Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CloneBB

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2023
Looking forward to a lighter and thinner iPad. And no, I don’t work for Apple. So everyone that says no one cares…well they are lying.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Personally I want better battery life over thinness.
I thought we had left that ‘thinner is better’ era behind us when Jonny Ive left the company.

Kiteflygolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
this is one place where weight matters, so that's a lot more important. Thin? As long as it doesn't bend, or sacrifice battery life, that's fine.

The bigger issue for me is that the keyboard still doesn't have a way to attach the pencil to it. I may end up with third-party keyboard cases because of that.
If Apple provided a method of securing the pencil then they prevent you from losing it which would mean they sell less pencils….so this is a guaranteed revenue stream by design, or should I say lack of design. It’s pathetic.

• Haha
Reactions: MallardDuck

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
I thought we had left that ‘thinner is better’ era behind us when Jonny Ive left the company.
As someone who carries their iPad Pro to and from work every day I’d say thinner and lighter is way better. I hope the new folio cover has similar improvements too.

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
Says how great the M1 iPad Pro is. its not a criticism of the new iPad Pro.
I don't have to say that. Anybody who have an M1 iPad Pro knows that already. It's fast and responsive to whatever I'm doing. Watching videos and movies is impressive with the right headphones. I have a Sony XM4 headset.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
And there will never be a thinner one, as long as the EU mandates USB-C forever.

I was interested in getting the nano-texture in the next iteration someday, but I hate how it’s glossy on the bezel and matte only over the display portion. Looks weird!

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
The only way I will be tempted to buy a tablet is if Apple stops distancing the ipad from the MacBook. By embracing both devices as a hybrid like windows has.

Boing123

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2024
Don’t care that it’s thin, given the wait in my region for nanoglass, I want to know if it affects the pencil writing feel at all…

Dolmio

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
I'm definitely the target for this. I just can't decide on the 11" or the 13"
Yep in the same boat here . I previously have the 2018 12.9 but I find it only useful to use on a table so gonna try the 11 inch first and see if I end up using it more in many different scenarios . The screen on the 13 inch will be missed but I’m thinking the 11 inch is the sweet spot for using on the sofa / bed etc let’s see

rxp

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2018
Such a big deal for the thinness when the Galaxy Tab Ultra s8/9 is about 0.1mm thicker.

Was excited about the matte coating but it looks terrible - not like Dell's which preserves contrast and colour. It almost looks like the matte screen protector I have on my 12 mini. It even has the shiny areas that aren't quite covered by it.

Sad about this - was excited but as a media consumption device which is all I use tabs for I'll get the Galaxy.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
Not that we needed another example of why the "Air" moniker makes zero sense today...Apple literally just released two 11" iPads and two 13" iPads, the Air model being both thicker and heavier than the Pro model in both cases.

Joosst

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Pick up with one hand? Impossible.

Open the lid with Magic Keyboard attached with one thumb like on MacBooks? Impossible.

It’s not a very approachable device.

Funny how there’s a whole chapter in the Steve Jobs biography that goes on about them making clay casts that are easy to pick up with one hand. How it should be the most approachable device ever.

I’m still struggling with two hands to open up my iPad, accidentally ripping it off the magnets etc. It’s pretty bad.

• Disagree
Reactions: deruch

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
The thinner enclosure seems like a distraction from the bezels, which are not much thinner. The stock photos seem to purposely show a black background on the new Pro instead of a bright one on the Airs. In the past, Apple has played up the differences in bezels with iPhone Pro vs. non-Pro using light wallpapers in photos.
And where’s the problem?

kbk75

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
Was so pumped waiting for the new 13" to replace my M1 12.9" with. Disappointed that they raised prices, reduced features and the massive redesign was a damp squib. Pass. Guess it'll be 2026, then?

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
My #1 complaint with 12.9” Pro and its Magic keyboard combo system is that it’s too heavy. Because Apple uses aluminum and not plastic they need to be even more precious about weight unlike a MacBook Pro that simply needs to fit in a backpack or lay on a table.

Reactions: GDF

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
NOBODY cares if the new iPad is thin. Only idiots at Apple think this is a selling point.
I sure do. I want it as think and light as possible. My 12.9 Gen 5 iPad Pro 12.9 is too heavy and think it is too thick too. So, I think thinner and lighter is awesome. So, yes, lots of people probably care. 🙂

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
I still don’t see a reason to upgrade my 2018 11 inch Pro. Perfectly fine for media consumption and web browsing. I don’t need OLED or 1000 nits for YouTube.

To be fair, the 2018 11 inch Pro was also not designed for your use case.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Have they bent yet? Would really like the 13” model with new keyboard but….how much ? Not for me. Maybe with a lottery win…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.