Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Hello! May I please know if it's possible to get delayedota for iOS 15.7.3? Thanks.
From the FAQ in the guide:
Can this method be used to upgrade to iOS 15.7.3 in the future?

In my personal opinion, Apple has already killed plans to continue to get iOS 15 on these devices when 15.7.2 was released, so there will likely not be an iOS 15.7.3 at all for these devices in the future....
However, currently 15.7.3 RC is out, we just don't know if it will work for these devices yet. I will update you when there is further news.

EDIT:
No, no chance of getting iOS 15.7.3, read: #84 and #85

Last edited:

maryland

Suspended
Aug 24, 2022
Thanks DuckMe and other contributors to this guide!

Apple sent me a replacement iPhone after a failed repair. It had iOS 16 on it so I had to restore to iOS 15.6 RC1 (19G69) which still was signed today, January 20, 2023.

I then used Apple Configurator 2 with the two profiles. Calculating the days between two dates on different years is impossible for a human so I used https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html which gave me 43 days to put in the delay thing file. iOS 15.7.2 installed correctly, no being stuck on “Verifying”!

Again, thank you for writing this guide. For others still thinking about doing this, yes, 15.6 RC1 is still signed but as mentioned, that can change any day. 16.3 and 15.7.3 are slated for release next week, maybe then Apple will finally remember they left an old version signed. So hurry up if you’re thinking of doing this!

Reactions: DuckMe and iosgino

gsmman

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2023
Hi @DuckMe
I downgrade from 16.2 to 15.6RC on my Iphone 12 pro.
- After that, change phone to Supervise mode by ibackupbot
- install first: ios 15.7.2 profile (from your attachment with changed date to 43 for today: 21 Jan 2023)
- install second: ios 15.6 beta (i cannot find out ios 15 beta profile).
But in Setting/ profile 15.7.2, not yet verified and delay 43 days.
I can not cont...,
May be I was wrong somewhere? please advise
Thank you.

gsmman

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2023
I found out the reason:
- I have just loaded the profiles to phone, but not yet install them.
So now after installing one by one, back to Update software... 15.7.2 is available to upgrade
Thank you

Reactions: DuckMe

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Calculating the days between two dates on different years is impossible for a human
i agree with that lol 😂

iOS 15.6 RC1 (19G69) which still was signed today, January 20, 2023
Thanks for letting us know about this

maybe then Apple will finally remember they left an old version signed.
Still don't know for what reason they are still signing 15.6 RC1 🤷‍♂️

thank you for writing this guide
You're welcome, and thanks for these replies, I'm sure your replies will help anyone reading this guide.

- install second: ios 15.6 beta (i cannot find out ios 15 beta profile).
There is no 15.6 beta profile out there, only the iOS 15 beta profile, but every time a new version is released, those websites that distribute the beta profiles will say that the profile can be upgraded to 15.X, so call them 15.X beta profiles.

Try a delay of 44 days and see what happens!
The start date is December 8
It doesn't actually have to be particularly exact to go into December 8th, as far as I know iOS 15.7.2 RC is in signing status from the afternoon of December 7th to the morning of December 12th, so just enter that date range.

But December 7th and December 12th I would avoid because that date is not full day.

And there will be zero problems on December 8th (no matter what time zone you are in), which is why I chose it.

I found out the reason:
Glad you got 15.7.2.

Reactions: maryland

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Guys, you can test it and install the iOS 15 beta profile again to see if you can get iOS 15.7.3.

You don't need to go into supervised mode, and you don't need a delayed OTA, that's because 15.7.3 RC is being signed now until next Monday morning (January 23, 2023).

@gsmman @maryland @yahsavior

VAR_123

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2022
Guys, you can test it and install the iOS 15 beta profile again to see if you can get iOS 15.7.3.

You don't need to go into supervised mode, and you don't need a delayed OTA, that's because 15.7.3 RC is being signed now until next Monday morning (January 23, 2023).

I tested by installing the iOS 15 beta profile, but there is no 15.7.3 update. It says 15.7.2 is up-to-date. I tried so many times.

RetiredDinosaur

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022

I have had the beta profile installed since going to 15.7.2 on my iPhone 13 Pro and don't see 15.7.3 either

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
I tested by installing the iOS 15 beta profile, but there is no 15.7.3 update. It says 15.7.2 is up-to-date. I tried so many times.
I have had the beta profile installed since going to 15.7.2 on my iPhone 13 Pro and don't see 15.7.3 either
Hey guys, thanks for that testing.

It appears that Apple did not compile iOS 15.7.3 firmware for iPhone 8 and later models, so 15.7.2 is the last iOS 15 firmware for these models.

There is an exception for the iPhone 8 and 8+ as it shares the same firmware as the iPhone 7, but I guess there is no signature there.

Thnaks again.

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Hello, I’m on iPhone SE 2020. I already on supervised mode. But I’m confused how to add your Attachment OTA Profiles to phone?
The guide provides 3 ways to import profiles to iPhone, which one are you trying? and confused about which step?

Please read the "Import and install configuration profiles" paragraph of the guide.

And...
don't forget two things before importing:
1) Modify the attachment to replace 7 days in the file with the correct date you calculated.
2) Remove the .txt in the filename.

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
There is an exception for the iPhone 8 and 8+ as it shares the same firmware as the iPhone 7, but I guess there is no signature there.
I need to clarify that for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus that can be jailbroken through the "checkm8" exploit, they can theoretically install iOS 15.7.3 and later iOS 15.

After jailbreak, you can use the firmware of the iPhone 7 series to flash in, because you have already jailbroken, you can ignore Apple's signature to force flash in the firmware.

This is only theoretically possible as I don't have an iPhone 8 so I can't provide detailed steps.

It is worth noting that if Apple compiled the iPhone 7 firmware to reduce the firmware size and removed the part about the iPhone 8, then flashing the firmware will undoubtedly cause a brick (there must be a warrior to take the risk to verify this before anyone else tries). Also the iPhone X, which can use the same exploit, cannot install 15.7.3 because Apple has not compiled a 15.7.3 version for that model.

EDIT:

For those who use iPhone 8 series, you can refer to the related guide of "using checkm8 to downgrade iPhone 8 without blobs".

For example this one: github[dot]com/mineek/iostethereddowngrade

Also, if you're going through this upgrade that could BRICK your phone (become a warrior who verifies the theory), I'd be happy to share my experience (i know jailbreak well), just reply to this thread to keep in touch with me.

EDIT2:

ios15.png

Judging by the iPhone 7 Plus's firmware file size, they may have removed the iPhone 8 compatible part from this firmware.

Someone needs to risk possibly bricking the phone to test it.

Last edited:

Aegon.hunters

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2023
Jl.Peta Selatan, Jakarta
The guide provides 3 ways to import profiles to iPhone, which one are you trying? and confused about which step?

Please read the "Import and install configuration profiles" paragraph of the guide.

And...
don't forget two things before importing:
1) Modify the attachment to replace 7 days in the file with the correct date you calculated.
2) Remove the .txt in the filename.

Mission Complete !!! Thank You So Much !!!

Work on my iPhone SE 2020.

GBU duckMe !!!

Attachments

• 77104D83-98B6-4A7A-9C81-666FDB0ED53A.png
    77104D83-98B6-4A7A-9C81-666FDB0ED53A.png
    168.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
When the profile expires next week could this method still allow someone to go to 15.7.1 from another version?

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
When the profile expires next week could this method still allow someone to go to 15.7.1 from another version?
I'm currently unable to confirm if the beta profile for iOS 15 will expire in February, or if it will still be available for updates even after it expires.

I'll update this guide after I verify it in February, but right now everything is based on assumptions.

EDIT:

Ok, I misunderstood your question.

First of all, the guide only hints that the beta profile may expire at the end of January, while the delayed OTA expires in March.

But your problem is 15.7.1, which can be updated without beta profile, because it is a public version, but its delay will expire on March 12, 2023, which is consistent with 15.7.2 RC.

Last edited:

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Added a new FAQ:
Is iOS 15.7.2 still safe?

iOS 15.7.3 has been released, which does not contain any fixes for WebKit vulnerabilities, so we can speculate that 15.7.2 has no known WebKit vulnerabilities for the time being. This is good news, because the WebKit vulnerability is a higher risk vulnerability, it can be exploited through email, messaging apps, Safari, and just click on a malicious link to hack your iPhone.

The important fix provided by 15.7.3 is CVE-2023-23504, which is a kernel vulnerability. To exploit this vulnerability, a malicious App needs to be installed on your iPhone. due to AppStore's strict review policy, it is difficult for hackers to use it to carry out widespread attacks.

So hacking on 15.7.2 will be challenging at the moment, I will provide more comments as more security information is disclosed in the future. in the meantime, updating to iOS 16 is the best advice if you think you're someone important who could be noticed by hackers.

For more information about CVE-2023-23504, please refer to the details of the vulnerability disclosure:

adamdoupe[dot]com/blog/2023/01/23/cve-2023-23504-xnu-heap-underwrite-in-dlil-dot-c/

It's worth pointing out that the person who reported the bug was using macOS to reproduce the bug, although the bug exists on the iPhone as well, but there are some differences there, apps can create and destroy ports on iPhone without root privileges, the vulnerability requires the application to create more than 65535 ports, which normal applications can do.

Therefore, this vulnerability is easier to exploit on iPhone than on macOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Papi Pedro

Big Papi Pedro

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
Hi @DuckMe, made an account to thank you for your work + everyone that helped 🙏🏼

Device and OS: iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16.2.

Before doing anything, I created a local backup of my phone. I found firmware 19G69 and restored it via iTunes(MS W10) (I originally forgot you have to hold "Shift" before clicking restore iPhone). That worked out well, but I could not get supervision on my iPhone to work using iBackupBot. I tried removing my passcode, adding a passcode, making sure I had "Find my iPhone" turned off, etc. but had no luck. The issue was that every time I tried to restore the "supervise" config data (with and without the "1111" password), I always got "Restore Error" on the program. After a few hours I caved in 😅 Bought a license of iMazing (£30) and entered supervised mode (extremely straightforward). I then emailed myself and opened/installed the delayed OTA profile and definitely my own copy of an iOS15 Beta profile. I proceeded to Settings and updated to 15.7.2, finally restoring the phone once more to remove supervision. Lastly, I found my earlier backup, edited the "Info.plist" file and overwrote my "Product Version" from 16.2 to 15.7, and restored using iMazing (I did however noticed the backup was visible using iBackupBot, so other than the supervision issue, that might be a good option for others).

Thanks once again for your work, much appreciated 🙏🏼

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Hi @DuckMe, made an account to thank you for your work + everyone that helped 🙏🏼

Device and OS: iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16.2.

Before doing anything, I created a local backup of my phone. I found firmware 19G69 and restored it via iTunes(MS W10) (I originally forgot you have to hold "Shift" before clicking restore iPhone). That worked out well, but I could not get supervision on my iPhone to work using iBackupBot. I tried removing my passcode, adding a passcode, making sure I had "Find my iPhone" turned off, etc. but had no luck. The issue was that every time I tried to restore the "supervise" config data (with and without the "1111" password), I always got "Restore Error" on the program. After a few hours I caved in 😅 Bought a license of iMazing (£30) and entered supervised mode (extremely straightforward). I then emailed myself and opened/installed the delayed OTA profile and definitely my own copy of an iOS15 Beta profile. I proceeded to Settings and updated to 15.7.2, finally restoring the phone once more to remove supervision. Lastly, I found my earlier backup, edited the "Info.plist" file and overwrote my "Product Version" from 16.2 to 15.7, and restored using iMazing (I did however noticed the backup was visible using iBackupBot, so other than the supervision issue, that might be a good option for others).

Thanks once again for your work, much appreciated 🙏🏼
This is the second time I've heard that iBackupBot doesn't work, which is weird because for some it works and for some it doesn't. I don't know what went wrong.

Anyway, I'm glad it did help you.

Also, you're probably the only one who read the guide carefully, because you replied with the model and pre-upgrade version correctly formatted as suggested in the guide, which is useful because when a lot of people have the same problem, I can quickly determine if the problem might be from a particular version or model.

Thanks for reading and replying.

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Can iOS 15.7.2 delayed ota profile public release available on several sites be used to update iPhone 8 and iPhone higher?
No, you can't, because that's the public version of the delayed OTA profile, not the RC version, the public version released after the RC version ends, and the public version does not work with iPhone 8 and later models.

In short, the public version delay OTA for 15.7.2 has the wrong date.

I woke up to my phone mysteriously turned off with more than 50% battery and the beta profile missing. I'm guessing it expired.
I didn't expect it to be automatically deleted.

Ya! Mine to while installing 15 beta profile it says no longer valid.
Yes, the beta profile for iOS 15 expired on January 31, as expected.

Currently there is no way to upgrade to 15.7.2 for iPhone 8 and later models.

But iOS 15.7.1 is still available, can upgrade to 15.7.1 by following this guide, but without importing the beta profile.

Since Apple is still releasing iOS 15 for older devices, it is also possible that in the future they will re-release a new iOS 15 beta profile, but until that happens, there is no chance to update to iOS 15.7.2.

To those who have successfully upgraded to iOS 15.7.2, congratulations.

I will not be editing this guide again until Apple releases a new beta profile.

Last edited:

kayuz6

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2022
So, I’ve an XS, my only chance to use iOS 15 is to dfu the 15.6 rc then use the delayed ota profile to have 15.7.1 I guess? I’m using latest 16.3 now, but it’s choppy and battery’s a joke :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.