Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
True Tone on the Xs Max is just way too aggressive at making whites look dingy dirty. Max on left and 8 Plus on right

First image is True Tone enabled on both.

Second image is True Tone disabled on both. The 8 Plus is way brighter at Max setting and whiter, which is why the text appears washed out but in real life it’s clearer.

This is my first OLED device and I’m not impressed. I don’t stare at black screens all day where it makes a visible difference. The Max in the pictures is actually my second Max. The first Max has even worse yellow whites and is going to be returned because WiFi intermittently stopped working on it.

Yep, I’ve noticed True Tone being too aggressive on the XS, however it doesn’t seem to be that way with every XS, as my original iPhone XS Max had a nice True Tone effect. I think True Tone makes it worse if the display by itself has a warm/yellow white point.

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
This thread and forum is dangerous. I stopped checking for every issue mentioned on this forum along time ago and now just enjoy my phone. Also I’m on the iup so only keep it for next year.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
That's kinda what mine looks like. Sight gradient from top to bottom, more pink towards the top. Unless the pink gradient I'm seeing is actually my phone. Lol.Tried to take a pic of mine with my X, but you can't see the pink for some reason.

The gradient is there on most phones this year. Btw I have showed family and friends this problem on my phone. Many of them can’t see what I am talking about and think I am mad. Although I am sure there are a few golden samples around, when some say their phone is perfect, you may not agree with them if you have more sensitive vision between colour shades.

I don’t buy this factory specific thing at all. Samsung supply the panels and they are all distributed across the factories. It’s a lucky dip from wherever it is made.

It’s Samsung that have dropped the ball here and hopefully Apple will give them a swift kick up the backside and later batches will improve.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Yeah, they get a cherry picked one every year. So do the reviewers. Apple isn't stupid, they know their tolerances are super loose around launch. Its 100% intentional in order to allow for greater yields when demand is highest. Lets be honest - not everyone will notice or care, so I guess I don't blame them. But it's up to us to beat them at their own game.

It’s true and from a business perspective, defective returns are probably very low compared to the volume they sell. They are probably happy to accept repeat returns which allows QC to slip in order for output to ramp up - as a result, there’ll be defective launch units floating.

Bottom line, keep returning I until defect free.

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
Mine has gotten less yellow, but only in about the bottom quarter. Now the screen isn't uniform, which is quite noticeable. I've changed the screen temperature again and I am fairly happy with the results. I'm just wondering if this is "life" of OLED screens and shouldn't worry. I'm near the closest Apple Store on Wednesday (2hrs drive) and thinking about going in and having a look at the demo units. If I see they produce a similar colour then I probably should stop worrying. Should they all have a (at least perceived by me) better white point, exchange on the spot is probably the way to go.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Mine has gotten less yellow, but only in about the bottom quarter. Now the screen isn't uniform, which is quite noticeable. I've changed the screen temperature again and I am fairly happy with the results. I'm just wondering if this is "life" of OLED screens and shouldn't worry. I'm near the closest Apple Store on Wednesday (2hrs drive) and thinking about going in and having a look at the demo units. If I see they produce a similar colour then I probably should stop worrying. Should they all have a (at least perceived by me) better white point, exchange on the spot is probably the way to go.

Funnily enough that happened with my X . It started with a very even screen and then a slight gradient appeared over the first few weeks. But my XS max gradient is more noticeable

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
You don't think phones manipulate all the images posted in this thread?

And herein lies the problem.....

Someone has an issue with their screen, so they take a photo of it. Problem 1, the photo will not be a true reflection of the screen they are taking a photo of as the camera will manipulate the picture. They will then upload that picture somewhere to make it available in the forum. Problem 2, the upload may compress or change the format of the picture causing another level of inaccuracy. Then we view that picture from our own devices. Problem 3, our devices are all different and will all display the photo differently.

Then each post invariably comes with the caveat "The photo makes it look worse than it actually is in real life"... which then begs the question why f'king bother doing it then!

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
I think I slightly yellow screen is easier to live with than one that’s slightly yellower at the top or bottom; uneven screens are really visually distracting!

Agreed but as I mentioned, every max and XS I checked in the apple store at the weekend was uneven. So the chances of getting an even one seem low

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015

This is really weird. Mine was more yellow at the bottom than at the top in the beginning. Now the problem resolved to my eyes and the screen looks very even. I'm happy now.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
My XS looks fine on that same screen with same wallpaper in DND during bed time mode. Took this photo with my 8. Variance among these displays is insane. My serial starts with C3 fwiw. Compared it to several floor models and it's the same as or better than most of them. Serial number / factory means nothing in my humble opinion, it is a total lottery based on my experience.

***EDIT- I had auto brightness off and set brightness to minimum and it looks perfect to me. If I leave auto brightness enabled it does appear a little brighter / more gray, because the brightness slider was not all the way at minimum, despite being in a pitch black room. This isn't hardware related in my humble opinion.

View attachment 790956

Just for the record the one I returned was a C3, horrible yellow/orange screen and not as bright as my new DN.

CC

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Just for the record the one I returned was a C3, horrible yellow/orange screen and not as bright as my new DN.

CC
And the DN that I got and returned had a more drastic pink shift at an angle and was dimmer than my C3 that I kept. Serial means nothing in my opinion. It's pure luck of the draw.

Reactions: lancastor

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
This thread and forum is dangerous. I stopped checking for every issue mentioned on this forum along time ago and now just enjoy my phone. Also I’m on the iup so only keep it for next year.

I don't actively check for issues either, but I experience them nonetheless and have taken private action to get them addressed for years. It was after consistent repeatable issues that I came here to find out if I'm alone or not. I do agree there's quite a tendency to have anything posted here become a train for like-minded commentary, and that's in reference to both good and bad experiences. I do like to keep my eye out for developing issues still though, I feel it's important no matter what it may be. I've shown people lots of the small issues over the last 10 years of smartphones and it brings new found attention to things that have always existed but the general day-to-day consumer won't notice or be bothered by. Most people on here are not day-to-day consumers that take the time to converse, in any medium, the user experience of their phone beyond turning it on and using it. Short from turning off spontaneously or any similar obvious disruption the general user brushes off almost all of the issues we flag here.

Reactions: Harthag

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
And the DN that I got and returned had a more drastic pink shift at an angle and was dimmer than my C3 that I kept. Serial means nothing in my opinion. It's pure luck of the draw.

Yes. If you want a perfect display, get a job working for the DisplayMate review site. Apple will send you a hand-picked phone that's sure to please.

Reactions: Harthag

KevMalone

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
That's kinda what mine looks like. Sight gradient from top to bottom, more pink towards the top. Unless the pink gradient I'm seeing is actually my phone. Lol.Tried to take a pic of mine with my X, but you can't see the pink for some reason.
How do you think mine looks? I personally don’t mind it and it looks fine for my eyes.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
OK Guys - just been to my EE Store. I had a play with both the XS and XS Max and compared to my X.

There but be some bad screens out there as BOTH XS and XS Max had that whiter than white screen whilst looked identical to my X.
For the white, I used Apple Music app and iMessage as those are the two that I use with lots of white background. No sign of a yellow screen with them.

This means that there is hope!

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Here is my iPhone XS on the left, True Tone is defective and the display is too. The yellow is more harsh on the XS, without True Tone, the display has a warm tone and is more dimmer than my old X (pictures don’t do it justice, due to color balance and my 5S just can’t represent it properly)

View attachment 790424 View attachment 790425 View attachment 790426 View attachment 790427

As promised, the iPhone XS is the one on top and iPhone X at the bottom. Same brightness levels.

I used an iPhone 5S to take a photo of this, so the representation isn’t accurate. First photo I tapped to focus on the iPhone X which overexposed the iPhone XS because it’s black level is so washed out.

I did tap to focus on the iPhone XS which shows what it looks like. DND during bedtime should be almost black including notifications, not grey.

This is one of three display issues in encountering with two iPhones so far. iPhone XS Max was perfect as my iPhone X

View attachment 790507 View attachment 790508

So you have manipulated the picture? What does the original look like?

I’ve posted them earlier. Here they are.
[doublepost=1538417118][/doublepost]
Yeah, but let’s not knowingly add in another layer of manipulation we can avoid.

If you actually bothered to see my previous posts and not take my recent comment out of context, then you’d know I’ve uploaded unaltered images of my displays prior to that one. It was only a dramatization to show how different it was, because the camera couldn’t capture an accurate representation.

Last edited by a moderator:

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
gftthbgfgvbhnhgvbhjnmbmbvc xnmbvcfdxscfdxcxdxxfddfrdfdswaszzZ
True Tone on the Xs Max is just way too aggressive at making whites look dingy dirty. Max on left and 8 Plus on right

First image is True Tone enabled on both.

Second image is True Tone disabled on both. The 8 Plus is way brighter at Max setting and whiter, which is why the text appears washed out but in real life it’s clearer.

This is my first OLED device and I’m not impressed. I don’t stare at black screens all day where it makes a visible difference. The Max in the pictures is actually my second Max. The first Max has even worse yellow whites and is going to be returned because WiFi intermittently stopped working on it.
Apple is doing something to these OLED screen its not the OLED screen. Was at Bestbuy and compare the Note 9 vs Max and the Note9 blew away the Max.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I feel like I have seen some nice displays but shocked I picked up a few random XS and XS max at the apple store and 100 percent auto brightness off and True Tone they were kinda dull and dingy

Apple shows how much they care removing the Headphone adapter and including a 5w

Why wouldn’t they skimp on displays also?

They probably heckled Samsung down in price as a supplier so Samsung gave them crappier panels that still power on and pass Extremely basic quality control standards as a result.

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
I took mine back and got a new Max. The new Max isn't two toned (yellow top/pink bottom). However, the colors are much duller than my X. May have to live with it or just keep my X from last year at this point.

I think there is something to Samsung selling Apple their B screens and keeping their A screens for their galaxy series. Very frustrating for a $1,800 phone!

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
gftthbgfgvbhnhgvbhjnmbmbvc xnmbvcfdxscfdxcxdxxfddfrdfdswaszzZ

Apple is doing something to these OLED screen its not the OLED screen. Was at Bestbuy and compare the Note 9 vs Max and the Note9 blew away the Max.
They are trying to make them look like LCDs. I don't like the super bright reds on Samsung phones but agree the Note 9 looks better and you can actually adjust all of the screen settings unlike Apples crappy filter options.

Reactions: BigSky20 and dazz87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.