Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I've had some more time to test out my third XS Max this morning. The new one is still warm and still has blue shift (although nothing like the second one) but it's not all that yellow. You can really see the difference side by side with anything grey. The first one has cream colored whites and sandy yellow greys. The new one is not totally white but its a different shade, maybe a bit more pink but it's hard to say. It's also not as bright as the first one either, but that's really only noticeable side by side. Using the new one on it's own without having the old one next to it, the problems are not as immediately apparent on the new one. The first one always looked dingy the minute I picked it up and I could not get used to it all week.

After 3 phones my brain is probably becoming conditioned to look for problems. If this third phone had been my first I might not have had any complaints. I'm going to transfer all my stuff to the new phone and see if I can live with the slight blue shift and the warmer greys over the next few days. If not I still have 2 weeks to return the newest one.

Edit: Also, not sure if it matters but my first yellow phone is an F2 and was manufactured Sept. 10th. The newest one is an FF and was manufactured Aug. 13th.

Last edited:

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I haven't read this entire thread, but I've used a colorimeter to calibrate my computer displays. The accurately adjusted display is often warmer than when I started. I bet a lot of people would think an accurately adjusted display is too warm. They often prefer displays that make white look on the cool side. This is a separate issue from the blue shift that can be seen on OLED displays.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I haven't read this entire thread, but I've used a colorimeter to calibrate my computer displays. The accurately adjusted display is often warmer than when I started. I bet a lot of people would think an accurately adjusted display is too warm. They often prefer displays that make white look on the cool side. This is a separate issue from the blue shift that can be seen on OLED displays.

Color calibration has been debunked as the cause of this issue. Read the thread. Check out pics of the XS next to the X. This isnt a 6500K calibration issue.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Well, white balance is a thing. And white point can be set accurately. That's part of what calibrating a display involves. However, whether or not the OP (or anyone else complaining) understands this I can't say.

My Max is certainly on the warmer side of things. Not a deal breaker as I don't do any colour critical work on it.

Is there any point at which it's not really a problem with a device but with the user's perception of the device?

Maybe being the yellow “tint” your describing is natural and the blue tint is what’s not normal?

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
...I've used a colorimeter to calibrate my computer displays. The accurately adjusted display is often warmer than when I started. I bet a lot of people would think an accurately adjusted display is too warm. They often prefer displays that make white look on the cool side...

No doubt. However all my computer displays have been calibrated as I do a fair amount of photography. My TVs are professionally calibrated as well. I am accustomed to how a properly calibrated display looks. While my X pictured in the photos is definitely on the cool side, the XS is way to far in the other direction. It's not even close.

The fact that Apple allows such wide variation on $1k+ phone displays is disappointing. They have obviously prioritized finding the components and capacity to pump out enough phones over QC. People are buying them anyway, so Apple (and other manufacturers) don't care. It becomes normalized, so the sales reps, genius bar staff and fanboys will indignantly tell you your phone is within spec. It's why I have no qualms returning, returning, returning (for any reason, not just the display) and then demanding replacements under AC+ once that window is closed.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
No doubt. However all my computer displays have been calibrated as I do a fair amount of photography. My TVs are professionally calibrated as well. I am accustomed to how a properly calibrated display looks. While my X pictured in the photos is definitely on the cool side, the XS is way to far in the other direction. It's not even close.

The fact that Apple allows such wide variation on $1k+ phone displays is disappointing. They have obviously prioritized finding the components and capacity to pump out enough phones over QC. People are buying them anyway, so Apple (and other manufacturers) don't care. It becomes normalized, so the sales reps, genius bar staff and fanboys will indignantly tell you your phone is within spec. It's why I have no qualms returning, returning, returning (for any reason, not just the display) and then demanding replacements under AC+ once that window is closed.

Totally agree with you. I'm not saying that some of the phones don't have defective or poorly calibrated panels. For an expensive phone, there should be better control over the production variation. But my point was that someone actually may have a pretty accurate display but they're not used to a warmer display temperature and will go chasing the elusive perfect display.

Reactions: Tibits

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Well, white balance is a thing. And white point can be set accurately. That's part of what calibrating a display involves. However, whether or not the OP (or anyone else complaining) understands this I can't say.

My Max is certainly on the warmer side of things. Not a deal breaker as I don't do any colour critical work on it.

White point can't be truly adjusted on the iPhone. Color filters are not the solution as already stated. Most people aren't complaining of warm displays. They are complaining about abnormally warm / yellow tinted displays. Or very yellow tint when viewing the screen head on with drastic color shift at the slightest angle. True some of it may just be user perception. But some of the photos posted here prove that some screens are absolute trash. No amount of adjustment can fix an abnormally yellow screen. Same thing with phones plagued by a pink tint. There's no way to adjust it out without affecting other colors.

Reactions: kre62

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
I am starting to thing that lg made screens for carrier Xs max and Samsung made for sim free. Someone needs to have a poll to vote whether the issues are with sim free or carrier phones

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Totally agree with you. I'm not saying that some of the phones don't have defective or poorly calibrated panels. For an expensive phone, there should be better control over the production variation. But my point was that someone actually may have a pretty accurate display but they're not used to a warmer display temperature and will go chasing the elusive perfect display.

You and a billion other over the years have tried to make that point. It'd been shown time and time again that it's not what we are talking about. Try reading the thread first next time instead of coming in here like you're the first to think of color calibration.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018

but colour wise the white point is accurate.

if you take a picture of an object and look at the object you took a pic of, comparing it to the pic, it will be accurate. once you shift the display to a cooler temperature, that object is no longer accurate.

i get it, we as humans associate yellow with bad, dirty, ugly, etc.. the screens only "look" yellow when directly compared to a screen that is hasn't been calibrated correctly (blue).

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
You and a billion other over the years have tried to make that point. It'd been shown time and time again that it's not what we are talking about. Try reading the thread first next time instead of coming in here like you're the first to think of color calibration.

Since you first instructed me to read the thread, I've read the entire thread and I have good reading comprehension. I stand by my comment. I think you need to lower your color temperature.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I have 2 one starts with C3 and one DN... Both 256 gb XS good or bad?
[doublepost=1538131027][/doublepost]WTF is this mean:

I have a launch day XS that has slight yellow tint, That came from China Foxcom facility directly to me. I ordered another to compare screen quality to make decision on which is better, This unit, that I get Saturday is shipping from Carlisle PA. I looked it up and thats a plant where they refurbish units! Am I getting a returned unit that possible the plant said was ok and just reboxed? This is really concerning. I am leaning toward just keeping my original unit. The serial numbers of both indicate my first unit from China has a newer build date than the one from Carlisle,

Is this possible Apple is now shipping returns they think are good as new units?

CC
Maybe. A return that the factory extensively test calibrates and can Re-flash a new Serial number since the serial numbers are no longer etched on the outside.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Since you first instructed me to read the thread, I've read the entire thread and I have good reading comprehension. I stand by my comment. I think you need to lower your color temperature.

You can’t on an iPhone. So your point is invalid. Also even if you could some of the phones in here are legitimately defective. We aren’t saying to compare agaiast an iPhone 3G. This is comparing to last years X with the same tech and supposed same calibration.

And no, color filters is not the same as adjusting your white point.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
You can’t on an iPhone. So your point is invalid. Also even if you could some of the phones in here are legitimately defective. We aren’t saying to compare agaiast an iPhone 3G. This is comparing to last years X with the same tech and supposed same calibration.

And no, color filters is not the same as adjusting your white point.

You misunderstood me. I meant you need to lower YOUR temperature. I don't understand why you seem to be so agitated. Re-read my posts. I don't doubt that some of the displays that are the subject of this thread are defective. My only point is that some people aren't used to an accurate display with a properly set white point and they think they're too warm when they're calibrated. I really don't think that's controversial.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I wonder how many returns apple could save themselves if they simply included a proper way to change display calibration settings. Think about all of the phone and iPad returns they could save themselves by having a developer add a few sliders to iOS...

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
After a week of use, my only real issue with my screen is a pink shift before the blue kicks in. It's pretty uniform and not super yellow. I think it's probably best to hold onto it despite being kinda annoyed by the pink hue at an angle. Wish it wasn't there, but the chances of getting a perfect screen seem slim to none.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Leading to this year’s iPhone I had a hunch that finding the ‘best’ display would be like winning a lottery, because from my experience with the iPhone X last year, there were a lot of inconsistencies. The same can be said about the iPhone XS now.

You’ll either receive a display with harsh color-shifting, particularly in blues or perhaps red.

Or the display temperature can lean more towards yellow, and maybe be too cool. It doesn’t help when True Tone isn’t calibrated to this and makes warming up the display too harsh.

I was able to luckily get an iPhone X last year with the perfect balance. But it sucks because there’s hardly any consistencies, it doesn’t help that the Geniuses can’t seem to notice the difference between color shifting and display temperature even when there’s references between the devices, or that they think you’re using accessibility features to tint the display or using Night Shift and True Tone, when it’s not the case.

I thought it’d be more consistent this year...

Ugh, I originally had the iPhone XS Max (which matched with my iPhone X display last year), then ended up downsizing to the regular size, however on this time it has a slight yellow tint to it. It makes the whites look off, and not appear as bright at the same brightness level compared to my iPhone X. And True Tone is even more yellow, which skews the colors on the display more than I wanted it to.

SMGreenfield

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Ellensburg, CA
OK -- here's my experience with these issues:

My new XS Max from Verizon (opened today) has a consistent screen in terms of color, but the "OLED effect" is obvious. This is my first OLED iPhone -- before today I had no idea about this issue with tilting the screen causing a change in overall color.

This "OLED effect" seems to be a major issue if you want to use your phone to actually watch something with quality color, like a movie. If you position your phone with any angle other than straight on, the colors aren't accurate.

True that even if the iPhone remains off-angle, your eyes will (usually) adjust to the color temperature of the screen -- it's mostly noticeable when shifting the screen.

XS Max seems like a winner in almost every other aspect -- but I fail to understand why OLED is considered such a "premium" display technology with such a serious downside. Given this experience with OLED, I WILL AVOID a OLED Television.

On a different note, I found the initial screen settings to be quite DIM: even after the common solution of turning off the Auto-Brightness feature (conveniently hidden in the Display Accommodations pane of the Accessibility settings), I had an issue with my brightness slider randomly failing to increase brightness beyond approximately the 70% brightness point. I'm a developer, but I was baffled. I spoke to an AppleCare tech, who suggested doing the "Reset Settings", which sort of helped, but then the issue came back.

I stumbled across a posting that described going into a dark room, turning on the Auto-Brightness feature, turning up the brightness slider all the way, then turning Auto-Brightness back off again. THIS APPEARS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM: my XS Max screen is as bright as my iPhone 6s Plus!

Back to the yellow vs blue issue: I did turn off the True Tone, because it seems to exacerbate the difference when shifting the angle of the screen. However, I also added some MORE yellow to "warm up" the blueness of the screen, using the "Color Filters" feature of the Display Accommodations preferences. Of course, now Night Shift is even warmer.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
OK -- here's my experience with these issues:

My new XS Max from Verizon (opened today) has a consistent screen in terms of color, but the "OLED effect" is obvious. This is my first OLED iPhone -- before today I had no idea about this issue with tilting the screen causing a change in overall color.

This "OLED effect" seems to be a major issue if you want to use your phone to actually watch something with quality color, like a movie. If you position your phone with any angle other than straight on, the colors aren't accurate.

True that even if the iPhone remains off-angle, your eyes will (usually) adjust to the color temperature of the screen -- it's mostly noticeable when shifting the screen.

XS Max seems like a winner in almost every other aspect -- but I fail to understand why OLED is considered such a "premium" display technology with such a serious downside. Given this experience with OLED, I WILL AVOID a OLED Television.

On a different note, I found the initial screen settings to be quite DIM: even after the common solution of turning off the Auto-Brightness feature (conveniently hidden in the Display Accommodations pane of the Accessibility settings), I had an issue with my brightness slider randomly failing to increase brightness beyond approximately the 70% brightness point. I'm a developer, but I was baffled. I spoke to an AppleCare tech, who suggested doing the "Reset Settings", which sort of helped, but then the issue came back.

I stumbled across a posting that described going into a dark room, turning on the Auto-Brightness feature, turning up the brightness slider all the way, then turning Auto-Brightness back off again. THIS APPEARS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM: my XS Max screen is as bright as my iPhone 6s Plus!

Back to the yellow vs blue issue: I did turn off the True Tone, because it seems to exacerbate the difference when shifting the angle of the screen. However, I also added some MORE yellow to "warm up" the blueness of the screen, using the "Color Filters" feature of the Display Accommodations preferences. Of course, now Night Shift is even warmer.

I have an LG OLED55C7V TV and can assure you there is no shift of colour like there is with the iPhone XS/Max. In fact I'd say no shift in colour full stop. I feel it must be Apples/Samsungs implementation of OLED that exhibits this issue.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I have an LG OLED55C7V TV and can assure you there is no shift of colour like there is with the iPhone XS/Max. In fact I'd say no shift in colour full stop. I feel it must be Apples/Samsungs implementation of OLED that exhibits this issue.

Yup this. My LG77C8, and all my previous OLEDs, exhibit absolutely no colour shift from any angle whatsoever.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

That’s true, I’ve never seen the colour shifts on OLED televisions yet on mobile phones it’s so obvious. The yellow and pink lines when some of these smartphone screens are viewed from a slightly different angle are strange. It must be the way the glass is overlaid in comparison to how TV panels are manufactured?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.