Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Low country

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2016
South Carolina
Apple hasn't zero QC. Most user do not have any issues at all. But thanks for cancelling, so my order went up in the list.

I LOVE the denial of those here who flat out refuse to accept or believe Apple has done no wrong or that these issues do not exist.
Wake up people!
And good luck with your defective graphics card.

runner77

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2016
Berlin
I LOVE the denial of those here who flat out refuse to accept or believe Apple has done no wrong or that these issues do not exist.
Wake up people!
And good luck with your defective graphics card.
Did you read my comment? Did you? Do it again. I did not deny the issues in any way.

Apple does have QC. Most people do not have any issues. Many do.

Low country

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2016
South Carolina
Did you read my comment? Did you? Do it again. I did not deny the issues in any way.

Apple does have QC. Most people do not have any issues. Many do.
Apologies as I did read it incorrectly. As you can tell I am VERY UPSET with Apple at the moment. I clearly need a laptop besides my iMac and iPhone and was really anxious to get my new 15" BTO with the 460. Unfortunately Apple has yet again released another defective product and I simply cannot go through this BS any longer. Apple is having internal operations issues across all platforms the last few years and I've stuck it out through thick and thin with them and frankly it's been a hell ride!! I see no clearing beyond the horizon as long as the current leadership stays in place.

I do hope your MacBook works, I myself am finished gambling with Apple.

andrewbarba

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Boston
So when you reboot your computer does it show a weird graphic glitch at the login screen?

Yup this is exactly what I'm seeing. I have a BTO 15" and middle of the day yesterday the screen started glitching and then I got the panic screen. Now every time it restarts I get flickering green lines on the login screen. Not sure if there is a software fix to try and or if I should definitely bring straight to a store

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Mine is doing this periodically as well..topped out 15 inch touch bar..interestingly enough it does it on one specific picture in the photos app..i will try to reset the nvram and see if there is a difference

andrewbarba

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Boston
I did reset nvram and haven't noticed any difference. Another big problem is playing videos (YouTube) in Chrome. Tons of artifacting and bad color reproduction. Same videos in Safari are okay, but Safari has been a nightmare on this laptop; takes forever to get to first byte, just kind of hangs for 3 or 4 seconds before loading.

P.S. No, I am not happy with this laptop and I consider myself a DIEHARD Apple user. Could not wait for this thing and its been a struggle every use. Don't even get me started on Xcode...

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
I get glitches on login after a restart at a few vertical lines while in time machine. Given that in both cases, it's using the integrated GPU and it's so reproducible, I would guess it's driver issues. In my case at least.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Why is there such a hysteria. This can happen to all products in the world. Just return it and they will give a new machine. OMG - this is completely normal. My brand new car was broken after 1000miles and so what. It happens to all products of all manufacturers in the world.
To folks talking about garbage - wish you to buy laptop (different brand - not garbage according to you) and see this - because you are really stupid.

Totally the wrong attitude to have - I suppose it's good that you don't get wound up over materialistic good but Apple are a premium brand so people expect premium products.

It's really bad when people save for a long time to afford nice things that don't even work due to sheer lack of QC - I find it hard to believe that NON of the reported issues were picked up during tests.

It's a shame people don't vote with their wallets.

andrewbarba

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Boston
Just got off the phone with Apple, they are emailing me a shipping label to return this laptop and then they will ship out a replacement. Problem is, they said they can't give me a hold over from local store so will have to go at least a week without a computer, not sure I can do that right now. My other concern is these things are backordered, so it could be even longer. The person I talked didn't seem to understand these are backordered, insisted that it "doesn't take long to customize the laptops" and it will ship within 2 business days. Not sure I believe that...

Low country

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2016
South Carolina
Just got off the phone with Apple, they are emailing me a shipping label to return this laptop and then they will ship out a replacement. Problem is, they said they can't give me a hold over from local store so will have to go at least a week without a computer, not sure I can do that right now. My other concern is these things are backordered, so it could be even longer. The person I talked didn't seem to understand these are backordered, insisted that it "doesn't take long to customize the laptops" and it will ship within 2 business days. Not sure I believe that...

Cancel it and move on. Let Apple figure out their mess without your financial support. There is power in numbers people!! The more people that don't tolerate Apple's misguided quality control shortcomings the faster Apple addresses them.

Reactions: 8692574 and duervo

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
So my 460 just failed, laptop will not display at all only vertical lines. Leaving for Genius Bar now.

This is similar to what the 2011 iMac's display did... Apple did a recall/replace on all of them. When the owner brought it in...
Mine still does it from time to time after Apple replaced my video card, a restart (or 3) and plugging in an external monitor gets me back up and running for a week or so before another incident.

(in doing a little searching for a picture, sounds like the 2011 15" MBP also was prone to this issue.. 2011 was a bad year, looks like 2016 could be a repeat)

sentential

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
This is similar to what the 2011 iMac's display did... Apple did a recall/replace on all of them. When the owner brought it in...
Mine still does it from time to time after Apple replaced my video card, a restart (or 3) and plugging in an external monitor gets me back up and running for a week or so before another incident.

(in doing a little searching for a picture, sounds like the 2011 15" MBP also was prone to this issue.. 2011 was a bad year, looks like 2016 could be a repeat)

I'm gonna say no but we'll see, the 2015 however does fit that bill and by the grace of god, 10 hours on the road and two extremely helpful Apple seniors my '15 is NO MORE! Best $300 I've spent in a long long time! Props to Ryan @ the OKC store!

That aside I've had a chance to observe my "new" 455pro and design wise it appears to be just about perfect other than the annoying touch bar.

Right off the bat I can tell serious revamps were made to the thermals. Either they are using much larger heat sinks, fans, both or using better software to control them.

Fan inputs are far more linear and the new target seems to be 75C*-80C* as opposed to 90 or 100.

Highest observed temp was 83/81 with fans at 4100/6000rpm.

Chassis does heat up more than the previous one did but it's more responsive to pad coolers as I was seeing mid to low 70s on full load so thermals won't be fatal this time.

Theory: 460s might be problematic because of low yields at 35w as the other two are die-fused or as others stated the vram via drivers may be to blame.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
To be fair, I warned everyone before these even came out lol.

Just warning everyone now, not to buy the 15" with the dGPU. I'm going to buy one for myself and I also have a 2007 MBP with the nvidia 8600M and a 2011 MBP with the AMD 6750M, both of which had quality issues. So if my track record is anything to go by, the dGPU's in the new MBP will have issues too. Sorry guys.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/waiting-for-skylake-mbp-thread.1661246/page-1244#post-23753764

Reactions: emailnotebox

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Right off the bat I can tell serious revamps were made to the thermals. Either they are using much larger heat sinks, fans, both or using better software to control them.

Fan inputs are far more linear and the new target seems to be 75C*-80C* as opposed to 90 or 100.

Highest observed temp was 83/81 with fans at 4100/6000rpm.

Chassis does heat up more than the previous one did but it's more responsive to pad coolers as I was seeing mid to low 70s on full load so thermals won't be fatal this time.

Thanks for you report. Much appreciated! :cool:

Last edited:

borkaborka

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2016

Just a question, this is probably me being stupid, what counts as a dGPU? Isn´t the 450 also considered a dGPU?
Would this be "safer" option than upgrading to the 460? Otherwise this year there is no such thing as an 15" without a dGPU, right?
This is my first time where I am thinking about buying a 15" mPRO, right now I´m using a mid 2010 13" where the battery is kinda tired, so I´m in a big need of an upgrade. But since it´s alot of money, I don´t want something that breaks down after 3-4 years, since my mid 2010 have served me quite well, except an ssd-upgrade, these 6 1/2 years.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Just a question, this is probably me being stupid, what counts as a dGPU? Isn´t the 450 also considered a dGPU?
Would this be "safer" option than upgrading to the 460? Otherwise this year there is no such thing as an 15" without a dGPU, right?

They're both dGPUs. Apple has a pretty horrid track record with them. Last year we had a 15" model with integrated only. I suspect it will return at some point. It seems like skylake didn't have any quad core + iris pro packages.

borkaborka

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2016
They're both dGPUs. Apple has a pretty horrid track record with them. Last year we had a 15" model with integrated only. I suspect it will return at some point. It seems like skylake didn't have any quad core + iris pro packages.

As I suspected. The only reason I did´t buy the last years model is because I waited for Thunderbolt 3. I don´t play alot of games, but once in a while I want to, and an eGPU seemed to solve that problem pretty well. And will work as a good upgrade a few years down the road.

Oh well. Just have to wait and see how these things play out. No guarantee we´ll se a 15" without dGPU next upgrade either. :/

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Oh well. Just have to wait and see how these things play out. No guarantee we´ll se a 15" without dGPU next upgrade either. :/

I think there's a reasonable chance. Right now Apple's 15" laptop prices are quite high. I think they'll back off again. They kept the 2015 base model around, still at $2k. It's a reasonable sign that they don't feel comfortable abandoning that price point. Whatever base model comes out next is likely to be integrated only. I can tell you I probably won't touch these. The problem with graphics issues is that even a logic board replacement doesn't truly fix the problem. Refurbished boards haven't lasted as long for me.

Reactions: Queen6

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
It's a reasonable sign that they don't feel comfortable abandoning that price point.

I'm not sure, atleast on the 15" models. Intel doesn't seem too interested in keeping Iris Pro around, I think Apple would've loved to use it but it wasn't available for whatever reason. Kaby Lake won't have it based on the leaked roadmaps...I think Apple+AMD will continue to keep low end but reasonably performance dGPU such as the 450 so they can say that every 15" can drive 2x 5k displays, something I don't think the HD 530 can do.

sentential

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
As I suspected. The only reason I did´t buy the last years model is because I waited for Thunderbolt 3. I don´t play alot of games, but once in a while I want to, and an eGPU seemed to solve that problem pretty well. And will work as a good upgrade a few years down the road.

Well if it makes you feel any better I was one of the members who correctly stated that it'd be almost 2017 before skylake macs would be out and that everyone would be disappointed because they aren't much better than haswell minus the lower temps.

I was also one of the leading members bitching to Apple about how terrible the m370x was and they came through and gave me the new one as a replacement as I asked for almost a year ago.

That stated the new mbp are the real deal and is about as good as you could hope for. I'd recommend only purchase the premade with the 455 until it can be determined why the 460s are dropping like flies.

It's one of three things; either the logic boards that are built to order aren't assembled correctly, it's a yield issue with the nonfused Polaris 11 @ 35w or it's a driver issue.

There isn't enough information to say which but the basis of the platform itself feels solid and on a completely different level than the old one.

Bear in mind I fully planned to go back to windows, eat the loss and never buy a mac again and my full replacement was Apple's last chance for me. So far so good

Reactions: Queen6

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Well if it makes you feel any better I was one of the members who correctly stated that it'd be almost 2017 before skylake macs would be out and that everyone would be disappointed because they aren't much better than haswell minus the lower temps.

I was also one of the leading members bitching to Apple about how terrible the m370x was and they came through and gave me the new one as a replacement as I asked for almost a year ago.

That stated the new mbp are the real deal and is about as good as you could hope for. I'd recommend only purchase the premade with the 455 until it can be determined why the 460s are dropping like flies.

It's one of three things; either the logic boards that are built to order aren't assembled correctly, it's a yield issue with the nonfused Polaris 11 @ 35w or it's a driver issue.

There isn't enough information to say which but the basis of the platform itself feels solid and on a completely different level than the old one.

Bear in mind I fully planned to go back to windows, eat the loss and never buy a mac again and my full replacement was Apple's last chance for me. So far so good

So how has the performance been on this one as compared to your 2015 MBP? Also, particularly, is the UI performance on the iGPU seeing and noticeable fall in performance?

sentential

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
So how has the performance been on this one as compared to your 2015 MBP? Also, particularly, is the UI performance on the iGPU seeing and noticeable fall in performance?

The new ones remind me of the old Windsor based OG ultrabooks which is a big compliment btw. No UI issues seen so far. As I type this on a full charge my time remaining on battery shows 11 hours 20 mins remaining.

GPU performance seems great, I was very worried about getting the 455 over the 460 but I was desperate and needed something immediately, no regrets here at all

Per Monity widget current temps are:

CPU 32C*
Mem 28C*
GPU 35C*
Airport 34C*
Battery 28C*

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
I was going to buy the 15in with the 460. But after reading about all these problems. I am leaning toward getting the 455. How much of a performance difference do you think there will be, and how much of a difference will 2gb of vram make?
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.