Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
I took a photo of two XS MAX's to show the difference of screen at a different viewing angle. Mine is on the left, purchased on launch day. The one on the right is one purchased yesterday buy a friend directly from the Apple Store. There is a very noticeable pink Hue on the one right. Is the pink hue supposed to be there when the phone is tilted or is mine not right?

View attachment 792011

That’s how mines is on the left when tilted

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
The screen temp changes even with true tone off its sometimes really white and sometimes yellow i got the ios 12.1 beta and seems slightly better might be a placebo effect

Reactions: thelead

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
View attachment 791928 Don’t know if I’d call this a part of the yellow shift (it seems more desaturated in the blues than anything else). The left is the XS, the right is the X. The difference is so severe that skin tones look green in low light. Thinking I’m going to return, try again. ;(

Mine is very similar to this photo. I don't have my X anymore but the strong True Tone effect this year kinda bugs me, even a week after purchase.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I had an iPhone XS expected to come next Friday, but it ended up being shipped early and arriving tomorrow.

Well I’m hoping this batch is different.

Also I was just at the their store today testing out the iPhones and noticed that a lot of them have the same display as my iPhone X. Seems like all these day one iPhone XS have superior displays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
I finally got a screen without yellow, major pink shift, or uneven shift to pink. Exchanged 5 sorry to say...

It is very distracting since you don’t always hold your screen parallel to your face.

Every screen I’ve seen is warmer than the X I had. This isn’t a bad thing. It’s bad when it’s very yellow with True Tone and night shift off.

Every XS screen I got had a different color/hue/shift. It is crazy how different the phones can be. All the haters should go compare their screens to friends and not the ones in stores. It’s hard to see in pictures, but you can tell in person.

Good luck everyone. Hope to not see you yet again next year.

jlevy73

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Cool bro. You've been very vocal that you think your screen is fine. Go in peace.
Sadly, that seems to be the best of the options at the moment. I had 2 phones, one that was warmer with barely any color shift. One that was cooler, that had a crazy wild blue shift even at 5-10 degree tilt. I found the color shift more obnoxious and kept the warmer one. Not saying people should be happy with it, but seems to be what a lot of people are seeing in this thread.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
View attachment 791928 Don’t know if I’d call this a part of the yellow shift (it seems more desaturated in the blues than anything else). The left is the XS, the right is the X. The difference is so severe that skin tones look green in low light. Thinking I’m going to return, try again. ;(

The color of the cards shown on the left is correct. Look at the blue “rewards” on the inside of the card on the left. While your screen does look a slight bit tinted, the colors are correct. Walgreens updated their card to an off blue. The card on the right is their old card that was deeper blue.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
LOL wow, such a revelation.

This has been discussed many times in this thread. It's not a real fix, and makes other colors look off. It also reduces brightness.

While I don’t have a need to do this, you are wrong in stating that it messes with other colors. I tried it just to see and the other colors are completely fine and look the exact same.

Itsjustcole

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
Hoping for some feedback on my iPhone XS Max screen. For comparison, I’ve got my X (last day to return is tomorrow). I feel like it’s difficult to portray in this picture, but everything seems so dull and flat on the XS Max compared to the crisp, popping screen on the X. Opinions?

Attachments

• 7F7D2429-9D08-490E-8579-D45A0AB67707.jpeg
    7F7D2429-9D08-490E-8579-D45A0AB67707.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 367
  • 7BC5535E-69AB-43ED-BF69-724BBD59C125.jpeg
    7BC5535E-69AB-43ED-BF69-724BBD59C125.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 361

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
Hoping for some feedback on my iPhone XS Max screen. For comparison, I’ve got my X (last day to return is tomorrow). I feel like it’s difficult to portray in this picture, but everything seems so dull and flat on the XS Max compared to the crisp, popping screen on the X. Opinions?

Your X looks on the cooler side. That’s what I prefer. I don’t know if a cool version even exists on the max at this point. Pictured is my max against my 7+.

Attachments

• 0B1BAEA6-1B22-4B76-B6EE-CF9AA0D34BC9.jpeg
    0B1BAEA6-1B22-4B76-B6EE-CF9AA0D34BC9.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 294

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011

Mine looks similar to your max, but I think most of the displays look more yellowish compared to previous years. Yours may be slightly more uniform as I do see slight pink on mine in the upper right. It changes with the angle, so it’s hard to tell.

6B73FD21-6AB8-43B0-BA04-0E9173B90859.jpeg

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Tiny update because I haven’t been here in a while. Idk if my eyes adjusted, or the yellow tint ended up being glue or w.e, but after a weeks use, my yellow tint has reduced or completely disappeared altogether. I can’t tell any longer and have completely forgotten abuse this issue and this thread so I guess that says something. Hopefully all of yours will too.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Tiny update because I haven’t been here in a while. Idk if my eyes adjusted, or the yellow tint ended up being glue or w.e, but after a weeks use, my yellow tint has reduced or completely disappeared altogether. I can’t tell any longer and have completely forgotten abuse this issue and this thread so I guess that says something. Hopefully all of yours will too.
I don't think it's glue. The problem is that your eye's just adjusts accordingly.

Reactions: DanPH77 and thelead

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I don't think it's glue. The problem is that your eye's just adjusts accordingly.

That’s what I’m thinking as well. Like the color shift is still there as I’m guessing that’s just OLED, but that heavy yellow I would notice once it face on, is no longer there. Really weird issue

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Your X looks on the cooler side. That’s what I prefer. I don’t know if a cool version even exists on the max at this point. Pictured is my max against my 7+.

I’ve seen some at the Apple Store today when comparing my X to an XS. They do exist.

Although I prefer my screen to be balanced like my X, the cooler it is, the less aggressive True Tone is if you’re a fan of the feature.

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
I’ve seen some at the Apple Store today when comparing my X to an XS. They do exist.

Although I prefer my screen to be balanced like my X, the cooler it is, the less aggressive True Tone is if you’re a fan of the feature.

I’d like to get my hands on a cooler display. The lottery just isn’t a fun game to play. I’m already on my second one. I’m going to have to go do some more comparing in store. I just don’t understand why there’s so much variance.

Reactions: symphony

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008

Is TT on or off?

CC

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016

Can you post what your ‘Do Not Disturb During Bedtime’ looks like?

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
The color saturation is really toned down on this screen. Now that may be more accurate but I would prefer a bit more color.

Your Max screen seems to have pink near the top which is probably just because it's at a slight angle right? I can't stand the the pink shift to be honest.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Well I'm getting a replacement sent out by Apple and will be allowed to send my current one back after the new one arrives. I will be comparing both and if the new one isn't flawless, both will be going back.

I feel like many are trying to convince themselves that OLED has warmer tones, is prone to shifting and what else is being discussed on here.

Facts are: All my other calibrated displays (including iMac / MacBook Pro / iPad Pro / iP8+) all share the same screen temperature and it is the XS Max that stands out by a far amount. With True Tone the screen go so much more yellow, it's mad. It like night shift on steroids. The screen looks perfect off axis, but that's not the point. Colour filters cause loss of contrast and I just can't live with that.

If the next one isn't good, they'll both have to go back. No excuse for Apple here. If they talk about "individually calibrated displays" on their keynotes and charge way over 1.000€ for phone, I expect the best of the best.

can i get a pic of your phone?
[doublepost=1538726270][/doublepost]
While I don’t have a need to do this, you are wrong in stating that it messes with other colors. I tried it just to see and the other colors are completely fine and look the exact same.
they almost look the same but if you examine them closer or put them in a program that gauges color you will see a difference. I notice it but its not that noticeable.
[doublepost=1538726441][/doublepost]
I think your phone looks good. The X is a little cooler and has better white and gray but the XS MAX overall doesnt look bad from what I see
[doublepost=1538726651][/doublepost]
I’d like to get my hands on a cooler display. The lottery just isn’t a fun game to play. I’m already on my second one. I’m going to have to go do some more comparing in store. I just don’t understand why there’s so much variance.
I requested a refund so I have another 2 weeks to compare. Going to go look in the store again and see how the models look side by side
[doublepost=1538726791][/doublepost]
The color saturation is really toned down on this screen. Now that may be more accurate but I would prefer a bit more color.

Your Max screen seems to have pink near the top which is probably just because it's at a slight angle right? I can't stand the the pink shift to be honest.
When I was talking to an Apple tech one day they claimed that they moved to warmer screens and that whites should appear "cream" colored. She said they are trying to cut down on the blue light emit because its bad for the eyes....I am just sitting here like regardless...let the user decide and put in a slider..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.