by side. So it looks like the Pixel Gods have finally blessed me this morning, and hopefully this ends my month long adventure of RMA's.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Just sent back my old Pixel 2. I am worried about the RMA/return not being taken back. I had some lag and screen issues where it didn't recognize the first tap. Apparently it is a known 8.1 issue as well. I read on Reddit that some people are not getting RMAs accepted. I returned my phone within the timeframe given. Plus I packaged it the same way they sent it back to me plus took photos and video of the device if need be. They sent me a prepaid label from USPS, which is confusing because other companies of this size normally use FedEx or UPS.

Reactions: 5105973

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Missed my Storm trooper Pixel 2 XL so......i ordered another one o_O. Should get it by wednesday

I literally have everything crossed for you.
I think you deserve a good one after all the problems you've had.

I understand why everyone keeps having pangs to go back to their Pixels, or to keep trying.
It really is a fantastic phone.

I was looking through some pictures before on my Google photos (which my iPhone X pics also sync to) and this one I took in a lower light setting having breakfast one morning at the Trafford Centre speaks volumes:

iPhone X

dPgTD7J.jpg

Pixel 2

2jx8YGs.jpg

The light in the middle is the one. The Pixel just gobbles up the photo (in a good way) and the iPhone struggles.
I still can't get over how good the camera is on Pixel.

Bass

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
UK
I have a sneaky feeling that the Pixel 2 will end up pulling you back in, Aneres11! You seem to change phones like I change underwear :)

I've had nearly a week with my Pixel 2 XL now and I'm still in love with it. For my needs it's perfect, but I also guess I was lucky to have received a good unit which I've had no issues with - unlike some of you guys here!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I have a sneaky feeling that the Pixel 2 will end up pulling you back in, Aneres11! You seem to change phones like I change underwear :)

I've had nearly a week with my Pixel 2 XL now and I'm still in love with it. For my needs it's perfect, but I also guess I was lucky to have received a good unit which I've had no issues with - unlike some of you guys here!

Lol, it's a true story.
Only recently I've been quite bad with it. I think if I'd have just stuck with the X and not been tempted I wouldn't be in these predicaments haha. My new years resolution was to reign it in. I can safely say, that 8 days in I have majorly failed that one!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Is anyone using Airpods with the Pixel 2/2 XL?

They're so seamlessly integrated within IOS that I forgot of them being a major reason why I stick with iPhones.

But i'm interested to know how they work with Google phones & what features, if any, work with non-IOS devices. Do any of the tap commands work at all - Play/Pause/Skip/Voice Assistant? Last I read none of them do...

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013

They're so seamlessly integrated within IOS that I forgot of them being a major reason why I stick with iPhones.

But i'm interested to know how they work with Google phones & what features, if any, work with non-IOS devices. Do any of the tap commands work at all - Play/Pause/Skip/Voice Assistant? Last I read none of them do...
I've been using mine and they work great. The only functionality that is retained is the double tap to pause/play. They will not provoke Google Assistant nor will they auto-pause on removing one. Connection is quick though. So long as the double tap feature is retained them I'm happy.

Reactions: Ralfi

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I couldn’t figure out how to get mine connected. My husband had his paired up to his Pixel 2 XL and said they sounded good. He’s taking a nap right now so I’ll ask him if he remembers any missing features.

I found out today there’s a strange little bug when my Pixel 2 is connected via Bluetooth to my AKG headphones (got them as part of a promotional deal for my S8+ last year). When I get an incoming phone call, the screen stays black and the only way I can see the caller ID or number is by hitting the power button. That’s no big deal to me in this case. But it’s a known issue (to add to the list) that aggravates people who use their phones in their car’s Bluetooth audio system.

I usually don’t connect my phone to my car in any way. Even for GPS now I tend to just stick the phone in this little slot on my console.

@jamezr that is great news to me as I value your contributions to these threads. I hope it works out this time. May the Porgs be with you!

A77458D3-5948-42BD-A3D8-075CEC2A1FA3.jpeg

Reactions: Ralfi and jamezr

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Well I utilized the google trade in program for my 32GB Pixel XL and was quoted $395 trade in value. They received my phone and determined it wasn't as described even though all three criteria were met (1. Factory data reset, 2. Turns on/off, no cracks in the screen). The device was mint. I took pictures and video of me FDR the phone. Even their assessment email stated I met all the criteria, yet they want to refund me less. Of course my window to return the XL 2 has come and gone because they take forever to assess the phone. I put a call into google and they escalated it up to whomever. Got an email that said it could take 2-3weeks. I've owned every nexus/pixel phone since the galaxy nexus. If this is how they want to operate then this is my last purchase from google. I'll never use another one of their phones/services again.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I couldn’t figure out how to get mine connected. My husband had his paired up to his Pixel 2 XL and said they sounded good. He’s taking a nap right now so I’ll ask him if he remembers any missing features.

I found out today there’s a strange little bug when my Pixel 2 is connected via Bluetooth to my AKG headphones (got them as part of a promotional deal for my S8+ last year). When I get an incoming phone call, the screen stays black and the only way I can see the caller ID or number is by hitting the power button. That’s no big deal to me in this case. But it’s a known issue (to add to the list) that aggravates people who use their phones in their car’s Bluetooth audio system.

I usually don’t connect my phone to my car in any way. Even for GPS now I tend to just stick the phone in this little slot on my console.
Thanks. For connecting to non-IOS devices, you need to press & hold the button on the back of the Airpods case whilst the Airpods are in the case. Depending on the device, the time it takes to pair will vary.

RE: your Bluetooth bug. A nifty feature in IOS (which I'm sure is also within Android), is 'Announce Calls', where just prior to you hearing the ring, you get an announcement telling you who's calling (whether it be a contact or "unknown caller"). This prevents you from needing to glance at your phone prior to answering.
[doublepost=1515454913][/doublepost]
I've been using mine and they work great. The only functionality that is retained is the double tap to pause/play. They will not provoke Google Assistant nor will they auto-pause on removing one. Connection is quick though. So long as the double tap feature is retained them I'm happy.
Ok cheers. & how about answering calls/call quality? Double-tap works fine for this function?

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I think i have one of the near perfect XL’s too. For people who are having buyers remorse with the pixel and you have a non issue variant. Do yourself a favor and just keep it. You’ll just be hankering for it later.
This seriously is the best Android phone I've used in a while.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Quick question to the users that had both the X and the XL 2.

How is content consumption on the XL 2? Sometimes I do get bothered by youtube videos on the X due to the black borders making the screen smaller than it really is but at the same time, I understand youtube videos will also have black bars on the pixel 2 xl.

I also know that iPhone X has a better screen (brighter, wider gamut, etc) but is it very noticeable than the pixel?
I watch a lot of youtube videos on my phone. If the pixel xl 2 is substantially better in video consumption than I'll probably stick with my order but if its the same quality or dare I say worse than the X, I rather just save the money and stick with just one phone, the iPhone.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Well I utilized the google trade in program for my 32GB Pixel XL and was quoted $395 trade in value. They received my phone and determined it wasn't as described even though all three criteria were met (1. Factory data reset, 2. Turns on/off, no cracks in the screen). The device was mint. I took pictures and video of me FDR the phone. Even their assessment email stated I met all the criteria, yet they want to refund me less. Of course my window to return the XL 2 has come and gone because they take forever to assess the phone. I put a call into google and they escalated it up to whomever. Got an email that said it could take 2-3weeks. I've owned every nexus/pixel phone since the galaxy nexus. If this is how they want to operate then this is my last purchase from google. I'll never use another one of their phones/services again.
Ok cheers. & how about answering calls/call quality? Double-tap works fine for this function?
Double tap to answer/disconnect does work.
[doublepost=1515463467][/doublepost]
Quick question to the users that had both the X and the XL 2.

How is content consumption on the XL 2? Sometimes I do get bothered by youtube videos on the X due to the black borders making the screen smaller than it really is but at the same time, I understand youtube videos will also have black bars on the pixel 2 xl.

I also know that iPhone X has a better screen (brighter, wider gamut, etc) but is it very noticeable than the pixel?
I watch a lot of youtube videos on my phone. If the pixel xl 2 is substantially better in video consumption than I'll probably stick with my order but if its the same quality or dare I say worse than the X, I rather just save the money and stick with just one phone, the iPhone.
You're definitely getting more usable screen pace. The X isn't bad for video consumption, but I definitely prefer the bigger screen on the 2XL for it. Also, on videos I will fully zoom the content so it stretches to the edges, and in that respect, the X and its notch are definitely more obstructive. The X definitely has the higher quality screen though, there's no denying that imo.

Reactions: Ralfi

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Double tap to answer/disconnect does work.
[doublepost=1515463467][/doublepost]
You're definitely getting more usable screen pace. The X isn't bad for video consumption, but I definitely prefer the bigger screen on the 2XL for it. Also, on videos I will fully zoom the content so it stretches to the edges, and in that respect, the X and its notch are definitely more obstructive. The X definitely has the higher quality screen though, there's no denying that imo.
I'm not sure of the resolution of the Pixel 2 XL, but when watching typical YouTube vids at their original aspect ratio, do you have black bars, or does the full screen mode match the 16:9 aspect ratio most videos are filmed in?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I'm not sure of the resolution of the Pixel 2 XL, but when watching typical YouTube vids at their original aspect ratio, do you have black bars, or does the full screen mode match the 16:9 aspect ratio most videos are filmed in?

Black bars on the sides. I like to zoom in as the rounded screen reminds me of the Palm Pre. (One of my all-time favs)

Reactions: Cryates

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Yeah, in their original aspect ratio I have black bars on each end. 99% of YouTube videos are going to be 16:9, and the Pixel 2XL display is 18:9 so there's going to be some clipping on each end no matter what. When I go full screen, I'm actually cropping into the top and bottom of the videos slightly, but I haven't found that cropping to disrupt any of the content really.
[doublepost=1515466921][/doublepost]I love how I don't have to be worried at all about my battery on the 2XL. I haven't finished a day with less than five hours SOT, or finished a day with less than 30% juice left.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
From the youtube reviews I saw, it seems as though the pixel xl suffers from black bars too but due to the screen being physically bigger and not having the notch, it gives a more spacious feel.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Black bars on the sides. I like to zoom in as the rounded screen reminds me of the Palm Pre. (One of my all-time favs)

Yeah, in their original aspect ratio I have black bars on each end. 99% of YouTube videos are going to be 16:9, and the Pixel 2XL display is 18:9 so there's going to be some clipping on each end no matter what. When I go full screen, I'm actually cropping into the top and bottom of the videos slightly, but I haven't found that cropping to disrupt any of the content really.
[doublepost=1515466921][/doublepost]I love how I don't have to be worried at all about my battery on the 2XL. I haven't finished a day with less than five hours SOT, or finished a day with less than 30% juice left.

From the youtube reviews I saw, it seems as though the pixel xl suffers from black bars too but due to the screen being physically bigger and not having the notch, it gives a more spacious feel.

Thanks.

Was curious to how it handled video content compared to the X.

So ideally, a bezel-free phone needs a 16:9 resolution, but then that will negatively impact its screen for all other purposes. Black bars will be around for a while then, for those who wish to watch in OAR.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Was curious to how it handled video content compared to the X.

So ideally, a bezel-free phone needs a 16:9 resolution, but then that will negatively impact its screen for all other purposes. Black bars will be around for a while then, for those who wish to watch in OAR.
The iPhone X is a 19.5:9 aspect ratio, so it actually handles full screen content even slightly worse than most new smartphones that utilize an 18:9 display fwiw, then you throw in the notch..

At any rate, it'll be interesting to see how YouTube video makers handle these new asepct ratios. Most YouTubers know their audience is consuming their content on smartphone nowdays, so will they adjust to an 18:9 shooting format?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Jeez, the promised trade in price beats the price I got for my iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB. But if they are giving you that kind of run around that sucks. I think they are contracting with a third party service for the trades, aren’t they? That may be the reason for the slow decision making and communication.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Incredible battery life with heavy usage. 4,5 onscreen time with still 64 Percent left with the smaller pİxel.

Also the speed is out of this world. It's blazing fast with everything you do!

It's such a shame I have to sell it coz of the eyestrain I've got. Will enjoy this beast as long as I have it.

Did I say the camera quality is amazing ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.