Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom2517

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
I took mine back and got a new Max. The new Max isn't two toned (yellow top/pink bottom). However, the colors are much duller than my X. May have to live with it or just keep my X from last year at this point.

I think there is something to Samsung selling Apple their B screens and keeping their A screens for their galaxy series. Very frustrating for a $1,800 phone!

I don't buy that, Apple is arguably Samsung's most important customer so why would they do that? I am willing to buy if Apple tells Samsung all they need is B screens because Apple wants to keep the cost down. But if Apple is paying for A screens I don't believe Samsung would intentionally give Apple B grade stuff.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Here is what my XS MAX looks like with TT on and off: https://imgur.com/a/CfSdaRM

4vRQ1Xr.jpg

Last edited:

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
Well I'm getting a replacement sent out by Apple and will be allowed to send my current one back after the new one arrives. I will be comparing both and if the new one isn't flawless, both will be going back.

I feel like many are trying to convince themselves that OLED has warmer tones, is prone to shifting and what else is being discussed on here.

Facts are: All my other calibrated displays (including iMac / MacBook Pro / iPad Pro / iP8+) all share the same screen temperature and it is the XS Max that stands out by a far amount. With True Tone the screen go so much more yellow, it's mad. It like night shift on steroids. The screen looks perfect off axis, but that's not the point. Colour filters cause loss of contrast and I just can't live with that.

If the next one isn't good, they'll both have to go back. No excuse for Apple here. If they talk about "individually calibrated displays" on their keynotes and charge way over 1.000€ for phone, I expect the best of the best.
Did they require a down payment or hold for the replacement?
[doublepost=1538744601][/doublepost]
Nope, I can't see it and I'm very sensitive to these things, and I've returned numerous iPhones and iPads over the years for yellow and pink tint.
I can see it clearly. It's weird how some can see these things and some can't. Look at the top and bottom really quickly back and forth.
[doublepost=1538744714][/doublepost]
I took a photo of two XS MAX's to show the difference of screen at a different viewing angle. Mine is on the left, purchased on launch day. The one on the right is one purchased yesterday buy a friend directly from the Apple Store. There is a very noticeable pink Hue on the one right. Is the pink hue supposed to be there when the phone is tilted or is mine not right?

View attachment 792011
That's crazy how different these displays look from one phone to the other. They're the same exact phone! Shouldn't be like that.
[doublepost=1538744859][/doublepost]
Let us know how it goes but I’ve yet to see a ‘good’ screen across dozens of phones. I’m guessing you’ll be sending both back.
I had a XS that was almost perfect. It was shocking, because it was the only iPhone X, XS,XS Max I've seen without a problem. I exchanged it for the XS Max, but not because of the screen.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
My screen is very uneven and goes from a yellowish colour at the top to a neutral white towards the bottom. Is this what is happing to everyone else? I checked in the Apple Store and their XS Max’es didn’t have the same issue from what I could tell.

I can notice this gradient on any app, but it’s seriously annoying when browsing web pages with white backgrounds, or even Reddit with the dark mode. I could live with an even yellowish hue from top to bottom, but not one that changes.

It actually also affects the screen outdoors, the top portion is not as bright as the bottom.

Here’s what mine looks like on the Calendar app:

I think it looks fine. The top and bottom of the calendar aren’t pure white. It’s an off white with pure white in the middle, which is what it looks like you have.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
But True Tone is not the issue. At least you can turn TT off. The people complaining in this thread experience the tint with or without TT.
I don't know, you don't see these color shift issues with Samsung or Google (pixel) devices. I think there's something to the TrueTone technology with the OLED panels being used.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Do you have TrueTone enabled? It’s nasty. Makes the screen look like piss. First thing I turned off
Agree. Falsetone is a no go. Screen looks better with it off. Not just these but all the idevices with trutone. I have zero tint issues with my phone.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
Thats crazy it should be the other way around.

CC

Thats what I meant, my bad.

because when I turn TT on, its more yellow on my phone.
But in his pic, with TT on, his phone is less yellow with it on than the one with TT off

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Thats what I meant, my bad.

because when I turn TT on, its more yellow on my phone.
But in his pic, with TT on, his phone is less yellow with it on than the one with TT off

True Tone is supposed to adapt to the kind of lighting that is in the room. It doesn’t change to a uniform color. So if he is in a well lit room with bright white lights then True Tone is working as it should.

That’s also why I question so many people stating they’ve seen “perfect” displays in the Apple Store. The XS Max in the stores has TT on by default, and the store is lit absolutely perfectly to make the displays look their best. So if TT isn’t turned off people are seeing TT working with the lighting in the store.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
How's my screen?

TT on/off doesn't seem to make a difference.

Attachments

• 9b0f7121-cd32-493c-afaf-8f17c9ca19a4.jpg
    9b0f7121-cd32-493c-afaf-8f17c9ca19a4.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 302
  • c1cc2482-0531-4d59-9a44-72b27c0a64ba.jpg
    c1cc2482-0531-4d59-9a44-72b27c0a64ba.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 304
  • 5f4c58d4-24ae-4713-92ce-34f83d8cf86d.jpg
    5f4c58d4-24ae-4713-92ce-34f83d8cf86d.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 308

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
True Tone is supposed to adapt to the kind of lighting that is in the room. It doesn’t change to a uniform color. So if he is in a well lit room with bright white lights then True Tone is working as it should.

That’s also why I question so many people stating they’ve seen “perfect” displays in the Apple Store. The XS Max in the stores has TT on by default, and the store is lit absolutely perfectly to make the displays look their best. So if TT isn’t turned off people are seeing TT working with the lighting in the store.

I don't think they know that lol

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

From the start of this thread, the guideline has been to turn true tone off. It's well known, and step 1 to doing any comparisons.
[doublepost=1538764367][/doublepost]
I don't think they know that lol

They sure do, tiger

Reactions: 4254126

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
From the start of this thread, the guideline has been to turn true tone off. It's well known, and step 1 to doing any comparisons.
[doublepost=1538764367][/doublepost]

They sure do, tiger
and you think they are doing that when they get to the stores?

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I compared the the XS Max with an iPhone 6S today. The white on the display of the 6S is amazing. I was blown away how good the 6S LCD looks in comparison to an OLED.

I can‘t await the XR. I NEVER buy an OLED technology again.

Reactions: BAZ1307

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Today, my package arrived in the mail and it was even worse because of how severe the blue shift was. So I returned it at my local Apple Store for the ninth time and exchanged for another model.

And praise be to Jesus Christ, this model doesn’t have a yellow tinted display (with True Tone off, of course), not warm at all, has the same color shift with the same severity as my iPhone X too.

But there is one thing, the white point is dimmer and darker than my iPhone X. Had sunlight shine on both devices to over their maximum brightness level and my iPhone X seems still brighter. True Tone seems to be balanced though.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Today, my package arrived in the mail and it was even worse because of how severe the blue shift was. So I returned it at my local Apple Store for the ninth time and exchanged for another model.

And praise be to Jesus Christ, this model doesn’t have a yellow tinted display (with True Tone off, of course), not warm at all, has the same color shift with the same severity as my iPhone X too.

But there is one thing, the white point is dimmer and darker than my iPhone X. Had sunlight shine on both devices to over their maximum brightness level and my iPhone X seems still brighter. True Tone seems to be balanced though.

Nine returns?! Holy ish!

Thebigkahuna

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012

Could you please share a picture of your new phone? I have yet to see someone post a photograph of a white screen and would love to compare yours to mine.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Could you please share a picture of your new phone? I have yet to see someone post a photograph of a white screen and would love to compare yours to mine.

Sure. It’s currently restoring, will post a comparison when it’s done.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018

Nine returns?! Are you getting hit with carrier upgrade fees every time or did you buy outright sim free?

I returned my Max and got a Xs and absolutely love the size (previous phones were 7 plus and 6 plus, nice to have a smaller phone!) but the display is as warm as the Max and this one has a pink tint that my Max did not have. I can get by with color filters but the phone has crap cell signal. I went out today and had no service where my girlfriend had a bar LTE, also getting disconnected from calls in places I never did with any of my old phones. I just don't know what to do. Maybe I return this and wait for the Xr or a used X...It's so much of a hassle to drive to Apple to return & get hit with these new $30 carrier upgrade fee's on apples iUP program...

I'm just thinking maybe there will be an update to fix the cell signal issues and warm displays? I almost think it's a sensor or something software related triggering True Tone or Night Shift even though its off...

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011

That’s just ridiculous I’m sorry. Nine times are you serious over this? Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.