Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Ughh .. My post over at /r/Apple has been silently removed and censored. (Goodbye reddit with your censored discussions and shills, censored discussion is no discussion at all)

Like all of you, I do not like the screen quality of the XS and do not agree with the stellar displaymate review.

1) The white point color temperature off is NOT 6500k. I have heard others that it looks this yellow because that it how a calibrated display is supposed to look.
(~6500k is supposed to be paper white, not a shade of beige)

As a result I find all colors significantly off across the board.

I find reds to be orange-ish and greens to be harsh neons.

REFERENCE: https://i.postimg.cc/ZTtrkrZT/Image-1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/fbgFNbb1/226_E617_D-_A701-43_A2-_AC48-_F9_EB1_FDD546_F.png

https://i.postimg.cc/Gp8kN3TM/output.png

2) The viewing angles are horrendously bad.

I can have BaconReader appear pink at the top, whiteish in the middle, and light yellow at the bottom at a very shallow ~10 degree angle.

This is not inherit to OLED technology since I both had Galaxy phones in the past and currently have an LG OLED TV. White is the most sensitive color to viewing angles on OLED, but it usually isn't this BAD.

3) Worst of all, if that wasn't enough

If not using he screen at full brightness, highlight detail is lost.

The brightness toggle in control center clips white point while leaving everything the shadows and mids the same. This completely crushes highlight detail.

---

The rest of the phone is great, but this is a serious downgrade.

I find this screen worse than a CHEAP LCD, let alone a good LCD or OLED.

This gives OLED tech and Apple a bad name.

---

Can anyone with the non yellow-tint phones take a picture of the above image.

Did ya have an x or one to compare to?

whiskeysips

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Did ya have an x or one to compare to?

unfortunately not.

I did view this image on (5) iPhone XS and (1) iPhone XS Max.

All of them have yellow tint and failed color reproduction on this image miserably.

In additional, I also went to a few T-mobile retail stores and their display models also had yellow tint, tru-tone turned off.

I will either have to visit an Apple store, or maybe someone on here can view the reference image on a non-defective screen.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
unfortunately not.

I did view this image on (5) iPhone XS and (1) iPhone XS Max.

All of them have yellow tint and failed color reproduction on this image miserably.

In additional, I also went to a few T-mobile retail stores and their display models also had yellow tint, tru-tone turned off.

I will either have to visit an Apple store, or maybe someone on here can view the reference image on a non-defective screen.

I wonder if it’s ios 12 calibration or what for people who have had a few units and came from an X, previously satisfied

These are as best I can tell Samsung sourced. Is Samsung using cheaper binned panels than last year, but same specs on paper?

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Question:

Looking at my Max screen head on produces a slight yellow tone with True Tone off. I hate the yellow tone and don’t use True Tone.

However, if I tilt it up or down slightly, I get a blue shift (which I like) but as I tilt the top (speaker) away from me, I see the slight yellow in the keyboard area and when on white backgrounds - is this normal?

I also have the OLED LG TV and there are no tone changes and no yellow spots but I think this is due to the fact that phones have coated glass on the front and TV’s don’t.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Viewing angle issue can‘t be a software problem.

Degradation in image quality due to viewing angle changes are a function of the physical properties of the display technology. I've linked a brief discussion about the issue, and how changes in black levels, brightness and color shift result from LCD and OLED design. The discussion is about TVs, where manufacturers may have more options to address the issue, but it should be somewhat relevant to phone displays also.

With TVs, most people view them nearly head-on and don't move once they've plopped down on their sofa. With phones, the display is moving around a lot with respect to the user so that viewing angles are constantly changing which exacerbates the issue. But the linked discussion also includes rankings of various TVs regarding viewing angle, so manufacturers do have the ability to improve the display within the constraints of the technology.

This doesn't excuse poor black levels that some posters have shown when viewing the XS head-on. And the viewing angle issue is different from the base color temperature issue (apart from color shift).

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle

SamIam06

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
That’s OLED. Back when people were complaining about the LCD display tints and demanding OLED displays to solve the problem I told them OLED was going to create more issues that way than it solved because there’s an even higher variance among different samples of OLED displays than there is among the very refined LCD displays Apple was using in the 7’s and 8’s.

I found that out the hard way going to Android phones.
[doublepost=1537532764][/doublepost]
Yes. That’s a trait of all OLED phone displays I’ve seen so far. Some display it more severely than others.

The iPhone X is OLED. When comparing XS to X, you can see the tint only on the XS. This is not an OLED vs LCD issue. This is a XS issue plain and simple. Not enough of an issue to completely return the phone, however it does warrant further inspection from an Apple rep. There is also talk about the panels coming from 2 different manufacturers. I’ve set an appointment for Monday at Apple to see if they have more insight to this. As of now, I still have my X that I need to go trade in on Monday so it will be the perfect opportunity to show the significant difference to Apple regarding this yellowish tint. I love the XS Max, especially due to its screen size, however it’s annoying to know that I spent $1500 on a phone whose display quality looks worse then my previous phone that is also an OLED.

voidedcyanide

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Question:

Looking at my Max screen head on produces a slight yellow tone with True Tone off. I hate the yellow tone and don’t use True Tone.

However, if I tilt it up or down slightly, I get a blue shift (which I like) but as I tilt the top (speaker) away from me, I see the slight yellow in the keyboard area and when on white backgrounds - is this normal?

I also have the OLED LG TV and there are no tone changes and no yellow spots but I think this is due to the fact that phones have coated glass on the front and TV’s don’t.

I’m having this exact issue on XS Max. The yellow patch isolates either to the top or bottom depending on how I hold it, and having True Tone on exacerbates it somewhat, not helped by a slightly warmer screen in the first place which makes it more obvious.

Now going back and checking my X (which my partner inherited) I do think that it also did this, it just isn’t as obvious due to a slightly cooler and it obviously a smaller screen and True Tone seems less aggressive. I was convinced I had a faulty unit but I never noticed this on the X until I started comparing the two, so now I don’t know what to think.

Reactions: maka344

SamIam06

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
It's just different, not broken. The complainer is probably using a monitor or older Apple device with a lot more blue in it.

Break your car's windshield and get the non-OEM replacement glass that your insurance will cover, and you'll see things a whole new way for about a week ... then after that, it will seem normal, or normal enough.

I'm getting to the age where it's usually my eyes, not the world, that is the problem.

The iPhone X is OLED. When comparing my XS Max to my X (original screen, no replacement), you can see the tint only on the XS. This is not an OLED vs LCD issue. This is a XS issue plain and simple. Not enough of an issue to completely return the phone, however it does warrant further inspection from an Apple rep. There is also talk about the panels coming from 2 different manufacturers. I’ve set an appointment for Monday at Apple to see if they have more insight to this. As of now, I still have my X that I need to go trade in on Monday so it will be the perfect opportunity to show the significant difference to Apple regarding this yellowish tint. I love the XS Max, especially due to its screen size, however it’s annoying to know that I spent $1500 on a phone whose display quality looks worse then my previous phone that is also an OLED.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
2) The viewing angles are horrendously bad.

I can have BaconReader appear pink at the top, whiteish in the middle, and light yellow at the bottom at a very shallow ~10 degree angle.

Sounds like it’s working fine to me.

cooking+bacon.jpg

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Are all XS display are bad or is there a small chance to get a good display when ordering today at the online store.

I haven‘t seen a good XS Max display yet.

The Apple Store told me it‘s better to wait until December to place a new order.

Not all are bad. My XS Max is perfect. No issue with any pinks or blues. It's uniform and white. There are only a handful of people complaining in this thread, iPhone sell in the bazillions.

Reactions: Seth Matthews

SamIam06

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
The tint shift when off-axis is normal for the OLED iPhones (and possibly other OLED phones). I've noticed it and these things normally do my head in, but it's a characteristic of the screen technology, so it won't bother me. Suggest you either deal with it, or return the phone. It shouldn't be new news as the world stopped spinning last year when it was noticed on the X.

Get an XR

The iPhone X is OLED. When comparing XS to X, you can see the tint only on the XS. This is not an OLED vs LCD issue. This is a XS issue plain and simple. Not enough of an issue to completely return the phone, however it does warrant further inspection from an Apple rep. There is also talk about the panels coming from 2 different manufacturers. I’ve set an appointment for Monday at Apple to see if they have more insight to this. As of now, I still have my X that I need to go trade in on Monday so it will be the perfect opportunity to show the significant difference to Apple regarding this yellowish tint. I love the XS Max, especially due to its screen size, however it’s annoying to know that I spent $1500 on a phone whose display quality looks worse then my previous phone that is also an OLED.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

But if you search the internet you will see that the X had this issue last year too, to the point Apple issued a statement to say it was normal. It may not have affected ALL X’s, the same as it doesn’t affect ALL XS Max’s.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Well that is very encouraging. The replacement exchange I got at the Apple store yesterday is also a serial number DN. I haven’t even bothered to open it and check the screen out yet as I’ve wasted enough time this weekend dealing with Apple related issues.

Of course the imbeciles working at the Apple store tried to tell me that the piss yellow phone I posted pictures of here looked “perfect” to have them. I actually a joint venture customer which usually affords me somewhat better service. The business team was busy when I went into the store and I didn’t want to wait so I just dealt with a regular sales rep. I love the whole “OK I guess will exchange it if that’s what you really want”. Of course you’ll exchange it… I’m within the 14 day window and it’s a no questions asked thing, thanks anyway. Makes me laugh. When my business contact called me afterword I let her know how laughable the service was. She didn’t disagree.

Please let me know your findings on the new unit.

CC

Reactions: Tibits

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
View attachment 790813
I do have a picture of an X and an Xs side by side. Both devices are registered to me.
The Xs has a yellower tint. The X is bluish white. Same settings on both.
I find the yellow tint to be undesirable, but Apple believes the yellow tint is healthier for our vision..hence tru-tone?
The yellow is horrible but what’s worse is what it’s doing to the contrast. Look at the E30 white bookmark vs the gray background.
[doublepost=1538327769][/doublepost]
Please let me know your findings on the new unit.

CC
Was yours an XS or XS Max?

Reactions: symphony

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
View attachment 790813
I do have a picture of an X and an Xs side by side. Both devices are registered to me.
I find the yellow tint to be undesirable, but Apple believes the yellow tint is healthier for our vision..hence tru-tone?

Thats what mine looked like, the new I just received yesterday looks like my/your X. I hated that yellow tint.

CC
[doublepost=1538328155][/doublepost]
The yellow is horrible but what’s worse is what it’s doing to the contrast. Look at the E30 white bookmark vs the gray background.

Mine was an XS

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West

It is an incidental pic of middling quality.
Camera was a 12.9" iPad pro2. No due dillgence or picture prep. Just taken to show the tint.

Reactions: thelead

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
There is hope!

I have an XS with the pink/yellow tint and dull screen compared to my X, I ordered another (still in 14 day return) and just received it yesterday. I kept the first for comparison, the screen on the new XS is perfect! I guess I lucked out. It is as good (white/brightness) as my X or better, and way better than the original XS. Color uniform just perfect. Moral of this story is there are good screens out there. Reading these message I was begging to think it was a lost case but I was pleasantly surprised. Now I just have to transfer my apple care from the phone I am mailing back today to my new XS. This was a Space Grey 256 gb XS first 2 numbers in serial are DN.

Something else I just noticed is that cell signal is a full bar better in my home in exact locations.
I guess thats a plus.

CC

Just when I thought I should not return it.

How's the color shift on your unit? Does it go white > pink > blue or just white > blue?

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Last yr X has the same problem. Apple not fixing this. Just keep returning till you get a good one.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I've decided to just keep my XS and not play the return/exchange game in search for a panel that I couldn't even find in multiple apple stores with their demo units. I just hope that one day apple will add a white point calibration tool in iOS.

I've just disabled auto-brightness and running the iphone at near 100% most of the time for the brightest white to hide the yellow for now.
Auto brightness is a nice feature. Shouldn’t have to remove features to like the it.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
I just came back from the Apple store in Watford UK. I checked 4 XS Max and 2XS phones. ALL of them were uneven with gradients from top to bottom, mostly more pinkish towards the top (on max brightness). One had a tilt like my first max with blue down the left side and pink down the right side. Another went uniformly pink before blue.

They were all slightly less yellow than mine but mine is less yellow than when I got it so I do believe these phones shift a bit from yellow after some hours.

Regardless, all very disappointing. I am yet to see a really good display for this generation.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Interesting. It kind of doesn’t make sense because OLED should be able to reproduce true blacks. Maybe it’s a bug in how iOS is implementing the DND screen? What does it look like if you view a completely black wallpaper or picture?

Same effect. It is true black on both, but the system notifications that display in a dark shade of grey is washed out on the XS. And the clock leans more towards yellow than the X.

Well that is very encouraging. The replacement exchange I got at the Apple store yesterday is also a serial number DN. I haven’t even bothered to open it and check the screen out yet as I’ve wasted enough time this weekend dealing with Apple related issues.

Of course the imbeciles working at the Apple store tried to tell me that the piss yellow phone I posted pictures of here looked “perfect” to have them. I actually a joint venture customer which usually affords me somewhat better service. The business team was busy when I went into the store and I didn’t want to wait so I just dealt with a regular sales rep. I love the whole “OK I guess will exchange it if that’s what you really want”. Of course you’ll exchange it… I’m within the 14 day window and it’s a no questions asked thing, thanks anyway. Makes me laugh. When my business contact called me afterword I let her know how laughable the service was. She didn’t disagree.

Mine was C3... I should’ve checked the other models I had. And I had the same customer service experience as you, terrible.

But if you search the internet you will see that the X had this issue last year too, to the point Apple issued a statement to say it was normal. It may not have affected ALL X’s, the same as it doesn’t affect ALL XS Max’s.

Apple only addressed the color shifting issue, not the yellow-tint issue, dimmer screen, along with the terrible True Tone that’s gotten worse, and washed out black levels.

View attachment 790813

Was that with True Tone enabled on both devices? Nonetheless I’ve experience a similar issues, and I found no resolve swapping a device these past weeks. All the same displays.

The whitepoint on the XS is also ‘darker’, it’s hard to notice until you turn off True Tone and the whites look more grey and yellow (which looks more dimmer than my X)

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
My shift goes from white dead on > yellow > pink > blue. Be nice on psychedelics but the constant rainbow is a bit much for every day use. Mine is a DN serial number fwiw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.