Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I’m fairly sure now that all iPhone XS have a dimmer white point, lack of contrast, and harsher True Tone. I think the aggressive True Tone is a bug, and I’m hoping not a manufacturing defect, because it’s not sensitive to cooler temperatures and favors warm a lot more.

I guess no one will ever notice if they never had an iPhone X, or received an iPhone X that had a superior display.

Anyway, even though my iPhone X has better contrast and True Tone, I can actually notice the ‘60% higher dynamic range’ on the new iPhone XS with old HDR photos I took with my iPhone X.

I always thought they were supposed to be the same display as last year’s, but they’re not.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
I'm not sure why you keep thinking your screen is defective. You seem to be one of few people who have posted a picture asking if their screen is ok - and appear to actually have a good screen. Having said that, I don't agree with people posting images of their screens because there are too many factors involved in producing an accurate representation. Also, you cannot really compare an LCD display with and OLED display. At the end of the day, only you can decide if you want to keep it or return it.

Pictures def dont. Video is the most accurate with what I see with my eyes. Is true tone suppose to give that "yellow" tint? Anyway I am comparing to the color temperature on my iPhone 6s+ that I am use to yes...but still an OLED should have a better color saturation and color temp of the screen it doesnt matter if its LCD or OLED...6500k is 6500k
[doublepost=1538993626][/doublepost]
After having visited different places (in the UK) e.g. 2 Apple Stores and a couple of Carrier Provider shops I can see that 2018's iPhone Xs/Xs Max offer a warmer display setting (with Night Shift and True Tone setting off). Is it maybe a trend to protect our eyes against Blue Light? Or something coming from iOS 12? Only Apple can tell us :)

But it would be great to get rid of this topic (or issue :) ) by just having a proper setting where any user can setup White point and color Calibration as per her/his taste. Colors Filters tend to go in this way but this is rather a filter setting which degrade a bit the brightness or other screen features (I feel its not a proper/clean calibration/whited point setting).
completely agree...you should be able to set according to preference. Its easy and old iOS had this feature. It would completely eliminate the issue.
[doublepost=1538993775][/doublepost]
Your screen is fine. What do you care if it looks bad with TT off? Just leave it off. Also, turn off auto brightness, lock the phone, then unlock it. Your screen will then be as bright as the 6S
Well is TT suppose to be that tint?
[doublepost=1538993987][/doublepost]
SMH. You realize you just let these guys charge you money (and quite a bit) to tell you how you should enjoy your TV.

Whites are yellow under professional calibrations. Colors are muted and washed. That's just what they determined is right for movies. And those calibrations are only good for pitch black movie theaters in homes. Very few people watch under those conditions.

You should be able to set based on preference bottom line. Who cares what a professional says. Everyone perceives what they consider "good" differently.
[doublepost=1538994176][/doublepost]
There’s definitely something up with True Tone and the Ambient Light Sensor on the iPhone XS this year.

I’m using Hue bulbs to change the room’s color (currently cyan at 100%), and my iPhone X and iPad Pro are casting a cooler temperature (more blue than white), but my iPhone XS is still warm, not even to it’s natural color temperature. It’s only until I raise the iPhone XS closer to the bulb is when the display shines a blue tint to it.

Not only that, but both iPhone X and XS have default brightness level settings, however the XS will drop to 0% (making it hard to see the display), whereas my X remains just comfortably dim in a dark room.

There must be a bug going on for the XS.

View attachment 792789

one on the right looks good. Just to confirm they both have TT on?

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
I've just come back from an electronics store comparing my XS Max screen to other phones (such as the Note 8 / 9; S8/9 and the Pixel 2 XL). My main conclusion is: OLED is crap. I get the higher contrast ratio you can get and the HDR functionality, the deeper blacks. But overall the panels were all rubbish. I thought the colour shift on mine was extreme, but the Samsung displays all went a into a sort of neon blue, while the Pixel 2 XL had a terrible screen. Dimmer, gray-ish with a strong shift at the slightest angle. My XS Max has a blue shift too when tilting forwards and backwards just slightly (at the very top and bottom), but seeing these other panels this has reinstated my faith that Apple is doing better than others... Still doesn't make me fully happy with the screen though. Both were no match for the "old" LCD panel on my iPhone 8 Plus. How strange, I'd choose a decent Apple LCD panel over OLED every time. But comparing the two, my XS Max is definitely warmer, but esp. the other Samsung panels tended to go too far into the blue spectrum. Although I prefer the cooler look of white (as on the 8 Plus / iMac / MBP / iPad Pro ...), the XS Max has a nicer screen overall.

I'm waiting for the one-off replacement, while compare and then make my final decision. It is still a very warm white and the calibration on the white point is off... But the way its looking I will probably keep my current XS Max. I just hope Apple gives us the chance to calibrate the white point on the screen ourselves. This would solve the problem straight away.

Also: Is it really a fact that OLED screens seem dimmer, but are actually brighter than LCD (as the 8+ LCD pierces my eyes at night on maximum brightness, while the XS Max seems more "paper" like and much softer)?

Last edited:

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Pictures def dont. Video is the most accurate with what I see with my eyes. Is true tone suppose to give that "yellow" tint? Anyway I am comparing to the color temperature on my iPhone 6s+ that I am use to yes...but still an OLED should have a better color saturation and color temp of the screen it doesnt matter if its LCD or OLED...6500k is 6500k
You do realise that the whole point of True Tone is that it alters the colour temperature of the screen based on the colour temperature of the ambient lighting? Unless the ambient lighting is 6500K then the OLED's colour temperature won't be 6500K with True Tone on, so of course it won't match the 6S...

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
When you guys say the screens arent uniform, do you mean that when looking at an angel up or down, part of the screen is blueish and part of it has this "yellow tint" that everyone is talking about?

I seem to have this problem, when looking directly at the screen, it is slightly yellow; I guess thats normal now?
But on an angel, I see my screen at about 70% blueish, and the bottom 30% seems to be more on the yellow/white side.

if this is the "uniform" problem, should I return it?

Jacc Sparrow

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Brooklyn Nyc
I started another thread, but I am on my 3rd Iphone Xs Max. I dont expect perfection BUT for the money I am paying my phone should be nice and bright. My sister in Law and her BF both of their phones have the yellowish tint and they are ok with that.

2q2ppjm.jpg

LEFT is 1st replacement device Right is display Model

amz9lz.jpg

My wifes iPhone X my first Iphone Max

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
My XS Max which I purchased two days ago seems to have a decent display. Without True Tone enabled, it tends to be a cooler white. It warms up with True Tone. Either setting looks OK to me, but I'm leaving True Tone off for now. The display has uniform brightness, with no color gradients. It has some blue shift when viewed at an angle, but that's not unusual with OLED. I don't notice the color shift when using it for normal viewing.

I'm pretty picky about displays, so I consider myself lucky. I returned a Macbook Pro many years ago that had a distinct color gradient from top to bottom. The replacement was a little better, but still unacceptable. No amount of calibration with a colorimeter could fix that. I also returned a Dell monitor once because the backlight uniformity was terrible. It varied in places by as much as 20 percent. I actually measured it with a light meter to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

It's very rare to find a perfect display. Once I find one that's pretty good, that becomes a keeper. Any minor flaws eventually go unnoticed once you start to actually use the device.

I have still to see a XS or XS Max without a gradient. Two Apple stores showed NONE without gradients. The vast majority were more pink towards the top. Two of my own showed gradients. So consider yourself extremely lucky. BTW when asking friends and family about the gradients on my Max, most can't see it even though to me its very obvious!

An Apple store staff member said that the phones on display ran a special iOS build that also contains the demo code. As although they had gradients they did appear whiter overall. The suggestion was that the display profile was different in that build.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I have still to see a XS or XS Max without a gradient. Two Apple stores showed NONE without gradients. The vast majority were more pink towards the top. Two of my own showed gradients. So consider yourself extremely lucky. BTW when asking friends and family about the gradients on my Max, most can't see it even though to me its very obvious!

An Apple store staff member said that the phones on display ran a special iOS build that also contains the demo code. As although they had gradients they did appear whiter overall. The suggestion was that the display profile was different in that build.

An Apple store staff member told me that the color shift would go away if I disabled live / perspective wallpaper. They pull stuff out of their behinds all the time. Not saying I have facts here. But it's ridiculous to me to believe that any code, demo or otherwise, has anything to do with gradient, color shift, or tint on the display devices. It is OLED variance and poor quality. They (Apple staff) either don't know what they are talking about or just want to get rid of annoying people like us who ask them ridiculous questions.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
You do realise that the whole point of True Tone is that it alters the colour temperature of the screen based on the colour temperature of the ambient lighting? Unless the ambient lighting is 6500K then the OLED's colour temperature won't be 6500K with True Tone on, so of course it won't match the 6S...

I took the pics under 7 100w 6500k lights. Hence why I mentioned it....

You do realise that you should try to be less condescending.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
98FB5510-A930-419D-855C-F1C89BE2E921.jpeg
[doublepost=1538993626][/doublepost]
completely agree...you should be able to set according to preference. Its easy and old iOS had this feature. It would completely eliminate the issue.
[doublepost=1538993775][/doublepost]
Well is TT suppose to be that tint?
[doublepost=1538993987][/doublepost]

You should be able to set based on preference bottom line. Who cares what a professional says. Everyone perceives what they consider "good" differently.
[doublepost=1538994176][/doublepost]

one on the right looks good. Just to confirm they both have TT on?

Yep! All my exchanges yielded to the same results. I think all iPhone XS models have aggressive True Tone that may be a bug.
[doublepost=1539022290][/doublepost]
I started another thread, but I am on my 3rd Iphone Xs Max. I dont expect perfection BUT for the money I am paying my phone should be nice and bright. My sister in Law and her BF both of their phones have the yellowish tint and they are ok with that.

2q2ppjm.jpg

LEFT is 1st replacement device Right is display Model

amz9lz.jpg

My wifes iPhone X my first Iphone Max

Looks like mine when I compare my iPhone X and iPhone XS.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
does the update 12.0.1 fix it at all I done a restore and seems whiter but could be a placebo

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I think all iPhone XS models have aggressive True Tone that may be a bug.

I don't know if it's a bug or not, however True Tone is definitely way more aggressive on the XS and unusable for me. My exchanged XS is much better than my first one in terms of the warm/yellow screen. I am very happy with the display (with TT off) when compared to my X. However if I turn TT on both phones, it is much more aggressive on the XS. Both are running 12, so it is is definitely the hardware. I am OK with it as I had it disabled on my X as well. I have a hard time imagining many people can be happy the way their XS looks with TT enabled.

Reactions: DanPH77

felsee

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I've had TT turned on during the last two days on purpose, since my 14 days return period ended last Friday. I thought about swapping my XS for a new one at first but I didn't buy the phone directly from apple and here in Austria it's all super complicated sending back the phone to your cellphone service provider, which takes up to two weeks until finally receiving a new one (+ they don't even have the XS in stock atm). I mean...after all it's just a phone and I will probably get the new model next year anyway.
I really have more important things to do right now than playing the screen lottery.. (finishing med school for example.....).

Funny thing is, that I got actually used to TT being enabled (despite the aggressive yellowness/warmth everybody mentions). I can't even notice the difference any more.
In addition I can definitely tell that when I'm outside, TT makes the screen more cool toned.

Reactions: Smoothie

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I took the pics under 7 100w 6500k lights. Hence why I mentioned it....

You do realise that you should try to be less condescending.
You should be clearer about what you’re claiming in your posts.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I just had the battery replaced on an iPhone 7. While the Apple guy was doing the intake, he wanted to make sure I'd done a backup just in case the phone got damaged during the replacement. He said if they caused any damage to the screen, for example, they'd install a new screen "and calibrate it." I didn't know that Apple has the ability to calibrate a screen at their stores. I suppose that, even if they do, it doesn't mean they'd do it for someone who's unhappy with the color temperature of a newly purchased device. They'd probably say it was already calibrated at the factory when the phone was assembled. It sure would be nice if people had the option of a re-calibration.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
If you’ve seen my original uploads (pg 33/34), I’m sho
I just had the battery replaced on an iPhone 7. While the Apple guy was doing the intake, he wanted to make sure I'd done a backup just in case the phone got damaged during the replacement. He said if they caused any damage to the screen, for example, they'd install a new screen "and calibrate it." I didn't know that Apple has the ability to calibrate a screen at their stores. I suppose that, even if they do, it doesn't mean they'd do it for someone who's unhappy with the color temperature of a newly purchased device. They'd probably say it was already calibrated at the factory when the phone was assembled. It sure would be nice if people had the option of a re-calibration.
it would be re-calibrated to factory specs, so wouldn't do much unless apple tweaked at the manufacturing level

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I don't know if it's a bug or not, however True Tone is definitely way more aggressive on the XS and unusable for me. My exchanged XS is much better than my first one in terms of the warm/yellow screen. I am very happy with the display (with TT off) when compared to my X. However if I turn TT on both phones, it is much more aggressive on the XS. Both are running 12, so it is is definitely the hardware. I am OK with it as I had it disabled on my X as well. I have a hard time imagining many people can be happy the way their XS looks with TT enabled.

It’s definitely time for Apple to start implementing True Tone’s intensity from Low, Medium, and High. It’s too aggressive, and not sensitive at all to blue lights.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018

So the X still has a cooler screen with TT on. Safe to assume Apple did indeed go with a warmer screen calibration; aside from those who got a far warmer screen. Has anyone got an XS that has better color saturation and similar cool screen?
[doublepost=1539079680][/doublepost]
TT is way to yellow
[doublepost=1539080062][/doublepost]
You should be clearer about what you’re claiming in your posts.
You should be more adept in choosing threads that are "useful" to you. Instead, like I stated before, you continue to choose to be condescending. Guess you still haven't figured that out after being a member on this forum for 12 years. But hey at least we both know you are good at tattling. Your move.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
So the X still has a cooler screen with TT on. Safe to assume Apple did indeed go with a warmer screen calibration; aside from those who got a far warmer screen. Has anyone got an XS that has better color saturation and similar cool screen?

This isn't confirmed. It's still too early. The X screens that shipped in the first 6-8 weeks looked exactly the same as the XS screens in this thread. People tried to claim a warmer calibration then too. In the next month or so, you'll see cooler XS screens, mark my words.

Reactions: madKIR

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
The X screens that shipped in the first 6-8 weeks looked exactly the same as the XS screens in this thread.

Yeah, no.

My X was preordered, received on launch day and had a perfect screen (as pictured earlier in this thread). My original XS ordered under the same conditions was crap (again, pictured side by side with the X). However the replacement XS, picked up at a local Apple store is comparable to the original X in terms of screen quality.

Reactions: William333

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Yeah, no.

My X was preordered, received on launch day and had a perfect screen (as pictured earlier in this thread). My original XS ordered under the same conditions was crap (again, pictured side by side with the X). However the replacement XS, picked up at a local Apple store is comparable to the original X in terms of screen quality.

LOL I guess you got me.

Yes, everyones mileage may vary, but in the first 6-8 weeks you are more likely to get a bad screen than after. So you got lucky with your X, unlucky on your first XS, and lucky again on your second XS. Many with the X, including myself, did not get lucky, and even after 4 swaps I couldn't get an X with a good screen, so I went 8+.

Reactions: madKIR

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
10 years of experience with buying iPhones. Happens every year, as discussed in this thread.
I've seen a lot of people say "buy another one in 6 weeks". However, I'm not sure this is reality based. All I can go on is my personal experience, however 3 out of 4 phones I have purchased for my family have had perfect displays over the past 2 years. At the same time I had several employees purchase the X in early January last year and have to exchange based due to crap screens.

I agree that iPhone screen quality is an issue as I have posted in this thread. I am just not sure that some of the theories stated here as fact (glue needs to dry, more likely to get a bad screen at launch, etc.) hold water.

I just feel fortunate to have what seem like solid phones and to be done this for this cycle. It's ridiculous to have to deal with it, but I am pot committed to the Apple ecosystem for now. As stated previously, I have no compunction whatsoever about returning until I am satisfied.

Last edited:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I've seen a lot of people say "buy another one in 6 weeks". However, I'm not sure this is reality based. All I can go on is my personal experience, however 3 out of 4 phones I have purchased for my family have had perfect displays over the past 2 years. At the same time I had several employees purchase the X in early January last year and have to exchange based due to crap screens.

I agree that iPhone screen quality is an issue as I have posted in this thread. I am just not sure that some of the theories stated here as fact (glue needs to dry, more likely to get a bad screen at launch, etc.) hold water.

Then do some scientific research, compile evidence, buy a bunch of phone and do testing.

Or just go with what many have found through first hand experience.

And no, it's never glue, glue isn't even used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.