Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
This is the first time I have ever exchanged an iPhone after purchasing it.
[doublepost=1538590809][/doublepost]
I bought a new phone and checked it first before I did a return. It was not an exchange so much as purchasing another phone outright and then returning the one I felt was subpar.

Ok cool.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Went from my 7 Plus to Xs Max and now to the Xs. Screen is pretty much the same as my last one. Very warm (but bright) display. Oh well, I am super happy with the size of the Xs and I can get by with a color filter to make my screen appear cooler. Maybe a future update will fix? Who knows. Just going to enjoy the phone now.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Went from my 7 Plus to Xs Max and now to the Xs. Screen is pretty much the same as my last one. Very warm (but bright) display. Oh well, I am super happy with the size of the Xs and I can get by with a color filter to make my screen appear cooler. Maybe a future update will fix? Who knows. Just going to enjoy the phone now.

Anyone got a screenshot of the color filter settings being used as a starting point?

SamIam06

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone

ATTENTION: YELLOW SCREEN IS SELF FIXABLE! (To any one that considers it an issue. It’s all personal preference)I noticed this yellow tint on my iPhone XS Max and was obsessed on fixing it. Finally figured it out and the yellow tint is gone. Follow directions below so you can get your phone display to your personal liking:

Disclaimer: Make sure True Tone and Nightshift are off first. If the yellow tint is still there, which it was in my case, here is the fix:

(Before starting, I’d recommend turning up brightness to 80-100% so you can accurately calibrate your settings to your liking)

1. Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Turn on Color Filters

2. Tap Color Tint and verify it’s checked

3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look. (I personally liked this setting at around 30-35%, but user preference will vary so maybe use it as a starting point)

4. Then adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference (I personally recommend this setting at around 65-70%, but user preference will vary so maybe use it as a starting point)

At this point, the yellow tint should be gone.

Phone seems dim? Want additional brightness?

Additional optional setting:

Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > TURN OFF Reduce White Point or turn down reduce white point as much as possible.

Attachments

• 2AE1267D-BF03-4327-822D-576C9D6773DF.png
    2AE1267D-BF03-4327-822D-576C9D6773DF.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 3BA62973-BA7E-460B-B6DF-8ED096FC095D.png
    3BA62973-BA7E-460B-B6DF-8ED096FC095D.png
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 9F5BCBEF-CF3D-4AE9-B339-6FDD6F077729.png
    9F5BCBEF-CF3D-4AE9-B339-6FDD6F077729.png
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 59E5195F-7A5E-4E96-9971-AB4F912C7E66.png
    59E5195F-7A5E-4E96-9971-AB4F912C7E66.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 057D513E-E92F-47A9-81C7-43B9CADBBF98.png
    057D513E-E92F-47A9-81C7-43B9CADBBF98.png
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 94F45746-51E4-4123-9952-1117882976CE.png
    94F45746-51E4-4123-9952-1117882976CE.png
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

jacob2460

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
1D60E501-FDB7-4ED9-8DDF-0D7F2C66CB38.jpeg
Don’t know if I’d call this a part of the yellow shift (it seems more desaturated in the blues than anything else). The left is the XS, the right is the X. The difference is so severe that skin tones look green in low light. Thinking I’m going to return, try again. ;(

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
ATTENTION: YELLOW SCREEN IS SELF FIXABLE! I noticed this yellow tint on my iPhone XS Max and was obsessed on fixing it. Finally figured it out and the yellow tint is gone. Follow directions below so you can get your phone display to your personal liking:

Disclaimer: Make sure True Tone and Nightshift are off first. If the yellow tint is still there, which it was in my case, here is the fix:

(Before starting, I’d recommend turning up brightness to 80-100% so you can accurately calibrate your settings to your liking)

1. Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Turn on Color Filters

2. Tap Color Tint and verify it’s checked

3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look. (I personally liked this setting at around 30-35%, but user preference will vary so maybe use it as a starting point)

4. Then adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference (I personally recommend this setting at around 65-70%, but user preference will vary so maybe use it as a starting point)

At this point, the yellow tint should be gone.

Phone seems dim? Want additional brightness?

Additional optional setting:

Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > TURN OFF Reduce White Point or turn down reduce white point as much as possible.

LOL wow, such a revelation.

This has been discussed many times in this thread. It's not a real fix, and makes other colors look off. It also reduces brightness.

Reactions: symphony

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I just have to laugh at how 'accurate' these displays are... and they almost ALL are like this. As I look at photos on my calibrated monitor vs the phone, it's crazy how warm the pictures look on the iphone. Mind you, I was there taking the photo (yeah, lol)... I KNOW what the environment looked like when I took the photo and it's MUCH closer to being accurate on my monitor. The iPhone is much more accurate when viewed at a 10+ degree angle when the blue shift is visible.

That said, I'm still not playing the exchange game. I have an evenly yellow screen that matches every display I've seen.

I am considering flat out returning it and waiting for the Xr... which is something I didn't even consider during the announcement.

Damn it Apple! Let me calibrate my screen! (and yes, I've put in that feature request directly to apple multiple times)

SamIam06

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
LOL wow, such a revelation.

This has been discussed many times in this thread. It's not a real fix, and makes other colors look off. It also reduces brightness.

No it doesn’t, be patient, and just give it a try.
Set brightness to 100% before starting, then Make sure to check off color tint.
Hue: start around 30-40%
Intensity: start around 60-70%
And adjust from there.
The brightness issue can easily be fixed by turning off “Reduce white point”, which is what I did.

I have endlessly worked on this and compared against my iPhone X. It works, and apple Genius Bar associated verified this way of fixing the issue. I’m assuming they know more than you. Thanks. Good luck.

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
View attachment 791928 Don’t know if I’d call this a part of the yellow shift (it seems more desaturated in the blues than anything else). The left is the XS, the right is the X. The difference is so severe that skin tones look green in low light. Thinking I’m going to return, try again. ;(
Um, I'm pretty sure the app is using two different images. If you notice, all the other blue images on the screen like the hold near reader icon and the 3 dots, all look the same on both phones. The balance rewards parts are using two different colors on each phone. Green on the left and blue on the right. Although, there is a temperature difference between the whites in the two phones..

Reactions: steve62388

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Don’t know if I’d call this a part of the yellow shift (it seems more desaturated in the blues than anything else). The left is the XS, the right is the X. The difference is so severe that skin tones look green in low light. Thinking I’m going to return, try again. ;(

If that were the case wouldn’t the blue on the mini card in the center look green too?

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
And adjust from there.
The brightness issue can easily be fixed by turning off “Reduce white point”, which is what I did.

I have endlessly worked on this and compared against my iPhone X. It works, and apple Genius Bar associated verified this way of fixing the issue. I’m assuming they know more than you. Thanks. Good luck.

Lol, dude it’s a filter not a color temp slider. It’s NOT a fix. And just because it’s called Apple “Genius” bar doesn’t mean they are smart. You are not talking to IT professionals. They will regurgitate what they want you to hear.

Reactions: symphony and kre62

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
Lol, dude it’s a filter not a color temp slider. It’s NOT a fix. And just because it’s called Apple “Genius” bar doesn’t mean they are smart. You are not talking to IT professionals. They will regurgitate what they want you to hear.

Settings looks good to me so why you complaining if it is working for people?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Settings looks good to me so why you complaining if it is working for people?

First off, it shouldn't be needed in the first place.

Second, its a bandaid and doesn't actually work. It just counteracts the yellow with a layer of blue. Makes overall screen look fine but blues will be over-exaggerated and artificial looking.

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
First off, it shouldn't be needed in the first place.

Second, its a bandaid and doesn't actually work. It just counteracts the yellow with a layer of blue. Makes overall screen look fine but blues will be over-exaggerated and artificial looking.

Return your phone then and don’t use it. Your personal opinion doesn’t really matter to people who decided to change the tint to their benefit.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Return your phone then and don’t use it. Your personal opinion doesn’t really matter to people who decided to change the tint to their benefit.

kre62 is trying to help you by saying its not to your benefit. Later down the road you will realize the filter is there and you will end up turning it off. Because you didnt change the color temp of the screen you just put a blue filter over it which changes other colors so they are not accurately depicted.

Its like you buying a Lambo and feeding it regular gas and saying it runs the same when the problem is you have never used premium to see the difference.
[doublepost=1538643585][/doublepost]color filter on and off BTW. You can see the difference in the colors

Attachments

• DPH77 (7).JPG
    DPH77 (7).JPG
    996.2 KB · Views: 238
  • DPH77 (8).JPG
    DPH77 (8).JPG
    881.7 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: symphony and madKIR

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
And adjust from there.

I'm still on IOS 11 iPhone X so no need to test this but I believe this is best way to calibrate display because fix from Apple is questionable.

BAZ1307

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Newcastle, UK
My screen is very uneven and goes from a yellowish colour at the top to a neutral white towards the bottom. Is this what is happing to everyone else? I checked in the Apple Store and their XS Max’es didn’t have the same issue from what I could tell.

I can notice this gradient on any app, but it’s seriously annoying when browsing web pages with white backgrounds, or even Reddit with the dark mode. I could live with an even yellowish hue from top to bottom, but not one that changes.

It actually also affects the screen outdoors, the top portion is not as bright as the bottom.

Here’s what mine looks like on the Calendar app:

Attachments

• E8B6DF11-62E4-4735-868E-9BD13327F17E.jpeg
    E8B6DF11-62E4-4735-868E-9BD13327F17E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 393

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
My screen is very uneven and goes from a yellowish colour at the top to a neutral white towards the bottom. Is this what is happing to everyone else? I checked in the Apple Store and their XS Max’es didn’t have the same issue from what I could tell.

I can notice this gradient on any app, but it’s seriously annoying when browsing web pages with white backgrounds, or even Reddit with the dark mode. I could live with an even yellowish hue from top to bottom, but not one that changes.

It actually also affects the screen outdoors, the top portion is not as bright as the bottom.

Is TT on or off?

CC

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010

Looks fine to me. Might explain why I'm happy with mine.

Reactions: madKIR

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

Nope, I can't see it and I'm very sensitive to these things, and I've returned numerous iPhones and iPads over the years for yellow and pink tint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.