Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Do I really have to erase my entire phone and restore from backup with a fake organizational profile just to get the security fixes 15.7 to 15.7.1? This is nuts. I'll go to 16 eventually but would rather do so on my own terms and not because it's either that or my device being full of exploitable vulnerabilities...Some of Apple's decisions are just really frustrating and questionable.

Last edited:

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
No, it's 15.7.2, with all previous security fixes, even those between 15.7.1 and 15.7.2.

With iBackupBot you don't need to erase your phone.

Honestly, I don't understand your reply, if you don't intend to do it, no one is forcing you to do it.
I was ranting about the only Apple-supported way of doing this requiring the device to be erased, and missing the 15.7.1 update with Apple not even letting me install that one by default. I did see the iBackupBot method and will probably try that first. Thanks for the guide, it's really helpful!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Reporting back on how it went.

I tried the iBackupBot method. The initial setup screen appeared which scared me into thinking that I'd have to restore from backup. But it was not the case, after going through setup I found my phone had not been erased. So if you see this don't panic and think you have to restore from backup in setup (I almost did this)!

Downloading the iOS 16 beta profile from Apple's website does not work, you must find a copy of the iOS 15 beta profile elsewhere. Thankfully this is low risk as the profile is signed and any tampering should result in it failing verification.

Without the beta profile, iOS 15.7.1 did appear for me on 15.7. However I opted to skip it and go straight to 15.7.2 RC. At the time of this comment +15 days to the profile did the trick.

I had to sign in to my Apple ID again and rename my phone in Settings > About. After the update it's no longer in supervised mode.

Success! Great work @DuckMe, not an easy process but everything worked out in the end!

Edit: Build 19H218 which is the release build of 15.7.2 according to Apple's website.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckMe

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
I was ranting about the only Apple-supported way of doing this requiring the device to be erased
That's a very common support tactic, because most of the problems are not software problems, or hard to reproduce, when the device is wiped, erased and restored, for 95% of the cases are solved, at least they don't complain anymore.
It's like you, you're just here to complain about Apple, but Apple never hears your complaint again, they feel like they solved the problem and think they are doing a good job.

and missing the 15.7.1 update with Apple not even letting me install that one by default.
Now Apple's policy is to let these devices upgrade to iOS 16 instead of staying on iOS 15, which is why you no longer see 15 as an option on your phone. honestly that does help reduce the maintenance pressure of fragmentation. but not everyone needs 16, does it?

So if you see this don't panic and think you have to restore from backup in setup (I almost did this)!
I'll clarify that in the guide, as I have never used iBackupBot, so I don't know that software specifically, all I know is from feedback from members of this thread, so thanks for pointing that out.

After the update it's no longer in supervised mode.
It seems like everyone says this, but I don't know how, supervised mode usually requires erasing the phone to exit.

Downloading the iOS 16 beta profile from Apple's website does not work
Yes, because the iOS 15 beta test is close to stopping, Apple no longer provides 15 beta profiles, and it can no longer be obtained legally.

Success! Great work @DuckMe, not an easy process but everything worked out in the end!
My pleasure, glad it worked for you, happy holidays.

Reactions: redheeler

RetiredDinosaur

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
It seems like everyone says this, but I don't know how, usually supervised mode usually requires erasing the phone to exit.

I had to wipe in order to get out of supervised mode however I, 1) wiped the phone before getting in supervised mode and 2) used iMazing to enter supervised mode.

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
I had to wipe in order to get out of supervised mode however I, 1) wiped the phone before getting in supervised mode and 2) used iMazing to enter supervised mode.
Yes, you need to erase twice during this process. Once when entering supervision mode and once when exiting, but honestly if you have a lot of photos and apps data the most painful process is the long backup and restore time, so it doesn't matter how many times you erase, there is only one backup and one restore.

But with iBackupBot maybe no need to erase, I don't know why iBackupBot didn't work for you, because according to @redheeler 's signature, redheeler is using iPhone 13 like you, and this thread also includes many using iPhone SE 2022, this is a newer device than the iPhone 13.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I would be more likely to try this if no restore is required. It sounds like there may be a connection between iBackupBot not requiring a restore and supervision going away by itself.

kayuz6

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2022
After some time I’ve finally tried this method, I’ve used iBackupPro on Windows and worked flawless, or well it asked to update to 16.2 but turned off the modem and was okay. I’ve get the iPhone XS to supervise mode and installed the two profiles. Now it’s installing 15.7.2. I’ll update when it’s done ;)

VAR_123

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2022
First of all, thanks to @DuckMe . I have an iPhone 13 with iOS 16.2, which I downgraded to 15.6 RC, and I have successfully updated to 15.7.2 RC.
I bought an iPhone because of its great software and battery backup, but iOS 16 changed that. I waited until 16.1.2 and upgraded from 15.7 to 16.1.2 and 16.2. Battery backup on 16.2 is not good. Even in idle condition at night, it drops to 6% (now my 15.7.2 drops to only 1%), and while using the 16.2 battery, it is not as good. So I finally decided to downgrade from 16.2 to 15.7.2.
I successfully downgraded from 16.2 to 15.6RC for the second time (the first time stuck at the Apple logo) using an ipsw file.
I have been stuck at 15.6RC for 4 days searching for how to update from 15.6 to 15.7.2, because in updates it is only showing 16.2, and I finally found your article about how to update from 15.6 to 15.7.2.
First, I downloaded your delay profile and followed your instructions, and I found the iOS 15 beta profile somewhere on another website and installed it.
Second, I went to settings and updates, where I found 15.7.2 and downloaded it.
Thirdly, when I try to instal 15.7.2, it says to check your Internet connection and fails to install.
Fourth, I missed making supervised mode, so I downloaded iBackupPro on Windows and tried to make it, but I couldn’t understand how to make it, so I went to YouTube and saw some videos about how to make supervised mode on the iPhone.
Finally, I made my iPhone supervised, and I went to Updates and installed 15.7.2, which I previously downloaded. It went smoothly, and I skipped entering my Apple ID after installing 15.7.2.
Lastly, I again cleaned the installation by erasing all content and settings. (General settings—transfer or reset iPhone)
Now I entered my Apple ID, and the same as when I first bought my iPhone, it downloaded all my iCloud photos and everything else it synced to iCloud.

anonston555

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
It worked! iBackupBot did not work for me though.
Started from 15.7.1, did a full backup, used iMazing to supervise and installed with no problems.

Hoped to stick to iOS 15 a bit longer, so this guide helped me / and many others / a lot. Thanks @DuckMe !!

ios1572.png

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Just wanted to thank you for putting this guide together. I used iBackupBot on macOS 10.15 with an iPhone 13 mini. No issues, simple enough, and it worked exactly as expected – no restoring necessary (although I did end up wiping and restoring anyway to remove the stupid 'update available' harassment notification, but that's just me).

kayuz6

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2022
It worked perfectly. I’m on 15.7.2 on my iPhone XS. I’ve used ibackupro, got supervise mode, installed the two profiles, updated and done.

BarryBlock

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
Is it possible just because Apple initially wanted to release 15.7.2 for iPhone 8? So I won’t be able to install 15.7.3 and newer updates 100%, is it correct? Thanks

cchase887543

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2022
Anyone know if 15.6 RC 1 is still signed. My phone auto updated at work with my charging case on. And I wanna do it over again.

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
It sounds like there may be a connection between iBackupBot not requiring a restore and supervision going away by itself.
Probably

I would be more likely to try this if no restore is required.
Yeah, why not, but honestly backup and restore isn't that scary, I've done it myself (I have lots and lots of files and photos).

iBackupPro
iBackupPro
Are we talking about two different pieces of software? PRO? really? is there a professional version of that software?

Even in idle condition at night
It might be a good idea to use airplane mode at night.

I have been stuck at 15.6RC for 4 days searching for how to update from 15.6 to 15.7.2, because in updates it is only showing 16.2, and I finally found your article about how to update from 15.6 to 15.7.2.
congratulations you found it.

thanks to @DuckMe
Thanks @DuckMe !!
Just wanted to thank you for putting this guide together.
My pleasure.

(although I did end up wiping and restoring anyway to remove the stupid 'update available' harassment notification, but that's just me).
My phone auto updated at work with my charging case on.
You can install the iOS 15 beta profile again so that you will not get iOS 16 updates pushed in the future.

EDIT: Read my edited guide, which added a new FAQ about disabling update notifications.

I’m on 15.7.2 on my iPhone XS.
Glad to see you finally got it.

So I won’t be able to install 15.7.3 and newer updates 100%
I wouldn't call it 100% because the iPhone 7-series and 8-series share the same firmware, and someone used this method to save 15.7.2 blobs for the iPhone 8 when 15.7.2 was originally released.

So with the iPhone 8, there might be an opportunity there, but the window is so short that you'll have to check for updates as soon as Apple officially releases the firmware, and the timing is hard to speculate on.

But, yes, Apple will most likely not offer iOS 15 for the iPhone 8 and later.

Anyone know if 15.6 RC 1 is still signed.
You'll need to test it yourself, but it was signed a few days ago, and I haven't seen news that it has stopped signing.

EDIT, yes 15.6 RC1 still signed (January 8, 2023).

As a speculation, I noticed that many non-Apple authorized phone repair shops are using this firmware, maybe the firmware is kept signed for repair purposes? no idea.

Last edited:

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
You can install the iOS 15 beta profile again so that you will not get iOS 16 updates pushed in the future.
Lol, it's baffling that never occurred to me – it would've been so much easier. I normally block updates (and other hosts) by abusing an encrypted DNS profile, which works fine, but you're right that simply installing the beta profile would have actually removed the notification as well. Thanks for the reminder!

Reactions: DuckMe

cy4r

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2023
I've two main queries:
1. What if Apple releases (a big "what if") iOS 15.7.3... what happens to devices running 15.7.2 RC (8 and above ; thanks to you ♥)
I am pretty sure iPhones (8 and above) will be stuck on 15.7.2.

2. After everything all set I suppose you reset the device to remove the supervised version but can I restore through recovery mode (that will probably force update the latest version)
or
should I restore through iTunes

Last edited:

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
I've two main queries:
1. What if Apple releases (a big "what if") iOS 15.7.3... what happens to devices running 15.7.2 RC (8 and above ; thanks to you ♥)
I am pretty sure iPhones (8 and above) will be stuck on 15.7.2.
Yes, I'm as convinced as you are that the iPhone 8 and later devices will get stuck on iOS 15.7.2, there won't be 15.7.3 for those devices, but 15.7.3 will eventually be released, as Apple still promises security updates for devices like the iPhone 7.

Then the most likely thing to happen is: If you have an iOS 15 beta profile installed on your iPhone (used to block iOS16 updates, as suggested in the FAQs), you will not receive any updates because the latest iOS 15 version available for your iPhone is 15.7.2. we can't even be sure that 15.7.3 will enter the beta channel, because Apple has stopped beta testing of iOS 15.

If you didn't install the iOS 15 beta profile, you'll still receive the iOS 16 update in Software Update as you do now.

2. After everything all set I suppose you reset the device to remove the supervised version but can I restore through recovery mode (that will probably force update the latest version)
or
should I restore through iTunes
The second question, restoring via computer will always install the latest version of iOS for you. but you can use the signed ipsw on restore to get back to the version you want, there is no signed ipsw for 15.7.2, but there is one for 15.6 RC1, which is what the additional steps in this guide mention.

In short, if you just want to do a clean flash, first restore with 15.6 RC1, then OTA upgrade to 15.7.2, then erase your iPhone. but if you just want to get out of supervised mode, just erase your iPhone after the update.

Last edited:

cy4r

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2023
how can I go to stable iOS 15.7.1 (not RC)

Last edited:

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
how can I go to stable iOS 15.7.1 (not RC)
Follow the steps of the guide, but don't install the beta profile and you'll get 15.7.1, which is to prepare the delayed OTA profile and put your iPhone in supervised mode.

15.7.1 will expire earlier than 15.7.2, so hurry up.

But I explained in detail the difference between 15.7.2 RC and the official version in the FAQs, and all your questions so far have general answers, obviously you haven't read the guide carefully.

I would recommend 15.7.2 over 15.7.1 anyway.

cy4r

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2023
my bad
Follow the steps of the guide, but don't install the beta profile and you'll get 15.7.1, which is to prepare the delayed OTA profile and put your iPhone in supervised mode.

15.7.1 will expire earlier than 15.7.2, so hurry up.

But I explained in detail the difference between 15.7.2 RC and the official version in the FAQs, and all your questions so far have general answers, obviously you haven't read the guide carefully.

I would recommend 15.7.2 over 15.7.1 anyway.
anyways thanks for everything 👍

Jordan Klein

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2016
Thank you for writing this guide, @DuckMe! I upgraded my 2022 SE from 15.7.1 to 15.7.2. Avoiding 16.x like the plague right now, based on all the things I've heard so far.

Only weird issue I had was that when I was done, my eSIM was wiped out. I had to call T-Mobile support to have them reprogram it. When I did the erase to take it out of supervisor mode, I used iMazing to erase it instead of going into settings. I wonder if that is why the eSIM was erased, or if it'd have also been erased if I did it from the iPhone.

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Sorry, I'm not in a very good mood these days, so please forgive me for possibly being offensive. so sorry.

Only weird issue I had was that when I was done, my eSIM was wiped out. I had to call T-Mobile support to have them reprogram it. When I did the erase to take it out of supervisor mode, I used iMazing to erase it instead of going into settings. I wonder if that is why the eSIM was erased, or if it'd have also been erased if I did it from the iPhone.
You are right, I forgot that the eSIM has problems when it is erased.

When erasing in iPhone settings, you will be asked whether to keep the eSMI information, but when erasing with a computer, there is a real complete erasure and there is no option for you to choose.

I'll add a reminder of this to the guide anyway, thanks for pointing this out.

EDIT: Already pointed this out in the guide, thanks again.

EDIT 2: Just wanted to clarify, when you restore your iPhone from a local backup, why isn't your eSMI restored?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.