Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/13/17099184/galaxy-s9-pixel-2-camera-photo-comparison

Very impressive results here. The Pixel 2 though looks like it snaps the best shots to my eye. Warmish tone compared to the white balance of the S9, but the detail it retains and the dynamic range are remarkable. Imagine what a Pixel 3 could potentially do with a dual lens setup. Holy crap.
Yeah I could tell this from virtually every sample I've seen on the internet. The S9 is clearly very very good, but nothing touches the Pixels camera and that's why I will struggle to use anything else.

No matter what you throw at it, it always seems to give you a good result and that's not always the norm with phone cameras.

Reactions: 5105973

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Currently on March update. Doing better than the Feb. Update but still not up to before the Feb.

Pixel 2
06a9046a16128abce2695d23357143f3.jpg
70586fd5f91ee760a3c5fef26d1e9726.jpg

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Nah, we all get the recurring itch to play with different tech. I’m in the same boat regarding the Pixel 2 XL. While I use mostly Apple hardware, I also live quite predominantly in the Google ecosystem (gmail, using my Google account to sync much of my content, Google Play Music/YouTube Red subscription for the family, Nvidia Shield TV, Google WiFi, Chromecast audio and Google Home devices scattered around the house) and often think I would benefit more from using a Pixel.

However, when I stop to actually think about it, I realize that none of the issues I had during my previous Pixel XL and Pixel 2 XL ownership have changed so I’ll most likely be just as frustrated.

Still doesn’t completely curb that urge to jump back in though. ;)

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have been primarily an iPhone user for the last two years, with a little bit of Android dabbled in there, but I'm ALL Google when it comes to services. Email, Calendar, Notes, Movies, Music, Google Home, Chromecast at home, etc. I feel like it would be wise for me to switch to a Pixel or another Android device, but there's something that always keeps me away and I can't quite put my finger on it. Android is also what really got me into smartphones, but I dunno...

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have been primarily an iPhone user for the last two years, with a little bit of Android dabbled in there, but I'm ALL Google when it comes to services. Email, Calendar, Notes, Movies, Music, Google Home, Chromecast at home, etc. I feel like it would be wise for me to switch to a Pixel or another Android device, but there's something that always keeps me away and I can't quite put my finger on it. Android is also what really got me into smartphones, but I dunno...
I've both an iPhone X and the Pixel XL 2, the latter a very recent purchase. Love the XL but iPhone is my daily driver purely because most of my family and friends are on iOS and the convenience of using iMessage and things like FaceTime are too strong.

That said, I'm typing this on my Pixel

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Think I'm hankering for the smaller Pixel 2.

I like this XL, don't get me wrong. But in every day use I can't use it one handed at all. I also seem to be doing a lot of mis-taps like when I pick the phone up when it is unlocked, some app will open or I'll press on something.
It's just cumbersome for my smaller hands. Slightly too wide to, which is what makes it so tricky for me.

Also, the battery life is only slightly better than it was on my reg sized, which is a bit of a surprise.

Weirdly, I actually find the design of the smaller Pixel nicer. Even with the bezels!
I like the flat screen more and I like that it has that chamfered silver running around it which catches the light nicely.
The XL doesn't have any of those little details other than on the back around the FPS and in the 'G' logo. But I don't see the back, so it's a little lost on me.

Think I am going to swap it out for the smaller using my free 14 day exchange.
The only problem now is, over here they're offering the 128gb Pixel 2 at the same price as the 64gb - at the 64gb price.
The 'Kinda Blue' (ma fave) doesn't come in 128gb, so it would seem silly to get that when I could double my storage for the same price, just on a different colour.

I'm actually quite annoyed at my blue one messing up as I was very content. :mad:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

I like this XL, don't get me wrong. But in every day use I can't use it one handed at all. I also seem to be doing a lot of mis-taps like when I pick the phone up when it is unlocked, some app will open or I'll press on something.
It's just cumbersome for my smaller hands. Slightly too wide to, which is what makes it so tricky for me.

Also, the battery life is only slightly better than it was on my reg sized, which is a bit of a surprise.

Weirdly, I actually find the design of the smaller Pixel nicer. Even with the bezels!
I like the flat screen more and I like that it has that chamfered silver running around it which catches the light nicely.
The XL doesn't have any of those little details other than on the back around the FPS and in the 'G' logo. But I don't see the back, so it's a little lost on me.

The only problem now is, over here they're offering the 128gb Pixel 2 at the same price as the 64gb - at the 64gb price.
The 'Kinda Blue' (ma fave) doesn't come in 128gb, so it would seem silly to get that when I could double my storage for the same price, just on a different colour.

I'm actually quite annoyed at my blue one messing up as I was very content. :mad:

Interesting development! I too can’t decide between the two! I’m actually miss bezels a bit having the iPhone X. Sometimes it’s nice having some spots on the screen that you can hold without triggering accidental touches.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012

The blue looks awesome but I think I'd go with the storage for the same price

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Just about everything I use in the Google ecosystem actually has terrific support on iOS, usually on par with their Android counterparts and in a select few cases it’s even better. Consequently, I don’t feel like I’m sacrificing too much using Google services on iOS. Couple that with the many elements that I prefer either on the iPhone or in the Apple ecosystem and I actually feel like I’d be compromising too much leaving the iPhone.

All that being said, I still feel that little pang in the back of my mind telling me to just give in and get another gadget to play with. :p

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The blue looks awesome but I think I'd go with the storage for the same price

Interesting development! I too can’t decide between the two! I’m actually miss bezels a bit having the iPhone X. Sometimes it’s nice having some spots on the screen that you can hold without triggering accidental touches.

Yeah it's a tricky one. I think I'm going to at least give the XL a few more dasy as I'm in no rush really.

It's still the same phone just slightly bigger and I may just not be fully used to it yet.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Oh hey guess what.

My 2 XL is boiling hot and the battery is draining fast!

oIvcksv.png

I am beyond THRILLED.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Question for you all. There is a pixel XL for sale on craigslist in my area for $650. Pretty good deal. But the owner has had it since launch. If let’s say something goes wrong with it will Google honor the warranty and replace it?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Did you ever deal with this on the regular pixel?

Yeah, that's why I ended up returning it and then trying this XL. :(

I wonder if an app is causing this?

I had thought about this but I'm using all the same apps as when I had the original Pixel 2 in January and had zero problems until that Feb update.
The only apps I added to my smaller device were wallpaper apps like Zedge, but I uninstalled all of them to check if they were a problem.

When I factory reset my smaller Pixel 2, I didn't restore from back up and didn't download any apps other than the usual ones I've always had and it still drained and got hot.

Same thing with this 2 XL. Setup from new and downloaded the same set of apps and now having the same problems.

When I check what apps are using the battery, they're all seemingly using up a percentage of battery that I'd expect really, with no one app taking a huge portion which makes me think there's a problem with it.
I just don't know what to do now. Genuinely annoyed at this constantly happening, even on a different device.
I can't keep going through them but I don't want anything else.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Yeah, that's why I ended up returning it and then trying this XL. :(

I had thought about this but I'm using all the same apps as when I had the original Pixel 2 in January and had zero problems until that Feb update.
The only apps I added to my smaller device were wallpaper apps like Zedge, but I uninstalled all of them to check if they were a problem.

When I factory reset my smaller Pixel 2, I didn't restore from back up and didn't download any apps other than the usual ones I've always had and it still drained and got hot.

Same thing with this 2 XL. Setup from new and downloaded the same set of apps and now having the same problems.

When I check what apps are using the battery, they're all seemingly using up a percentage of battery that I'd expect really, with no one app taking a huge portion which makes me think there's a problem with it.
I just don't know what to do now. Genuinely annoyed at this constantly happening, even on a different device.
I can't keep going through them but I don't want anything else.

Sorry to hear this. I’m very surprised that it has happened on two different devices. What about your environment? Did these phones end up in really hot or cold places? Can you install 1 app at a time to see if it could be a particular one? I know that’s a pain.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Sorry to hear this. I’m very surprised that it has happened on two different devices. What about your environment? Did these phones end up in really hot or cold places? Can you install 1 app at a time to see if it could be a particular one? I know that’s a pain.

Thanks man :).

And nope, not too hot or cold. We had a cold snap last week but the phone never went outside unless it was in my pocket and that was only to walk to the canteen in work or to my car and back.

And as much as it would be a good idea to do that one app at a time, I am absolutely not going through that!

I think I'm going to return it when I can get to the store and then look at something else. Don't really want any other device but I'm a bit fed up of it all now.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks man :).

And nope, not too hot or cold. We had a cold snap last week but the phone never went outside unless it was in my pocket and that was only to walk to the canteen in work or to my car and back.

And as much as it would be a good idea to do that one app at a time, I am absolutely not going through that!

I think I'm going to return it when I can get to the store and then look at something else. Don't really want any other device but I'm a bit fed up of it all now.
What a shame. I wonder what happened that the update could have caused such a thing for you. There was a woman on this forum I bumped into during a random discussion of how apps can run rogue on Android. She and I both had experience with an app on both iOS and Android. On the Android phone the app kept running in the background and caused the battery to run down and the phone to heat up. It was an app to control the sphero BB-8 robot toy. It ran fine on iOS. iOS is good about keeping apps from doing that.

Oh, a fun app that I always ran on iOS did the same on my Note 7. It was Neko Atsume. It made my first Note 7 build up in heat so bad that I thought it would burn up. And that was before we knew about exploding Notes. It was the damn app.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
On the Android phone the app kept running in the background and caused the battery to run down and the phone to heat up. It was an app to control the sphero BB-8 robot toy. It ran fine on iOS. iOS is good about keeping apps from doing that.

Just deleted the Sphero Mini app from my Pixel and going to see if I can get some battery life out of it based off this.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Pixel 2 XL is on the truck for delivery! You guys wish me luck. I’ve never been able to stick with Android for more than a week or so.

Wish I was in your boat too! I need to sell my iPhone X first but for some reason it’s taking forever to sell.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
If I keep the XL I’ll be listing my X for sale on Swappa. Is that what you used?

It should sell well on swappa for sure. That’s what I’m using as well! The only reason mine hasn’t sold well is because I’ve only used the marketplace here and Craigslist. Partly because I wasn’t 100% sure I wanted to switch. Man, no one uses the marketplace here anymore now though!

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Just spent with taxes approx. $250 on a screen replacement, my daughter accidentally dropped the phone cracking the screen a few weeks ago.

Went to UbreakiFixiT, dropped off phone picked up couple hours later, phone feels brand new again :)

Still say this is the best smartphone available as of March 2018. No other phone I'd rather have, except the Pixel 3 :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.