Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Just so you know, I’m seeing the same thing on XS models as well (which is what I and my wife own).

I’m starting to think these bad calibrated displays are more common than last year’s.

It’s definitely not the worse... but the iPhone X I had is far more superior... for an s-cycle that is supposed to be an improvement to last year’s design ended up becoming a downgrade, that’s my opinion.

- Display shows harsher yellow with True Tone
- Without True Tone, the whitepoint leans towards yellow
- Display appears more dimmer than iPhone X
- Black levels are washed out, especially with the lowest brightness setting
- Colors appear muted as the brightness gets lower, in comparison to my iPhone X

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Just made another swap, and it was the same. Going back for one last swap. If it doesn’t change then I guess I’ll put up with some bad light level and yellow tint. I’m pretty disappointed, should’ve ordered the regular XS instead of the Max on day one.

If Apple did have LG manufacture displays for them l, then I’d say these were it. :’/

Dang man, sucks that you did a genius swap. For future reference, never do a genius swap. Always do a retail return and then but a new retail unit.

Now that you've genius swapped, you cant return your iPhone, so you are stuck with the XS Max with no recourse from here. Also the serial numbers now don't match your box, which could affect resale.

ALWAYS ALWAYS retail return. NEVER NEVER Genius swap. This has been mentioned several times in this thread.
[doublepost=1538258556][/doublepost]
I’m starting to think these bad calibrated displays are more common than last year’s.

It’s definitely not the worse... but the iPhone X I had is far more superior... for an s-cycle that is supposed to be an improvement to last year’s design ended up becoming a downgrade, that’s my opinion.

- Display shows harsher yellow with True Tone
- Without True Tone, the whitepoint leans towards yellow
- Display appears more dimmer than iPhone X
- Black levels are washed out, especially with the lowest brightness setting
- Colors appear muted as the brightness gets lower, in comparison to my iPhone X

This has happened with every release since the 3GS. Wait 6 weeks, better shot at a good screen.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Wow you are actually going to put up with it? Sorry to say but that screen is horrible. No way im dropping that much to have a screen looking like that. Compare to last yr X it looks like a low quality lcd screen

I know, man. :/ it’s absolutely terrible

But I’m a sucker for the certain features on the iPhone XS. It’s very unfortunate that I have to downgrade the display.

Will update when I make a swap and see if I get a better iPhone display

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I changed my Max in store today the guy was so rude saying he shouldn't have and its not an issue but after arguing they agreed and my new one is MUCH better so happy, anyone with this issue don't be worried to demand a new one

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Dang man, sucks that you did a genius swap. For future reference, never do a genius swap. Always do a retail return and then but a new retail unit.

Now that you've genius swapped, you cant return your iPhone, so you are stuck with the XS Max with no recourse from here. Also the serial numbers now don't match your box, which could affect resale.

ALWAYS ALWAYS retail return. NEVER NEVER Genius swap. This has been mentioned several times in this thread.
[doublepost=1538258556][/doublepost]

This has happened with every release since the 3GS. Wait 6 weeks, better shot at a good screen.

Yeah, lesson learned!

And also, that’s how I ended up with a good display with my iPhone X by waiting later on.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Yeah, lesson learned!

And also, that’s how I ended up with a good display with my iPhone X by waiting later on.
I had to cos on the update plan if I return my financie might decline and they had no stock so only option was to swap

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I only like doing the initial upgrade online. If you go into the store they want you to trade in immediately. With mail trade in you have 14 days so you still can keep current phone if you return new.

Mattgfx

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
I’m noticing this slight yellow issue and also washed out colors on my XS mainly in sunlight.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Apple always has cooler, white, perfect screens on their display phones. Its basically bait and switch.

I don’t think this is true. I’ve always noticed different color temperature screens among the iPhones on display at the Apple store. Yesterday I was at the Apple store in Geneva and found both the XS and XS Max that were on display (and the ones that were available to check out) to be warmer than my iPhone 7.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
So is this problem software related (false calibration), hardware (bad displays) or just the glue that needs to settle? Mine also has a yellow hue and - while it is quite yellow compared to my iMac/MacBook Pro/iPhone 8 Plus and iPad Pro, it "seems" to have gotten a little less. True Tone activated is a no go though which is a real shame. That just looks horrible. I am wondering though: With TT off on the XS Max and on with my other devices, they then match. Is it possible that this is a software bug and iOS has TT on as standard on the iPhone? Very unlikely but it seems that's the only time they match in colour temperature.

All other Apple devices I have appear to have the same tone of display and it's nice and uniform. Maybe I've just been lucky in the past. But the iP XS Max stands out. Next Apple Store is 2hrs away and don't won't to start the swapping lottery. Apart from that the device is perfect. For the first time the buttons are all nice and stiff, no wobbly ones, the camera doesn't have any dust specs under the glass and the battery is going strong. It does decrease your overall experience with Apple devices when you have to check things to make sure your device is ok and can't rely on their quality control (like one used to be able to - it all started with my iPhone 5 and #scuffgate when even replacement devices came out of the box dented and scratched and phone calls made you sound like a robot).

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
Viewing angle issue can‘t be a software problem.

No that's OLED. But the colour configuration / calibration is / must be a software thing. As the screen outputs what it does and the software adapts to that colour. According to Apple each screen is individually calibrated but i can't imagine they go through that procedure for every phone.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Just noticed a similar thread with hundreds of replies in the iPad section, & what do you know, it's the same OP.

Now I don't want to assume things but there's a common denominator here. Could that common denominator be the issue?

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
There is hope!

I have an XS with the pink/yellow tint and dull screen compared to my X, I ordered another (still in 14 day return) and just received it yesterday. I kept the first for comparison, the screen on the new XS is perfect! I guess I lucked out. It is as good (white/brightness) as my X or better, and way better than the original XS. Color uniform just perfect. Moral of this story is there are good screens out there. Reading these message I was begging to think it was a lost case but I was pleasantly surprised. Now I just have to transfer my apple care from the phone I am mailing back today to my new XS. This was a Space Grey 256 gb XS first 2 numbers in serial are DN.

Something else I just noticed is that cell signal is a full bar better in my home in exact locations.
I guess thats a plus.

CC

PJ.

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
It’s called adjusting people. Just use the damn phone and your eyes will adjust.

Or you could see it the other way that from the price point and the way Apple market their items as perfect, people expect better.

(I haven’t got an iPhone X and my iPhone 8 Plus was really good)

Reactions: symphony

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Just noticed a similar thread with hundreds of replies in the iPad section, & what do you know, it's the same OP.

Now I don't want to assume things but there's a common denominator here. Could that common denominator be the issue?

Well considering the dozens and dozens of other people on here with the same issue, I hardly think so.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
As promised, the iPhone XS is the one on top and iPhone X at the bottom. Same brightness levels.

I used an iPhone 5S to take a photo of this, so the representation isn’t accurate. First photo I tapped to focus on the iPhone X which overexposed the iPhone XS because it’s black level is so washed out.

I did tap to focus on the iPhone XS which shows what it looks like. DND during bedtime should be almost black including notifications, not grey.

This is one of three display issues in encountering with two iPhones so far. iPhone XS Max was perfect as my iPhone X

View attachment 790507 View attachment 790508

Interesting. It kind of doesn’t make sense because OLED should be able to reproduce true blacks. Maybe it’s a bug in how iOS is implementing the DND screen? What does it look like if you view a completely black wallpaper or picture?

tgb87

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
I upgraded from a X to an XS max and the yellow tint is obvious and it's very annoying. There is also a slight color shift when viewing at angles. The first problem appears to be calibration. I adjusted the hue under settings to get the colors to match the X. It feels okay now.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I've decided to just keep my XS and not play the return/exchange game in search for a panel that I couldn't even find in multiple apple stores with their demo units. I just hope that one day apple will add a white point calibration tool in iOS.

I've just disabled auto-brightness and running the iphone at near 100% most of the time for the brightest white to hide the yellow for now.

Reactions: MAXAAPL

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I've decided to just keep my XS and not play the return/exchange game in search for a panel that I couldn't even find in multiple apple stores with their demo units. I just hope that one day apple will add a white point calibration tool in iOS.

I've just disabled auto-brightness and running the iphone at near 100% most of the time for the brightest white to hide the yellow for now.

I give you one week before you crack and take it back

Reactions: thelead

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
There is hope!...the screen on the new XS is perfect!...It is as good (white/brightness) as my X or better, and way better than the original XS. Color uniform just perfect. Moral of this story is there are good screens out there...This was a Space Grey 256 gb XS first 2 numbers in serial are DN.

Well that is very encouraging. The replacement exchange I got at the Apple store yesterday is also a serial number DN. I haven’t even bothered to open it and check the screen out yet as I’ve wasted enough time this weekend dealing with Apple related issues.

Of course the imbeciles working at the Apple store tried to tell me that the piss yellow phone I posted pictures of here looked “perfect” to have them. I actually a joint venture customer which usually affords me somewhat better service. The business team was busy when I went into the store and I didn’t want to wait so I just dealt with a regular sales rep. I love the whole “OK I guess will exchange it if that’s what you really want”. Of course you’ll exchange it… I’m within the 14 day window and it’s a no questions asked thing, thanks anyway. Makes me laugh. When my business contact called me afterword I let her know how laughable the service was. She didn’t disagree.

Last edited:

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Well that is very encouraging. The replacement exchange I got at the Apple store yesterday is also a serial number DN. I haven’t even bothered to open it and check the screen out yet as I’ve wasted enough time this weekend dealing with Apple related issues.

Of course the imbeciles working at the Apple store tried to tell me that the piss yellow phone I posted pictures of here looked “perfect” to have them. I actually a joint venture customer which usually affords me somewhat better service. The business team was busy when I went into the store and I didn’t want to wait so I just dealt with a regular sales rep. I love the whole “OK I guess will exchange it if that’s what you really want”. Of course you’ll exchange it… I’m within the 14 day window and it’s a no questions asked thing, thanks anyway. Makes me laugh. When my business contact called me afterword I let her know how laughable the service was. She didn’t disagree.
Keep us posted on the new phone. I could be tempted to exchange mine :)

Also, is yours an XS or XS Max?

whiskeysips

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Ughh .. My post over at /r/Apple has been silently removed and censored. (Goodbye reddit with your censored discussions and shills, censored discussion is no discussion at all)

Like all of you, I do not like the screen quality of the XS and do not agree with the stellar displaymate review.

1) The white point color temperature off is NOT 6500k. I have heard others that it looks this yellow because that it how a calibrated display is supposed to look.
(~6500k is supposed to be paper white, not a shade of beige)

As a result I find all colors significantly off across the board.

I find reds to be orange-ish and greens to be harsh neons.

REFERENCE: https://i.postimg.cc/ZTtrkrZT/Image-1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/fbgFNbb1/226_E617_D-_A701-43_A2-_AC48-_F9_EB1_FDD546_F.png

https://i.postimg.cc/Gp8kN3TM/output.png

2) The viewing angles are horrendously bad.

I can have BaconReader appear pink at the top, whiteish in the middle, and light yellow at the bottom at a very shallow ~10 degree angle.

This is not inherit to OLED technology since I both had Galaxy phones in the past and currently have an LG OLED TV. White is the most sensitive color to viewing angles on OLED, but it usually isn't this BAD.

3) Worst of all, if that wasn't enough

If not using he screen at full brightness, highlight detail is lost.

The brightness toggle in control center clips white point while leaving everything the shadows and mids the same. This completely crushes highlight detail.

---

The rest of the phone is great, but this is a serious downgrade.

I find this screen worse than a CHEAP LCD, let alone a good LCD or OLED.

This gives OLED tech and Apple a bad name.

---

Can anyone with the non yellow-tint phones take a picture of the above image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.