Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Well it's really only the one guy having the problem, seems like everyone else on here is enjoying their Pixel without problems.

Hopefully this one works out for him, third times a charm lol

Nope... Several posts here from others with varying issues with their devices. I've had burn in and charging issues with my previous device. This one I'm using now seems to have touch response issues along the sides. Probably software though.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I've never heard of this issue at all, except the one forum member here. I'm on XDA and the [H], two big tech sites with tons of real Pixel 2 XL owners, and I read these sites daily, and never heard anyone else with this heating issue.

Not saying it's not real, I'm sure it is for this one gentleman, but every single smartphone has a tiny % of legit issues. The iPhone X does, the Galaxy S8 does, etc...

I've owned 20 different smartphones over the last decade and will say the pixel 2 XL is hands-down my favorite smartphone ever to date

I’m not trying to say that no other smartphones have issues. I’m saying I’ve heard about more issues with the Pozdl 2/XL than I have with most Galaxy phones or iPhones or Moto phones. And yet the same people that seem to be having all the issues act like “stock Android” is enough to say it’s the best.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I’m not trying to say that no other smartphones have issues. I’m saying I’ve heard about more issues with the Pozdl 2/XL than I have with most Galaxy phones or iPhones or Moto phones. And yet the same people that seem to be having all the issues act like “stock Android” is enough to say it’s the best.

I understand. Only well known issue I am aware of and heard a lot about is the display, with the blue tint, that's a known issue for sure, and a serious question if buying the Pixel 2XL. other than that, I honestly have not heard much at all about these other issues on the two big tech sites I visit daily.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I understand. Only well known issue I am aware of and heard a lot about is the display, with the blue tint, that's a known issue for sure, and a serious question if buying the Pixel 2XL. other than that, I honestly have not heard much at all about these other issues on the two big tech sites I visit daily.

> Blue tint
> Burn in
> Terrible battery life almost all of February
> Hot Phone all of February
> Random buzzing sound early on in the smaller Pixel

Those are just off the top of my head.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yeah I will say that the one thing holding me back from switching from the iPhone X to the Pixel, other than the Apple ecosystem, is the hardware. Google hasn’t quite mastered that the way Apple and Samsung have and that worries me a bit.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah I will say that the one thing holding me back from switching from the iPhone X to the Pixel, other than the Apple ecosystem, is the hardware. Google hasn’t quite mastered that the way Apple and Samsung have and that worries me a bit.

On the plus side, most of the world doesn’t have to worry about it because they can’t buy a Pixel anyway.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
The niche apps are not the issue really, it's the restoring of android backups which may be corrupted which turns many phone's unusable.

Starting affresh is the key.

Yeah I've done that 3 or 4 times and this time with a totally different account from scratch. If you read my previous posts over the last two pages you'll see I've effectively tried everything :).
Cheers though.
[doublepost=1521189263][/doublepost]
I've never heard of this issue at all, except the one forum member here. I'm on XDA and the [H], two big tech sites with tons of real Pixel 2 XL owners, and I read these sites daily, and never heard anyone else with this heating issue.

Not saying it's not real, I'm sure it is for this one gentleman, but every single smartphone has a tiny % of legit issues. The iPhone X does, the Galaxy S8 does, etc...

I've owned 20 different smartphones over the last decade and will say the pixel 2 XL is hands-down my favorite smartphone ever to date

You've never know anyone else have the issue?
When I tweeted Google about my issues they gave me the link to a forum and told me to join the discussion there about it.

And that they were aware of issues and we're looking into it.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/16/google-pixel-2-warming-shortened-battery-life/

Most people were, to my knowledge, aware of some users experiencing this problem.
Great for you that you haven't though. :)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Did you buy it from Google or Verizon? If you bought from Google and it came with a Verizon sim... It's Verizon.

Also you oem unlocking toggle will be greyed out

I got it on eBay. The seller said it cannot work with Verizon or Sprint.
[doublepost=1521227343][/doublepost]
Did you buy it from Google or Verizon? If you bought from Google and it came with a Verizon sim... It's Verizon.

Also you oem unlocking toggle will be greyed out

OEM toggle unlocking is greyed out. Does that mean I won't get software updates as quick as the Google edition?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
That's weird. Both versions, unlocked or Verizon, should work with all carriers.

Unless it's been blacklisted by those carriers....

@nviz22

The device should support all major us carrier bands. I'd call Verizon or use their IMEI tool to check. Should be in the BYOD area of the site

It sounds like it's a carrier device and not unlocked.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That's weird. Both versions, unlocked or Verizon, should work with all carriers.

I just checked on Verizon's website and it says the phone works with them.
[doublepost=1521231112][/doublepost]
Unless it's been blacklisted by those carriers....

@nviz22

The device should support all major us carrier bands. I'd call Verizon or use their IMEI tool to check. Should be in the BYOD area of the site

It sounds like it's a carrier device and not unlocked.

Just used their IMEI tool to check. Says I was eligible. But now I am worried about the update timing because I rather not go through a Pixel with not getting timely updates. Defeats the purpose.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth

Just used their IMEI tool to check. Says I was eligible. But now I am worried about the update timing because I rather not go through a Pixel with not getting timely updates. Defeats the purpose.

You'll get updates. Might not be day 1 but you should get timely updates. Not sure if Verizon does the push out or Google.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You'll get updates. Might not be day 1 but you should get timely updates. Not sure if Verizon does the push out or Google.

Not a lot of phones get it say 1, not even unlocked Pixels. I think you can spam “check updates” in Services Beta?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

You can still always sideload the OTA if you don't want to wait on Verizon. I do that even with my Google unlocked one.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
You can still always sideload the OTA if you don't want to wait on Verizon. I do that even with my Google unlocked one.

Wait, I am at Verizon's mercy? That is disappointing. The unit I bought feels like a refurb when I paid for a "new other" eBay listed device.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
> Blue tint
> Burn in
> Terrible battery life almost all of February
> Hot Phone all of February
> Random buzzing sound early on in the smaller Pixel

Those are just off the top of my head.
You missed flashing screens. Most issues are tied to the XL. LG is terrible. My opinion of course.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Wait, I am at Verizon's mercy? That is disappointing. The unit I bought feels like a refurb when I paid for a "new other" eBay listed device.

Err... Not really. You are only at "Verizons mercy" if you want to root your device or go to a different carrier. Though I'm not sure on the last part.

You'll get updates.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Does Gboard act screwy for anyone else here? Like when you are typing out something and the suggested words pop up and you touch it to select (or finish what you are typing) and the result is mangled or garbled?

Like you'll type out Verizon for example and it's in the suggested words list and you select it and it give you something like "Ververy ion" even though Verizon is proper in the list?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Err... Not really. You are only at "Verizons mercy" if you want to root your device or go to a different carrier. Though I'm not sure on the last part.

You'll get updates.

Oh, I am on T-Mobile right now and my phone makes calls just fine. No interest in rooting my device.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Listen people. This just can't be right . I just got over 15 hours on a single charge. With over 7 hours and 15 minutes of screen on time!!! What!?! What magic has Google done since I last had an Android phone. Wow!
Screenshot_20180316-225744.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.