Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I suppose people didn’t expect these issues to be following them from LCD to OLED. I’ve never had issues myself either, but I’ve seen many examples where I’d be unhappy if I had got unlucky. The problem for Apple is the likes of Samsung and other high end Android OEM’s appear to be selling phones with better quality panels and have done for many years where these issues cease to exist. Apple charge a massive premium and people expect identical quality if not better.

Yet people don't understand display calibration at all. If you put two displays from two different manufacturers side by side they may not have the same calibration because display calibration also depends on lighting conditions where you are viewing it which means factory calibration may not be perfect. True Tone is meant to correct this since you are not going to use your phone in a single place like you would a desktop display.

On top of that humans have very unreliable color vision. It can be fooled by having a different color object right next to it as well as lighting plus individuals perceive colors in different ways. I can look at my previous phone and on its own it looks perfectly fine to me but put next to my iPhone I can see it has a blue tint. We are also quick to adapt, for example I felt the most accurate default color setting on my Samsung TV looked too warm initially (coming from a more blue-tinted setting) but now it looks just right.

Of course there are also real problems like display uniformity but people are quick to say that their phone does not look right when it looks different from what they are used to, even if it might be a more accurate calibration.

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
View attachment 790813
I do have a picture of an X and an Xs side by side. Both devices are registered to me.
The Xs has a yellower tint. The X is bluish white. Same settings on both.
I find the yellow tint to be undesirable, but Apple believes the yellow tint is healthier for our vision..hence tru-tone?
What IOS is on that iPhone X! Maybe it is IOS 12 thing on Xs.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yet people don't understand display calibration at all. If you put two displays from two different manufacturers side by side they may not have the same calibration because display calibration also depends on lighting conditions where you are viewing it which means factory calibration may not be perfect. True Tone is meant to correct this since you are not going to use your phone in a single place like you would a desktop display.

On top of that humans have very unreliable color vision. It can be fooled by having a different color object right next to it as well as lighting plus individuals perceive colors in different ways. I can look at my previous phone and on its own it looks perfectly fine to me but put next to my iPhone I can see it has a blue tint. We are also quick to adapt, for example I felt the most accurate default color setting on my Samsung TV looked too warm initially (coming from a more blue-tinted setting) but now it looks just right.

Of course there are also real problems like display uniformity but people are quick to say that their phone does not look right when it looks different from what they are used to, even if it might be a more accurate calibration.

What are Apple doing to educate consumers about the science of screen calibration in order to prevent the massive headache that is brewing when thousands of people will be exchanging their iPhones? We’ve got people here saying the screens are more yellow and patchy than they experienced on the iPhone X and if there really is a legitimate and acceptable reason for this, then companies would be wise to address it. I understand what you are saying but the general consumer is going to expect their phone to look like their associates. It’s difficult the explain manufacturing tolerances to the average joe and expect them to be fine with it if it’s not to their liking.

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017

I understand the basics of screen calibration and use my devices professionally, that's why accurate colour reproduction is important to me. How can one explain that my XS Max is the only device I have that stands out (TT off, max. brightness) and has a clear yellow hue? I'm comparing this to iMac / MBP 2018 / iPad Pro / iPhone 8 Plus.

That's why - for the first time - an Apple device display out of the box obviously has issues. I've always had great displays, but it just doesn't hold up this time and its very disappointing (including a lot of the criticism people are getting on this thread for pointing this out).

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Received my Xs last night. I compared the screen to my X and the Xs definitely has a warmer tone. Even showed it to my wife and she said my X screen was cooler (yes, True Tone was off on both devices). I signed up for IUP, so I'm debating whether to just return the Xs and continue using my X or go to my local Apple Store and exchange it.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Received my Xs last night. I compared the screen to my X and the Xs definitely has a warmer tone. Even showed it to my wife and she said my X screen was cooler (yes, True Tone was off on both devices). I signed up for IUP, so I'm debating whether to just return the Xs and continue using my X or go to my local Apple Store and exchange it.
I think you’re wasting your time exchanging it if your phone has an even color temperature. I would either learn to live with the Xs or just return it.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I think you’re wasting your time exchanging it if your phone has an even color temperature. I would either learn to live with the Xs or just return it.

Yeah I'm either just going to return it and keep my X or live with it. I'm not a fan of playing the exchange game.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
View attachment 791289 My wife’s screen. I think it looks pretty good but maybe I’m losing my mind. Thoughts?
That screen is fine. It isn't too warm and looks just right. I can tell this one probably shifts slight pink then blue at an angle just by your photo. This is what I've seen on all of the XS I've taken a look at, except for two, which only shifted to blue. All have had the same narrow viewing angle.

Every single XS I've viewed is "warm" out of the box / display models. Some have duller / less bright white than others, but in terms of temperature, this warmer temp is the norm for the XS and is actually how it should look (in my opinion). Very yellow is abnormal / defective obviously. Take it or leave it and stop looking for the golden goose folks. You'll be looking forever. I stopped the insanity and limited myself to two phones / attempts. Let it go and either enjoy the phone for what it is - a fantastic phone in every way that has color shift - or return it and look elsewhere / get the XR. Not worth the frustration.

Reactions: evorc and Wags

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
That screen is fine. It isn't too warm and looks just right. I can tell this one probably shifts slight pink then blue at an angle just by your photo. This is what I've seen on all of the XS I've taken a look at, except for two, which only shifted to blue. All have had the same narrow viewing angle.

Every single XS I've viewed is "warm" out of the box. Some have duller / less bright white than others, but in terms of temperature, this warmer temp is the norm for the XS and is actually how it should look (in my opinion). Very yellow is abnormal / defective obviously. Take it or leave it and stop looking for the golden goose folks. You'll be looking forever. I stopped the insanity and limited myself to two phones / attempts. Let it go and either enjoy the phone for what it is - a fantastic phone in every way that has color shift - or return it and look elsewhere / get the XR. Not worth the frustration.

Unfortunately, I agree. That said, I hope Apple gives us something better than tint to adjust white point. Tint is not an acceptable fix as it’s way too aggressive.

Reactions: Harthag

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
I would agree. I am done exchanging. Between uniformity and a slightly warmer screen, I would want a uniform screen. My first one had a warm top and a pink bottom. Of course, I want both issues to be resolved.

Or, vote with your dollars. I am seriously considering just returning my Max and staying with my X for another year. For $1800, I should be extremely happy about the product and I am not.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
I returned my DN last night and got a C3. It is far more uniform with far less color shift. It is a little less bright and the colors don't seem to pop quite as much as my DN, but the overall user experience is better. Just wish the colors were brighter on photos...

Hotdogs

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Pathetic how they need to buy screens from a competitor. It’s a cuthroat competition, and without doubt the competition is giving Apple inferior screens. I’m done with Apple. I’m switching to a Samsung Android.

Last edited by a moderator:

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Pathetic how they need to buy screens from a competitor. It’s a cuthroat competition, and without doubt the competition is giving Apple inferior screens. I’m done with Apple. I’m switching to a Samsung Android.
I didn't know Apple used to manufacture their own screens LOL They have always sourced them from either LG or Samsung, and some other vendors. Isn't it what any electronic company does? Frankly speaking, they had worse screens than these: the iPhone 5 had a very annoying issue with interlacing lines on some units. It all comes down to being a mass product. Samsung phones are no different HAHA

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I work at a retail carrier store, and we have been selling a lot of the Xs/Max, I will say about 70% of the ones I’ve seen go out have warm displays, it’s easy to tell if they will have a good display or not based on the initial True Tone, the warm displays have A LOT more yellow/orange in the True Tone, and the cooler screens with True Tone it’s not nearly as jarring, and during set up you can view with and without. I have some hope that when I return my Max tomorrow for an Xs I can potentially get a good display...they are out there...

With so much variation in displays idk if it’s a software issue like some have suggested

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Be interesting to see if 12.1 beta 2 makes a difference for those suffering, as my screen looks a little “different” since I installed it....

Lucky555

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
How is my screen?
22698C68-7F6C-4CFA-A9ED-8E2676EF3C15.jpeg
E7B7D49B-E3E9-40BE-B5D2-F3AC83039F3A.jpeg

Itsjustcole

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
What’s the consensus on the screens cooling over time? I swear my iPhone X cooled dramatically over time. It felt super yellow when I first got it, and now it looks super crisp next to any other phone. I’ve got 3 days left to return/exchange, so I’m curious of others thoughts on this.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
I'm been reading all 41 pages and Just got my phone swap out at apple, I cant tell if my new one is any better but my new S/N starts with F2 and my previous one started with FF

does that mean I have a good one now or the S/N dont really matter?

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA

Every single XS I've viewed is "warm" out of the box / display models. Some have duller / less bright white than others, but in terms of temperature, this warmer temp is the norm for the XS and is actually how it should look (in my opinion). Very yellow is abnormal / defective obviously. Take it or leave it and stop looking for the golden goose folks. You'll be looking forever. I stopped the insanity and limited myself to two phones / attempts. Let it go and either enjoy the phone for what it is - a fantastic phone in every way that has color shift - or return it and look elsewhere / get the XR. Not worth the frustration.
Agree also. The normal ones that I have seen are just slightly warmer. Maybe even making it slightly clearer. I have seen the terrible displays posted here though.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
If my spotify and clock apps are grey, not black, does that mean my display is faulty? Seems like they are actually grey now...

andreipavel

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
How do you think mine looks? It is definitely warmer than my girlfriend's X, but it seems quite uniform.

Attachments

• IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 388
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.