Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
"But for me personally..."

No, for you, but not "personally."

Good Lord!

It's right up there with YouTubers overuse of the word "actually" and when they say "honestly," or "if I'm being honest" (aren't you always honest? Wait, what?).
This cracked me up, and glad to hear I’m not the only one who thinks this. Props to you sir!

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
The power of the sun in the palm of my hand!

And nothing to use it for...
Exactly.

Pretty much all the power you could want in a portable computer. With an amazing display and great speakers too.

iPads may or may not be suited for macOS. That's a discussion on its own.

What we need is first for Apple to get the basics of iPadOS right as its explained here https://www.macstories.net/stories/not-an-ipad-pro-review/

emrelee

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
Finger oil marks on the screen and keyboard, indeed it's a hands on video.

As an artist I had all version since 2018, I simply hate trying to see the artwork underneath the heavy finger print stains, which gets worse under daylight. Therefore I welcome the nano feature but not the 1tb requirement.
Ridiciluous to pay almost 2k for an iPad.

Lastly any artist willing to do real work with this needs more screen estate. When I have my hand on it half of the screen is already covered. without keyboard shortcuts it requires you to look and click on screen UI elements for brushes, colors, etc. which ends up covering even more screen estate.

quid squid

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
los angeles
Was hoping the extra power would make it better for SideCar and using Clip Studio Paint, but it was still extremely slow. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the new pencil and the last one either, except for some of the haptic, which I'd probably just end up turning off anyways. The new pencil was what pushed me into upgrading so soon, but overall, it's not worth an upgrade from a 5th generation.

• Wow
Reactions: kilimanjaro

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2024
A great review. However, two points. First, I disagree that you cannot bend the iPad by accident. I somehow managed to do just that with my 2018 iPad Pro — don’t know when or how, but it was definitely bent and I literally bent it back. Thankfully, it didn’t affect its functionality; only the aesthetics. But this new so-much-thinner iPad Pro will definitively bend more easily.

Second, I really don’t get why even the seasoned Apple fans want MacOS on an iPad. That would ruin the whole experience and frankly what is that you would do with MacOs on an iPad that you cannot already do on a mac? I agree that there are a number of features and apps like Preview that should be introduced to iPad, but not the MacOs itself.

Oh, and lastly, the price of the Pro + keyboard is so high that I cannot even afford the new model. Thankfully my 2018 iPad still works just fine, but when I need to upgrade, I will just go for iPad Air.

Reactions: Tybull

starlabjump

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
Without hardware matching software,
it is like a super athletic person without any necessary skills.

oled, pencil pro, landscape camera, thinness, weight, new keyboard … all are about hardwares.

wwdc 2024 is going to be crucial in providing much needed funtionalty upgrades to ipad pros.

hopefully i do not see only ai features, calculators, stage manager 2 in ipados18.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

GandalfvsRand

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
My iPad (M1) is primarily a consumption machine. Lots of books on it through Amazon's Kindle and other subscription services. Lots of magazines through Apple News. Review (but only lightly edit) Word/Excel documents created and heavily edited on my Mac Studio. I don't find the Macbook Pro 16 inch to be heavy when I carry it around in a backpack or pull it out to use on my desk. So for my use cases, the push to make these things lighter and thinner sounds like the developers have adopted a warped perspective on the importance of weight and thinness in tablets.

In the past I would upgrade my tablets from time to time more as a splurge, as opposed to meeting a real need. But at $1848 (over $2000 after taxes where I live) for just the iPad 13" 256gb and the keyboard, the real-world incremental improvement over my M1 is low. My potential alternative uses for $2,000 (e.g. an Elgato Stream deck, an Insta360 Link 4k AI video conference camera and a four Triangle Borea 03 speakers with Triangle Borea BRC1 center channel speaker) collectively would cost less than $1,600 with taxes. Fight inflation; stop ignoring the costs and, over time, prices will drop.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
I can only presume they are putting an M4 chip in the iPad because they intend to blow us away at WWDC, failing that it becomes a pointless exercise at this point.
There are two reasons for the M4. One is that the M4 is the only SoC Apple makes right now that can drive that tandem OLED display. Two is for the neural engine that is faster than the previous one despite the same number of cores. The M4 also has a number of new features that app developers can use. From interviews ZBrush, a professional digital sculpting app used in Hollywood studios, will be coming soon to iPad because of those new features along with unique M4-only features on Procreate. What they are, the interviewees didn't say. I'm sure more will come in time.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
Is there a use for the wide angle lens other than Portrait Mode?
I wish they'd ditch it entirely on the base iPhone for the sake of a telephoto lens instead.
I've said it many times but will say it again: I've used wide angle maybe 6-7 times since it was introduced on the 12, but I can't count the number of times I was taking photos and wished like hell I had an optical zoom to get just a touch closer. Not enough to buy the Pro brick phone but enough to curse Apple's design choices.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Baritone_Guy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2021
"But for me personally..."

No, for you, but not "personally."

Good Lord!

It's right up there with YouTubers overuse of the word "actually" and when they say "honestly," or "if I'm being honest" (aren't you always honest? Wait, what?).

As for the new iPad. Gorgeous. I just set mine up.

But the Magic Keyboard...buyer beware if you have long fingers, as when I got to type on the number row I consistently slam the tips of my fingers into the bottom of the display.

Buyer beware--try it out 1st at a store (assuming you have large hands and long fingers).
The new iPP when connected to the new Magic Keyboard is set back when compared to the older one. It is how they squeezed in the FN keys. I had the same issue with the older one.

Feels much less cramped.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
I concur. Not sure why "the press' is so pumped about its light weight and thinness. Still a hefty tablet. But it is indeed a featherweight compared to my Samsung S8 Ultra. Now that'a a beast.
It seems like a good difference. The new 13" is a quarter pound lighter, almost a 20% weight reduction. That's a huge difference if you hold it in one hand for protracted times. I also have a Samsung S8 and S9 Ultra. It's far too heavy to hold in one hand. I find it droops within seconds. 14.6" is too big. As you said, it's a beast, but it's meant to stay permanently in its really crappy keyboard. Samsung can't make a decent keyboard. Whenever I type on it, it loses keystrokes constantly. I hoped the S9 Ultra's keyboard would improve on the S8's, but it didn't.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Was hoping the extra power would make it better for SideCar and using Clip Studio Paint, but it was still extremely slow. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the new pencil and the last one either, except for some of the haptic, which I'd probably just end up turning off anyways. The new pencil was what pushed me into upgrading so soon, but overall, it's not worth an upgrade from a 5th generation.
I think that's a wireless thing. Did you try it wired? I find it's a lot faster and more reliable. Apple may have added WiFi 6e, but if you don't have a 6e network, it wouldn't make a bit of difference no matter how powerful the iPad or Mac are.

Reactions: Tagbert

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I don’t know why, maybe I’ve been out of the loop this last 6 years since my last iPad Pro purchase, maybe the rest of the M series iPad Pro’s were similar, but no one seems to be mentioning the sound quality out of these new ones, and mentioning how awful these speakers are, at least compared to my 2018 iPad Pro they sound massively worse. Very disappointing.

• Wow
Reactions: foliovision

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
A great review. However, two points. First, I disagree that you cannot bend the iPad by accident. I somehow managed to do just that with my 2018 iPad Pro — don’t know when or how, but it was definitely bent and I literally bent it back. Thankfully, it didn’t affect its functionality; only the aesthetics. But this new so-much-thinner iPad Pro will definitively bend more easily.

Second, I really don’t get why even the seasoned Apple fans want MacOS on an iPad. That would ruin the whole experience and frankly what is that you would do with MacOs on an iPad that you cannot already do on a mac? I agree that there are a number of features and apps like Preview that should be introduced to iPad, but not the MacOs itself.

Oh, and lastly, the price of the Pro + keyboard is so high that I cannot even afford the new model. Thankfully my 2018 iPad still works just fine, but when I need to upgrade, I will just go for iPad Air.
Multiple windows open, iPadOS is not a very intuitive design for multiple open windows for multi tasking. A functional office 365, the ability to drag and drop files onto emails or word documents, a desktop, to name a few things. I feel there is a big difference with my workflow on a computer vs and iPad. I think people are wanting MacOS because these iPads are extremely capable machines and at $2k it would be nice to have the functionality of a desktop or Mac OS. I tried to use my last iPad pro as my primary machine but it just isn’t as good for me. I don’t know how to quantify it other than the fact that I’m far more productive on my Mac than my iPad.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
The new iPP when connected to the new Magic Keyboard is set back when compared to the older one. It is how they squeezed in the FN keys. I had the same issue with the older one.

Feels much less cramped.
I tried an M1 iPP on the new Magic Keyboard and the M4 IPP on the old Magic Keyboard. I noticed immediately the magnets are in the wrong place so neither keyboard will attach right. I was wrong on one aspect. The setup with old iPad with new keyboard would NOT tip over. It seems stable, though the right side droops because of the incorrect magnet placements. You technically can attach the mismatched iPads to the other keyboard, but without being able to line up the three-pin connectors, the keyboard becomes a lopsided stand without the ability to type anything.

slothinker

Contributor
Nov 28, 2012
Just got one (13 incher). Haven't turned it on yet. However I can confirm that it does lie flat. Also, it cannot be used with the previous magic keyboard because of its slightly larger size. I knew that beforehand but, ugh.

I get how excited Apple is about the thinness and lightness of this device. It's too bad that it simply can't be used as is ... without cases, etc. Engineers in these parts are carrying around Remarkables which weigh 404g and have 10.3 displays and very thin protective covers. The new iPad Pro11 has a 11" screen and weighs 444g. Remarkable offers a "book folio" which is very thin and perfect for mobile activities. I wonder if Apple had that market in mind? It's a big one and by getting in range with a lighter machine and the new Apple pencil they start to be able to offer millions of apps compared with Remarkables unremarkable offerings.

Last edited:

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2024
Multiple windows open, iPadOS is not a very intuitive design for multiple open windows for multi tasking. A functional office 365, the ability to drag and drop files onto emails or word documents, a desktop, to name a few things. I feel there is a big difference with my workflow on a computer vs and iPad. I think people are wanting MacOS because these iPads are extremely capable machines and at $2k it would be nice to have the functionality of a desktop or Mac OS. I tried to use my last iPad pro as my primary machine but it just isn’t as good for me. I don’t know how to quantify it other than the fact that I’m far more productive on my Mac than my iPad.
The points you raise are valid, but could be addressed by Apple and other developers, especially Microsoft. I completely agree that the Office suite is dreadful, but in my case I can thankfully mostly use Pages and Keynote, and then I either convert to .docx or PDF. The problem starts when I need to work on shared docs.

As for dragging files into email, that you can do already. You can also just copy-paste them. Which reminds me that on MacOs you are still forced to save files; an annoyance that doesn’t affect iOS/iPad OS

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
For those installing their new iPads, I did run into a couple of problems. When I first started up the new iPad, I got to the point where it attached to the old iPad and connected easily. Then it did the day one software update and rebooted. That's where the problems started. The new iPad trying to discover nearby devices stubbornly would not find the old iPad despite me waving the old iPad at the new one putting it within an inch of the device. After rebooting both devices, I finally got the new iPad to see the old iPad. I then ran into another problem. When you use the old iPad's camera to scan that globe of dots, it wouldn't work, though it worked the first time around before the software update. I ended up doing a manual connection by typing in a six digit code. The two iPads are finally in the process of transferring data for another couple of hours.

If you haven't updated the old iPad and plan to transfer to the new iPad, one suggestion is to try NOT updating the OS on the new iPad before doing the data transfer. I can't do that anymore to test it since I did do the update, but if you want to avoid those issues I had, it might be better to skip the upgrade first and upgrade it later after the transfer.

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2024
For that $$$ and that M4 power and that Pro label, it needs to work like a touch screen device and a laptop. I have the 12.9 M2 and the M3 Max MBP — believe me, I have not totally missed the point.
Honest question, if you have such a powerful Mac already, why would you need a pro iPad version in the first place? If I had any kind of mac, I would at most get the new iPad Air.

Reactions: DaPhox

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Honest question, if you have such a powerful Mac already, why would you need a pro iPad version in the first place? If I had any kind of mac, I would at most get the new iPad Air.
Convenience. A laptop is actually a PITA to carry around with you constantly. An iPad is the best ultraportable device and is so easy to carry around. A lot of times, I take it off the keyboard and it becomes even more portable. Is there an ultra-ultra portable? ;)

I take it with me constantly inside my house and most of the time outside my house while still in town. The only time the MacBook leaves my desk is when I travel. The iPad can do 90% of what Macs can do and Macs can do 90% of what iPads can do, so it's that non-overlap and ultraportability that makes the iPad worth it. If you can't afford a high end iPad, just get an iPad Air or mini for a much cheaper price. To me, the major reason to get a iPad Pro is that screen, first the mini-LED on the 2021 version, and now the 2024 tandem OLED version.

Because it is so ultraportable and such a huge convenience, I use my iPad for almost all my computing needs because the best computer is the one that's with you.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
I know I’m flexing here but I’ll pick one up on Friday; the 1TB nano texture display model with cellular just to use it as a hotspot device. Why not? Apple says iPads are meant to complement MacBooks and my MacBook doesn’t have cellular. It will be a delightful huge battery hotspot machine.

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
I’m a little confused.. my volume buttons seem to be backwards. The button closest to the power button lowers and the button further from the power button increases??? Other than that oddity i love this thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.