Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanDaneshvar

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2016
I'm not sure if mine is related to OP's problem, but on bootup after logging in I get a flicker at the bottom of the screen. Just got this yesterday 15" tb 2.7/16/512/455. Did hardware diagnostics at an Apple Genius Bar and restored the OS and it still happens only on log in. Anyone else have this?
I do my friend 15" 2.6 MHz 460 4GB, custom, first batch
I'm exchanging it but I had a voicemail from a Mac senior advisor at AppleCare and we gonna talk to each other tomorrow (Friday)

Reactions: Pencilnink

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
Man....op is still at the Apple Store? Closed hours ago....unless.....Jonny Ive's secret dgpu damage control team wisked him off to his white room of pain....

Reactions: Queen6

IndigoDesign

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
I'm sorry to say that, but Apple should have really went for integrated GPU on ALL pro models AND offer a reasonably priced (lol, peed myself there a little) GPU-enclosure or kind of dock for when at home/workplace you have all the performance you need. You could plan, develop and create your projects on the go, finish them up, render, export them at home with GPU oomph.

Reactions: Daniewww and idunn

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
Can you guys list the GPU if you have any problems? So far it seems only the Radeon Pro 460 has these errors?

If so it might still be a software bug that is related to for example addressing the 4GB vRam which is only in the 460. Thanks!

agent7

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
I'm exchanging it but I had a voicemail from a Mac senior advisor at AppleCare and we gonna talk to each other tomorrow (Friday)[/QUOTE
I'm exchanging it but I had a voicemail from a Mac senior advisor at AppleCare and we gonna talk to each other tomorrow (Friday)

I'm experiencing the same exact problem. Right after I enter my password to log into my user account, the bottom 1/4th of my screen, glitches as the computer is starting up. It then seems fine, performance wise. Not good. I'm taking mine in to the Apple Store tomorrow. So disappointed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with them?

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

We should really merge two threads dealing with this, but here is my post from another thread:

"I read your previous post and this one. Thanks for the insight.

I had spoken with a good friend who is well aquatinted with macs and he too believed it might be a firmware issue and not a hardware one. I truly hope that is the truth.

So, in theory, a software update would resolve/fix the issue?

As I mentioned in previous posts, I spoke to Apple support yesterday and was immediately moved to a senior advisor who exchanged some emails with engineers. At first, they had believed it was hardware related and approved a replacement. However, even though that offer is still on the table, the engineers asked the senior advisor for a video of the occurrence and had then saidsuggested it might be a software issue. I haven't heard anything since I submitted the videos."

agent7

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
We should really merge two threads dealing with this, but here is my post from another thread:

"I read your previous post and this one. Thanks for the insight.

I had spoken with a good friend who is well aquatinted with macs and he too believed it might be a firmware issue and not a hardware one. I truly hope that is the truth.

So, in theory, a software update would resolve/fix the issue?

As I mentioned in previous posts, I spoke to Apple support yesterday and was immediately moved to a senior advisor who exchanged some emails with engineers. At first, they had believed it was hardware related and approved a replacement. However, even though that offer is still on the table, the engineers asked the senior advisor for a video of the occurrence and had then saidsuggested it might be a software issue. I haven't heard anything since I submitted the videos."
Seems like we had a very similar day. I too spoke with an adviser, who had me reset the PRAM and when that didn't work, he transferred me to a senior adviser who also asked for a video. We exchanged phone calls and they set me up with an appointment tomorrow at the Apple Store. Having waited so long to finally get the machine, I'm not looking forward to what my options will be. Repair vs Replace. I'm not certain what the best course of action is. Bummed. Big Time.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Seems like we had a very similar day. I too spoke with an adviser, who had me reset the PRAM and when that didn't work, he transferred me to a senior adviser who also asked for a video. We exchanged phone calls and they set me up with an appointment tomorrow at the Apple Store. Having waited so long to finally get the machine, I'm not looking forward to what my options will be. Repair vs Replace. I'm not certain what the best course of action is. Bummed. Big Time.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Honestly, if all Mbps are doing this, which we have seen thus far, then I cannot imagine it is a hardware issue.

MR needs to post this on the front page, though.

Reactions: supermars

agent7

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
Yeah, I feel your pain. Honestly, if all Mbps are doing this, which we have seen thus far, then I cannot imagine it is a hardware issue.

MR needs to post this on the front page, though.
I'm new to MR and forums in general, not sure how to get the proper attention this matter deserves. I'm hoping that we make enough noise that Apple will hear us. I appreciate your insight and feedback. I hope you resolve your issue as painfree as possible. Let's stay looped in and keep people updated about our progress or sad to say, lack thereof.

Reactions: Mike84

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
I'm getting nervous now reading this thread. My 15" with the 460 is due to arrive in about 3 weeks. I'm wondering if I should cancel or get AppleCare. I don't really want to pay 3-400 francs more for an extra year of warranty, considering how much this laptop costs to begin with.

Good they have the time to publish $300 picture books.

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
any issues with the graphics cards in the standard configuration the radeon 450 or 455?

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
any issues with the graphics cards in the standard configuration the radeon 450 or 455?

Yes, I believe some with the 455 have reported issues. I think most, even with the Intel Iris graphics have had the flicker when logging in.

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Yes, I believe some with the 455 have reported issues. I think most, even with the Intel Iris graphics have had the flicker when logging in.

so this only effects the 15inch MacBook pro with redeaon graphics not the 13 inch?

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
so this only effects the 15inch MacBook pro with redeaon graphics not the 13 inch?

No, 13 as well since I mentioned the Intel Iris graphics and those don't have a dGPU. However, it depends what issue you are talking about. The flickering at logging in issue is seen, I think, across the board. The screen freaking out during heavy lifting may be limited to 15inch pros, but those may have an issue with the dGPU and may not be a software issue.

mercedes27

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
Why is there such a hysteria. This can happen to all products in the world. Just return it and they will give a new machine. OMG - this is completely normal. My brand new car was broken after 1000miles and so what. It happens to all products of all manufacturers in the world.
To folks talking about garbage - wish you to buy laptop (different brand - not garbage according to you) and see this - because you are really stupid.

Reactions: Bryan Bowler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.