Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Well I'm returning my Xs. I was taking some pictures today and noticed I have a black smudge on every single picture, I cleaned the lens and it's still there, it's something under the lens, maybe dust? That and my cell signal is weak, and my screen is very warm / yellow, this find was the kicker. Maybe I'll get a phone without defects this time? :|

Xs Max -> Xs -> Xs. Third times a charm? I'll let you guys know the results later in the week.
[doublepost=1538873583][/doublepost] 206AF994-2DBC-47D2-B150-A9BC5593A24A.jpeg B74C9505-B4ED-4B9F-B9B1-0DD5DE295045.jpeg

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
Well I'm returning my Xs. I was taking some pictures today and noticed I have a black smudge on every single picture, I cleaned the lens and it's still there, it's something under the lens, maybe dust? That and my cell signal is weak, and my screen is very warm / yellow, this find was the kicker. Maybe I'll get a phone without defects this time? :|

Xs Max -> Xs -> Xs. Third times a charm? I'll let you guys know the results later in the week.
[doublepost=1538873583][/doublepost] View attachment 792750 View attachment 792751

Are you getting the devices from Apple or fro the carrier?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Just a thought which I don’t think anyone has mentioned in the thread. One of the downsides of OLED is that the blue pixels fade fastest. What if Apple has deliberately made a change to a warmer screen in an effort to prolong the useful life of the display by dialling back on the blue?

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
So, True Tone can also force the screen to display a more natural white if tricked. Enabling TT while having it extremely close to a monitor displaying a blue wallpaper (then basically pressing the phone to the monitor once enabled) pushes the white point closer to 6500k which I find pretty interesting. I want a manual TT white point slider (like Night Shift).

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
There’s definitely something up with True Tone and the Ambient Light Sensor on the iPhone XS this year.

I’m using Hue bulbs to change the room’s color (currently cyan at 100%), and my iPhone X and iPad Pro are casting a cooler temperature (more blue than white), but my iPhone XS is still warm, not even to it’s natural color temperature. It’s only until I raise the iPhone XS closer to the bulb is when the display shines a blue tint to it.

Not only that, but both iPhone X and XS have default brightness level settings, however the XS will drop to 0% (making it hard to see the display), whereas my X remains just comfortably dim in a dark room.

There must be a bug going on for the XS.

6F2053F6-DD1E-4FFD-B4F6-57AB3482EA8C.jpeg

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Your screen is fine. What do you care if it looks bad with TT off? Just leave it off. Also, turn off auto brightness, lock the phone, then unlock it. Your screen will then be as bright as the 6S
His screen is not fine..Im also confused as to why you would even say its fine and try to rationilize and blantantly overlook a flaw
[doublepost=1538891449][/doublepost]Supposed to be a fixhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1nZvFF20Y

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
Thats crazy it should be the other way around.

CC
Not really. TT doesn't just turn your even yellow. It changes the hue depending on the lighting in the room you're in.
[doublepost=1538893140][/doublepost]
How's my screen?

TT on/off doesn't seem to make a difference.
I can see that the bottom has more of a greenish tint than the top.
[doublepost=1538893347][/doublepost]
Looks good to me. Displays up to 6s had slightly bluer white point. 7 onward they made it a bit warm.
That looks good to you? It looks pink lol.
[doublepost=1538893455][/doublepost]
That doesn’t make any sense. Why wouldn’t I restore my backup if I intend to use this as my personal phone?
Because restoring of backups can cause some issues if coming from an older device or older software. I always set up as new on any new device.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Not really. TT doesn't just turn your even yellow. It changes the hue depending on the lighting in the room you're in.
[doublepost=1538893140][/doublepost]
I can see that the bottom has more of a greenish tint than the top.
[doublepost=1538893347][/doublepost]
That looks good to you? It looks pink lol.
[doublepost=1538893455][/doublepost]
Because restoring of backups can cause some issues if coming from an older device or older software. I always set up as new on any new device.

No it doesn’t, it’s all in your head.

If restoring backups caused issues more than benefit the user, then Apple would would be criticized for this and they would address this.

No one should have to start from scratch with every new device, that’s just ridiculous, time consuming, and just a waste of time.

Reactions: DanPH77 and doboy

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
No it doesn’t, it’s all in your head.

If restoring backups caused issues more than benefit the user, then Apple would would be criticized for this and they would address this.

No one should have to start from scratch with every new device, that’s just ridiculous, time consuming, and just a waste of time.
I've seen many people have problems when restoring backups. I'm pretty sure I've also had an issue or two doing it. Just because you have yet to have a problem doesn't mean they don't exist. You aren't the only person in the world, ya know?

Reactions: bleak7

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I've seen many people have problems when restoring backups. I'm pretty sure I've also had an issue or two doing it. Just because you have yet to have a problem doesn't mean they don't exist. You aren't the only person in the world, ya know?

Well of course. But it shouldn’t be common practice to always start fresh. And shouldn’t be a rule to resort to.

Reactions: doboy

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Screen calibration is not altered by backups... if it was that simple, wiping the phone would fix the problem.

Reactions: DanPH77

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Maybe being the yellow “tint” your describing is natural and the blue tint is what’s not normal?

This is correct. A properly calibrated screen is warm, not cold. Also True Tone doesn’t just make the screen yellow. It matches the ambient light. So it will slightly change to any color.

People who prefer a blue screen will have to struggle with this with all apple devices. Unless they add a way to change temperature.

Also too much blue light is not good for you

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
His screen is not fine..Im also confused as to why you would even say its fine and try to rationilize and blantantly overlook a flaw
[doublepost=1538891449][/doublepost]Supposed to be a fixhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS1nZvFF20Y

His screen is fine. No need to be confused as I'm not rationalizing anything. He doesn't like the way the screen looks with true tone so he can just leave it off. Thanks for your insight though.

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
So I feel like True Tone or something is still active even if we're turning it off. Last week I bought my 2nd iPhone because I wasn't happy with the warmth of my launch day one. I turn it on in my kitchen and it looked nice and cool when I turned TT off. As I'm setting it up in my bedroom waiting for apps to finish downloading, it starts to look warm to me. But in my mind, it still looks better than my first iPhone and now I figure my return period is extended by another week so I return my first iPhone.
Days to come I keep using it and just not happy with the warmth. This past Friday I bought another iPhone (not an exchange, bought another outright and kept my 2nd iPhone) but due to unrelated circumstances I just unboxed that iPhone today. I turn it on in my kitchen again and when I get to the part of setup to turn True Tone off it looked nice and cool! I was happy but then I noticed a "knick" in the display so I didn't bother continuing with setup and went to the Apple Store and exchanged it.
Just got home a little while ago, turn the new phone on (technically now my 4th) in the kitchen again and get to the setup part where I can compare True Tone on and off. Again, I'm happy because with it off the screen looks nice and cool!
Now I'm sitting in my bedroom with this latest iPhone and the more I look at the display while the apps are syncing up the more it looks warm to me again. I go into the settings to toggle True Tone on/off and the display does nothing! Literally no change! And I know it's functioning because in my kitchen I could see a very clear and distinct difference with it on vs. off.
So I grab my "older iPhone" (the second one) and perform the same test. In my kitchen TT on vs. off is a noticeable change. Take it into my bedroom, toggle it on and off and no change in the screen.

Has anyone else performed similar "tests" and seeing the same outcome? It's feeling more like software related than anything else. Don't get me wrong, some phones I've seen here are definitely piss yellow and that's a problem. None of the iPhones I had were that bad. Just warmer (with TrueTone "off") than my X was and my iPad Pro is.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I think this is a software bug with how TT reacts to light. But I’m sure somehow people will make a return back to the store for replacement number 5, 6, or 10.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
So I feel like True Tone or something is still active even if we're turning it off. Last week I bought my 2nd iPhone because I wasn't happy with the warmth of my launch day one. I turn it on in my kitchen and it looked nice and cool when I turned TT off. As I'm setting it up in my bedroom waiting for apps to finish downloading, it starts to look warm to me. But in my mind, it still looks better than my first iPhone and now I figure my return period is extended by another week so I return my first iPhone.
Days to come I keep using it and just not happy with the warmth. This past Friday I bought another iPhone (not an exchange, bought another outright and kept my 2nd iPhone) but due to unrelated circumstances I just unboxed that iPhone today. I turn it on in my kitchen again and when I get to the part of setup to turn True Tone off it looked nice and cool! I was happy but then I noticed a "knick" in the display so I didn't bother continuing with setup and went to the Apple Store and exchanged it.
Just got home a little while ago, turn the new phone on (technically now my 4th) in the kitchen again and get to the setup part where I can compare True Tone on and off. Again, I'm happy because with it off the screen looks nice and cool!
Now I'm sitting in my bedroom with this latest iPhone and the more I look at the display while the apps are syncing up the more it looks warm to me again. I go into the settings to toggle True Tone on/off and the display does nothing! Literally no change! And I know it's functioning because in my kitchen I could see a very clear and distinct difference with it on vs. off.
So I grab my "older iPhone" (the second one) and perform the same test. In my kitchen TT on vs. off is a noticeable change. Take it into my bedroom, toggle it on and off and no change in the screen.

Has anyone else performed similar "tests" and seeing the same outcome? It's feeling more like software related than anything else. Don't get me wrong, some phones I've seen here are definitely piss yellow and that's a problem. None of the iPhones I had were that bad. Just warmer (with TrueTone "off") than my X was and my iPad Pro is.

I think True Tone is really disabled when you toggle it off.

Maybe when you thought the display was nice and cool, it was actually True Tone cooling your display? True Tone warms and cools your display.

If it’s yellow without True Tone, then maybe make a swap. There are phones out there with less yellow.

Reactions: Statusnone88

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
I think True Tone is really disabled when you toggle it off.

Maybe when you thought the display was nice and cool, it was actually True Tone cooling your display? True Tone warms and cools your display.

If it’s yellow without True Tone, then maybe make a swap. There are phones out there with less yellow.

I'd agree with that if it weren't for seeing what I just saw. There's clearly something wrong when there's a noticable difference in TT on vs off in one room and NO difference in another room. Clearly the lighting in rooms are affecting these devices regardless of the TT setting.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Not to add more fuel to the fire...but looks there are several displays with inconsistent "OLED" bleed when viewing things such as the clock app in low brightness. Some of my devices had yellow hues in some areas. (Apparently it's visible in iBooks too.) Looks like backlight bleed but on near-black "grey" backgrounds when the pixels are just barely on.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Not to add more fuel to the fire...but looks there are several displays with inconsistent "OLED" bleed when viewing things such as the clock app in low brightness. Some of my devices had yellow hues in some areas. (Apparently it's visible in iBooks too.) Looks like backlight bleed but on near-black "grey" backgrounds when the pixels are just barely on.
iPhone X - iPhone X Display uniformity problem | MacRumors Forumshttps://forums.macrumors.com › iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch › iPhone › iPhone

Very common with X and XS. Not in relation to this thread though.

Reactions: shadow82x

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
My XS Max which I purchased two days ago seems to have a decent display. Without True Tone enabled, it tends to be a cooler white. It warms up with True Tone. Either setting looks OK to me, but I'm leaving True Tone off for now. The display has uniform brightness, with no color gradients. It has some blue shift when viewed at an angle, but that's not unusual with OLED. I don't notice the color shift when using it for normal viewing.

I'm pretty picky about displays, so I consider myself lucky. I returned a Macbook Pro many years ago that had a distinct color gradient from top to bottom. The replacement was a little better, but still unacceptable. No amount of calibration with a colorimeter could fix that. I also returned a Dell monitor once because the backlight uniformity was terrible. It varied in places by as much as 20 percent. I actually measured it with a light meter to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

It's very rare to find a perfect display. Once I find one that's pretty good, that becomes a keeper. Any minor flaws eventually go unnoticed once you start to actually use the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.