Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
While the iPad Pro hardware was close to perfection since 2018, this gen fix the last few complaints:
-Camera in the correct position
-Lighter (still have to see how much lighter the new Magic Keyboard actually is)
-All the best display tech available atm
-Function rows on the Magic Keyboard
-Apple Pencil Pro with all the features one can ask from it

I can’t think of anything else to improve on in term of form factor.
Performances have not been an issue in a while and even on that side they went with the M4 instead of the M3, so it will take a very long time until we see feel a significant evolution.
The only thing I can think of is battery life, but until we have some breakthrough technology it won’t change much.

It really feels like the iPad Pro has reached its final form & from now on we will only see small spec bumps like with the MBA & MBP. I honestly wish that’s the case because the day I’ll pick up one of these I’ll be on my 4th iPad keyboard & 3rd Apple Pencil in 7 years.
Funnily enough Apple stopped referencing new gen as gen 6th etc but is instead calling this gen ”iPad Pro M4”, just like we do for the Macs. That’s most likely because this gen thing didn’t make sense any longer but that’s a step in that direction.

Let’s see what’s in store with iPadOS, because that’s the only thing stopping the iPad from being the ultimate portable computer in the market is its OS.
I don’t except much though. All that changed since they announced iPadOS and we all got hyped up is that we now get iOS features 1 year later than the iPhone. It really shows how much of a priority the iPad is for Apple.

Btw to all the people saying “nobody asked for a thinner iPad” => all 12’9 with Magic Keyboard users asked for a lighter iPad. Apple can’t visually show you lighter, but they can show you the same thing, lighter, hence the marketing direction.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Fair, but it would be nice if it worked while the keyboard was open and being used. Guess it would come down to the placement of the Smart Connector and whether Apple allows it
Truly amazing that someone could laugh at this (or they ran out of thumbs downs), or could “disagree” with this lmao

What is there to disagree with? It wouldn’t be nice to be able to use the keyboard accessory you already have? Disagree with hardware placement and software compatibility being deciding factors?

These forums are a trip hahahaha

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
I was thinking the same thing. My daughter gifted me an M1 iPad Pro about 2 years or so ago. I got the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil as well. Based on what I saw, I don't see the point of upgrading from my current iPad Pro. It does everything I need and more. What I don't like is that the new Apple Pencil Pro is not compatible to the M1 iPad Pro, which means I will have to upgrade to the latest and greatest to be able to use the latest and greatest features of the Apple Pencil Pro. Okay.... I will hold on to mine a little bit longer.
Says how great the M1 iPad Pro is. its not a criticism of the new iPad Pro.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I thought Apple learned a lesson from chasing after thinness at all costs. It was compromising too many other things about the products, like cooling and battery life.

Reactions: Cape Dave

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012

There are two notable design changes for the new iPad Pro models introduced today: they are the thinnest Apple products ever released, and they are available in a new Space Black finish that debuted on the MacBook Pro last year.

iPad-Pro-Space-Black.jpeg

Apple gave the media some hands-on time with the new iPad Pro models, and we have rounded up real-world photos and videos of the devices below.

The new 11-inch iPad Pro is just 5.3mm thick, and the 13-inch model is even thinner at 5.1mm.

There is also a new Magic Keyboard for the new iPad Pro models that features an aluminum palm rest and a larger trackpad. The keyboard is available in Black and White color options, which have Space Black and Silver palm rests, respectively.

Last, the new Apple Pencil Pro looks very similar to the second-generation Apple Pencil.

Article Link: Hands-On With iPad Pro in Space Black: Apple's Thinnest Product Ever
I do not understand this obsession with thinness, as a Professional user, I would rather it be slightly thicker case and a few more ounces of weight to get a batter longer lasting battery inside, one that could truly go ALL day on a film set! Also an option for more / better camera options like an actual optical zoom and real telephoto not some digital interpolated nonsense And MORE USB/Thunderbolt ports to attach drives and other accessories!

DownUnderDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
Someone needs to sit on it and see what happens. Me thinks the iPad Pro syncs your Apple Pay directly to Apple and orders a replacement of itself and uses AI to search for a second job you will need to pay for the repair or replacement.

fwilers

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
Washington
I just don't get it. My hobby is music production and I use ableton live like most electronic music producers. Why would I buy an Ipad pro or even air with an M2 or M4 chip in it, when I cant run my music software on it?
Did you ever think that other people don't have the same hobby and use whatever software that is? Do you go to Android or Linux web sites and ask the same question? Why don't you ask the dev's of the software why they don't develop for ipad? I can see why you don't get it.

Reactions: CloneBB

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
My 2018 11” Pro is visibly bent just from occasionally putting it in a backpack. Can’t imagine this new one. There’s such a thing as too thin right?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
My 2018 11” Pro is visibly bent just from occasionally putting it in a backpack. Can’t imagine this new one. There’s such a thing as too thin right?
Just wondering was it in a folio when it got bent? Sorry to hear about the damage!

Tomasulu

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2015
Depends on your definition of product i guess. Pretty sure the polishing cloth is thinner. :)

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
Just wondering was it in a folio when it got bent? Sorry to hear about the damage!

Yes, it's always in a case with a plastic shell. Don't get me wrong; it's still useable. Just saying personally, I would be very wary of these new ones considering how much they cost.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thinest product ever! < no one asked for this
Speak for yourself. These are mobile devices. I like thinner and lighter. Apple moved in the wrong direction with the MacBook Pros IMO. The iPad Pros with Magic Keyboards were thicker and heavier than MacBooks. Hopefully that changes now.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
I will not complain about iPad being thin. You knew it needs to be thin if you got the keyboard.

Reactions: KPOM

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Beautiful, but I will hold off on upgrading my M1 MacBook Air until something like an M4 Air arrives just for the extra basic functionality and productivity (compared to an iPad). I'm not much of a creative type and I appreciate and need the most value possible.
The iPad Air seems like a good fit for you. It’s a decent value at $599. Add $79 for a cover and it’s a good second monitor for your MacBook Air when it isn’t in use as your main iPad. With 128GB of base storage it’s also a decent value.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I will not complain about iPad being thin. You knew it needs to be thin if you got the keyboard.
Exactly. My biggest complaints about the iPad Air/Pro models with the previous Magic Keyboards were thickness and weight. Since Apple hasn’t released a new 12” MacBook the 11” iPad with Magic Keyboard is my travel device of choice now.

Reactions: crazynewf7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.