Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
so 1 mbp= all the mbp are with problems???!?!! or this guy works for microsoft marketing?
[doublepost=1479314069][/doublepost]i wonder if anyone can answer this: a lot of MBP with 650M,750M and R9 M370X are broken because dGPU?

The dGPUs have been hit-or-miss, but only a few were really lemons. nVidia 8600 series from 2008-2010 and AMD 6700/6400 series from 2011 were the most notable lemons.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I'm actually worried if the new SSD's which are now soldered on, are more likely to fail, as I believe this is the first time they are soldering them on? (Or did the also solder them on the 12"?)

hemanth

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
West Lafayette
oh yea? whats the issue with yours?

Mine had some malfunctioning keys on the keyboard. And some random ticks from the speakers during the booting, and normal use.

And, I was seeing graphics glitches during boot - similar to yours, but it seems its because of disk encryption ( https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-2016-15-booting-issue.2015338 ). Once I turned it off, they didn't occur. One user in that thread gave a decent explanation as to why it can occur. So

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Mine had some malfunctioning keys on the keyboard. And some random ticks from the speakers during the booting, and normal use.

And, I was seeing graphics glitches during boot - similar to yours, but it seems its because of disk encryption ( https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-2016-15-booting-issue.2015338 ). Once I turned it off, they didn't occur. One user in that thread gave a decent explanation as to why it can occur. So

I will let you know what they say - I am going to try and replicate the issue tonight.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Looks exactly like what happened with my 2012 and 15 models. It's because of how the graphics card is attached into the motherboard via soldering. Theyll keep replacing the parts, but you'll keep getting this.

I somehow knew Apple wouldn't fix this issue for these laptops. If you guys still order these after something like this, you're absolutely blind.

The classic failure mechanism of the MBP`s dGPU is related to thermal shock, as Apple in general opts to run consumer grade components as close to their upper limit as possible. This in general takes several years to rise it`s head resulting in premature failure of the dGPU. As for the longevity of the 2016`s dGPU we will see in time. The only real early indicator is operating temperatures; if Apple`s 2016 design can keep the dGPU below 80C - 85C under load it will be a good indication that Apple is looking to improve reliability.

This case is more likely to related to a production error, one of the risks of being an early adopter; new hardware, new processes, new assembly technicians etc.

Q-6

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Major Graphic Issue with new 15" BTO MacBook Pro with Radeon 460 4GB VRAM. When I change desktops using the gesture on the trackpad, graphical issues occur, this is with graphic switching toggled both on and off. Anyone else? Literally just got it today :(

View attachment 672664 View attachment 672665

I started seeing something similar just before my dGPU died on my 2012 rMBP. Sorry to say, but you should really return and get another one.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
That makes more sense if you had it for some time. If the install is already corrupt in some way, that's also a sign of hardware/driver problems.

Have you seen a single example of this? It regulates speaker volume, the order in which device locations are checked at boot time, and a couple other things. It has nothing to do with the gpu. It's also extraordinarily unlikely that NVRAM was corrupted on a new machine. Assuming it's not a hardware problem, the most likely cause would be an issue with graphics switching. If that is the case, we'll see an update in the very near future. Otherwise it's most likely just bad luck on hardware.

Again, you would be crazy not to try a slew of extremely easy troubleshooting steps before having to send the thing out and wait.

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I'm actually worried if the new SSD's which are now soldered on, are more likely to fail, as I believe this is the first time they are soldering them on? (Or did the also solder them on the 12"?)

The storage in the 12" MacBooks is soldered in as well.

Its not just the SSD that you have to worry about. Any failure of any component on the logic board will result in the loss of data stored on the SSD when the logic board is replaced. Backups are critical with these new MacBooks with storage that is not removable.

Reactions: xmonkey and Queen6

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
The storage in the 12" MacBooks is soldered in as well.

Its not just the SSD that you have to worry about. Any failure of any component on the logic board will result in the loss of data stored on the SSD when the logic board is replaced. Backups are critical with these new MacBooks with storage that is not removable.

Most definitely

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.