Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wonder if the driver flipping between igpu and dgpu is buggy. Are you on battery when this happens.

I was both on Battery and on Power and the issue still happened. I also forced the dedicated GPU and found the issue would happen as well.
[doublepost=1479396542][/doublepost]I will let you all know what happens, I have an appointment with Apple today. My hope is they let me keep this computer and order me a new one and let me use this one until it arrives. I rather them not try to "FIX" a brand new computer and for my freelance business I can not be without a computer for over a month.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Anyone else find it slightly perturbing that the only new mac apple have introduced in ages under timmy's tenure seems to be a bit of an under engineered poorly designed lemon ?

WTF have they been doing the last few years ??

First that crappy black lg monitor , now this...

Has Jony Ive left the building ?!? Have Apple lost all their creatives and engineers ??

Apple under Jobs might have avoided mentioning the LG monitor. In that case you would have nothing. Apple was already moving away from the sale of standalone displays. They consolidated down to one display based on the imac's design, but it wasn't kept in step with the imac after that. The imac received a screen coating update, which never made it to the thunderbolt display. Apple always made terrible ones anyway. Unless you care about the aesthetics more than the picture, go buy an NEC instead.

Regarding these problems though, I won't touch the new ones until they come out with a 15" that only uses integrated graphics. It's a mediocre discrete gpu, not powerful enough to do anything demanding. I would go for higher reliability or purchase something else entirely.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
It hits me too.. is there a way to enforce it using Intel GPU for the time being before Apple fix it?

Pencilnink

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2016
I'm not sure if mine is related to OP's problem, but on bootup after logging in I get a flicker at the bottom of the screen. Just got this yesterday 15" tb 2.7/16/512/455. Did hardware diagnostics at an Apple Genius Bar and restored the OS and it still happens only on log in. Anyone else have this?

Reactions: RyanDaneshvar

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
I'm not sure if mine is related to OP's problem, but on bootup after logging in I get a flicker at the bottom of the screen. Just got this yesterday 15" tb 2.7/16/512/455. Did hardware diagnostics at an Apple Genius Bar and restored the OS and it still happens only on log in. Anyone else have this?
If you have FileVault encryption enabled this is normal. If you turn the encryption off it will go away.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
NEC has one of the best displays, at a premium though.

That's sometimes true. They often drop prices 20-40% on displays that are maybe a year to two years old. It can bring prices almost in line with much lower quality displays. NEC is a little slow on bug fixes, so I wouldn't buy something that came out a month ago anyway. It's just that they're very good and (in the US) much cheaper than Eizo.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

I have the 15 MBP, 1tb, 2.9, 460 and this was happening on logging in. Disabling file vault stops it from happening, but I believe it is because the logging in window changes. In any event, I have been on the phone with apple support and they want me to bring it in for a replacement. They are currently calling local stores to see if there is an exact model that I could replace with. However, you are the first with a 455 that I have seen encounter this issue, so I am starting to wonder if it is more software related than anything else. Maybe firmware for the video card?

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
The flicker after logging in is normal if you're using FileVault... it's something to do with the kernel being swapped at login for security purposes from what I've read. It's not because you're seeing a slightly different login screen.

There's no need to replace your machine if this is all you're experiencing.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
The flicker after logging in is normal if you're using FileVault... it's something to do with the kernel being swapped at login for security purposes from what I've read. It's not because you're seeing a slightly different login screen.

There's no need to replace your machine if this is all you're experiencing.

I was wondering the same thing. Is this normal, though, for all macs? I had file vault on my MacBook air and it never did that when logging in.

GeorgeBell

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
I've got the same problem with a build to order 2016 MBP - 15"...was fine for a day...was watching a youtube video and dragged the safari window to the top of the screen and got the multi-desktop view...then everything went red/matrix'ish...and the video audio kept playing...then stopped...after a reboot I have some significant screen flicker...

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
I was wondering the same thing. Is this normal, though, for all macs? I had file vault on my MacBook air and it never did that when logging in.
Was your MBA using FileVault2? I believe it's only a thing when using 2, not the original.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Was your MBA using FileVault2? I believe it's only a thing when using 2, not the original.

Not sure if that is a hardware limitation or software. If the latter, both the MBA and the MBP had sierra. If hardware, then the MBA was a late 2010 computer.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Not sure if that is a hardware limitation or software. If the latter, both the MBA and the MBP had sierra. If hardware, then the MBA was a late 2010 computer.
Tried looking around for a compatibility list but didn't find much in terms of hardware. FV2 was first introduced with OSX 10.7 in 2011, though, so perhaps there is some CPU-related hardware requirement needed to take advantage of it? Honestly not sure.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've got the same problem with a build to order 2016 MBP - 15"...was fine for a day...was watching a youtube video and dragged the safari window to the top of the screen and got the multi-desktop view...then everything went red/matrix'ish...and the video audio kept playing...then stopped...after a reboot I have some significant screen flicker...

The red matrix were light red blocks of tetris right?

TranceJD

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
Ireland, Europe
The red matrix were light red blocks of tetris right?

Any update? What did Apple say?

My 2012 MBP had a similar issue. Initially, Apple thought it was the display itself. So they replaced it. One hour after getting home (with new display fitted), I had the problem again and took it back. I didn't even make a second appointment... At this stage I was so annoyed.

In the end they replaced the mother board AND graphics. Thankfully I had AppleCare, because afterwards, they gave me the invoice which was a total of 920EURO (about 1000USD) for the new display, MotherBoard & Graphics unit, but I didn't have to pay a penny.

Haven't had an issue since!

Last edited:

astroboy888

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2013
Can anyone confirm if the screen artifacts occurs when the computer is in integrated GPU or discreet GPU mode? You can figure this out with an addon. Not sure if this utility still works on the newest MPBs, but it is worth a try: https://gfx.io/

It looks suspiciously like the Skylake HD5XX IGPU issues I am seeing while gaming on my desktop. You get small black squares which looks like a graphics rendering problem. If so, it looks like a Intel GPU driver issue.

One thing to try is to connect to external display, which will force the MPB into discreet GPU mode. Repeat experiment to see if the rendering problem still occurs.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Can anyone confirm if the screen artifacts occurs when the computer is in integrated GPU or discreet GPU mode? You can figure this out with an addon. Not sure if this utility still works on the newest MPBs, but it is worth a try: https://gfx.io/

It looks suspiciously like the Skylake HD5XX IGPU issues I am seeing while gaming on my desktop. You get small black squares which looks like a graphics rendering problem. If so, it looks like a Intel GPU driver issue.

One thing to try is to connect to external display, which will force the MPB into discreet GPU mode. Repeat experiment to see if the rendering problem still occurs.

If your assumption is correct, is it a hardware or software issue?

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Looks like my old 2011 13" MBP did right out of the box.
That was the Intel HD3000 so probably not a soldering problem on that one.

flogician

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
I know for sure that regardless of NVIDIA or AMD, these dGPU MBP's have had way too many problems BECAUSE of these cards (People with the models with no dGPU's have had none of these aforementioned issues)

It could be a cooling issue as well. The whole motherboard has soldered components, but only a few are actively cooled. In my experience with graphics glitches, it's always been overheating. Sometimes replacing the thermal compound between the heatsink/heatpipe fixes the issue, but sometimes not. It's almost as if the package is insulating the integrated circuit so much that heat can't escape fast enough. If you could check the GPU temp, that might provide an indication of whether it's temperature related.

sjwhyte

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Nashville, TN
Yeah I have this too. I select the red region and it goes away. Will take it in once I know they have supply.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 497
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.