Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
So if my only issues are pink gradient with a yellow > pink > blue shift, you think I should just keep it vs risk it? It looks good dead on, but I rarely look at it from that angle, so it's almost always compromised. It looks light pink most of the time. Seems like many units have these issues.

Last edited:

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I noticed it to an extent right away, also shifts a little blue when I tilt it. After about 5 minutes of using it I adjusted without issue, it's a beautiful display, probably worth at least trying out for a little while.

Reactions: AdamA9

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
EVERYONE WAIT AND STOP RIGHT THERE!

I've noticed that depending on when I switch True Tone on and off, the white point shifts accordingly. True Tone also doesn't turn the screen yellow to the same extent every time in the same environment. I spoke to Apple Care and - according to the person I spoke to - there may be some problem with a new ambient light sensor on the XS. They tested mine and said it passed the test but were aware of the fact that recalibration might be needed. I'm not sure if this is something that can be carried out via an iOS Update. I just wished they could give us a calibration option like on macOS, as the screen is faultless just not the right colour temperature. It could so easily be fixed by us...

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

I've noticed that depending on when I switch True Tone on and off, the white point shifts accordingly. True Tone also doesn't turn the screen yellow to the same extent every time in the same environment. I spoke to Apple Care and - according to the person I spoke to - there may be some problem with a new ambient light sensor on the XS. They tested mine and said it passed the test but were aware of the fact that recalibration might be needed. I'm not sure if this is something that can be carried out via an iOS Update. I just wished they could give us a calibration option like on macOS, as the screen is faultless just not the right colour temperature. It could so easily be fixed by us...

This has nothing to do with True Tone. In all these cases, True Tone was switched completely off.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
This has nothing to do with True Tone. In all these cases, True Tone was switched completely off.
Did you not read what I wrote? The yellow hue on the screen changed, depending on the environment I first set off with (True Tone on / off). My (and the Apple Care guy) deduction is, it has to be software related (which also explains why the screen gets so yellow, even those XS with screens perceived to be perfect!

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Did you not read what I wrote? The yellow hue on the screen changed, depending on the environment I first set off with (True Tone on / off). My (and the Apple Care guy) deduction is, it has to be software related (which also explains why the screen gets so yellow, even those XS with screens perceived to be perfect!

You still aren't communicating clearly. Are you trying to say that even with TT off, the screen changes?

No, it doesn't. The screen can look different depending on the lighting conditions you are in, but the screen itself isn't changing. Only with True Tone on does the screen change color temperature.

This thread is for issues with color temperature with True Tone Off. This is when comparing, in the same lighting conditions, to a known good phone like a good X or apple Display model.

Reactions: symphony

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
You still aren't communicating clearly. Are you trying to say that even with TT off, the screen changes?

No, it doesn't. The screen can look different depending on the lighting conditions you are in, but the screen itself isn't changing. Only with True Tone on does the screen change color temperature.

This thread is for issues with color temperature with True Tone Off. This is when comparing, in the same lighting conditions, to a known good phone like a good X or apple Display model.

I honestly don't know what is so difficult to understand: Playing around with True Tone and going back to turning it off resulted in different colour temperatures of the screen - depending on the environment (dark room / out in the sun etc.) - I start off with. That's as concise as I can possibly put it.

To me that sounds like a misconfiguration of the sensor used for True Tone. That also explains why the XS models seem to go so overboard with True Tone turned on.

And as you may have read above: I'm also affected but a yellow-ish screen.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

Because AppleCare and / or geniuses are always right...SMH...I showed a tech at the Apple store the terrible color shift on the phone that I returned and she told me that turning off live wallpaper will resolve the color shift. I almost wanted to throw my $1000 phone through the glass window in disbelief at that response.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
How do you think mine looks? I personally don’t mind it and it looks fine for my eyes.

I thought it looked like the description of mine. But then I realized what I saw could be my phone's display of your phone, so it's hard to tell.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I honestly don't know what is so difficult to understand: Playing around with True Tone and going back to turning it off resulted in different colour temperatures of the screen - depending on the environment (dark room / out in the sun etc.) - I start off with. That's as concise as I can possibly put it.

To me that sounds like a misconfiguration of the sensor used for True Tone. That also explains why the XS models seem to go so overboard with True Tone turned on.

And as you may have read above: I'm also affected but a yellow-ish screen.

As mentioned, your screen isn't shifting. Its the lighting conditions that make the screen look different. For example, in bright sunlight, your screen may look less warm, true tone or not. The screen itself isn't changing in this instance, it's just the lighting conditions you are in. Weather or not you just switched off true tone, your screen would have looked the same had you left true tone off and simply moved from an indoor location to the outside. This has nothing to do with True tone or the sensors on the phone.

In order to actually compare, you need a reference phone to compare to. If your phone looks less warm in sunlight, the other phone will look even cooler. Trying to compare the same screen in different lighting to itself will not help you with this issue.

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
As mentioned, your screen isn't shifting. Its the lighting conditions that make the screen look different. For example, in bright sunlight, your screen may look less warm, true tone or not. The screen itself isn't changing in this instance, it's just the lighting conditions you are in. Weather or not you just switched off true tone, your screen would have looked the same had you left true tone off and simply moved from an indoor location to the outside. This has nothing to do with True tone or the sensors on the phone.

In order to actually compare, you need a reference phone to compare to. If your phone looks less warm in sunlight, the other phone will look even cooler. Trying to compare the same screen in different lighting to itself will not help you with this issue.
I (nearly) give up. Obviously (!) I have reference devices (calibrated MBP and iPad Pro) which have an identical colour temperature. I'm not comparing apples with pears here... I'm comparing the XS Max screen in identical lighting conditions, after "setting off" with different environments with True Tone (please read above). Same lighting, different colour on the XS Max. And that's in comparison with the other devices.

Most of the Apple Care help is BS and I skip though by asking for second level support. If asked if I could please reset my device I always answer: I've already done that. Apple "genius" agreed to the problem, but some of the things we are seeing in this thread could be related to the TT sensor. He's forwarding it to higher levels. In the meantime I'll be stopping by my closest Apple Store to inspect the devices there and ask to get an exchange (but open it there an then).

Last edited:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I give up.

I will too after this. I perfectly understand what you are trying to say, I'm just telling you that your assumptions are incorrect.

You are trying to say that in different lighting conditions, switching true tone off will result in a different level of yellowness to your screen.

I am telling you that the level of "yellowness" on your screen will be the same regardless of if you first switch true tone off or not. Screens look different in different lighting conditions, which is why you can only compare to a reference device in the same lighting.

Hope that helps.

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
I must have got lucky this go round. First I went into apple store and made sure my max and the max in the store had the exact same settings. And my phone was brighter and whiter than theirs. Then I went into costco to compare maxes and costco max had a horrible pink tint at the slightest angle. The worker said they could see a huge difference.. I guess my phone is one of the good I ones

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
E08EB4D3-351C-4327-83D9-FE272EC1B93B.png Here is my screen shot. I had someone tell me they thought I had a bad screen. I don’t think so.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
I don’t have another camera to take a picture with, so I did the best I could with what I have. Sorry you guys think I am stupid.

Itsjustcole

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
Haha. It’s just a common sense thing, but I get ya. Even if you did have the means to take a picture, it’s difficult to tell the extent of your problem without a proper comparison, side by side.

Reactions: Statusnone88

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
Why not just adjust the tint and intensity in settings? It worked fine.
It's a bandaid, if anything. Not a true calibration. And sadly it doesn't seem to affect everything on the screen. For example, my display by default is MUCH warmer than I prefer. I turned on the color tint to blue and I'm actually REALLY happy with the outcome, even though I know this isn't a true RGB/white point calibration. On top of that, when I get notifications while I'm using the phone, they do not come through with the color tint applied. They're the default/native display color. So that is constantly serving as a reminder I have a screen I am less than happy with.

I'm definitely buying a new one this weekend in hopes of finding a cooler display.

Reactions: Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I'm amazed at how so many iPhone users think a screenshot will show their actual screen. Facepalms.

Fixed. Just being sarcastic, couldn't resist throwing in an Android vs. iPhone jab.

Why not just adjust the tint and intensity in settings? It worked fine.

More to it than that, it just adds a color filter and messes with other colors. Most enthusiasts here agree this can't fix an - abnormally- yellow screen. Vast majority of people, sure, it'll help. Whatever floats your boat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.