Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Then do some scientific research, compile evidence, buy a bunch of phone and do testing.

Or just go with what many have found through first hand experience.

And no, it's never glue, glue isn't even used.

So how is the the LCD laminated to the glass?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Exactly. There is ton of misleading information restated as fact in this thread.

You cant really equate the two. The glue thing is wild ass speculation, not backed up by any facts. The screen thing is based on people looking at the screen and seeing a screen that doesn't look right. A yellow screen thread pops up at launch each year, and then about 6-8 weeks later we start seeing much better screens. That repeating pattern is more conclusive than some glue myth.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
You cant really equate the two. The glue thing is wild ass speculation, not backed up by any facts. The screen thing is based on people looking at the screen and seeing a screen that doesn't look right. A yellow screen thread pops up at launch each year, and then about 6-8 weeks later we start seeing much better screens. That repeating pattern is more conclusive than some glue myth.

We'll agree to disagree. I haven't seen any hard facts, data or anything conclusive on either theory. To me it's all speculation that is not reflective of my experiences. YMMV.

Anyway as my issues are resolved I will be moving on from this thread. Good luck to all with piss yellow screen phones. My advice is keep on returning. if you are happy with your display or not sure, stop following this thread and don't look back.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Don't agree on the 6-8 weeks bit either. My X was perfect and I got it on launch day. I know someone who ordered it 2 months later and mine looked far better. (Their's had a very noticeable yellow tint.) So there goes that theory.

Reactions: Tibits

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Don't agree on the 6-8 weeks bit either. My X was perfect and I got it on launch day. I know someone who ordered it 2 months later and mine looked far better. (Their's had a very noticeable yellow tint.) So there goes that theory.

LOL, no there does not go that theory. Your one experience does not equate to anything conclusive.

Keep in mind that not one time has anyone said that ALL launch phones are bad. I've said that the chances of getting a bad screen at launch are MORE LIKELY. That could mean if its a 1% chance normally, its a 2% chance at launch. Or it could be 35%/50%. We don't know. In either case, plenty of chance to still get a good screen at launch.

Yes, I'd love to cite a scientific study on this, but so far no one has tried to do one. I think it'd be a great piece for The Verge to do.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
I agree a study would be pretty interesting.

I mean I'm not surprised that panel quality would technically improve over the life of a product as QC becomes more polished. But it's such a variable thing.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It’s always been a lottery for all devices,

Sucks that they cant make a consistent screen on anything

Same with TVs. Portable gaming systems. Everything with a screen.

I wish it were an all or nothing thing like most components

CRT was the last time afaik it was never really a crapshoot or anything

Since LCD onward days, not so much

Even plasmas had variation but I think a lot less so

I think the worst lotteries Ive ever seen for Apple products have been iPad 3 and, sadly, iPhone X

Cant comment on XS/XS Max cause haven’t dabbled.

Last edited:
Reactions: William333

William333

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
My second replacement Max XS is piss yellow asked for another replacement this is my third one last one.
My iPhone X last year was so perfect nice true blue screen even with true tone on.
Even my cheap chinese no name phone £100 has a nice blue screen not been funny for £1099 this isn't acceptable at all.

Last edited:

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
Is there any picture, any example where we can see an iPhone Xs compared to an iPhone X side by side with a similar screen (or even better for the Xs)? So far looks like all iPhone Xs have warmer screens.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
It’s always been a lottery for all devices,

Sucks that they cant make a consistent screen on anything

Same with TVs. Portable gaming systems. Everything with a screen.

I wish it were an all or nothing thing like most components

CRT was the last time afaik it was never really a crapshoot or anything

Since LCD onward days, not so much

Even plasmas had variation but I think a lot less so

I think the worst lotteries Ive ever seen for Apple products have been iPad 3 and, sadly, iPhone X

Cant comment on XS/XS Max cause haven’t dabbled.
OMG! iPad 3! I totally forgot what a screen fiasco it was! Those screens were so uneven to the point of disgusting!
I totally agree on the lottery thing and it goes about almost every single Apple product. I’ve never had an iPhone that wasn’t swapped due to that!

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Is there any picture, any example where we can see an iPhone Xs compared to an iPhone X side by side with a similar screen (or even better for the Xs)? So far looks like all iPhone Xs have warmer screens.

Here you are. Two X next to an XS Max. All with same TT settings, max brightness

First one is X 64GB, second X 256GB and third XS MAX 256GB.

All of them look more or less the same to my eye

Attachments

• 969E5B1F-C932-405E-8B8A-F909A21CC796.jpeg
    969E5B1F-C932-405E-8B8A-F909A21CC796.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 417
Last edited:

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Here you are. Two X next to an XS Max. All with same TT settings, max brightness

First one is X 64GB, second X 256GB and third XS MAX 256GB.

All of them look more or less the same to my eye

Your max is a little more warm and colors look washed out like most Xs/Xs Max.

Reactions: madKIR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.