Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just deleted the Sphero Mini app from my Pixel and going to see if I can get some battery life out of it based off this.
I hope that helps but this conversation I had was around the Christmas of 2016 so much may have changed since then. I’m not sure if the app has been updated since then. I moved phones and didn’t reinstall it to either iOS or Android.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Potentially returning the XL tonight. If not tomorrow.
I may pick up the smaller 2 again for one last try. If I get no joy I'm going to go for a Nokia 8 I think.

The XL battery has been behaving today. Not as much drain and no heat. Still going back though.

Question: do you lot think it could someway be tied to my Google log in I set the phone up with?

Reactions: jamezr

LukinLedbetter

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I’d still venture a guess that it’s a rogue app. One of the things I do on my apps is shut off background data usage for all but a couple of apps. That, plus I disable background battery usage on all but a few as well. I don’t need Instagram or Reddit updating constantly in the background on my phone, for example. That seems to keep most my apps in check and gives me very consistent battery performance, which I value.
[doublepost=1521128233][/doublepost]Got the new Pixel 2 set up last night. Did it from a backup of my P2XL so I wouldn’t have to put too much work into it.

So far, really loving the size and it’s remarkable how much better the screen on the smaller 2 is than the bigger 2XL. The quality of the AMOLED panel by Samsung is just superior to that of LG and there’s now way around it. Colors look really good on Boosted mode, and surprisingly not to garish on Saturated mode. I don’t care for what the Saturated mode looks like on the 2XL at all.

I’ll use it through the weekend and make a decision on keeping it or going back to the 2XL. At this point though, I’m leaning towards the smaller iteration.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah agreed re the screen. I turned saturated mode on straight away on my XL and have recently turned it back to boosted which I much prefer.

It's funny / annoying how I am now really starting to get used to the size of the XL and enjoying it haha. I am such a mess at the moment. Send. Help.
And a Pixel without a problem.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Nothing on my screen.
Don't really like them if i'm honest but if I could find a decent one I'd try it out.

@LukinLedbetter meant to ask - what colour is your XL and your Smaller 2?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Curious do you all use tempered glass screen protectors? Or any type of screen protector? Or do you have nothing over your screen?

I’m wondering the same. I’m going without insurance so a screen protector would be a good investment I think. I’ll research them if I decide to keep it.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I may pick up the smaller 2 again for one last try. If I get no joy I'm going to go for a Nokia 8 I think.

The XL battery has been behaving today. Not as much drain and no heat. Still going back though.

Question: do you lot think it could someway be tied to my Google log in I set the phone up with?

Curious to see if there may be a radio / service (carrier) issue. I've known some Nexus pixel devices really wreck the battery if the frequency and signal is kind of not perfect. Maybe your sim card is going junk as well.

Not sure what your carrier is, but maybe they could check your sim card remotely?

Maybe the local tower is down?

Twi different phones same problem kind of makes me wonder?

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Curious to see if there may be a radio / service (carrier) issue. I've known some Nexus pixel devices really wreck the battery if the frequency and signal is kind of not perfect. Maybe your sim card is going junk as well.

Not sure what your carrier is, but maybe they could check your sim card remotely?

Maybe the local tower is down?

Twi different phones same problem kind of makes me wonder?

Now that is interesting.
Had a text from Vodafone a few weeks back saying that Vodafone services were likely to be affected as they did some work in the area. I haven't noticed anything, but I am always connected to Wi-Fi so wouldn't really see.

Although with my issues only happening since the Feb update and others experiencing the same issue, I wouldn't imagine they would be related?

Reactions: jamezr

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Now that is interesting.
Had a text from Vodafone a few weeks back saying that Vodafone services were likely to be affected as they did some work in the area. I haven't noticed anything, but I am always connected to Wi-Fi so wouldn't really see.

Although with my issues only happening since the Feb update and others experiencing the same issue, I wouldn't imagine they would be related?

Like others here, I feel like something else may be going on, or you are extremely unlucky with these pixels. My P2XL has run like a champ for months, never once heated up nor experienced bad battery issues. But definitely worth trying out another one if you can't isolate the issue.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Like others here, I feel like something else may be going on, or you are extremely unlucky with these pixels. My P2XL has run like a champ for months, never once heated up nor experienced bad battery issues. But definitely worth trying out another one if you can't isolate the issue.

Yeah it's very bizarre.
That's why I was thinking of getting another replacement and then adding a different Google account to set it up rather than my usual one.
Just to see how that goes.

If I return it later then I'll give that a go.

Never experienced anything like this from a device before. Apart from my BB Priv, but that only got hot due to the processor which was renowned for it under heavy loads.

Last throw of the dice for the Pixel now anyway.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Also check your network strength, it should give you a graph for the day I think, wifi and cell. I'm thinking while yeah the phone may support your carrier bands it might not for all of them... Or maybe the network is limiting something on their end since the phone is not really through them.

Could explain a warm phone and draining battery, I'm not sure it'd go boiling hot.

Does it charge really really slow?

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I have returned from the store and have returned the XL and am now the owner of Pixel 2 number 74. :D :p

This is seriously the last one and if it's no joy, I'm out.

Opted for the smaller one which I immediately knew was the right decision the minute I got it out of the box. I just much much prefer this design.

Went for the white so @GrumpyMom we are snowball twins once more. :D
I wanted the blue ideally, but with the UK having a SWEET ASS deal on currently on the smaller model (128gb for the price of 64gb) it was silly turning it down.
£559 for 128gb Pixel 2 is really good value for the quality of this device IMO.

So i've set up with a different account and it got very hot on set up, but I am not taking that as anything as that always happens with new phone set ups.
Since it's all been set up it has cooled down and is running nicely at the moment.

WISH ME LUCK GUYS! I really want this one to work out as I love this phone.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017

Full reset the phone. Do not restore any back ups.
Run with stock apps for a few days.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Full reset the phone. Do not restore any back ups.
Run with stock apps for a few days.

Thanks. I've done the majority of that already.
And the app thing others have suggested and I appreciate the thought but I really don't want to have to do it.
I just don't feel like I should have to. It's a phone that should run these apps - none of the apps I'm installing are small independent cheap apps, they're in the millions for how many times they've been downloaded, so I'd like to think they'd run ok and not cause issues.

I'll see how the next few days go with this new one. :)

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I have returned from the store and have returned the XL and am now the owner of Pixel 2 number 74. :D :p

This is seriously the last one and if it's no joy, I'm out.

Opted for the smaller one which I immediately knew was the right decision the minute I got it out of the box. I just much much prefer this design.

Went for the white so @GrumpyMom we are snowball twins once more. :D
I wanted the blue ideally, but with the UK having a SWEET ASS deal on currently on the smaller model (128gb for the price of 64gb) it was silly turning it down.
£559 for 128gb Pixel 2 is really good value for the quality of this device IMO.

So i've set up with a different account and it got very hot on set up, but I am not taking that as anything as that always happens with new phone set ups.
Since it's all been set up it has cooled down and is running nicely at the moment.

WISH ME LUCK GUYS! I really want this one to work out as I love this phone.

SO the smaller form factor won you over again!

Do the bezels bug you after having close to zero bezels on the XL?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
SO the smaller form factor won you over again!

Do the bezels bug you after having close to zero bezels on the XL?

Yup, the smaller one is where it's at for me.

The problem I had with the bigger one is the width more than anything. It's just a bit too wide (for me) for comfortable use. I also really don't like rounded screen corners. The smaller one is easier to hold, I like the flat sides and the squared off screen, and the bezels just add to the ease of use (less random screen touches opening apps etc). Although bear in mind, this is just from my perspective as others will use the XL with absolutely no issues if they have bigger hands and like bigger phones!

I moved from the iPhone X to the Pixel 2 so I went from virtually no bezels, to bezels and that took a while to adjust tbh, but evenutally dat smooth smooth Android experience won me over. :D

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Thanks. I've done the majority of that already.
And the app thing others have suggested and I appreciate the thought but I really don't want to have to do it.
I just don't feel like I should have to. It's a phone that should run these apps - none of the apps I'm installing are small independent cheap apps, they're in the millions for how many times they've been downloaded, so I'd like to think they'd run ok and not cause issues.

I'll see how the next few days go with this new one. :)

The niche apps are not the issue really, it's the restoring of android backups which may be corrupted which turns many phone's unusable.

Starting affresh is the key.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Reading everyone here troubleshoot why the Pixel phone is hot and has bad battery kind of makes me think the Pixel isn’t ready for prime time.

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Well it's really only the one guy having the problem, seems like everyone else on here is enjoying their Pixel without problems.

Hopefully this one works out for him, third times a charm lol

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Reading everyone here troubleshoot why the Pixel phone is hot and has bad battery kind of makes me think the Pixel isn’t ready for prime time.

I've never heard of this issue at all, except the one forum member here. I'm on XDA and the [H], two big tech sites with tons of real Pixel 2 XL owners, and I read these sites daily, and never heard anyone else with this heating issue.

Not saying it's not real, I'm sure it is for this one gentleman, but every single smartphone has a tiny % of legit issues. The iPhone X does, the Galaxy S8 does, etc...

I've owned 20 different smartphones over the last decade and will say the pixel 2 XL is hands-down my favorite smartphone ever to date

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.