Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Again, you would be crazy not to try a slew of extremely easy troubleshooting steps before having to send the thing out and wait.

You know there was an old show called Happy Days where this guy would wack that era's version of a giant mp3 player to make it work. This is roughly equivalent to what you are suggesting. That's not a general troubleshooting tactic. It solves certain things. If your machine's volume is screwed up or it's looking for your boot drive in the wrong folder, this might help. I guess it might cause kernel panics if it becomes corrupt, but there aren't any ties to graphical problems. Even if it appears to be working afterward, you haven't solved anything. It may not reappear immediately, because you just rebooted. That is however a false sense of hope, and it's likely to lead someone to even greater frustration when they realize the problem is back.

JanInLA

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2016
Okay this is a common thing now.
I put my new MBP to work right away and edited a project in Premiere Pro.
When I used the Adobe Media Encoder the graphics card freaked out and computer crashed.
I went to the Apple Store and they said it's probably a hardware problem.
So I ordered a new one.
I kept the MPB I have now because when I switched over to FCPX everything seems to be working fine.
But the technician said I shouldn't trust it after I showed him the video of it freaking out. I have the Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

Reactions: jimthing

emailnotebox

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Looks exactly like what happened with my 2012 and 15 models. It's because of how the graphics card is attached into the motherboard via soldering. Theyll keep replacing the parts, but you'll keep getting this.

I somehow knew Apple wouldn't fix this issue for these laptops. If you guys still order these after something like this, you're absolutely blind.

Out of curiosity, why does soldering gpu to motherboard cause gpu failures?

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
When I used the Adobe Media Encoder the graphics card freaked out and computer crashed.
So I ordered a new one.
I kept the MPB I have now because when I switched over to FCPX everything seems to be working fine.
But the technician said I shouldn't trust it after I showed him the video of it freaking out. I have the Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

damn

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
You know there was an old show called Happy Days where this guy would wack that era's version of a giant mp3 player to make it work. This is roughly equivalent to what you are suggesting. That's not a general troubleshooting tactic. It solves certain things. If your machine's volume is screwed up or it's looking for your boot drive in the wrong folder, this might help. I guess it might cause kernel panics if it becomes corrupt, but there aren't any ties to graphical problems. Even if it appears to be working afterward, you haven't solved anything. It may not reappear immediately, because you just rebooted. That is however a false sense of hope, and it's likely to lead someone to even greater frustration when they realize the problem is back.

Cool dude, it takes seconds to run through the gamut of common troubleshooting steps. Restart, reset PRAM/NVRAM, command line permissions repair, whatever.

Are you suggesting that I am making the situation worse by asking to go through less than five minutes of basic troubleshooting? Absolutely insane.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Cool dude, it takes seconds to run through the gamut of common troubleshooting steps. Restart, reset PRAM/NVRAM, command line permissions repair, whatever.

Are you suggesting that I am making the situation worse by asking to go through less than five minutes of basic troubleshooting? Absolutely insane.

No. You could read what I actually said. Sometimes hardware that's on its way out will briefly appear to work when it's reinitialized, like after a reboot. It won't hurt anything, but it may give someone a false sense of hope yet it can't solve graphics problems.

Has there ever been a MacBook Pro (with dGPU) without GPUgate?

The 750m didn't come up a lot. I don't know about last year's model. It may be too soon to tell. I won't touch another Apple laptop with discrete graphics.

Last edited:
Reactions: David58117

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
So I ordered a new one.

So Apple is letting you keep the old 2016 until the new one arrives?

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
Is there anybody here, that doesnt experience these issues and can just use the gpu without issue, even under heavy load?

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Yeah would be interesting to know if the problem also occurs when you force the dGPU all the time. Does gfxCardStatus work with the new MacBooks?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
The whole soldering everything and prices increases and irrepairability point to Apple trying to get you used to a subscription contract model. You pay monthly and if your system fails they replace the whole machine if you are still under contract. $1200 = one year. $3600 = three years.

Reactions: idunn

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
The whole soldering everything and prices increases and irrepairability point to Apple trying to get you used to a subscription contract model. You pay monthly and if your system fails they replace the whole machine if you are still under contract. $1200 = one year. $3600 = three years.

You need meditation.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
how can we promote this problem to be posted on Mac rumours news and Apple see this?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
His idea is not that silly.
Did not Apple launch such a plan for iphones recently?
I would agree with such a plan as long as they don't ship faulty computers. It's better than buying something outright and then finding out that your soldered SSD has gone faulty just after the warranty ran out. With a subscription plan your machine gets replaced for as long as your remain on the plan. Every time the contract runs out you start a new one with a new computer and you can sell the old one or they give your trade in value.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Anyone else find it slightly perturbing that the only new mac apple have introduced in ages under timmy's tenure seems to be a bit of an under engineered poorly designed lemon ?

WTF have they been doing the last few years ??

First that crappy black lg monitor , now this...

Has Jony Ive left the building ?!? Have Apple lost all their creatives and engineers ??

Reactions: Nik and idunn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.