Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
I went to Best Buy and AT&T today. All the displays were warm and not as bright mine with all the settings set the same as my phone.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Some have brought it up but can we talk about how desaturated everything looks? The panel looks lifeless.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Some have brought it up but can we talk about how desaturated everything looks? The panel looks lifeless.
yup the X max I have seen at bestbuy and a co-worker all looked dull......I remember my X from last yr colors on it were nice not oversaturate and not dull like this year.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
how is it that your screen is more yellow with TT on? shouldnt it be the other way around?

EDIT**** I meant how is it that your screen is more yellow with TT off?

I just now noticed that...well here is the thing tho...the pics dont do justice...because to my eyes the screen is more "yellow" than what you see in the pic. With True Tone on its alot more "yellow"
[doublepost=1538810517][/doublepost]
That’s just ridiculous I’m sorry. Nine times are you serious over this? Lol
that is a little excessive...2-3 times and you should just call it quits...at least for a month or so

Reactions: evorc

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Ok, I got tired of the pics not doing a justice so I took a video. The white balance is set to neutral and all post processing is off. This video shows the XS MAX with true tone off and on multiple times and then I compare it to my iPhone 6s+

[doublepost=1538817290][/doublepost]not sure if my screen is defective or not...anyone have an opinion on it? It seems warmer compared to my iPhone 6s+ looking at it with my eyes.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Ok, I got tired of the pics not doing a justice so I took a video. The white balance is set to neutral and all post processing is off. This video shows the XS MAX with true tone off and on multiple times and then I compare it to my iPhone 6s+

[doublepost=1538817290][/doublepost]not sure if my screen is defective or not...anyone have an opinion on it? It seems warmer compared to my iPhone 6s+ looking at it with my eyes.

Looks good to me. Displays up to 6s had slightly bluer white point. 7 onward they made it a bit warm.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Looks good to me. Displays up to 6s had slightly bluer white point. 7 onward they made it a bit warm.

ah, wish they would let the user decide I kinda like the bluish white...but as long as the screen is normal and that is the way its suppose to look is the main thing

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I took a photo of two XS MAX's to show the difference of screen at a different viewing angle. Mine is on the left, purchased on launch day. The one on the right is one purchased yesterday buy a friend directly from the Apple Store. There is a very noticeable pink Hue on the one right. Is the pink hue supposed to be there when the phone is tilted or is mine not right?

View attachment 792011

Apple Panel variation. lol.

I can't believe this is still going on.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
not sure if my screen is defective or not...anyone have an opinion on it? It seems warmer compared to my iPhone 6s+ looking at it with my eyes.

I'm not sure why you keep thinking your screen is defective. You seem to be one of few people who have posted a picture asking if their screen is ok - and appear to actually have a good screen. Having said that, I don't agree with people posting images of their screens because there are too many factors involved in producing an accurate representation. Also, you cannot really compare an LCD display with and OLED display. At the end of the day, only you can decide if you want to keep it or return it.

Last edited:

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Curious if this is a trend with certain storage capacities as well. What's everyones capacity that has a "good" or "yellow" screen?

I’ve had a Max 256 and Xs 256 both have warm/yellow screens. Max was FF and Xs is DN. We haven’t found any correlation, and many people complained with the X after iOS 12 their displays became desaturated / more yellow tinted...could be something there.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
You’ve swapped your phone 9 times, and you’re still going with a restore as opposed to setting up as new. Seems like a schoolboy error.

That doesn’t make any sense. Why wouldn’t I restore my backup if I intend to use this as my personal phone?

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
After having visited different places (in the UK) e.g. 2 Apple Stores and a couple of Carrier Provider shops I can see that 2018's iPhone Xs/Xs Max offer a warmer display setting (with Night Shift and True Tone setting off). Is it maybe a trend to protect our eyes against Blue Light? Or something coming from iOS 12? Only Apple can tell us :)

But it would be great to get rid of this topic (or issue :) ) by just having a proper setting where any user can setup White point and color Calibration as per her/his taste. Colors Filters tend to go in this way but this is rather a filter setting which degrade a bit the brightness or other screen features (I feel its not a proper/clean calibration/whited point setting).

Reactions: DanPH77

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
This is weird. I swear that over the last 24hrs my phone has "whitened" up quite a bit. I must admit that I have left TrueTone on and haven't played around with it anymore. Could it be that this is all connected to True Tone being falsely calibrated for the new phones / ambient light sensors? That would also explain the more blueish white a user above had on his XS with TT ON!

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
I’ve had a Max 256 and Xs 256 both have warm/yellow screens. Max was FF and Xs is DN. We haven’t found any correlation, and many people complained with the X after iOS 12 their displays became desaturated / more yellow tinted...could be something there.

Well I noticed my 7 was less punchy after ios12 update. They definitely turned down the brightness or depth of colors. I could tell immediately on the app icons like the messages in green and whatnot.

Reactions: DanPH77

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Well I noticed my 7 was less punchy after ios12 update. They definitely turned down the brightness or depth of colors. I could tell immediately on the app icons like the messages in green and whatnot.

I didn’t really notice on my 7plus from 11 to 12?

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

Your screen is fine. What do you care if it looks bad with TT off? Just leave it off. Also, turn off auto brightness, lock the phone, then unlock it. Your screen will then be as bright as the 6S

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
That doesn’t make any sense. Why wouldn’t I restore my backup if I intend to use this as my personal phone?

Because the first rule of avoiding strange issues is to not restore a backup and to set up as new. Backups can sometimes introduce strange configuration hangovers

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Because the first rule of avoiding strange issues is to not restore a backup and to set up as new. Backups can sometimes introduce strange configuration hangovers

Nah. Never have I ever encountered issues from restoring a backup. Are you insinuating that my display issues were caused by faulty restores? Because they were like this from the get go.

I always set up the iPhone XS devices as a new iPhone to test out the display first. If it’s all good, then I restore the XS to the latest beta via iTunes, because my previous personal phone was running a beta.

If you’ve seen my original uploads (pg 33/34), I’m showing the setup screen for ‘True Tone’ on both iPhone X and iPhone XS with varying color temperature. This part of the setup screen doesn’t appear if I restored from a backup. These are fresh restores, even the iPhone X was downgraded back to iOS 12. And all pics after that were shown without a backup restored.

8B73F4D3-52BD-4B31-BC93-5420E36824D8.jpeg

Reactions: William333

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
SMH. You realize you just let these guys charge you money (and quite a bit) to tell you how you should enjoy your TV.

Whites are yellow under professional calibrations. Colors are muted and washed. That's just what they determined is right for movies. And those calibrations are only good for pitch black movie theaters in homes. Very few people watch under those conditions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.